"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1040 Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Putting Helena in a box for two days, then water-boarding her, as a "stress test," seems a bit much. Not clear what that's about. Happened to re-watch "Zero Dark Thirty" yesterday, where they showed the CIA doing the same thing to prisoners trying to prevent 9/11-type attacks. But the male-clone clan appear to be genuine nut cases. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1040 Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Putting Helena in a box for two days, then water-boarding her, as a "stress test," seems a bit much. Not clear what that's about.
My take was they they were trying to induce the same kind of "glitch" that the male clones are having.
post #903 of 1040 Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
My take was they they were trying to induce the same kind of "glitch" that the male clones are having.
Its starting to be clear. At some point, they will know that the Ledas and Castors want the same thing and maybe they will be on the same side. I really enjoyed S3E2 after scratching my head at E1. Just some gems in it like Helena's response to the questions (aided by an imaginary scorpion -- although the scorpion was correct, she wouldn't get mangoes if she continued to provoke them).

Edit: Just read that Tatiana also voiced the scorpion. Hot damn!

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 04-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #904 of 1040 Old 04-26-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
LOL ... but how could they tell a "glitch" from the normal Helena? (37.5)

PS: One of these days, I'll figure out this "counting" stuff.
post #905 of 1040 Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
I was un-thrilled with 3x01 myself. However, understanding the complex myth they are trying to build, I told myself going into the episode that I would give it 2-3 episodes to find its footing again. I figure, with the number of characters they have going, two episodes to catch us up on what all of them have been doing and to finally drop us into the deep end with where things are going. Then the third episode should chug along at a nice pace developing the season arc as well as providing some key clues to the bigger overall puzzle.

Season two started to stray a bit much for me, especially the last half of the final episode. I was looking forward to the opening of season three to get things back on course. It looks like things are going to expand and deviate even further instead. The only thing giving me hope now is that there is a firm 5 season/50 episode plan in place. The writers cannot stick to that if the venture too much further afield.

Hopefully the show is able to get things going again by 3x03. If it takes longer than that, I think OB might fall off of a lot of radars.
I completely agree with you on all points. I like complex plots, but this is getting ridiculous.
post #906 of 1040 Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Makes you wonder exactly how many paychecks she gets ... humm ... exploitation, much? (38)
post #907 of 1040 Old 04-27-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
I thought everybody knew that... that's part of why earlier I said I liked the scorpion I could imagine her in a sound room doing the voice and it made me laugh.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #908 of 1040 Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

PS: One of these days, I'll figure out this "counting" stuff.
Hopefully it's not just another patched together preview fakeout.

post #909 of 1040 Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hearing some of the early impressions of this season, I was a bit worried. I finally jumped into it last night and thought the first episode especially was rock solid. This series will never be the same from one season to the next. Good serialized series have to throw in a "game changer" to reshuffle the deck each season to keep it from getting stale. Having Sarah constantly on the run from the corporate clone creators while trying to protect her daughter was getting old. I'm glad they took Kira out of the equation (at least for the moment) in episode 2. The showrunners will never be able to replicate the intrigue of unfolding the mystery of the clone conspiracy piece by piece as they did in the first season. Everyone in Clone Club, including the viewer, is too self-aware now.

The only thing that bothers me is the use of the all-too-common device of there being yet another layer of oversight to Dyad. First it was Dr. Leeke and Rachel. Then it was Marion. Now we have Topside. Reminds me of Chuck, how each season there seemed to be a next level higher of bad spy agency to battle against. At least the Castor conspiracy takes us in a bit of a sideways direction.

To give you an idea of how much I'm enjoying this, I plan to watch season 3 in standard definition via my cable company's On Demand (I don't subscribe to BBC America, but for some reason I'm not blocked out of SD versions of new episodes of Orphan Black in the On Demand section -- though other content from channels I don't sub to is blocked out).
post #910 of 1040 Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Hearing some of the early impressions of this season, I was a bit worried. I finally jumped into it last night and thought the first episode especially was rock solid. This series will never be the same from one season to the next. Good serialized series have to throw in a "game changer" to reshuffle the deck each season to keep it from getting stale. Having Sarah constantly on the run from the corporate clone creators while trying to protect her daughter was getting old. I'm glad they took Kira out of the equation (at least for the moment) in episode 2. The showrunners will never be able to replicate the intrigue of unfolding the mystery of the clone conspiracy piece by piece as they did in the first season. Everyone in Clone Club, including the viewer, is too self-aware now.

The only thing that bothers me is the use of the all-too-common device of there being yet another layer of oversight to Dyad. First it was Dr. Leeke and Rachel. Then it was Marion. Now we have Topside. Reminds me of Chuck, how each season there seemed to be a next level higher of bad spy agency to battle against. At least the Castor conspiracy takes us in a bit of a sideways direction.

To give you an idea of how much I'm enjoying this, I plan to watch season 3 in standard definition via my cable company's On Demand (I don't subscribe to BBC America, but for some reason I'm not blocked out of SD versions of new episodes of Orphan Black in the On Demand section -- though other content from channels I don't sub to is blocked out).
Shows that do well the first year with the unfolding of the mythology sometimes have trouble once the surprise is gone. I think this is working in that the writers have the incredible talent of the cast (especially Sarah, Allison, Cossima and Felix, err, I mean Tatiania and Jordan).

As to your problem about you getting on demand shows for services you didn't order, I'll help you by sending an email to your carrier to clear that up.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #911 of 1040 Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Zookster

Finally, an opinion I can completely agree with. Especially with this part:

Quote:
The showrunners will never be able to replicate the intrigue of unfolding the mystery of the clone conspiracy piece by piece as they did in the first season. Everyone in Clone Club, including the viewer, is too self-aware now.
Nothing will quite match the initial unfolding of identities and accompanying intrigue. So I won't hold it against the show when they don't.

Although here,

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me is the use of the all-too-common device of there being yet another layer of oversight to Dyad. First it was Dr. Leeke and Rachel. Then it was Marion. Now we have Topside.
Actually one less layer as Marion is part of Topside, is she not? But yea, the basic "layer after layer" thing can be pushed too far. We'll see how they do with it.

post #912 of 1040 Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Actually one less layer as Marion is part of Topside, is she not? But yea, the basic "layer after layer" thing can be pushed too far. We'll see how they do with it.
Under Marion's orders, Delphine needed Sarah to pose as Rachel (and Allison as Sarah, still in Dyad custody) for the sake of Ferdinand and what he might report back to "Topside." Marion was obviously afraid of the repercussions from someone higher up than her (or a body of people that she is a part of) if he, she, it, they, found out what she had done -- therefore she isn't the one calling all the shots as there's another layer of governance/control that she's answerable to.
post #913 of 1040 Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is it just me or does Allison look slightly different this year? Facial appearance or something? Maybe a new haircut?
post #914 of 1040 Old 04-29-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
..... -- therefore she isn't the one calling all the shots as there's another layer of governance/control that she's answerable to.
Ok, I see your point now.

post #915 of 1040 Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
'Orphan Black' Renewed by BBC America for Fourth Season
aaronwt, Ph8te and Zookster like this.
post #916 of 1040 Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Hopefully [Orphan Black] is able to get things going again by 3x03. If it takes longer than that, I think OB might fall off of a lot of radars.

That sentiment mirrored my own thoughts|concerns . . . however I thought they achieved a more than adequate 'recovery' in episode 3x03...?!

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #917 of 1040 Old 05-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
That sentiment mirrored my own thoughts|concerns . . . however I thought they achieved a more than adequate 'recovery' in episode 3x03...?!

_
I think it made some good strides. I want to see an equal amount of recovery in the next episode. TBH, I was a bit disappointed that they re-inserted the Proletheans into the mix. I was fairly satisfied that, for the most part, their story was done with since Helena had razed the compound and took off with her eggs. I figured an further Prolethean stuff could be centered just on the one girl while she was on the run. Now they are back though.

Hopefully them returning as an "interested part with their own stakes" doesn't serve to complicate matters any more than the already are.
post #918 of 1040 Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Not a fan of the Prolethean story arc or characters.
The male clones have worked out better than I hoped.
post #919 of 1040 Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 755
I thought the episode was better than the ones that came before: both Sarah and the male clones' stories came together, which helped. I think that using Alison as a comedic B-story character is starting to become a crutch, though. I really don't care about her foray into the drug business and would just as soon see her get arrested as become a successful druglord soap seller.
post #920 of 1040 Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Stuff just got real. Bye Paul. Bye scorpion. Alison and Donny twerking? I was pretty sure the Castors were a weapon. To what end? Population growth? Who?
Cosima's new girlfriend is an actress I like. She was on Lost Girl ironically as the straight one on a bi-sexual show. Gets in on the fun.

post #921 of 1040 Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought this was probably the first really good episode of the season, although I still dislike wasting time on Alison's irrelevant shenanigans. It looks like she may get in over her head and need Sarah's help next week, though.

Quote:
Cosima's new girlfriend is an actress I like.
Ksenia Solo is awesome and is the main reason I watch Lost Girl.
post #922 of 1040 Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I thought this was probably the first really good episode of the season, although I still dislike wasting time on Alison's irrelevant shenanigans. It looks like she may get in over her head and need Sarah's help next week, though.

Allison and Donny are comic relief in a very serious show and I still get amazed that Tatiana is playing Allison. That role is so different from all the others. I enjoy it.

Yes, Ms. Solo is awesome and was the reason I watched 2 seasons of Lost Girl. Not enough to keep me watching though.

I have liked the entire season and felt it was leading to this. I know others have had trouble (my wife and daughter too) who can't focus on this show. They also really liked this one.
Ph8te likes this.

post #923 of 1040 Old 05-26-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

She was comic relief in the first season while still being part of the main story, though. I don't like that her activities in this season have thus far been totally irrelevant to everything else that's been going on and am hoping that will change in the next episode.
post #924 of 1040 Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Face it Paul had to die. He was just too stupid to live. We're better off with him removed from the gene pool. The betrayal by his covert boss was so obvious he needed to catch it sooner.
post #925 of 1040 Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1640 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
I was surprised it came on this weekend. It was a nice surprise to find this episode on my TiVo.
Ph8te likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #926 of 1040 Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Face it Paul had to die. He was just too stupid to live. We're better off with him removed from the gene pool. ...
Yes, but he was the only one in Tat's corner- so again it's the clones on their own.

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #927 of 1040 Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM
DDD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
She's also on this season of TURN:Washington's Spies! I always enjoy her personality she brings to her roles.
post #928 of 1040 Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Face it Paul had to die. He was just too stupid to live. We're better off with him removed from the gene pool. The betrayal by his covert boss was so obvious he needed to catch it sooner.
His role was kind of ridiculous for the last season or so. He did get a good send off though.

post #929 of 1040 Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

His most ridiculous role was as a writer disguising his profession in a romantic comedy with Amy Acker.
The boy needed killin' for that.
post #930 of 1040 Old 05-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Caught up on dvr. This season is underwhelming at best. The cult stuff last season sucked and was a drag. This season the focus is on the dude clones. Not interesting at all.
Garrett Adams likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Orphan by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page