2013 PGA Tour Season in HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 86 Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Tiger's got two problems right now that could keep him from passing Jack - his driver is unpredictable and he can't putt like he used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 07-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Phil, you are unreal. Great win.
post #63 of 86 Old 07-21-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
tiger needs to play like phil

be loose, let it hang, rip it.

tiger's so uptight he probably can't poop for a week after a major

neflixis our nemesis
post #64 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

It's obvious now that he's not the same guy he was before he blew up his personal life. Karma is a bitch.

Great round from Phil, especially those two 3-woods on 17. Second shot there will go down as one of the greatest shots ever. This finish will echo through the golf world for a long time.
post #65 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
awesome win for phil! this was my favorite british open ever.
post #66 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Funny thing about Phil - he's generally beloved for his very real affection for his fans and his love & loyalty to his family and caddie. But he's the biggest whiner out there; nobody complains more about course conditions (or taxes). Which is really kind of beneath him. Everybody in the field has to play the same track and the pros play courses manicured to a degree most of us commoners will never experience.

But yeah - it was a great performance. Shooting a final round 66 on that racetrack was phenomenal. I feel bad for Lee Westwood, one of the real gentlemen in the game. So close, yet so far....
post #67 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Phil is an EXTREMELY skilled and talented golfer.

If he wasn't so stupid he could have several more majors and many more tournament wins by now.

He made some comment over the weekend about how he was just NOW figuring out that angles are incredibly important in links golf....

Duh.
post #68 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Phil isn’t stupid. He just gets in his own way. He will attempt a shot he shouldn’t be taking because he believes he can make it, whereas if he would take the more conservative shot he wouldn’t blow it like he did at the U.S. Open a few years ago. Phil made those shots down the stretch yesterday, but had he missed one of those into the tall grass the outcome could have been different. And his putter was working. I’ve never seen a player miss as many short putts as Phil. He had a 6” putt, or less, Saturday that rimmed out. Phil will make the 40-foot putt, but give him one that is 6’ or less and you just never know. He brings tension to the game when he has those short ones for birdies. He’s left a lot of birdies on the course during his career, and its cost him some wins.
post #69 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Phil isn’t stupid.

I respectfully completely disagree.
post #70 of 86 Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Wasn't this espns first major coverage?

Or at least one of their first

Seems they have a lot of catching up to do. Bad cameras shots, balls lost to cameras as they rolled down fairways into brush, pothole bunkers, or just brownish grass on the rather steadyfairway,. but we the viewer couldn't tell as the cameras were too damn far away to show us, that's a problem we don't usually suffer from the old pros on the CBS and NBC tournaments.

Also the pacing between jumping around to cover all the action seemed mistimed, as not eenough time shown for some rather important shots, but much more air timr for. Less important ones

Finally the announcers really talked
And acted as well less knowledgeable blokes than those smooth, cool and lugubrious chaps fromt the big American golf teams

CBS and NBC have these types of tournaments down to perfection without the splitter/ spatter of the espn presentation.

neflixis our nemesis
post #71 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Wasn't this espns first major coverage?

Or at least one of their first

No. ESPN/ABC has had the British Open for several years now, in fact, I was surprised that ABC didn't get the weekend coverage.
post #72 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

No. ESPN/ABC has had the British Open for several years now, in fact, I was surprised that ABC didn't get the weekend coverage.

They did. Just had it tape-delayed and "edited for time" in the typical afternoon slot. ESPN carried the full coverage live earlier that morning.
post #73 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Have to agree that their ball flight coverage was awful, way too many high overhead shots where they couldn't follow the ball as it landed. I think that unfortunately a lot of this is out of ESPN's control because they can't place the cameras where they would want to (at least it seems that way, you don't see this on US course coverage).

As mentioned, CBS is the gold standard and is the perfect golf tournament channel except for one glaring problem - Gary McCord. The sooner he retires, the better. Feherty is genuinely funny, McCord just thinks he is and way too much in love with the sound of his own voice. The man just can't shut up.
post #74 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The majority of the camera shots were provided by the BBC, the host broadcaster. The other broadcasters around the world only get a limited number of cameras for their own use. It works the same way for sporting events held in the US that are broadcast around the world.
post #75 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

They did. Just had it tape-delayed and "edited for time" in the typical afternoon slot. ESPN carried the full coverage live earlier that morning.

That would explain why I didn't notice the ABC coverage.
post #76 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
and it's harder to pick up the flight of the ball when the course has the beige look to it. the british open courses are rarely if ever watered and they've had a dry summer in scotland this year. american courses are well watered thus nice and green making it much easier to pick up the ball flight.
post #77 of 86 Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If Lefty isn't very golf smart, the forty-time PGA, five-time major winner must be the most physically talented golfer in history to overcome that huge deficiency in what is the deciding factor at the highest level.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #78 of 86 Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah we all know he's made some questionable golf decisions because of the go for broke way he's played, but his resume is not compatible with stupid.
post #79 of 86 Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

If Lefty isn't very golf smart, the forty-time PGA, five-time major winner must be the most physically talented golfer in history to overcome that huge deficiency in what is the deciding factor at the highest level.

Maybe not THE most physically talented golfer in golf history, but definitely very high in the list.
post #80 of 86 Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post

Maybe not THE most physically talented golfer in golf history, but definitely very high in the list.

The anecdote below always impressed me perhaps moreso because it occurred at one of my old clubs with which I am intimately familiar.

When still an amateur, Michelson was playing a major tournament in the rotation. The story goes that he was paired against his arch rival from the University of Arizona (Phil attended Arizona State). The pair came to #18 at the TPC Woodlands (in Houston) and after teeing off Phil called for a ruling that his ball was imbedded. His opponent overruled the call with Lefty having to play from the bad lie. He promptly holed out for an eagle with a six iron, which later commentators on future PGA tournaments described as the only time that hole was ever eagled.

The commentators were wrong, as I eagled it with a drive and a one iron in a practice round, which no one could know, but several differences made what Michelson did even more impressive to me —
A. Even though I was known as a pretty long hitter, Michelson teed from the tips, I would assume, and I did not;
B. He hit six iron after no roll;
C. He had a terrible lie.

I do not remember if the hole he won had any effect on a last gasp win or not. If it did, add pressure shot to the list.

post #81 of 86 Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
For pure excitement and fun to watch ,who on tour is going to replace Phil when he retires? None of these young golfers on tour can match his shot making .
post #82 of 86 Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Today begins the RBC Canadian Open

3-6pm on Golf Channel HD

Xbox Live: gt1racerlHDl
post #83 of 86 Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

For pure excitement and fun to watch ,who on tour is going to replace Phil when he retires? None of these young golfers on tour can match his shot making .

Bubba Watson has that same kind of "feel" for creative shotmaking but Bubba ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, to be kind.

Nice story about Phil I'll share... a couple of years ago I was following him at the Quail Hollow tourney here in Charlotte and a thunderstorm came up. They blew the horn to evacuate the golf course, as per PGA rules. While the fans, of course, had to fend for themselves, the officials sent golf carts out to ferry the players to shelter. There was a partially disabled kid with our group of fans who had a difficult time walking. Phil noticed him, and gave up his seat on the cart so the kid could be driven back to the clubhouse. Pretty cool, and quintessential Milckelson.
post #84 of 86 Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

When Michelson was first coming up, I thought he was putting on an act with his outgoing ways. Turns out it was entirely genuine and he is just a generous guy in many ways. Tiger, the other guy you love to watch, is the diametric opposite...a jerk to his core.

post #85 of 86 Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

When Michelson was first coming up, I thought he was putting on an act with his outgoing ways. Turns out it was entirely genuine and he is just a generous guy in many ways. Tiger, the other guy you love to watch, is the diametric opposite...a jerk to his core.

I think that's a product of how they were raised. Phil had a reasonably normal childhood and family life, and Tiger was raised to be a golfing robot literally from the time he could walk.
post #86 of 86 Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I know you guys remember this shot. Classic Phil.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! GREAT SHOT!! biggrin.gif In typical Phil fashion, he missed the short putt for eagle.

The story behind it.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page