Opening up locals on DirecTV during emergencies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably isn't the best forum for this, but since most of you are familiar names to me, I'd think someone would have an answer.

During hurricanes, blizzards, etc. DirecTV usually opens up a channel where they cycle through that local market's stations a couple hours at a time.

After the bombings Monday and the all-day lockdown of Boston yesterday, that would have been a great time to do this again.

I streamed WBZ-TV most of the day yesterday and their coverage was great. It beat most network coverage I saw.

I wish DirecTV had some sort of plicy they'd stick with so in the future, they'd put locals up more often when events warrant.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I couldn't agree more...I have many friends who live in the Boston, Waterford area. I was streaming pretty much the entire day yesterday, until FNC was basically simulcasting WFXT.

Local stations were dominant in their coverage, compared to the cable news outlets.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Local stations were dominant in their coverage, compared to the cable news outlets.

In those situations, locals will ALWAYS be dominant over the cable news outlets AND even the networks. The locals have the talent and equipment in place and ready to go in an instant. This is also true for events that happen overseas (like a terrorist incident or a plane crash). For example, if anyone ever happens in Britain news outlets will go to the BBC or Sky News). For something that can be planned for (like a hurricane or other significant events), the national outlets can arrange to have their equipment in place and STILL rely on the locals to supplement the coverage.

As far as the idea goes, I am all for it, but it will probably not happen anytime soon. DIRECTV will only do this if the impact area is a little more widespread. In addition, they do this when they have time to make the arrangements concerning satellite time and additional agreements with the station.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Explain the part about satellite time.
DirecTV is already getting feeds of those stations 24/7 for the Boston DMA. Why would extra satellite time be needed?

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I don't know about satellite time, per se, but D* would have to port the feed to a conus transponder. Most locals are on spotbeams. D* would have to repeat the feed on an existing channel or send out a quick guide update to add a channel. Unlike the sports networks, they can't just remap the Boston locals to the 700s as the whole country isn't capable of receiving them.

Unlike a hurricane, this was unpredictable. Nobody knew in advance which locals were going to go wall-to-wall and when they were going to do it. Also, there wasn't the issue of people in the affected area dealing with stations kicked off the air or people all over the country unsure what was happening to family members, etc.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page