"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 914 Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Putting Helena in a box for two days, then water-boarding her, as a "stress test," seems a bit much. Not clear what that's about. Happened to re-watch "Zero Dark Thirty" yesterday, where they showed the CIA doing the same thing to prisoners trying to prevent 9/11-type attacks. But the male-clone clan appear to be genuine nut cases. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 914 Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Putting Helena in a box for two days, then water-boarding her, as a "stress test," seems a bit much. Not clear what that's about.
My take was they they were trying to induce the same kind of "glitch" that the male clones are having.
post #903 of 914 Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
My take was they they were trying to induce the same kind of "glitch" that the male clones are having.
Its starting to be clear. At some point, they will know that the Ledas and Castors want the same thing and maybe they will be on the same side. I really enjoyed S3E2 after scratching my head at E1. Just some gems in it like Helena's response to the questions (aided by an imaginary scorpion -- although the scorpion was correct, she wouldn't get mangoes if she continued to provoke them).

Edit: Just read that Tatiana also voiced the scorpion. Hot damn!

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC

Last edited by daryl zero; 04-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #904 of 914 Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
LOL ... but how could they tell a "glitch" from the normal Helena? (37.5)

PS: One of these days, I'll figure out this "counting" stuff.
post #905 of 914 Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
I was un-thrilled with 3x01 myself. However, understanding the complex myth they are trying to build, I told myself going into the episode that I would give it 2-3 episodes to find its footing again. I figure, with the number of characters they have going, two episodes to catch us up on what all of them have been doing and to finally drop us into the deep end with where things are going. Then the third episode should chug along at a nice pace developing the season arc as well as providing some key clues to the bigger overall puzzle.

Season two started to stray a bit much for me, especially the last half of the final episode. I was looking forward to the opening of season three to get things back on course. It looks like things are going to expand and deviate even further instead. The only thing giving me hope now is that there is a firm 5 season/50 episode plan in place. The writers cannot stick to that if the venture too much further afield.

Hopefully the show is able to get things going again by 3x03. If it takes longer than that, I think OB might fall off of a lot of radars.
I completely agree with you on all points. I like complex plots, but this is getting ridiculous.
post #906 of 914 Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Makes you wonder exactly how many paychecks she gets ... humm ... exploitation, much? (38)
post #907 of 914 Old 04-27-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I thought everybody knew that... that's part of why earlier I said I liked the scorpion I could imagine her in a sound room doing the voice and it made me laugh.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #908 of 914 Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

PS: One of these days, I'll figure out this "counting" stuff.
Hopefully it's not just another patched together preview fakeout.

post #909 of 914 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hearing some of the early impressions of this season, I was a bit worried. I finally jumped into it last night and thought the first episode especially was rock solid. This series will never be the same from one season to the next. Good serialized series have to throw in a "game changer" to reshuffle the deck each season to keep it from getting stale. Having Sarah constantly on the run from the corporate clone creators while trying to protect her daughter was getting old. I'm glad they took Kira out of the equation (at least for the moment) in episode 2. The showrunners will never be able to replicate the intrigue of unfolding the mystery of the clone conspiracy piece by piece as they did in the first season. Everyone in Clone Club, including the viewer, is too self-aware now.

The only thing that bothers me is the use of the all-too-common device of there being yet another layer of oversight to Dyad. First it was Dr. Leeke and Rachel. Then it was Marion. Now we have Topside. Reminds me of Chuck, how each season there seemed to be a next level higher of bad spy agency to battle against. At least the Castor conspiracy takes us in a bit of a sideways direction.

To give you an idea of how much I'm enjoying this, I plan to watch season 3 in standard definition via my cable company's On Demand (I don't subscribe to BBC America, but for some reason I'm not blocked out of SD versions of new episodes of Orphan Black in the On Demand section -- though other content from channels I don't sub to is blocked out).
post #910 of 914 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Hearing some of the early impressions of this season, I was a bit worried. I finally jumped into it last night and thought the first episode especially was rock solid. This series will never be the same from one season to the next. Good serialized series have to throw in a "game changer" to reshuffle the deck each season to keep it from getting stale. Having Sarah constantly on the run from the corporate clone creators while trying to protect her daughter was getting old. I'm glad they took Kira out of the equation (at least for the moment) in episode 2. The showrunners will never be able to replicate the intrigue of unfolding the mystery of the clone conspiracy piece by piece as they did in the first season. Everyone in Clone Club, including the viewer, is too self-aware now.

The only thing that bothers me is the use of the all-too-common device of there being yet another layer of oversight to Dyad. First it was Dr. Leeke and Rachel. Then it was Marion. Now we have Topside. Reminds me of Chuck, how each season there seemed to be a next level higher of bad spy agency to battle against. At least the Castor conspiracy takes us in a bit of a sideways direction.

To give you an idea of how much I'm enjoying this, I plan to watch season 3 in standard definition via my cable company's On Demand (I don't subscribe to BBC America, but for some reason I'm not blocked out of SD versions of new episodes of Orphan Black in the On Demand section -- though other content from channels I don't sub to is blocked out).
Shows that do well the first year with the unfolding of the mythology sometimes have trouble once the surprise is gone. I think this is working in that the writers have the incredible talent of the cast (especially Sarah, Allison, Cossima and Felix, err, I mean Tatiania and Jordan).

As to your problem about you getting on demand shows for services you didn't order, I'll help you by sending an email to your carrier to clear that up.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #911 of 914 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Zookster

Finally, an opinion I can completely agree with. Especially with this part:

Quote:
The showrunners will never be able to replicate the intrigue of unfolding the mystery of the clone conspiracy piece by piece as they did in the first season. Everyone in Clone Club, including the viewer, is too self-aware now.
Nothing will quite match the initial unfolding of identities and accompanying intrigue. So I won't hold it against the show when they don't.

Although here,

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is the use of the all-too-common device of there being yet another layer of oversight to Dyad. First it was Dr. Leeke and Rachel. Then it was Marion. Now we have Topside.
Actually one less layer as Marion is part of Topside, is she not? But yea, the basic "layer after layer" thing can be pushed too far. We'll see how they do with it.

post #912 of 914 Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Actually one less layer as Marion is part of Topside, is she not? But yea, the basic "layer after layer" thing can be pushed too far. We'll see how they do with it.
Under Marion's orders, Delphine needed Sarah to pose as Rachel (and Allison as Sarah, still in Dyad custody) for the sake of Ferdinand and what he might report back to "Topside." Marion was obviously afraid of the repercussions from someone higher up than her (or a body of people that she is a part of) if he, she, it, they, found out what she had done -- therefore she isn't the one calling all the shots as there's another layer of governance/control that she's answerable to.
post #913 of 914 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is it just me or does Allison look slightly different this year? Facial appearance or something? Maybe a new haircut?
post #914 of 914 Unread Today, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
..... -- therefore she isn't the one calling all the shots as there's another layer of governance/control that she's answerable to.
Ok, I see your point now.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Orphan by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page