"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 206Likes

post #1171 of 1205 Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 730
I thought it was amusing that Alison was playing the part of Judas in JC Superstar while her intentions were in doubt.
Ph8te and HDMe2 like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1205 Old 06-04-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 470
.. ha! hadn't even noticed that. Good observation.

post #1173 of 1205 Old 06-05-2016, 12:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
They need to bring Helena back to help Allison take care of the kids now that Donnie is in jail, though I didn't quite understand why Allison wasn't arrested too if it was regarding the drug dealing and not the killing of Pouchy and his thugs.
They did that so they could put the squeeze on Allison.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1174 of 1205 Old 06-05-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I thought it was amusing that Alison was playing the part of Judas in JC Superstar while her intentions were in doubt.
That was pretty clever - I'm not familiar with it and would have missed it completely but for the after show...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #1175 of 1205 Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
That was pretty clever - I'm not familiar with it and would have missed it completely but for the after show...
I don't watch the after show nor am I that clever. I just was pretty familiar with the JC Superstar soundtrack because it was played a lot in my house as I was growing up.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #1176 of 1205 Old 06-05-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I don't watch the after show nor am I that clever. I just was pretty familiar with the JC Superstar soundtrack because it was played a lot in my house as I was growing up.
The after show isn't as bad as I thought it would be - they move it along quickly and have some interesting notes - like the prison sets in the basement of an abandoned hospital building with the cafeteria set in what was once the morgue. The interviews usually aren't very good but Susan and Ari the week before were interesting...

CC

post #1177 of 1205 Old 06-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I despise the two hosts. Pure absence of personality. Just full on horse sh* young tv host garbage. I catch a few seconds of them at the end of my show recording. I can not sit through more than those few seconds.

Oh and the sh* questions they ask the guests. I'm sure they come up with those themselves.
allargon likes this.
post #1178 of 1205 Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Love the humor. Ukrainian-assassin Helena hiding in the wild, nurturing twins in her womb by killing deer with arrows. Her animal-skin hat and the deer on her shoulders terrifies a suburban youngster in a car. Then Helena and her bow to the rescue, preventing a dude from forcing a wiggly white bot into Alison's jaw. Thunk ! Rachael, who had been 'penciled' in her eye by Sarah, was eager to work with Sarah--very suspicious of that prospect. Then Rachael, wearing a TV-camera necklace for bargaining talks with the nasty Asian-Canadian woman scientist, captures details about killing clone babies and uses it for a TV broadcast. Next week is the season ending. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 06-12-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo
post #1179 of 1205 Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 137
"Donnie Hendrix, you look like roast pig."

Helena. The. Best.

Loved the freakout of the suburban kid in the car as "Sasquatch" carried the slain deer past them.

Those Canadians are a hoot!
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
post #1180 of 1205 Old 06-12-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I am a big Orphan Black fan but this season 4 has been a letdown for me. Part of that is how Helena has basically been non existent since she is the best clone/character.

I haven't watched the most recent episode so hopefully she is in it and I can have some good laughs. Maybe I am wrong but I would bet she is the top character for most so I have no clue why they'd keep her out of so much of the season.
allargon likes this.
post #1181 of 1205 Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
She hasn't been relevant. That's why. Only so much story can fit into 40 minutes each week, so nonessential characters don't need cameos when they aren't part of the plot that week. This season has filled in a lot of the blanks from previous years, and it's great.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1182 of 1205 Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
.. Maybe I am wrong but I would bet she is the top character for most so I have no clue why they'd keep her out of so much of the season.
If you spend any time on youtube, you'll quickly find that Delphine is far and away the most popular character. And I'm serious. The amount of love for that character and for the Delphine/Cosima coupling and the incessant whining about the absence and (what was the possible) death of Delphine is insane.

post #1183 of 1205 Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
I just watched the last episode tonight. This season has been enjoyable. I'm surprised were already down to the final episode.

Has there been word on a renewal for the next season? I see the ratings are nothing like they were in the first season.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1184 of 1205 Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Has there been word on a renewal for the next season?
If it isn't renewed, I'm sure Helena will have something to say about that.
replayrob likes this.
post #1185 of 1205 Old 06-14-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Although the Neilsen ratings are abysmal, I think its international appeal makes it worthwhile to continue. With 2 more seasons it could add significant value as a syndication property...

CC

post #1186 of 1205 Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If I am not mistaken, BBC-America renewed this season and nexts awhile ago.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1187 of 1205 Old 06-14-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a Canadian show, so I doubt they care about Neilson ratings at all. As long as it generates sufficient domestic ratings, Space will probably keep making it, and BBCA will keep carrying it.
post #1188 of 1205 Old 06-14-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
It also airs in about a dozen other countries around the globe.
post #1189 of 1205 Old 06-16-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just watched the last episode tonight. This season has been enjoyable. I'm surprised were already down to the final episode.

Has there been word on a renewal for the next season? I see the ratings are nothing like they were in the first season.
Renewed for one final season:

http://www.avclub.com/article/orphan...xt-year-238335

Clone club will be coming to an end. BBC America announced today that it will be renewing Orphan Black, its hit show about how to inexplicably rob Tatiana Maslany of perhaps the most deserved Best Actress Emmy in history, for a fifth season in 2017. However, that will also be the last season of the series, meaning there will never again be a chance to see Alison and Donnie dance on a pile of money on their bed in their underwear. R.I.P. suburban clone dance parties.

Co-creators John Fawcett and Graeme Manson released a statement saying, “We are excited to deliver an epic conclusion to the tale of Sarah and her clone sisters. The past four seasons have been a phenomenal adventure and we are eternally grateful to our loyal fans who have loved the twists and thrills of our weird little show.” The critically acclaimed series ends its fourth season tonight, though we would really recommend starting from at least the beginning of this season—if not season one—because otherwise, you’re going to be confused as **** about five seconds into it.
aaronwt, cctvtech and cc_in_oh like this.

post #1190 of 1205 Old 06-16-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

That's great news. Not only is the show going to get a proper ending with an arc that seems approved by its creators, but that ending isn't going to come three seasons too late, after everybody's agreed that the show needed to die a long time ago.
aaronwt, Keenan and cctvtech like this.
post #1191 of 1205 Old 06-17-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

More Krystal.

“This is what you think I look like?”

“Who are you again?” “I’m Sarah. I’m your clone.” “Right, whatever.”

“How does Krystal figure this **** out?” Felix has the only answer: “I have no idea. She’s doggedly wrong, but she gets results.”
aaronwt, Ph8te and cctvtech like this.

post #1192 of 1205 Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

So... uh... I thought Rachel stole the research, so what was that stuff Delphine was holding at the end while Cosima said she found the cure? How did she get it? Was she supposed to have stolen it off camera while Rachel and Susan were fighting? How convenient for Rachel to just leave it out in the open.

Also, I hope season 5 drops this ridiculous "Kira has psychic powers and can sense clones' thoughts!" angle.
post #1193 of 1205 Old 06-18-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Cosima took it first - when Charlotte first released her and said they had to leave for the boat, Cosima told her to wait for her - there was something she had to do first. At the time she was taking it because she had overheard Susan's plans.

However, Susan told Sarah that Rachel took it - I'm not sure why neither Susan nor Rachel seemed to realize that it was already gone...

CC

post #1194 of 1205 Old 06-18-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Random things...

If you know someone who wears glasses... and you're used to seeing them with glasses... and one day you see them without glasses on, they look strange, right? So... it's weird... but every time Kosima takes off her glasses, I find myself thinking it looks odd.... that's how much Tatiana is still selling those performances... Kosima without glasses looks weird.. but Allison, Rachel, Sarah, etc. look normal without them.

Also...in this "search for the cure" I keep wondering... they seem to have dropped a couple of subplots from the first season.

1. All the clones were sick (or eventually became sick) except for Sarah and Helena. We eventually find out they are twins, from the same clone embryo... also, all of the other clones are sterile... but again, Sarah and Helena have each been pregnant now... but they keep looking elsewhere for how to cure the illness of the other clones. Why do they not try to figure out how Sarah/Helena are different from the rest? Doesn't that seem like a good place to be researching? AND they'd have access to Sarah/Helena for all the DNA samples they need.

2. That episode where Kiera is hit by the car... and in the hospital one doctor is looking at something and is surprised... they never really got back to what that was did they? I mean, we know they used some Kiera magic to help Kosima at one point temporarily... but otherwise they dropped the super-Kiera plot too.

Good that they get a season to wrap it up... interesting that Rachel is looking to be the bad guy... and yet there's still someone behind the scenes pulling strings. I wonder why way they will go... introduce a brand new character OR reveal someone that has been there all along?

Oh... and I still don't remember if they wrapped up Michelle Forbes' character. She was there with Charlotte at the end of one season, and then was gone the next season and hadn't been referred to that I can remember.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1195 of 1205 Old 06-19-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Cosima took it first - when Charlotte first released her and said they had to leave for the boat, Cosima told her to wait for her - there was something she had to do first. At the time she was taking it because she had overheard Susan's plans.

However, Susan told Sarah that Rachel took it - I'm not sure why neither Susan nor Rachel seemed to realize that it was already gone...
From memory, it looked like a receptacle which could contain several vials or some such. Maybe Cosima took 1 and left the rest behind? It's not like she had the means to carry a lot on foot especially in her deteriorating condition.

And that's why it wasn't necessarily noticed. Rachel wouldn't have known how much was there to begin with and Susan wouldn't necessarily have had the time nor attention to notice that some part was removed before Rachel had taken all that remained. For all Susan may have known was that Rachel had taken it all.
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 06-19-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #1196 of 1205 Old 06-19-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Random things...

If you know someone who wears glasses... and you're used to seeing them with glasses... and one day you see them without glasses on, they look strange, right? So... it's weird... but every time Kosima takes off her glasses, I find myself thinking it looks odd.... that's how much Tatiana is still selling those performances... Kosima without glasses looks weird.. but Allison, Rachel, Sarah, etc. look normal without them.
Not to slight Tatiana's performance's as Cosima per se, but the dreadlocked hair and I suspect subtle makeup differences unique to that character are a good part of what still makes the character look like Cosima, even when without her glasses.

Quote:
1. All the clones were sick (or eventually became sick) except for Sarah and Helena. We eventually find out they are twins, from the same clone embryo... also, all of the other clones are sterile... but again, Sarah and Helena have each been pregnant now... but they keep looking elsewhere for how to cure the illness of the other clones. Why do they not try to figure out how Sarah/Helena are different from the rest? Doesn't that seem like a good place to be researching? AND they'd have access to Sarah/Helena for all the DNA samples they need.
Good questions. I think it may have been explained somewhere along the way but I'm drawing a blank on it now.

Quote:
2. That episode where Kiera is hit by the car... and in the hospital one doctor is looking at something and is surprised... they never really got back to what that was did they? I mean, we know they used some Kiera magic to help Kosima at one point temporarily... but otherwise they dropped the super-Kiera plot too.
Yes, I'll be interested to see if they swing back to explore this further or not. Same with the apparent psychic or telepathic connections (Helena magically reciting Alison's friends names, etc.). The quick-healing, I hope they do elaborate or at least tie this loose thread up. The telepathy stuff, not so much. I would be disheartened given that they've sold this show as being rooted in science and future possibility. Not 100% accurate necessarily, but for fictional purposes, reasonably close. But psychic/telepathy on the other hand is pure hokum.

Quote:
Good that they get a season to wrap it up... interesting that Rachel is looking to be the bad guy... and yet there's still someone behind the scenes pulling strings. I wonder why way they will go... introduce a brand new character OR reveal someone that has been there all along?
The way Rachel smiles in slight amazement at the end could be suggestive of either. That she recognizes the person or she is simply amazed that this historic figure is now standing before her & having defied the normal aging process.

Quote:
Oh... and I still don't remember if they wrapped up Michelle Forbes' character. She was there with Charlotte at the end of one season, and then was gone the next season and hadn't been referred to that I can remember.
Unlike the Delphine and Kal characters whose actors had different jobs to keep them from being further involved with OB, I don't recall any talk of the same for Michelle Forbes. Which makes here disappearance even more curious.

Unless Marion turns out to be the historic Neolution guy. Transgendered AND age-defying no less.

post #1197 of 1205 Old 06-19-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
...... Also, I hope season 5 drops this ridiculous "Kira has psychic powers and can sense clones' thoughts!" angle.
Agreed.

Is it just me, or has Kira been used less in this season than any season prior?

If she has been used less, I think it may bode well for them dropping the, "Kira with special visionary & healing powers" stuff.

But then again, why keep using it for Kira's limited appearances in this season if it won't be explored further?

It could be further evidence for my concern that the showrunners have bitten off more than they can chew. It's like they want to make 3 or 4 different versions of Orphan Black and can't bare to leave anything story idea behind so it still gets thrown into the mix and left to tangle.

Last edited by CruelInventions; 06-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
post #1198 of 1205 Old 06-21-2016, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Sarah, just a 7. She really needs to do something about that hair.
post #1199 of 1205 Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Sarah, just a 7. She really needs to do something about that hair.
Yeah, that whole scene with krystal was a hoot!
"...is that what you think I look like?"

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #1200 of 1205 Old 06-21-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny thing is, that was the one day Sarah DID run a comb thru her hair. The front top part at least.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page