"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #1231 of 1296 Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
While I feel sorry about Mika's untimely demise, I honestly won't miss her. I find "hacker" characters to generally be contrived and lazy, especially when they're used to magically fix big problems with but a few keystrokes, and she was the weakest clone character, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1296 Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Did I miss something? Helena didn't get shot. She had a stick in her abdomen that they removed at the hospital. And Sarah never carved up a Wolf. Someone else did that.
Heard a shot and saw the blood spot, so misinterpreted it. Not sure about the wolf carving. The neos/dogs were on her heels and she had a jackknife, so must have been fast monster in the woods that took out the wolf's stomach. -- John
post #1233 of 1296 Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4755 Post(s)
Liked: 4298
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
Heard a shot and saw the blood spot, so misinterpreted it. Not sure about the wolf carving. The neos/dogs were on her heels and she had a jackknife, so must have been fast monster in the woods that took out the wolf's stomach. -- John

I'm guessing it was the guy who attacked Sarah in episode 1 (maybe 2). The one that seems to live in the woods.
allargon likes this.

post #1234 of 1296 Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 574
That scene with Ferdinand stomping on M.K. was pretty brutal and dark even for this show. It looks like Ferdinand is being set up to be this season's biggest heavy and will surely encounter an equally brutal demise before it's all said and done.

I loved how Allison was more concerned about the voice mail regarding her church's Fall Fair planning group than the one from her mother about her children.

Looks like they needed to wrap up this show before Kira starts growing boobs.
post #1235 of 1296 Old 06-19-2017, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4755 Post(s)
Liked: 4298
It was all good until that last line :/
Keenan and Nachosgrande like this.
post #1236 of 1296 Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 985
I like the show and the way that they have Tatiana "act with herself" never fails to blow me away. This time Sarah and Mika.

I don't like the fact that both of the first two shows had some exposition but both shows had big escapes that just failed. Lots of noise and ultimately nothing happened. Having Kira have a fit and keep from going with Sarah was pretty anticlimactic.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #1237 of 1296 Old 06-25-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Not sure it's a good editing idea to mix flashbacks with Alison eating 'magic mushrooms'. Season 5 and she can't fathom meeting this Cosima character on her front porch. It's all outlined in ew's episode 3 recap. -- John
post #1238 of 1296 Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This week's episode really illustrates how much more entertaining storylines involving Allison and Helena are. I love the dark humor, though I'm sure it would get old if the show dwelt on their quirky characters too much. It was also great to see Allison step up and confront Rachel, though I was confused where the head came from. Last I remember Cosima had it to remove the implant.
post #1239 of 1296 Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
This week's episode really illustrates how much more entertaining storylines involving Allison and Helena are. I love the dark humor, though I'm sure it would get old if the show dwelt on their quirky characters too much. It was also great to see Allison step up and confront Rachel, though I was confused where the head came from. Last I remember Cosima had it to remove the implant.
Yeah, where did Alison get the head so quickly? She didn't go home to get it, as the cops were still there. So where did it come from?

I'm getting more and more convinced the show is just sinking from its own convoluted history and it's past time to leave the stage.
post #1240 of 1296 Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Yes, I really liked this episode. Though a couple here have expressed irritation with the whole whimsical, comedic clone housewife cliche-in-the-suburbs thing in the past, I enjoy it. For the most part.

Favorite moment: Donnie's face bouncing against the stage as he's being pulled back behind the curtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, where did Alison get the head so quickly? She didn't go home to get it, as the cops were still there. So where did it come from?
Good question, I didn't even stop to consider it. That's the trouble with show discussion threads like these. You find more reasons to be irritated with a show than you would normally find on your own.

Quote:

I'm getting more and more convinced the show is just sinking from its own convoluted history and it's past time to leave the stage.
you're stealing my line.
post #1241 of 1296 Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Yeah, have to admit I'm with you but I'm still enjoying this season. 5 seasons is just right for it to end. The loose ends are a tad too loose; hopefully, the writers will give this series a proper send-off & a satisfying ending. It has been a thrill to see Matiany's talent at work but it's time.
aaronwt likes this.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 06-27-2017 at 06:09 AM.
post #1242 of 1296 Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Agree with previous comments. I'm enjoying this season but have no regrets that it's the last. Time to wrap it up.
Didn't care much that MK got nixed. No emotional connection with the silly rabbit character.
post #1243 of 1296 Old 07-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well the last 15 minutes of last night's episode made for some ugly television. Sarah and every mom (and quite a lot of dads) on the planet will go ballistics on Rachel and Westmorland. Let the nukes fly!
post #1244 of 1296 Old 07-17-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gotta admit that Krystal is killing it here. Hilarious episode intermixed with darkness. Orphan Black at its best.
Ph8te, allargon and nottenst like this.
post #1245 of 1296 Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2416 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Gotta admit that Krystal is killing it here. Hilarious episode intermixed with darkness. Orphan Black at its best.
Yes, indeed! I love it when Krystal shows up.
post #1246 of 1296 Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And Krystal/Tatiana playing off her real world significant other.

I wonder about such scenarios. Is it the star pushing it upon, err, gently suggesting it, or is it the showrunners? More likely the former. Not that he didn't do a fine job, but still a little eyebrow-raising.
post #1247 of 1296 Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the (unbeknownst yet to Rachel) truth that Westmoreland isn't turn-of-the-19th-century old and that parting comment from S to Rachael about how, "you might need us some day", it seems to be foreshadowing that Rachael comes back to the clone-fold by series end. Probably not being fully embraced nor embracing them, but perhaps a last dying gesture in which she chooses them over her ambitions.
post #1248 of 1296 Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
With the (unbeknownst yet to Rachel) truth that Westmoreland isn't turn-of-the-19th-century old and that parting comment from S to Rachael about how, "you might need us some day", it seems to be foreshadowing that Rachael comes back to the clone-fold by series end. Probably not being fully embraced nor embracing them, but perhaps a last dying gesture in which she chooses them over her ambitions.
I had the same take. Good writers put in subtle reveals. No idea how it ends.
post #1249 of 1296 Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I took S's comment to Rachel to mean she's in over her head and in danger with Virginia Coady back in the mix -- just a pawn in the scheme of things. I remember something being said about a clone never being truly accepted as the head of Dyad.
post #1250 of 1296 Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the last two episodes have done a good job of bringing everything together. The first few episodes this season made little sense, but everything is coming together now.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
post #1251 of 1296 Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On one hand, I'm glad they circled back and are exploring the daughter's seeming telepathy, not leaving it to dangle as a loose strand for the remainder of the series.

On the other hand, with a lot of the material grounded at least somewhat in real science, I don't like that they've added this supernatural element. Makes it more interesting I suppose, but it's a little silly in the context of everything else.
post #1252 of 1296 Old 07-20-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I've disliked her telepathic abilities ever since they were introduced. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the show at all, and the strange thing is that she never needed such abilities in the first place. Her importance to the show is her healing ability, which was introduced with the car crash. Her ability to sense her sisters is not only dumb but superfluous.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1253 of 1296 Old 07-20-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 789
^ and there was the "mystery organ" in her x-ray in the hospital after the car accident.

It seems that was a one shot deal?

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #1254 of 1296 Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't recall. Was it a mystery organ they were pointing to in that x-ray scene? Or simply pointing out how quickly the once damaged areas were now gone??
post #1255 of 1296 Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't recall anything about a mysterious organ. She was just healing quickly, and now we know it's because the gene that was supposed to manifest in the clones instead manifested in their offspring. That gives plenty of purpose to Kira without her needing to be psychic, too.
post #1256 of 1296 Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see the telepathic connection akin to the connection that real twins say they experience. Helena who was from the same womb as Sarah felt it in the first season, so I don't see it as a superntural element being added--just extended or developed more.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1257 of 1296 Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I don't recall. Was it a mystery organ they were pointing to in that x-ray scene? Or simply pointing out how quickly the once damaged areas were now gone??
IIRC... and it was a few years back so my recollection may be a little off.... they pointed at something (which we did not get a good look at) on the x-ray and one of the doctors said something like "what is that?"...

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
post #1258 of 1296 Old 07-23-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OMG! Rachel pulled a Fish Mooney! (though done in a more realistic--and graphic--fashion than on Gotham)

Not digging the new Allison. Typical TV to have someone's personality completely changed after a week-long New Age-y retreat. Silly.

We need more Helena this season. I wonder if the actress was really pregnant so they had to write her out of the show as much as possible with the pregnancy convalescence.

Also what happened to Art's Dyad-plant partner? She doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of staying on top of Art's Clone Club activities.
Keenan and HDMe2 like this.
post #1259 of 1296 Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked: 3842
Quote:
Also what happened to Art's Dyad-plant partner? She doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of staying on top of Art's Clone Club activities.
Probably served her purpose, unless she's to provide one more hurdle to Sarah & company's escape plan. Now that they're in the final stretch, they're probably shedding any superfluous plotlines and characters.

Wonder if Rachel will now join Clone Club in the final battle against Dyad? All for one, one for all, finally? And it's time we got Felix back in the fight. Hasn't he been over in England researching something?
Zookster likes this.
post #1260 of 1296 Old 07-23-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who purposefully skip end-of-episode previews, you may interested to know that... there was none. In place of an actual preview, they made a non-preview preview, making a big deal out of saying that there will be no preview because the upcoming episodes are just too great/too intense/too shocking/etc., to show.

Risky move (tempting a letdown from that kind of hyperbolic build-up), though an intriguing one.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page