"ORPHAN BLACK" on BBC America in HD - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288Likes

post #1261 of 1310 Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Btw, I think Tatiana does a pretty solid job playing drunk. She had those, "unstable, but I'm trying not to look drunk and unstable" physical movements down pretty well.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1310 Old 07-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
With Kira out of danger, I'm going out on a limb and say next week's episode will be centered on Helena.
post #1263 of 1310 Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Probably served her purpose, unless she's to provide one more hurdle to Sarah & company's escape plan. Now that they're in the final stretch, they're probably shedding any superfluous plotlines and characters.

Wonder if Rachel will now join Clone Club in the final battle against Dyad? All for one, one for all, finally?
My hope is that sometime before it ends we get to see an eight-clone dance party that includes Sarah, Cosima, Allison, Helena, Rachel, Crystal, Charlotte, and ... wait for it ... TONY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And it's time we got Felix back in the fight. Hasn't he been over in England researching something?
In Switzerland with Adele (his biological sister and disbarred lawyer) following the Dyad money trail.

post #1264 of 1310 Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 552
They do a lot of push pull with Rachel... get you to hate her for a while... then give you reason to feel sorry for her again.
post #1265 of 1310 Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

We need more Helena this season. I wonder if the actress was really pregnant so they had to write her out of the show as much as possible with the pregnancy convalescence.

THIS is why I read the Interwebs so I can get the inside scoop.

I've sworn off drinking gin now.
post #1266 of 1310 Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So is Ms. S. really dead? What do you guys think? I'm 50/50. On the one hand, the entire episode seemed to be setting her up for a demise (she told Sarah she taught her everything she knows), but on the other hand, the show-runners could be setting us up for a big surprise with her pulling through. Yet, given this is the end of the line for the show, they've got to have one or two big character deaths (Gracie, Susan Duncan, and Ira don't count). However, there are still two episodes to go.
post #1267 of 1310 Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
So is Ms. S. really dead?
I think it is highly likely. Ferdinand has lived through several near-death experiences and he looks even more likely to have died. Still, plenty of chance for more flashbacks for Mrs. S in any case.

When they didn't have a preview for the episode, I was in real dread during Felix' party thinking that a Neolution attack was going to take place there. Instead we did get solely a celebration there.
post #1268 of 1310 Old 07-31-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked: 4086
Mrs. S is not merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.

You could tell by the eyes -- they were open and all movement stopped. Besides, it kind of makes sense given how Felix made such a big deal about singing her praises at his party. If ever there was a foreshadowing of imminent demise, that was it. And since she must have known Ferdinand would be back at the house trying to find the real flash drive, it's almost like she welcomed it. She's done a lot of bad stuff and Neolution is now exposed thanks in large part to her efforts. It almost seemed like she was kinda' ready to check out.
aaronwt, ss9001, Keenan and 2 others like this.
post #1269 of 1310 Old 07-31-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
This is why showrunners' lies are bad for a show. They said Helena was dead in season 1, and she wasn't, so now the emotional impact of Mrs. S's death is diminished, because nobody is willing to believe that she actually died.
post #1270 of 1310 Old 07-31-2017, 01:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This is why showrunners' lies are bad for a show. They said Helena was dead in season 1, and she wasn't, so now the emotional impact of Mrs. S's death is diminished, because nobody is willing to believe that she actually died.
I guess they could bring her back next season too. But there are no more seasons.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1271 of 1310 Old 07-31-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Delphine was supposedly dead -- Coady too, I think. And in season 1, Kira had a miraclulous recovery as well.
That's why I'm not 100% certain Mrs. S. is dead dead in spite of all appearances to the contrary.
post #1272 of 1310 Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM

But can we at least say, "Goodnight Gracie?"
post #1273 of 1310 Old 08-01-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Yeah... the show has set a bad precedent for characters that seemed to have mortal wounds being believed to be dead only to surface again later... Normally I would say that means Mrs S might be still kicking... but with this being the last season, I'm inclined to say she took one for the team and will stay dead.
post #1274 of 1310 Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 541
I get the feeling that Helena (and her bebes) will go out in a blaze of glory saving her Sestras, leaving just Kira as the only miracle child.
archiguy likes this.
post #1275 of 1310 Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

But if memory serves, didn't she bury the rest of eggs at Allison and Donnie's place?
post #1276 of 1310 Old 08-04-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
But if memory serves, didn't she bury the rest of eggs at Allison and Donnie's place?
I believe because she didn't properly keep them cool, they "died," so she just buried the metal cylinder containing her dead eggs as one would bury the coffin of a deceased loved one.
archiguy likes this.
post #1277 of 1310 Old 08-04-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I believe because she didn't properly keep them cool, they "died," so she just buried the metal cylinder containing her dead eggs as one would bury the coffin of a deceased loved one.
That's true, but because they were CloneClub SuperEggs™ they might have survived by healing themselves inside the cylinder. Keep hope alive!
replayrob likes this.
post #1278 of 1310 Old 08-06-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Disappointed with the Helena flashback element of this episode.

1. The most obvious and ridiculous flaw being the bleached hair episode. So her hair becomes permanently bleached-blonde from an experience or few with the bucket treatment? C'mon. Or do they mean to suggest that Helena liked the look so much that she has dyed her hair on a regular basis ever since, because, you know, she cares so much about her appearance?

2. After the horrible descriptions in earlier seasons about her ongoing, long-term brutal orphanage treatment, she looked like a rather cutely mischievous, clean & healthy looking child being caught observing the nun after stealing and gorging herself on candy.

Since this was the end of her run with the supposedly long-term brutal orphanage environment, as Tomas was taking her away right after this last incident, I had been lead to always imagine her as a much less healthy looking and unsocialized child than how she was portrayed in these scenes.

Left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth for this episode.

Can't believe there's only one episode left. Seems like they would need a 90 to 120 minute finale, not just an hour.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #1279 of 1310 Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM

So, is Castor Mark really dead? It seems like there weren't many questions from him concerning Gracie after Helena arrived. Maybe he will be the one who takes down Westmorland next week.
post #1280 of 1310 Old 08-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
So, is Castor Mark really dead? It seems like there weren't many questions from him concerning Gracie after Helena arrived. Maybe he will be the one who takes down Westmorland next week.
Yes, I'm afraid Mark has joined Mrs. S as not merely dead, but really most sincerely dead. But he was avenged! Helena did a number on Virginia's noggin -- so she's probably dead too. Now that Helena's escaped, Ginny really didn't have any more use, plotwise.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1281 of 1310 Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think Rachel is the logical person to kill Westmorland. I see her popping her up out of nowhere (we'll think she's still laying low in her hotel room) to save Sarah, Helena, and/or the bebes.
post #1282 of 1310 Old 08-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

I also had doubts as to whether Mark was completely dead yet, but I accept that he is. I was hoping that he would finish Engers off after her upcoming confrontation with Art. I don't think Art will kill her in their meeting that must occur early in the finale.

As afar as Westmorland's fate - I've no idea who will do the deed. Maybe it will be a group effort. Or he will get what he deserves instead of what he wants from his "cure."

The "Babies coming" line at the end was delivered so well.

I hope that at the end of the episode we get a coda showing how Kira and the babies are some 10 years or more into the future.
philw1776 likes this.
post #1283 of 1310 Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Great series finale. There are some answers/speculation about unanswered questions in this interview with Tatiana Maslany. Massive spoilers for the finale.
aaronwt, Ph8te and Zookster like this.
post #1284 of 1310 Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Enjoyed the finale' as well!

One thing that was a little odd in the very last 10 seconds of the finale'... as they were leaving the house to go to the beach we clearly see Sara and Felix... but Kira is covered from head to toe including a hat and adult size sunglasses and she never looks up or at the camera- just heads strait for the door with what seems like dubbed dialog.
I wonder if that scene was filmed as an afterthought with the stand-in for Kira taking her place?

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!”
M. Tyson
post #1285 of 1310 Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I enjoyed the finale as well and liked the subdued four-clone baby shower huddle in the backyard. But I'm bothered by a few unanswered questions:

Who will be Charlotte’s guardian? Art? Donnie and Allison? She seems to have the closest relationship with Cosima, but she’s busy traveling the world inoculating Leda clones and doesn't have much interest in being a mother apparently. We also never find out what happened to her adoptive mother, Marion Bowles, who would be her rightful guardian if she's still alive. But her name never came up since Cosima encountered her on the island.

What about Cal (Kira’s father)? Wasn’t Sarah’s plan to reunite with him once she got past all her problems with Dyad?

And whatever became of Mud? Last we see she's surrounded by Westmorland's camp in flames.

I know there's only so much they could do in the finale, but some of these things could be answered with a couple lines of dialogue.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1286 of 1310 Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I liked how Helena named the babies after Donnie and Arthur. A little better than naming them after the color of their socks, lol. Liked the last 1/2 of the episode, it was good they gave some time to what happened after they finally were all free.
aaronwt, replayrob and Ph8te like this.
post #1287 of 1310 Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 152
For a somewhat edgy show the finale (OK, OK a couple brutal killings aside) was pretty mainstream. Liked the way they handled Rachel and the open ended feeling of the worldwide seestra clones yet to be cured. I congratulate the Orphan Black writers and producers for not trying to show us how smart & clever they see themselves as by coming up with a denouement like those that have ruined other otherwise excellent series. You know who you are.
I feel that the Castor sideline was the low point of the series. This season started slowly but recovered.
Will miss Helena the most. Does this science geek having the hots for Chrystal make me a vapid person? I guess it's like Elon Musk and his actress wives & GFs.
post #1288 of 1310 Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
I thought the finale was a great sendoff, too. The title explanation didn't really explain anything other than describing the show as a depiction of Helena's journal, but everybody got a happy ending, except perhaps for Rachel.

I would guess that we didn't see Cal in the finale since a) it was trying to focus solely on the sestras, and b) a major emphasis was placed on Sarah still not knowing what to do with herself or how to be a mother when punching bad guys wasn't involved. Putting Cal in the picture probably would have made it look too neat or given the impression that she was just going to rely on him the way she relied on S, which would have undermined the message of the clones finally gaining their independence.

I didn't like the Castor storyline much, either, but I would still say that Tony was the single lowest point of the series, though.
Ph8te, allargon and Zookster like this.
post #1289 of 1310 Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Enjoyed the finale' as well!

One thing that was a little odd in the very last 10 seconds of the finale'... as they were leaving the house to go to the beach we clearly see Sara and Felix... but Kira is covered from head to toe including a hat and adult size sunglasses and she never looks up or at the camera- just heads strait for the door with what seems like dubbed dialog.
I wonder if that scene was filmed as an afterthought with the stand-in for Kira taking her place?
After reading this post, I went back and looked at the scene a couple of times last night. To me it looked like it was still the same actress playing Kira in that last scene. Although maybe a little older?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1290 of 1310 Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought the finale was a great sendoff, too. The title explanation didn't really explain anything other than describing the show as a depiction of Helena's journal, but everybody got a happy ending, except perhaps for Rachel.

I would guess that we didn't see Cal in the finale since a) it was trying to focus solely on the sestras, and b) a major emphasis was placed on Sarah still not knowing what to do with herself or how to be a mother when punching bad guys wasn't involved. Putting Cal in the picture probably would have made it look too neat or given the impression that she was just going to rely on him the way she relied on S, which would have undermined the message of the clones finally gaining their independence.

I didn't like the Castor storyline much, either, but I would still say that Tony was the single lowest point of the series, though.
I’m definitely glad the “happy ending” for the four main clones didn’t necessarily mean they all ended up with their life partner (just Allison and Cosima). And I agree bringing Cal into the picture would not have fit with Sarah’s post-Dyad existential dilemma, and I liked she’s not running to someone else to “save” her. However, since Cal figured prominently in season 2 and they seemed to have a real connection, not to mention the fact he’s Kira’s dad and Sarah's still totally single, they could have at least tied up that loose end with a couple lines of dialogue to the effect:

Felix: So where do things stand with Cal? Will you be seeing him now?
Sarah: With everything that’s gone on the past two years, I really don’t know how I feel about him anymore. But I know Kira wants to see him, so I’ll try to make that happen.

And regarding Charlotte, again just a quick line of dialogue would've tied up that loose end as well:

Sarah (or Cosima) to Charlotte: We’re going to have you stay with Donnie and Allison (or Art) until we can figure out what happened to your mom, and then go from there.

Given that this entire show started over a custody battle between Sarah and Mrs. S over Kira, it seems strange for it to end with the loose end of a child whose custody status is totally up in the air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page