36Likes

post #1 of 367 Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 72

ABOUT THE SERIES
Set in the sprawling mecca of the rich and famous, RAY DONOVAN does the dirty work for LA's top power players. The new one-hour series stars Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award nominee Liev Schreiber in his first lead television role as the go-to guy who makes the problems of the city's celebrities, superstar athletes, and business moguls disappear. This powerful drama unfolds when his father, played by Oscar® winner Jon Voight, is unexpectedly released from prison, setting off a chain of events that shakes the Donovan family to its core.

For more information about "Ray Donovan" on SHO, you can visit the official website below.
http://www.sho.com/sho/ray-donovan/about

IMDB,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249007/

You can watch "Ray Donovan" on Showtime starting on Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM CST.

See you guys there! biggrin.gif
Fastslappy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 367 Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rosanna Arquette Heads to Showtime's 'Ray Donovan' (Exclusive)
1:12 PM PDT 4/12/2013 / http://www.hollywoodreporter.com / by Lesley Goldberg

'Grey's Anatomy' Alum Books Recurring Role on Showtime's 'Ray Donovan' (Exclusive)

Rosanna Arquette has been tapped for a guest-starring role on the first-year Liev Schreiber series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

PHOTOS: THR's Cover Shoot With The Stars Of Showtime

Ray Donovan revolves around a professional "fixer" for the rich and famous in Los Angeles -- the title character to be played by Schreiber -- as he balances his work demands and complex family brought on when his father, Mickey (Jon Voight), is unexpectedly released from prison. Paula Malcomson, Eddie Marsan, Dash Mihok, Katherine Moennig and Pooch Hall co-star.

Arquette (Pulp Fiction) will play Linda, a former starlet-turned-screenwriter who befriends Ray's father, Mickey. The gig marks Arquette's latest guest role following turns on Girls, Royal Pains and Private Practice. She's repped by Talent Works and Lovett Management.

She joins a cast that includes recent additions James Woods and Brooke Smith, among others.

Showtime will move Dexter up to a spring premiere June 30 and use the Michael C. Hall-Jennifer Carpenter starrer to launch Ray Donovan, which

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/rosanna-arquette-heads-showtimes-ray-438738
post #3 of 367 Old 05-26-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Drunk, lol biggrin.gif

I need more Cinemax and Showtime shows!
post #4 of 367 Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ray Donavon was developed by Ann Biderman, who did Southland.. I'm in..
post #5 of 367 Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Less than a month to go! biggrin.gif
post #6 of 367 Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This weekend! Should be interesting, hopefully it lives up to the cast.
post #7 of 367 Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That was very well done. I'm hooked and will be watching this.
The ending "street justice" was a little much I think. If Ray really killed the pervert.
post #8 of 367 Old 06-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wow just saw the previews. Tonight after Dexter then watch recorded True Blood! Excellent night for TV.

Ray Donovan looks excellent! TiVo season pass set!

Rick

post #9 of 367 Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I caught the premire of Ray Donovan on On Demand a week ago and really enjoyed it. I hope that Liev Shreiber continues to do the narration of HBO documentaries such as Hard Knocks because he is great with those as well.
post #10 of 367 Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

I caught the premire of Ray Donovan on On Demand a week ago and really enjoyed it. I hope that Liev Shreiber continues to do the narration of HBO documentaries such as Hard Knocks because he is great with those as well.

I was wondering about that myself as he does all the "24/7" narrations as well. I see that the Bengals will be the team in Hard Knocks again, not the best selection but I'll take what I can get.
post #11 of 367 Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Just finished the first episode. Much better than I expected, and I was hoping for a good one. Tons of potential. Don't know how it can go several seasons with the evil dad v. son thing, but lots of distractions from that and a great supporting cast.

Schreiber should have played Reacher.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #12 of 367 Old 07-02-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I almost missed this show. It wasn't on my radar and I saw an article in our Sunday newspaper and decided to record it. We loved it! Thought it was really really realy good. We are hooked after one episode.

post #13 of 367 Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

I found it more promising than good.  But, that's not a bad thing for the 1st episode of a highly plotted series.  I can envision it becoming one of those "saves of the week - with backstory arc" built in though.  Kind of like a more devious version of Person of Interest in setup.  I'll be watching for now in hopes that the first couple of eps are setup and then it settles down.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #14 of 367 Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Moving episode. Ray was smiling because the priest got justice or because he now has more leverage to hurt his father?

Ray showed heart, giving the transsexual payoff for the operation. I thought that was nice. Also how Ray gave her the pep talk about shaping up her life.

Interesting show.
post #15 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Moving episode. Ray was smiling because the priest got justice or because he now has more leverage to hurt his father?

I think leaning towards the latter, but maybe a bit of both.

I was worried this show was going to be a "procedural of the week" type - very glad to see it is not. I like the way the characters are being sketched out, and Elliott Gould is always an asset.
post #16 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

I think leaning towards the latter, but maybe a bit of both.

I was worried this show was going to be a "procedural of the week" type - very glad to see it is not. I like the way the characters are being sketched out, and Elliott Gould is always an asset.

Yeah they seem to be striking a balance between the crisis of the week and the longer arc, which is OK if they can pull it off. The premise really lends itself to that kind of story telling--he's always going to have some immediate problem to take care of, as that's his job, but there's also plenty of room for season-long crises with that wack-a-mole family of his.
post #17 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Have seen only the first episode so far but, as another poster put it, I thought it was promising. You rarely if ever get better actors on one show anywhere than Liev Schreiber, John Voight, and Paula Malcomson. I found the interplay among the members of Ray's dysfunctional family to be fascinating. We learned early that as violent and ruthless as Ray has shown himself to be, his father is probably even more so. Really looking forward to seeing more.
post #18 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This is now the best show on TV. Now that Borgia's got the axe Donovan has stepped in. I didn't think the second episode could be better than the first but it was. Mickey is a wolf dressed in clothes, and going to be a big problem for Ray Great show!

These are just my opinions.
post #19 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

If they can keep it up, this is going to be a great ride. How nice to have some adult entertainment for a change.

I made a joke after the first episode that Schreiber should have played Reacher, but now I think he is Reacher, or the closest I've seen. His scene with the tranny wasn't so much moral, as rational - you're going to die if you do that, so don't do that.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #20 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nice to see Brooke Smith playing Doctor Frances. She's cute in her own special way. I remember her from American Horror Story and Law & Order: SVU. Oh, I guess Weeds too.
Hopefully she's integrated with the show.

post #21 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

If they can keep it up, this is going to be a great ride. How nice to have some adult entertainment for a change.

I made a joke after the first episode that Schreiber should have played Reacher, but now I think he is Reacher, or the closest I've seen. His scene with the tranny wasn't so much moral, as rational - you're going to die if you do that, so don't do that.

As noted earlier, I have seen the first episode and really enjoyed it. Plan to watch episode 2 tonight. I agree that Schreiber's Ray Donovan is incredibly Jack Reacher-like. He's even almost as big as Lee Child's original, which little Tom Cruise certainly couldn't say.

I may be wrong but I am expecting Ray's recently arrived father, Mickey, to turn out to be a very bad dude indeed.
post #22 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

As noted earlier, I have seen the first episode and really enjoyed it. Plan to watch episode 2 tonight. I agree that Schreiber's Ray Donovan is incredibly Jack Reacher-like. He's even almost as big as Lee Child's original, which little Tom Cruise certainly couldn't say.

I may be wrong but I am expecting Ray's recently arrived father, Mickey, to turn out to be a very bad dude indeed.

After the first episode, I thought Mickey would just be plain old evil. One thing I appreciated in the second was that (I'm not spoiling anything here) the writer(s) seemed to be taking a more sophisticated approach, making the viewer at least think about it. Not a one dimensional character as I feared.

Or, he's even better at evil than usual biggrin.gif

While the Reacher movie wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, it certainly had nothing to do with the books, other than throwing a few bones to the fans. I think the reason I'm seeing the connections with Schreiber is that I spent some time entertaining myself trying to figure out just who could play Reacher. I failed. Couldn't think of anyone with acting chops, decent size and basic demeanor to pull it off.

Then along came Ray, and, of course! And the similarity of character so far is very strange - makes me wonder if Ann Biderman is a fan.

post #23 of 367 Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 386
NPR did a Fresh Air interview with Liev Schreiber who plays the title character Ray Donovan.

http://www.npr.org/search/index.php?searchinput=ray+donovan&dateId=0&programId=13
post #24 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After the first episode, I thought Mickey would just be plain old evil. One thing I appreciated in the second was that (I'm not spoiling anything here) the writer(s) seemed to be taking a more sophisticated approach, making the viewer at least think about it. Not a one dimensional character as I feared.

Or, he's even better at evil than usual biggrin.gif

While the Reacher movie wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, it certainly had nothing to do with the books, other than throwing a few bones to the fans. I think the reason I'm seeing the connections with Schreiber is that I spent some time entertaining myself trying to figure out just who could play Reacher. I failed. Couldn't think of anyone with acting chops, decent size and basic demeanor to pull it off.

Then along came Ray, and, of course! And the similarity of character so far is very strange - makes me wonder if Ann Biderman is a fan.

First, I agree that Mickey, although certainly a very bad guy, is a charming fellow. The charismatic and imposing John Voight is perfectly cast as Mickey. I was really glad to see Brooke Smith show up on the show. I loved her as the kidnap victim of creepy Jame Gumb in The Silence of the Lambs and have consistently loved her performances ever since.

I was pleasantly surprised by Tom Cruise's version of Jack Reacher. I saw Jack Reacher in the theater and gave it 8 Stars out of 10. Although Cruise is quite short, he is buff and a terrific athlete. I thought he did an excellent job as Reacher. That said, Schreiber's performances as Ray Donovan really are reminiscent of the Jack Reacher whose exploits we have followed, sometimes with horror, in Lee Child's Jack Reacher thrillers.
post #25 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27

Having now seen episode 2, I am quickly moving from "promising" to fan.  The character development is very good while still delivering compelling and intertwining stories.  Showing this soon that, while formidable, Ray is neither invincible nor invulnerable is a good choice.  Sunday night continues its strong set of shows into the summer, though True Blood is quickly fading away.  A bit sad for HBO, but the Dexter to Ray handoff for Showtime looks terrific.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #26 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I was really glad to see Brooke Smith show up on the show. I loved her as the kidnap victim of creepy Jame Gumb in The Silence of the Lambs and have consistently loved her performances ever since.

That's why she looked so familiar! I didn't care for Lambs much, Manhunter was a much better movie from the same source for my tastes, but she was a standout in it. I suppose you know Ted Levine will be on tomorrow night on The Bridge.

post #27 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ted Levine = Frank Holman in The late great Crime Story.... Manhunter was terriffic, as was Thief... Michael Mann at his best
post #28 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Having now seen episode 2, I am quickly moving from "promising" to fan.  The character development is very good while still delivering compelling and intertwining stories.  Showing this soon that, while formidable, Ray is neither invincible nor invulnerable is a good choice.  Sunday night continues its strong set of shows into the summer, though True Blood is quickly fading away.  A bit sad for HBO, but the Dexter to Ray handoff for Showtime looks terrific.

Speaking of Ray, I laughed out loud when Ray got a satisfied smile on his face when he learned that the guy who Ray's father had murdered in Boston was the priest who had molested Ray's brother. That was great stuff?

Quote:

That's why she looked so familiar! I didn't care for Lambs much, Manhunter was a much better movie from the same source for my tastes, but she was a standout in it. I suppose you know Ted Levine will be on tomorrow night on The Bridge.

I love The Silence of the Lambs and agree with the assessment of IMDb voters whose high opinion of the film, 8.7 Stars out of 10. place it as the 23rd best film of all time on the IMDB's Top 250 Films list. I have the BD. I liked Manhunter too but my personal assessment is that it's not in the same world as The Silence of the Lambs.

Hadn't realized that the versatile and talented Ted Levine was to be a regular on The Bridge. That's good news. Thanks for the heads up!
post #29 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

Ted Levine = Frank Holman in The late great Crime Story.... Manhunter was terriffic, as was Thief... Michael Mann at his best
"Thief" was outstanding, probably my favorite James Caan performance. The Tangerine Dream soundtrack was also quite good, like you said, Mann at his best. smile.gif
post #30 of 367 Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Agree on your statement after seeing the 2nd episode. I wasn't sold after the 1st episode, but the 2nd was much better IMO.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page