"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1096 Old 08-22-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Humm ... that seems unnecessarily harsh for a Saturday morning.
Not at all. It's good that he moves on now, before wastes another hour of his time. Most of us were sure we loved the show by then, and that was before the buzz started building. But it's not for everyone. Some folks think 'Duck Dynasty' is the cat's meow, but that group probably doesn't overlap much with this one, I'm guessing. Diff'runt strokes, and all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1096 Old 08-22-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Not the funniest story but when she was describing it, I couldn't relate to it because my brain couldn't process that this was not Alison telling the story.

post #1083 of 1096 Old 08-22-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 353

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #1084 of 1096 Old 08-22-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Or for all three OB parody videos from San Diego Comic Con, see my post on previous page ...

"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD
post #1085 of 1096 Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i suppose the bar was set awfully high, you see i just finished watching the knick, which had me hooked immediately and wanting more. orphan black in comparison is simply uninteresting nonsense.

agree though, different strokes for different folks...

SlingTV, E.D.L.
post #1086 of 1096 Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd like to see 'The Knick', someday. By all accounts it's really good. But... Cinemax. Can't subscribe to 'em all.
post #1087 of 1096 Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
off topic... but hbogo is offering a sneak peak of season 1 of the knick through october.

SlingTV, E.D.L.
post #1088 of 1096 Old 08-23-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 270
It's more difficult to cohesively pull off a show like Orphan Black than The Knick. In part because of its unique amalgamation of different stylistic elements that Orphan Black tries to juggle evenly (sci-fi, drama, humor). Not to mention the shooting complexities of a show using the same actress multiple times within the same scenes.

And by virtue of it primarily being a straight historical drama, by comparison, The Knick is going to feel more "important" because it is more consistently "serious".

While it's mostly well-regarded among critics, I've noticed a definite repeated undercurrent of slightly dissatisfied feeling towards The Knick. That it is lacking a little something. Some great elements and performances for sure, but The Knick hasn't quite found the next-level quality of the very best shows from the last few years.

None of this is to suggest that Orphan Black is without flaws either. Some of this, as previously stated, certainly can come down to personal preference. And you tend to be more forgiving of a shows flaws if it's more in your taste wheelhouse and conversely, less forgiving if it's not.
archiguy likes this.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 08-23-2015 at 10:14 AM.
post #1089 of 1096 Old 08-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
It's more difficult to cohesively pull off a show like Orphan Black than The Knick. In part because of its unique amalgamation of different stylistic elements that Orphan Black tries to juggle evenly (sci-fi, drama, humor). Not to mention the shooting complexities of a show using the same actress multiple times within the same scenes.

And by virtue of it primarily being a straight historical drama, by comparison, The Knick is going to feel more "important" because it is more consistently "serious".

While it's mostly well-regarded among critics, I've noticed a definite repeated undercurrent of slightly dissatisfied feeling towards The Knick. That it is lacking a little something. Some great elements and performances for sure, but The Knick hasn't quite found the next-level quality of the very best shows from the last few years.

None of this is to suggest that Orphan Black is without flaws either. Some of this, as previously stated, certainly can come down to personal preference. And you tend to be more forgiving of a shows flaws if it's more in your taste wheelhouse and conversely, less forgiving if it's not.
Right, the (relatively original) premise of accidentally discovering that you're one of several copies of the same person could be developed in a thousand different directions. OB may not be the best possible way, but it's way ahead of whatever might be in 2nd place...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #1090 of 1096 Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
It's more difficult to cohesively pull off a show like Orphan Black than The Knick. In part because of its unique amalgamation of different stylistic elements that Orphan Black tries to juggle evenly (sci-fi, drama, humor). Not to mention the shooting complexities of a show using the same actress multiple times within the same scenes...

You don't watch Orphan Black for the plotting. You watch it to watch Tatiana walk that tightrope.
Garrett Adams likes this.

CW Hinkle
post #1091 of 1096 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I disagree, I loved Orphan Black's first season but feel the most recent two have not been up to that quality. Sarah's character has completely lost what made her different in the first place. When was the last time she did something crazy/illegal/not what I expect? It's like she has become the good mother to all the other clones who get to be crazy now.
post #1092 of 1096 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
I disagree, I loved Orphan Black's first season but feel the most recent two have not been up to that quality. Sarah's character has completely lost what made her different in the first place. When was the last time she did something crazy/illegal/not what I expect? It's like she has become the good mother to all the other clones who get to be crazy now.
I don't have a problem with her character evolving from a street-wise drug dealer to being the responsible one, doing everything she can to protect everyone in clone club. While at the same time the responsible soccer mom Allison degenerates into being a drug dealer.

Nonetheless, at the end of season 3 Sarah and Felix did follow up on clues in London against Mrs. S's wishes to find the source clone in London. I believe they even broke into Kendall's apartment. And Sarah also pretty much orchestrated all the events of the season finale, including having Helena kill Rudy.
post #1093 of 1096 Old Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

"Completely lost what made her different in the first place"? Totally disagree. It's called character development.

Much of her anger and bad behavior stemmed from her bitterness at being given up by what she imagined to be her birth parents. As she's learned the truth about herself, that she hadn't really been abandoned by her parents at all because she never had traditional parents in the first place, the source of that bitterness and disappointment began to dissipate. Furthered lessened as she slowly began to bond with her sisters over the course of the first couple seasons, finding a sense of family with them. An unconventional one, but true blood relations (not to discount the familial bonds of Kira, Felix & S). Then there is Kira. Like many parents do, Sarah began to look more closely at the example she was setting for Kira and wanted to do better.

As far as her not doing anything crazy or illegal anymore, well, she was in the process of strangling Ferdinand to death at the beginning of season 3. Then she was kidnapped and sent to Helena's prison as a result of her unrelentingly aggressive nature in pushing for answers. And she intentionally got herself assaulted in the prison cell in order to steal the filing tool which allowed Helena to escape her cell. And in London, she didn't remain passive, breaking into the apartment searching for Kendal Malone. And later there she identified herself as Mrs. S. on the phone in order to again push on further for answers, despite Felix's warnings/pleas to the contrary.

So while she may no longer be doing selfishly illegal things (things she was never entirely comfortable with anyway, ex., "we were leeches Vic, I was never proud of what we had done"[sic]), her streetwise core of fearlessness, aggressiveness and guile remain. But now it is in service of her family.
archiguy, Zookster and Aleron Ives like this.

Last edited by CruelInventions; Today at 11:29 AM.
post #1094 of 1096 Old Today, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Dang. You are a fan! I'd forgotten most of that stuff. That's what's known as "paying attention".
post #1095 of 1096 Old Today, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1096 of 1096 Old Today, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 846
I think someone deserves a Clone Club gold star.
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Orphan by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page