"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 228Likes
post #1201 of 1213 Unread 06-25-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quite the cliffhanger ending. I don't remember any other prior season ending with so much in doubt:

• Sarah bleeding out (and freezing) on the island, calling desperately for help and with no one to save her
  • Cosima at death's door (again), though likely to get cured with Delphine's help using the stem cell samples
  • Susan Duncan needing emergency medical attention
  • Ferdinand holding a gun on Ms. S and Kiera
  • Rachel poised to turn some Third World country into her personal cloning lab
  • Mika MIA and apparently quite sick
  • Allison on the run and with a bad case of the runs after eating some of Helena's venison intestine stew!
I cut the cable last month and had to buy the last three episodes on iTunes. I guess I'll be buying the entire (final) season next year. As sad as I am to see this great show get cancelled, I agree that I'd rather see it end in a way that the creators can wrap up the main story than have it run past its expiration date. There are only so many boards overseeing boards behind the curtain that a show can drum up to create an even bigger and badder villain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1213 Unread 06-25-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I cut the cable last month and had to buy the last three episodes on iTunes.
I didn't exactly cut the cord but I did cut a couple of my cableco's "packages", including the one that has BBC America. I'm still not certain I made the right choice but the only thing I watched on BBC-A was Orphan Black. The rest of the package must have been worthless because that's the only channel I miss (and only for OB).

I bought a "Season Pass" for OB from Amazon for $26 and I'll do the same next year. The episodes appear on Amazon the morning after they're aired on BBC-A.

Be seeing you!
post #1203 of 1213 Unread 06-26-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I laughed out loud a few episodes ago when Felix's "sister" (still suspicious about her) met Alison. She said "Just like Sarah, but with less attitude and more hygiene."

Felix needs a new hairdo. That Hitler look doesn't work.
post #1204 of 1213 Unread 06-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post
I didn't exactly cut the cord but I did cut a couple of my cableco's "packages", including the one that has BBC America. I'm still not certain I made the right choice but the only thing I watched on BBC-A was Orphan Black. The rest of the package must have been worthless because that's the only channel I miss (and only for OB).

I bought a "Season Pass" for OB from Amazon for $26 and I'll do the same next year. The episodes appear on Amazon the morning after they're aired on BBC-A.
I stopped watching shows on BBCA a couple years ago because of the annoying popups, commercials, and picture quality. For me, it is so much more enjoyable to watch the episodes on Amazon Prime. Orphan Black is one show I have no problem paying to watch on Amazon Prime. I think it is well worth the cost.
post #1205 of 1213 Unread 06-26-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 770
One thing I disliked about this season is BBCA has tacked on the 30 minute after show making it a 90 minute recording. Up to now BBCA, and its' parent AMC, have made the after talk a separate show. While I easily delete the recording as soon as the actual episode is over, it just it just irks me that they're being so sneaky.
post #1206 of 1213 Unread 06-26-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I haven't had my cable company's $10 channel package that included BBC America for a few years, but somehow I was able to watch the past two seasons of OB via the On Demand area, and could even FF commercials and I didn't get annoying pop ups. Season 3, I was only able to access the shows in standard definition. But this season, I could get the HD On Demand versions ... that is until I cut the cord.

I'm not sure why my cable company packaged BBC America with a bunch of kids channels and female-oriented lifestyle channels. If I didn't get OB free via On Demand, it would've been cheaper to pay for each season on Amazon or iTunes than pay for three months of that otherwise worthless package ($30 + fee to cancel package).
post #1207 of 1213 Unread 09-18-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Emmy finally got it right this year! Congratulations to Tatiana Maslany!
post #1208 of 1213 Unread 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Tatiana!!! Congratulations! Finally, well-deserved recognition for her amazing talent.

Steve
post #1209 of 1213 Unread 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Full backstage Emmy interview:
post #1210 of 1213 Unread 09-20-2016, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I don't even normally care about awards... but definitely deserved here!
acebreathe likes this.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1211 of 1213 Unread Yesterday, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3014 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
'Bout time!
post #1212 of 1213 Unread Today, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Re-watched seasons 1-2 on Blu-ray last Sunday before learning Maslany got the well-deserved Emmy. With so many other series ending, TV viewing was in the doldrums. Might buy seasons 3-4 if they joint-package them eventually, although didn't enjoy them as much.

Knowing the characters and plot better made it easier to appreciate the editing, cinematograhy and sound tracks from the four Blu-rays--as well as Maslany's remarkable feat. Hadn't noticed the soundtrack as much earlier, like the purring often used menacingly. The last season is slated for next year, and Maslany says (back-stage link above) she's in a feature film.

Speculation grows about endings.. Figure they'll show Sarah and daughter Kira happily feeding the chickens. Kira displays her precognition, routinely predicting her father's arrival home by pick-up truck. Alison, the suburban mom, is elected to local government and wins an acting award. Pre-doctorate Cosima cures herself and is nominated for a science prize. Helena has a role in "cleaning up" the clone pursuers, after giving birth. Etc. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; Today at 09:26 AM. Reason: sp.
post #1213 of 1213 Unread Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Re-watched seasons 1-2 on Blu-ray last Sunday before learning Maslany got the well-deserved Emmy. With so many other series ending, TV viewing was in the doldrums. Might buy seasons 3-4 if they joint-package them eventually, although didn't enjoy them as much.

Knowing the characters and plot better made it easier to appreciate the editing, cinematograhy and sound tracks from the four Blu-rays--as well as Maslany's remarkable feat. Hadn't noticed the soundtrack as much earlier, like the purring often used menacingly. The last season is slated for next year, and Maslany says (back-stage link above) she's in a feature film.

Speculation grows about endings.. Figure they'll show Sarah and daughter Kira happily feeding the chickens. Kira displays her precognition, routinely predicting her father's arrival home by pick-up truck. Alison, the suburban mom, is elected to local government and wins an acting award. Pre-doctorate Cosima cures herself and is nominated for a science prize. Helena has a role in "cleaning up" the clone pursuers, after giving birth. Etc. -- John
I'll be resorting to rewatching things before long too. I ditched every new show from last season and I'm not even bothering to record any new ones this fall...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread