"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 900 Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 365
As a big fan of her and the series...I am eagerly awaiting 4-18-15.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 900 Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 118
An Orphan Black marathon on IFC will show all episodes of the first two seasons beginning at midnight on April 17.

I usually don't rewatch TV shows, especially ones I've watched within the past couple of years, but I'm awfully tempted. I'll certainly rewatch the final episode of season 2 and maybe the first two episodes of season 1.
daryl zero likes this.
post #873 of 900 Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 233
For those concerned about the new male clones taking up too much episodic time & focus, this may please you:
Quote:
And this season, the show has added male clones played by Ari Millen to the mix. The good news is, Sarah, Cosima and the other clones retain most of the real estate in this gorgeously grimy biothriller, and watching the established characters relate to each other is still a lot of fun.

And this part's got me intrigued:

Quote:
The beautiful disaster named Helena remains my favorite part of the show, and she even gets a new companion this season, one so suitably batsh-t that it makes me smile just thinking about it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7080734.html

post #874 of 900 Old 04-18-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

loltime:

post #875 of 900 Old 04-19-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 217
No comments yet?

I liked the opening sequence... it was fun, even if you knew what was going on pretty much immediately.

Admittedly, the plot did bog down a little last season... I'm wondering if the male clone story will breathe some new life into the show. Maslany continues to knock everything out of the park, but the show got a little convoluted and off-track to me last season. I'd like to see things return to form a little.

Last, and not least... the Helena sequences were both disturbing and cute at the same time.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #876 of 900 Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I recorded the entire marathon on IFC to watch the first couple of episodes of the first season before watching the first episode of the new season, and then cherry picking other past episodes to watch. Even though I first watched Orphan Black s.1 as recently as last summer, I can't get enough now and plan to watch both seasons again in order before starting season three. And I say that as someone who can count on one hand the number of TV show seasons I've bothered to watch more than once in the past ten years.

One question has been gnawing at me though: whatever happened to Sarah's thigh-high boots? There must've been some way she could've integrated them into Beth's wardrobe. Just sayin.

I also loved how after Felix met Allison and Cosima in the third episode he pointed out to Sarah how much prettier Cosima was than her. Little nuggets like that (along with full dorsal nudity--which I had also forgotten about) are making this well worth watching again.
post #877 of 900 Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Fee: "arguably more attractive than the real Sarah".

Sarah: "yea I was there, thank you!"

I haven't seen the new season 3 episode yet, probably not until Tuesday. Don't have a working DVR at the moment.
Zookster likes this.

post #878 of 900 Old 04-19-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 637
This season feels both darker and a bit off. I don't think the introduction of male clones is going to take the show where it needs to go. We originally viewed the clone conspiracy through the lens of how it personally affected the lives of Sarah and her sisters, but now we're getting off track and into other clones, cults, and boardroom drama. We've lost the early sense of urgency, and while male military clones might raise the stakes a little, they also drag us further away from the glue that made such an otherwise ridiculous show stick: Maslany's performances.
Sharp1080 and Machuran like this.
post #879 of 900 Old 04-20-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it's hard to argue Season 2 wasn't a different show than Season 1... and Season 3 looks to be different again. I wish Season 2 had been more like Season 1... but since it wasn't, I'm hoping Season 3 at least moves in a better direction than Season 2 moved.

post #880 of 900 Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I got confused early on. Thought I was watching SCORPION
post #881 of 900 Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Not too happy so far. It's still early. Not digging the male clones, what's next in the clone army?
post #882 of 900 Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked the voice of the scorpion... also her moxy.

post #883 of 900 Old 04-21-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of which, the scorpion wasn't real, right? When the manclone opened the box, I didn't see a scorpion in it. If there was no mortal danger in the box, then what was the point of keeping her there for almost 48 hours? Was it some kind of twisted test?
post #884 of 900 Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Speaking of which, the scorpion wasn't real, right? When the manclone opened the box, I didn't see a scorpion in it. If there was no mortal danger in the box, then what was the point of keeping her there for almost 48 hours? Was it some kind of twisted test?
Put yourself in a box, a little bigger than a coffin, for 48 hours and ask that question again... I actually got claustrophobic during that sequence...

Bobby 

post #885 of 900 Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but what was the point of it? Did they need to know if Helena was claustrophobic?
post #886 of 900 Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, but what was the point of it? Did they need to know if Helena was claustrophobic?
What is the point of basic training in the armed services. The point is to break you down....

Bobby 

post #887 of 900 Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I figured it was essentially a "we own you" kind of thing... if you don't do what we want, we'll put you back into the box, threats likely follow anytime she doesn't do whatever thing they want her to do at some point.

post #888 of 900 Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Put yourself in a box, a little bigger than a coffin, for 48 hours and ask that question again... I actually got claustrophobic during that sequence...
Yes. Me too. It was actually a little hard to watch. I have no problems with a space like an elevator or even a closet. But a box like she was in and I would have major issues.
post #889 of 900 Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. Me too. It was actually a little hard to watch. I have no problems with a space like an elevator or even a closet. But a box like she was in and I would have major issues.
By chance have you experienced the "buried alive in a coffin" dream? I have come to realize as I age the more it occurs to me now being "trapped". It's strange as I never thought about it when I was a Firefighter, which produced a few "tight" moments.
post #890 of 900 Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Based upon some of the interviews I've seen, it seems the two show creators always intended to have a fast-paced & complicated plot.

Maybe in part because they didn't think whichever actress wound up taking the lead clone roles could pull it off so convincingly that they could have relied upon more simple storytelling. So they remain set on their original conception for the show. Just speculatin' here.

post #891 of 900 Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
By chance have you experienced the "buried alive in a coffin" dream? I have come to realize as I age the more it occurs to me now being "trapped". It's strange as I never thought about it when I was a Firefighter, which produced a few "tight" moments.
Fortunately I have never had that dream. It would certainly be unsettling if I ever do.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #892 of 900 Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Some of you seem to forget season 1 where Helena was kept in a cage as punishment. Poor girl can't catch a break.....
post #893 of 900 Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 AM

Liked: 0
post #894 of 900 Old 04-23-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not claustrophobic to the degree that being in a box would be bad... though long-term it would be bad for lots of reasons... BUT... if I didn't know where the box was... and it was possible that the box was buried... THAT would be a freak-out moment.

To me, anyway, there's a world of difference in being in an enclosed space for the moment vs potentially forever. IF they have me in a box in a room, they must at least be thinking of letting me out... so I think I could hold back the panic at first... but if you know you're buried... whole new ballgame!

post #895 of 900 Old 04-23-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
Some of you seem to forget season 1 where Helena was kept in a cage as punishment.
This would raise the question of who told the manclones that being in a box was a suitable form of punishment and control for her...
post #896 of 900 Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I'm not claustrophobic to the degree that being in a box would be bad... though long-term it would be bad for lots of reasons... BUT... if I didn't know where the box was... and it was possible that the box was buried... THAT would be a freak-out moment.

To me, anyway, there's a world of difference in being in an enclosed space for the moment vs potentially forever. IF they have me in a box in a room, they must at least be thinking of letting me out... so I think I could hold back the panic at first... but if you know you're buried... whole new ballgame!
That sir is the scary part of the dream! Waking up and realizing what has happened and screaming knowing you are using up oxygen. No holes to peer out into a room! (*%^$# that!
post #897 of 900 Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This show had so much potential, I don't know what it is but it's turned into a total mess. It just jumps from scene to scene with no build-up, just quick paced nonsense that makes me wonder if it's a writing problem, editing or what. My wife and I are getting to the point where we're not sure if it's even worth continuing on. A shame.
post #898 of 900 Old Today, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post
This show had so much potential, I don't know what it is but it's turned into a total mess. It just jumps from scene to scene with no build-up, just quick paced nonsense that makes me wonder if it's a writing problem, editing or what. My wife and I are getting to the point where we're not sure if it's even worth continuing on. A shame.
We'll know more after tomorrow nights episode. I'm sort of with you as this season is all over the place.
post #899 of 900 Old Today, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I binge watched first season and watched second season weekly off dvr. After watching season 3 opener this morning, I will let the rest build up on dvr. Weekly this show doesn't do it for me as much as when I binge watched.
post #900 of 900 Old Today, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
We'll know more after tomorrow nights episode. I'm sort of with you as this season is all over the place.
I was un-thrilled with 3x01 myself. However, understanding the complex myth they are trying to build, I told myself going into the episode that I would give it 2-3 episodes to find its footing again. I figure, with the number of characters they have going, two episodes to catch us up on what all of them have been doing and to finally drop us into the deep end with where things are going. Then the third episode should chug along at a nice pace developing the season arc as well as providing some key clues to the bigger overall puzzle.

Season two started to stray a bit much for me, especially the last half of the final episode. I was looking forward to the opening of season three to get things back on course. It looks like things are going to expand and deviate even further instead. The only thing giving me hope now is that there is a firm 5 season/50 episode plan in place. The writers cannot stick to that if the venture too much further afield.

Hopefully the show is able to get things going again by 3x03. If it takes longer than that, I think OB might fall off of a lot of radars.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Orphan by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page