Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Review
Twin Sneaks: 'Orphan Black' a Double Thriller
By Eric Gould, TVWorthWatching.com - Mar. 28, 2013

The lead character of BBC America's new series, Orphan Black, is obviously not averse to taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity that presents itself.

Since the premise is set up in the show's very first scene, it's not much of a spoiler to say that while standing on a subway platform waiting for a train, street-wise Sarah (Tatiana Maslany) spots a woman who looks exactly like her. Before Sarah can get face-to-face with her doppelgänger, the woman throws herself in front of the oncoming train and is instantly killed.

Undaunted, Sarah picks up the dead woman's purse and slips away before police and paramedics arrive. And that's where the odyssey of Orphan Black, which premieres Saturday, March 30 at 9 p.m. ET, begins.

Sarah, a scruffy Brit raised in America by a foster mother, begins to familiarize herself with the life of the dead woman, whose name was Beth. Sarah's intent is to empty out Beth's bank account, but what Sarah thinks will be a quick score leads to a chain of Quantum Leap-style situations that require her to think quick to keep fooling those who knew Beth, including Beth's boyfriend, Paul (Dylan Bruce). Sarah, who's on the run from an abusive ex, quickly becomes embedded in the role, and, as things evolve, she can't get out.

It's Sarah's need to hide her real identity and succeed in portraying her assumed identity that brings the "Black" to the series title.

In an email to TVWW, co-producer/creator Graeme Manson wrote, "In England I heard the term "working black" used to describe my sketchy employment as a roofer. It means working "under the table" or illegally, in the "black economy." Many of our characters are all essentially orphans — they have no discernible biological parents. But without giving too much away, Sarah is different, a "child to hide." She is off the radar, "in the black."

The pilot episode makes us wonder whether Sarah's identical twin is just a miraculous coincidence (how could it be?) or if there is something deeper, more sinister going on (of course, there has to be). As the show progresses things begin to unravel, and Sarah finds herself sinking deeper and deeper into a situation she could have never imagined.

Maslany makes a good, credible run as Sarah, particularly when she's got to get herself out of a sticky spot. Jordan Gavaris also does well as her equally-jaded foster brother Felix, a struggling artist living in a hipster, industrial loft. Like his sister, Felix is no stranger to the hustler's game, and helps the new Beth adapt to her new game.

Orphan Black moves between plot points, at least in the pilot, with a minimum of outlandish tricks. There's a big curve at the end of the premiere's conclusion, as big as the opening scene, that will no doubt propel viewers to episode two.

Orphan Black isn't strictly a conspiracy thriller, or a pseudo-sci-fi, although the series, which has the tone of a dystopian Phillip K. Dick thriller (Minority Report, The Adjustment Bureau) but without the gadgetry antics, seems headed there.

The series ought to do well with younger viewers, who may identify with the smart, feisty rebel. There's also plenty of hip, jagged editing and modern music to keep viewers engaged. (And be forewarned: The show also has its fair share of nudity and violence.) Scheduling it in a Saturday night spot, however, may keep it off the radar of the 18+ demographic that might appreciate it the most, and it will need to rely heavily on DVR viewings to capture that audience.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogPostDetails.aspx?postId=4554
see this over on the "Hot Off The Press" thread .. .. .. So this Show Needs a thread ! smile.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 838 Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I have my DVR ready for this. It looks good from the promo's so I'll check it out.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 838 Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
post #4 of 838 Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

orphanblack_thumbnail_01_web2.jpg&w=320&h=180&zc=1&a=t
OrphanBlack_FirstLook_S01_13_photo_web.jpg&h=412&w=732

OrphanBlack_FirstLook_S01_10_photo_web-copy.jpg&h=412&w=732
Quote:
About the Show

Sarah has always lived the life of an orphan outsider. But a clone is never alone.

Sarah hopes that cleaning out a dead woman’s bank account will solve all her problems. Instead, her problems multiply – and so does she. Experience a whole new side of BBC AMERICA with the channel’s next original scripted series, “Orphan Black,” the exciting and ambitious new addition to the Supernatural Saturday programming block. “Orphan Black” features rising star Tatiana Maslany (“Cas & Dylan,” “Picture Day”) in the lead role of Sarah, an outsider and orphan whose life changes dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looks just like her. Sarah assumes her identity, her boyfriend and her bank account. But instead of solving her problems, the street smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. She makes the dizzying discovery that she and the dead woman are clones… but are they the only ones? Sarah quickly finds herself caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers about who she is and how many others there are just like her. Orphan Black premieres Saturday, March 30, 9:00pm ET/PT, as part of BBC AMERICA’s Supernatural Saturday.

This suspenseful, sexy thriller also stars Jordan Gavaris (“Degrassi”), Dylan Bruce (“As The World Turns”) and Maria Doyle Kennedy (“Downton Abbey”). Orphan Black is executive produced by Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier (“Being Erica”), Graeme Manson (“Flashpoint”), and John Fawcett (“Spartacus”). The drama is co-created by Manson and Fawcett, with Manson also serving as writer and Fawcett as director.
copy & pix from the BBC website

Mike

post #5 of 838 Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Everything I've read & the videos have me reeled in So Far , Kinda Gun Shy after going all in on FOX's "The Following" but at least this is a true Syfy conspiracy show where one really can't confuse the plausibility factors like how "The Following" is so bad at being even a remotely believable plot & characters .
And Hey it's on Saturday nights . No Conflicts at all ! ! !
I hope it is as good as the "Alphas" was , I miss that show . rolleyes.gif

Mike

post #6 of 838 Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I liked the pilot !
, seems to move fast they cover alotta ground .
The lead actress is good , very well played I M O
She's gone down a Deep rabbit hole indeed smile.gif

Mike

post #7 of 838 Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I'm not sure. Seems a bit silly. My wife pointed out this was similar to Sarah Michelle Gellar's show Ringer which we quit watching because it was so bad.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #8 of 838 Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I'm not sure. Seems a bit silly. My wife pointed out this was similar to Sarah Michelle Gellar's show Ringer which we quit watching because it was so bad.
Ringer was a thru & thru soap , this has hinted SyFi element to it .
I liked it "so far" rolleyes.gif

Mike

post #9 of 838 Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I actually liked Ringer because it pretty much was a Soap, and it didn't apologize for being one! It also moved the plot along very quickly... and while some cliches were there and some hard-to-believe aspects, they didn't linger and drag things along... they would introduce something, solve it, and twist it for a cliffhanger episode after episode. I was sorry to see that go.

I DVRed Orphan Black and am probably going to logoff and watch it shortly. I liked the teasers, and I agree it seems to have more sci-fi elements to it. Ringer was about actual legitimate twins... I gather Orphan Black is about clones or something.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #10 of 838 Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I actually liked Ringer because it pretty much was a Soap, and it didn't apologize for being one! It also moved the plot along very quickly... and while some cliches were there and some hard-to-believe aspects, they didn't linger and drag things along... they would introduce something, solve it, and twist it for a cliffhanger episode after episode. I was sorry to see that go.

I DVRed Orphan Black and am probably going to logoff and watch it shortly. I liked the teasers, and I agree it seems to have more sci-fi elements to it. Ringer was about actual legitimate twins... I gather Orphan Black is about clones or something.
I'll admit as well me & the wife both liked "Ringer" & I felt it was the only soap I liked , then "Revenge" came around , I liked "Revenge" 1st's season but now it's getting tired for me I still watch but that show stays on the DVR now till there's nothin' left L O L .
Orphan Black has a gritty feel & has a dark under tone , so I have a guess that I'll like it BUT after "The Following" debacle of my enthusiasm being trashed with that new show . I'm still on the fence with OB sorta , but I did like what I had seen tonite . Where after the 1st show of Bacon & Co I had my doughs & those are now frown.gif proving true with "The Following"

Mike

post #11 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I really anticipated this show since I heard it was coming. I liked it; but - how does she go from not knowing what's going on to "OMG they're all my clones!"? Did I miss something in the premiere?confused.gif

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #12 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I liked the pilot and it had good tension and twists in it. I missed DVRing the first showing of episode one and recorded the second one. I'm wondering if they bleeped her first word in the earlier showing, they didn't in the second?
post #13 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I liked it too, I just hope it doesn't devolve into a TheCW style soap as I can see that happening very easily with all the young characters in the show.

I've seen Maslany in other roles but had no idea she could pull off the sexy/smart look as well as she does in this, very nice!
post #14 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I liked the pilot and it had good tension and twists in it. I missed DVRing the first showing of episode one and recorded the second one. I'm wondering if they bleeped her first word in the earlier showing, they didn't in the second?
Nope she said " Sh*t" on the 1st showing smile.gif

Mike

post #15 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

I really anticipated this show since I heard it was coming. I liked it; but - how does she go from not knowing what's going on to "OMG they're all my clones!"? Did I miss something in the premiere?confused.gif
when did she say "OMG they're all my clones!"?

I'm rewatching it now with captions on , as I missed what the German clone said to Sarah just before she was shot something to the effect
"we're one of many "

Mike

post #16 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

when did she say "OMG they're all my clones!"?

I'm rewatching it now with captions on , as I missed what the German clone said to Sarah just before she was shot something to the effect
"we're one of many "
I must have missed that too, I don't recall her saying anything about clones.

The German girl said,

"Just one. I'm a few. No family, too. Who am I?"

It appears to be some sort of code phrase they use to verify each others boni fides.
post #17 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I must have missed that too, I don't recall her saying anything about clones.

The German girl said,

"Just one. I'm a few. No family, too. Who am I?"

It appears to be some sort of code phrase they use to verify each others boni fides.
Yeah just rewatched with captions that's what I got as well , when Sarah didn't respond she said "your not Beth " & then gets shot cool.gif
that " they're all my clones " might be one of the pre-view video's on line @ the website or a review site .
that was Not in the pilot at all .

Mike

post #18 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Esquire interview with Tatiana
Caution ::::: slight spoilers

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/tatiana-maslany-orphan-black?click=top

Mike

post #19 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

after watching the pilot another time , I really was able to concentrate on the other things in each scene , the world they are portraying is both dark ,gritty & also a new shiney,modern classy feel .

Dead Beth's stylish new Jag vs the worn black undercover cop cruiser.

Fe's industrial hipster warehouse flat vs Dead Beth's modern apartment/condo ,

the street scenes that flipped between a upscale neighborhood to the run down industrial graffiti blazoned area @ Fe's

I loved the " Oh Sh*t ! what have I gotten myself into " look of terror on Sarah's face when she was being dragged into the Cop Shop . . . Priceless !

Mike

post #20 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Show has a 72 score so far at Metacritic.
post #21 of 838 Old 03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I'll admit as well me & the wife both liked "Ringer" & I felt it was the only soap I liked , then "Revenge" came around , I liked "Revenge" 1st's season but now it's getting tired for me I still watch but that show stays on the DVR now till there's nothin' left L O L .
Orphan Black has a gritty feel & has a dark under tone , so I have a guess that I'll like it BUT after "The Following" debacle of my enthusiasm being trashed with that new show . I'm still on the fence with OB sorta , but I did like what I had seen tonite . Where after the 1st show of Bacon & Co I had my doughs & those are now frown.gif proving true with "The Following"

Yup. I bailed quickly on Ringer. Sticking with The Following and its idiocy for just this season. Fast Fwd makes it tolerable.

This has a different Sci-Fi Thriller feel to it. Having issues with our main character. I like the actress but her character is a pretty sleazy criminal. Let's see where this goes with character development. A much better opening show than The Following.
post #22 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So its in BBC America, is it filmed here or in Canada?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I liked the first ep (do they call them "pilots" across the pond?). Yes, Sarah lives on the sketchy side of the law, but we still don't know much about her past or motivations. We don't know why she left for a year or where she went. There's undoubtedly more of her than meets the eye (what meet the eye is pretty nice and that was a relatively daring sex scene for basic cable - that bodes well) and I suspect we'll grow more sympathetic with her and her situation as more is revealed about why she is who she is. The clone thing is a detour into sci-fi and that's right up my alley. If it were just another 'Ringer', I'd pass. Why are the clones we've seen either suicidal or homicide victims? Which means somebody knows about Sarah and is trying to kill her too, probably the lot of them. Wonder how many there are?

I don't know about the supporting cast... the stereotypical flaming best-pal & confidant is overdone and this one isn't particularly likable, nor is the former boyfriend/drug dealer dude. The partner cop seems like a formulaic, by-the-book partner cop. So it's the sci-fi angle that makes it compelling for me so far. We'll see.
post #24 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's filmed in Toronto

Loren
post #25 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

So its in BBC America, is it filmed here or in Canada?

BBC America production , that is carried on BBC America ,BBC & filmed in Toronto , CA

Mike

post #26 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The actual location is a bit confusing. At the beginning in the train station there was a PA announcement that the next stop was Manhattan or something like that. The streets and home were not US and I did notice a shot of an Ontario tag on the front of one of the cars.

No one has mentioned the nudity or sexual situations and I love that this is an adult show. I hope that just wasn't for the pilot.
post #27 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

While I got the impression the setting of the show was NYC I don't believe they actually indicate for sure where it is. The telltale that it's not in the US though is the currency they used was definitely not US currency and instead looked to be Canadian.
post #28 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
May well be Toronto "standing in" for NYC. Who can afford to shoot in NYC these days? "Too many rules" as David Lynch says though more about Hollywood. I was expecting a UK setting then we get people with US accents and cars with the steering wheel on the left and driving on the right side of the road.

Chis Hardwick also interviewed Tatiana on "The Nerdist" which had it's season debut Saturday night too. I'll have to catch a repeat as I tuned out of last season as it being a bit too hard core for this old fart. biggrin.gif
post #29 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Its definitely Toronto.
post #30 of 838 Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Good I was wondering. They hint at NYC but the main char so far has a British accent. While that is not normally a big deal with her being raised in NYC it seemed off.

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Orphan Black Season One Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Orphan by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page