AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

+1

On another point, in this episode, The Neighbor was almost as creepy as Helena. Yuck tongue.gif I thought I was watching an adult version of babysitter-takes-over-household. Alison boffing her hubbie in the van to get even was hilarious.

It was creepy how she was trying so hard to take over. I also recall the "you just can't put on a jacket and coach" comment. The "shagging" was funny. I do remember when she smelled the pot coming from the van! That definitely helped her loosen her inhibitions wink.gif

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 832 Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

+1

On another point, in this episode, The Neighbor was almost as creepy as Helena. Yuck tongue.gif I thought I was watching an adult version of babysitter-takes-over-household. Alison boffing her hubbie in the van to get even was hilarious.

Would suck hard for her if the neighbor was NOT her watcher.....
post #273 of 832 Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Did anyone notice that there was a person recording the fight between Alison & her neighbor ? ?

there was a car with it's door open & a person was standing there with a vid cam & a light , that was right behind ( about 50 feet) Alison's mini van as Alison was kicking the crap outta that woman .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #274 of 832 Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Anyone notice that the creepy music for Helena is very similar to the sound design in the American version of The Ring?

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #275 of 832 Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

They film Tatiana performing both roles separately and then composite the two shots. It's a subtle but impressive effect, since her acting is strong enough to carry it off without a hitch.

How they did that minivan scene? it's a bit hard with the glass reflections passing by, nice CGI, I guess one scene the van has no windows and the other they add them?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #276 of 832 Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

How they did that minivan scene? it's a bit hard with the glass reflections passing by, nice CGI, I guess one scene the van has no windows and the other they add them?
there is a " how they do it "vid on the BBC site

Mike

post #277 of 832 Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Did anyone notice that there was a person recording the fight between Alison & her neighbor ? ?

there was a car with it's door open & a person was standing there with a vid cam & a light , that was right behind ( about 50 feet) Alison's mini van as Alison was kicking the crap outta that woman .
Good catch.... I'll look at it again tonight.

The Alison character is a lot of fun- she's the uptight soccer mom, prim and proper and a bit of a priss... but she can get down-n-dirty when she has to. I like it biggrin.gif

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #278 of 832 Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Allison made the subtle genius observation that I hinted at a while back... Sarah is actually the most well-adjusted of all of them.

The Sarah we first met seems like a mess... but she has adapted to the weirdness VERY quickly... the clones who had known about all this for a lot longer are still having a worse time of things... meanwhile Sarah is pulling herself and her life together as everyone else is falling apart.

Further evidence, I believe, that Sarah is the original... all the others have had some tinkering done.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #279 of 832 Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tatiana Maslany was nominated for a Critic's Choice Television Award in the Best Actress category. I guess I'll have to start watching this one pretty soon.
post #280 of 832 Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yeah but Mads Mikkelsen didn't, I highly doubt of these awards mean anything..

She will certainly nod an Emmy or a Golden Globe nomination

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #281 of 832 Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Well if they had a "Hardest working actor/actress in a TV series" award- Tatiana would without a doubt win it!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #282 of 832 Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Okay, from my reckoning, in this last episode, Tatiana Maslany played 4 clones each with a distinctive personality, accent, movements, and quirks, often with 2 in the same scene playing off each other (amazing CGI) and had both straight and lesbian sex (and was hot in both). tongue.gif

She's the hardest workin' gal in show-biz. I don't know what the British equivalent of the Emmy's are, but give her one already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Well if they had a "Hardest working actor/actress in a TV series" award- Tatiana would without a doubt win it!

Glad you agree. smile.gif
post #283 of 832 Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Allison made the subtle genius observation that I hinted at a while back... Sarah is actually the most well-adjusted of all of them.

The Sarah we first met seems like a mess... but she has adapted to the weirdness VERY quickly... the clones who had known about all this for a lot longer are still having a worse time of things... meanwhile Sarah is pulling herself and her life together as everyone else is falling apart.

Further evidence, I believe, that Sarah is the original... all the others have had some tinkering done.
+1
That's been my take all along , your above observation reinforces that & the fact the surprise everyone has had at learning that Sarah has a child

Mike

post #284 of 832 Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

+1
That's been my take all along , your above observation reinforces that & the fact the surprise everyone has had at learning that Sarah has a child

Yeah... and even more impressive about the writing on this show too is... They have embraced all of this in a way that makes sense. Sarah has grown a LOT and in doing so has appreciated AND expressed that appreciation for all that her adoptive mother did to keep her safe (and now her daughter too)... AND in a twist that never happens on other shows... the adoptive mother too is expressing appreciation and noticing that Sarah is in fact maturing...

So... Sarah has grown and made peace with mom... and mom is recognizing that.

On other shows it would either be one-sided OR not played as well... It has been a subtle thing... but mom has quickly now gone from "what the hell is wrong with you" to "damn you're handling this quite well" just as Sarah has gone from "stay out of my business" to "thanks for all that you did for me"... that basically never happens in a way that is believable on shows like this.

Think Buffy where she kept her world-saving secrets for a long time... then told mom... then mom never really accepted it... then mom dies... and Buffy eventually appreciates what her mother had to do but it was too late to have that shared moment. This show pulled that moment off basically.

post #285 of 832 Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Yeah... and even more impressive about the writing on this show too is... They have embraced all of this in a way that makes sense. Sarah has grown a LOT and in doing so has appreciated AND expressed that appreciation for all that her adoptive mother did to keep her safe (and now her daughter too)... AND in a twist that never happens on other shows... the adoptive mother too is expressing appreciation and noticing that Sarah is in fact maturing...

So... Sarah has grown and made peace with mom... and mom is recognizing that.

On other shows it would either be one-sided OR not played as well... It has been a subtle thing... but mom has quickly now gone from "what the hell is wrong with you" to "damn you're handling this quite well" just as Sarah has gone from "stay out of my business" to "thanks for all that you did for me"... that basically never happens in a way that is believable on shows like this.

Think Buffy where she kept her world-saving secrets for a long time... then told mom... then mom never really accepted it... then mom dies... and Buffy eventually appreciates what her mother had to do but it was too late to have that shared moment. This show pulled that moment off basically.

Off topic, but I disagree. Her mother knew what Buffy was by the 2nd season (School Hard). The irony of their relationship was she seemed to respect Buffy much more as a slayer than she did as a daughter..."At least she can do something right" seemed to be Joyce's attitude...which tore Buffy up. Okay, back to our regular programming. smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #286 of 832 Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Off topic, but I disagree. Her mother knew what Buffy was by the 2nd season (School Hard). The irony of their relationship was she seemed to respect Buffy much more as a slayer than she did as a daughter..."At least she can do something right" seemed to be Joyce's attitude...which tore Buffy up. Okay, back to our regular programming. smile.gif

You must have been watching a different show than I was... they had many times after that where she was trying to get Buffy to stop. Anyway, my Orphan Black point still remains that they handled this well.

post #287 of 832 Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must have been watching a different show than I was... they had many times after that where she was trying to get Buffy to stop. Anyway, my Orphan Black point still remains that they handled this well.

Same show, just a lot more viewings on my part. My wife would say too many...all I'll say is trying to get her to stop is not the same as not respecting her as a slayer. But yeah, I agree with your points about Orphan Black, All the characters have developed in ways most american tv shows would never dream of. Its very British in that regard.

post #288 of 832 Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Another good show. Only one more to go.

Next Saturday, BBCA is showing a marathon starting at Noon ET. The entire Season will be shown ending with the 9:00pm show being the final one for the season. Good time to catch up if you haven't been watching.

I'm really gonna miss this show.
post #289 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, this episode marks OB growing from a very good show to a great one. Its not only that Tatiana is amazing, they have also managed to give each of the clones their own stories to tell. None of them are merely plot devices, they all have fully developed and complex characters. with the differences in their personalities allowing the show to switch mood and tone from humor to suspense to action to whereever else they chose to go. I'm finding I'm as absorbed as much in Alison's story as I am Sarah's, for example. Plus Felix is proving to be a strong force in his own right and even Paul has become more intriging. Its still early, but this show is beginning to appear it could be a classic.

post #290 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

They did one of the things I wondered if ever had been done in such a series... Clones AND Twins! smile.gif

Meanwhile, one small nit to pick... It had to happen...

Nobody looked at that subway station footage until now? Someone walked off in front of a train, and this was the first time anyone had ever looked at it? From the sound of it, the guy working in security there had seen it before... because he said "I haven't seen it from that angle before"... but it strikes me as a bit odd that when the police were investigating the original suicide that they wouldn't have noticed and viewed the camera at that time.

post #291 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They did one of the things I wondered if ever had been done in such a series... Clones AND Twins! smile.gif

Nobody looked at that subway station footage until now? Someone walked off in front of a train, and this was the first time anyone had ever looked at it? From the sound of it, the guy working in security there had seen it before... because he said "I haven't seen it from that angle before"... but it strikes me as a bit odd that when the police were investigating the original suicide that they wouldn't have noticed and viewed the camera at that time.
the transit worker(the guy in seat @ the control house) said they looked at the videos at the time of the death ; BUT he said he hadn't looked at that angle (I took that to mean he looked at a different camera Vid & that not one )
also around here the transit cops are not the metro/city cops . Here in SF Bay Area BART (Bay Area Rapid Transport) system is actually a government in it's self . Board members are Not elected but appointed for life by a group of not elected figures .
The Transit cops (here in SF BART cops ) investigate their own accidents & have a really poor track record of follow thru . The SF BART cops have been sued multiple times due to sh*tty work . They have shot people for no reason as well .

Mike

post #292 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes sense... if no one recognized Beth then maybe no one else would have been asked to view the recordings... A minor nit anyway, but somehow I thought of it.

Meanwhile...

Surprised no one else commented on the "mysterious woman" that the Dr was talking to on the phone... by the reflection in the glass and the tone of voice, I am pretty sure that was Tatiana again playing someone new. Would be quite interesting if it turns out the original is behind all of this, so she literally would be at odds with herself!

post #293 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Makes sense... if no one recognized Beth then maybe no one else would have been asked to view the recordings... A minor nit anyway, but somehow I thought of it.

Meanwhile...

Surprised no one else commented on the "mysterious woman" that the Dr was talking to on the phone... by the reflection in the glass and the tone of voice, I am pretty sure that was Tatiana again playing someone new. Would be quite interesting if it turns out the original is behind all of this, so she literally would be at odds with herself!
Yeah as soon as seen that butt , I said to my wife there's another clone right there . (I didn't mention it was her a$$ that tipped me off smile.gif )

Mike

post #294 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Maybe mystery reflection lady is the actual mother? The actual donor of the egg for the Twins has not been identified.
post #295 of 832 Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I wondered about that too but then remembered everyone thinks it's Sarah not Beth and the transit guy said he had not seen that angle, clearly not only showing Sarah but also the purse snatch. But it had been looked at . If the cops had known it was one of their own I'm sure it would have been looked at from every angle they could find. I'm also of the opinion that the woman reflected in the window that Leakey called is another person played by Tatiana. Maybe the original.
post #296 of 832 Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Reflection Lady might have commissioned the clone program to ensure her immortality, or to provide spare organs for herself when/if needed, or some other nefarious goal similar to other insanely wealthy and powerful TV megalomaniacs.

If so, then Tatiana will have to play a character that's older than her other iterations. I have no doubt she'll pull it off convincingly as she has all the others.
post #297 of 832 Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
She will, but I hope the makeup artists do as well. The original has to be significantly older (probably mid fourties) but without any wrinkles that make her look like grandma.

BTW, great show and great episode.
post #298 of 832 Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question: if being homosexual is genetic, how in the world can Cosima be gay from the last couple episodes? Since all the clones are genetically identical, wouldn't that mean that the rest of them would be homosexual, too? If that's the case, it's impossible for Sarah to be Kira's birth mother. Theory blown.
post #299 of 832 Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designed View Post

I have a question: if being homosexual is genetic, how in the world can Cosima be gay from the last couple episodes? Since all the clones are genetically identical, wouldn't that mean that the rest of them would be homosexual, too? If that's the case, it's impossible for Sarah to be Kira's birth mother. Theory blown.

Don't know if you're asking a legitimate question OR posing an agenda... but I'm answering in case it is legitimate.

First... Cloning humans isn't possible (at least now) and this is a fictional show... so I wouldn't extrapolate reality from fiction... i.e. "I saw it on TV so it must be true in real life as well"

Second... the clones have already been said to not be identical. There is an identifying marker... also Sarah is the only one to have been able to have a child of her own... so there are some differences in them.

Third... genetics can predispose you to something but not necessarily happen. My theory has always been that genetics give you the basics and the possibilities while life experience reveals who you are. Ex... You might be capable of killing, but you may never kill unless backed into a corner and forced to do so... but you were always capable of it. Similarly, with Cosima being gay... we don't know for sure if she is properly gay OR bi-sexual... but either way, it could be that if you expose the clones to the same set of circumstances they might all be attracted to that same woman. No way to say for sure, because Cosima is the only one in that experience.

post #300 of 832 Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designed View Post

Doubt it's genetic alone. If it were, since gay people don't often reproduce, homosexuality would soon be selected out of the gene pool. Instead, all the data collected by scientists and historians seems to indicate it's a normal human variant - always somewhere between 2% and 4% of any human population, going as far back as they can tell. Then there are the 1500 species of animals where it's been observed as well. It might be some combination of genetic predisposition, perhaps including hormonal, environmental, stress or other factors, or something else involving complex living organisms that we don't even suspect. Who knows? Someday we will, most likely.

So it's not really surprising at all that Cosima is gay. CBS's '60 Minutes' did a segment several years ago where they found and interviewed a number of sets of identical twins where one would grow up straight and one gay. They were like that from the earliest age where gender preferences were beginning to be seen, about age 3. Fascinating - sort of caused me to look at the issue differently than I had before.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page