post #31 of 37 Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

This one slipped under my radar since I never watch Sundance Channel. But all y'all seem to love it and I respect my peeps' judgement. So I scheduled all 7 of these during Sunday's marathon, 3:00 thru 10:00 PM EDT. Is that all there is? Seven episodes?
I believe you are correct. As I remember, the entire mini-series took five weeks with 2 episodes the first week and 2 the last week with 1 hour episodes each of the three week in between for a total of 7 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Just saw that this series is available on Netflix. Since I lost Sundance when I dropped my Dish package from AT200 to AT120, I just put it in my queue. Looking forward to watching it!
post #33 of 37 Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

This one slipped under my radar since I never watch Sundance Channel. But all y'all seem to love it and I respect my peeps' judgement. So I scheduled all 7 of these during Sunday's marathon, 3:00 thru 10:00 PM EDT. Is that all there is? Seven episodes?
Yes, seven episodes only.
post #34 of 37 Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I liked that they wrapped everything up pretty well after seven episodes....of course most US viewers probably now feel there's a large proportion of really strange people in New Zealand!
post #35 of 37 Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

He took the documentation (results) out of the manila envelope and laid them on the table. I see no reason for him to forge the results.
I agree it was ambiguous. She said on several occasions she didn’t know who the father was. She even said it to her friends, so it isn’t like she was trying to hide it from the authorities. I still think it was Matt. Her hatred of him, especially how she would cringe when he would touch her, and his sons saying they saw him in his underwear walking around on her bed. To me the implication was clear, but it was still ambiguous.

I recorded the whole season from the marathon and binged-watch last week. My thoughts:

I think it was just misdirection. They set Matt up hard to be the villain, but in true detective fiction fashion he actually wasn't involved. He didn't rape Tui, but she probably thought he did because of the aforementioned stuff in her bed, etc. She knows about the drug manufacturing operation her dad was running out of the house she lived in. She probably knew what those [roofie] drugs were capable of doing. What she didn't know was that it was Sheriff Al, Bob, Officer Joy and their twisted buddies that did it to her. When she said "no one" raped her, she believed it. But in her mind, as well as ours, Matt was the prime suspect.

The big question for me was how much Matt knew about Al's little parties. He may have known about them, but never suspected kids would be abused there. I don't think Matt would have tolerated it, and he absolutely wouldn't have tolerated any abuse of Tui. Whatever his faults, he did love her. I was never quite sure about how much Al knew about Matt's operation or whether he was being paid off. Al sure seemed unconcerned about Matt's operation being busted, like he would if he knew his involvement in the crime was going to come up. On the other hand, he was guilty of astonishing reckless behavior, from the sex parties to the out-of-the-blue marriage proposal to Robin.

This was a really different series. I enjoyed it, but it had some very strange rhythms, out of character for Jane Campion's previous work I've seen. I never really understood the whole thing about GJ and the odd Walden-like collective of damaged women living in shipping containers. It added color (and copious gratuitous nudity - not that there's anything wrong with that), but didn't really serve to move the plot forward much. Bunny's doomed tryst with Matt highlighted his sexual deviancy, which dovetailed into the afore-mentioned misdirection, but other than that seemed pretty superfluous.

Elizabeth Moss showed some guts, especially with the nude scenes, but in the end her character remained a cipher for me. I find her very reserved and chilly as an actress (which works well for her in her principal gig as Peggy Olsen). Not sure how I feel about the series as a whole or whether it deserved award consideration. Thought it odd that New Zealand native Lucy Lawless's role of Bob Platt's wife was uncredited, not even mentioned in IMDb. It was more than a brief cameo appearance, and fairly crucial to the storyline.
post #36 of 37 Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anybody know if this was a one-off? Or will it return next year? For me it was damn good.
post #37 of 37 Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

Anybody know if this was a one-off? Or will it return next year? For me it was damn good.
Pretty sure it was a one-off, Rectify though, another Sundance series has been picked up for another set of episodes.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page