Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Another series like House of Cards that is completely up on Netflix.

New York Times called it a hybrid of Twin Peaks and a CW teenage gothic which I think completely nails it. I am 6 shows in and it isn't perfect (much like House of Cards) but I am definitely sucked in.

Here are some articles. Some may have spoilers:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/74933/wolfing-down-eli-roths-hemlock-grove-in-a-single-weekend

http://insidetv.ew.com/tag/hemlock-grove/

http//www.theverge.com/2013/4/19/4242486/netflix-hemlock-grove-television-series-arrives-today

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/news?name=now-entering-hemlock-grove-episodes-14-review

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
You liking it is good enough for me to give it a look. Our tastes usually agree.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #3 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

You liking it is good enough for me to give it a look. Our tastes usually agree.

Just remember it isn't great art or anything. More of a guilty pleasure. Lots of weirdness.

post #4 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 179
What I feel is the worst about this show, I've watched the entire season, is the dialogue. I hope they get someone new to write dialogue for this show if they continue.

The dialogue feels awkward and unnatural 90% of the time. They use stupid phrases, that no one has used for 20 years, and they chuckle at each other when someone says something that isn't funny. Kind of like when a person sings something in a language they can't understand. They are speaking these lines of dialogue without knowing what they are saying. The main kid I can tell is fighting back an accent. Famke, puts on a cheesy fake accent, I don't know why they needed to add the accent to her character. I don't know if she has an accent normally, because I've seen her in a few movies with perfect American accent.

If I would compare this to other shows, I would say it's a cross between Lost and True Blood. I've never seen Twin Peaks, so I can't say. There's a mystery killer in the show, so if Twin Peaks is about Mystery, sure.

Each show moves at a sloth pace, too.

Just read that Grantland piece, I see he points out the dialogue too.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #5 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

What I feel is the worst about this show, I've watched the entire season, is the dialogue. I hope they get someone new to write dialogue for this show if they continue.

The dialogue feels awkward and unnatural 90% of the time. They use stupid phrases, that no one has used for 20 years, and they chuckle at each other when someone says something that isn't funny. Kind of like when a person sings something in a language they can't understand. They are speaking these lines of dialogue without knowing what they are saying. The main kid I can tell is fighting back an accent. Famke, puts on a cheesy fake accent, I don't know why they needed to add the accent to her character. I don't know if she has an accent normally, because I've seen her in a few movies with perfect American accent.

If I would compare this to other shows, I would say it's a cross between Lost and True Blood. I've never seen Twin Peaks, so I can't say. There's a mystery killer in the show, so if Twin Peaks is about Mystery, sure.

Each show moves at a sloth pace, too.

Just read that Grantland piece, I see he points out the dialogue too.

All of these things scream Twin Peaks. Slow pace? Check. Weird characters and accents? Check. Bizarre dialogue? Check. Mystery killer? Check. Background characters with secrets? Check. Supernatural happenings? Check. Weird dreams? Check. Bingo.

post #6 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I loved they released the entire season at once. Finished it. Hope there is a season 2 and they polish it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 34 Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I've been enjoying it too. Does have that "Twin Peaks" feeling. These Netflix series show what one can do if not constrained by broadcast network execs.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forgot to mention that it has two Battlestar Galactica alums in prominent roles.
ltownsend likes this.

post #9 of 34 Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It's in my queue, just haven't had a chance to start it yet. Maybe this weekend.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #10 of 34 Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

All of these things scream Twin Peaks. Slow pace? Check. Weird characters and accents? Check. Bizarre dialogue? Check. Mystery killer? Check. Background characters with secrets? Check. Supernatural happenings? Check. Weird dreams? Check. Bingo.
Is there pie involved? wink.gif

post #11 of 34 Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Some episodes explore more the mystery than anything supernatural. Instead of "who killed Laura Palmer" it is "what killed Lisa Willoughby".
post #12 of 34 Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Is there pie involved? wink.gif

and a damn good cup of coffee?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #13 of 34 Old 04-27-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched episode 11 last night and just had to finish the series watching episodes 12 and 13. That's is really GREAT television! Bravo!
post #14 of 34 Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I watched episode 11 last night and just had to finish the series watching episodes 12 and 13. That's is really GREAT television! Bravo!

I had the same problem. The last 4 or 5 episodes, I had to watch one after the other, my life outside of tv be damned.

post #15 of 34 Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I had the same problem. The last 4 or 5 episodes, I had to watch one after the other, my life outside of tv be damned.
Light weights, I burned a weekend on it. So nice to have an entire series out not just one a week.

post #16 of 34 Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I finished Hemlock Grove last night and really enjoyed the series, or should I say season. I hope there is a season two. It is nice the have all the episodes available at once, but like House of Cards, it is really hard to discuss in any detail on forums like this because people watching are at different points of the show. Would it be worthwhile to have a "finished season" thread on these types of shows to discuss plot points and story lines without fear of spoilers?
post #17 of 34 Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

I finished Hemlock Grove last night and really enjoyed the series, or should I say season. I hope there is a season two. It is nice the have all the episodes available at once, but like House of Cards, it is really hard to discuss in any detail on forums like this because people watching are at different points of the show. Would it be worthwhile to have a "finished season" thread on these types of shows to discuss plot points and story lines without fear of spoilers?
We've had spoiler threads for shows before. It's probably a good idea for situations like these, where not everyone watching is going to be caught up.

It might not be a bad way to approach shows from Netflix (and possibly Amazon if they go that route) that are pushed out in one lump. That way, people can comment generally on whether they like or dislike the show and characters while plot discussion takes place in another thread so those who might not have time to binge on a show can comment on their overall impressions while avoiding spoilers.

post #18 of 34 Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I would like for them to try one series out by releasing an episode or two or three per week. Maybe 3 per weekend or something, I would be interested to see how that would work. Of course you could watch any episode or episodes after they had been released.
post #19 of 34 Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 746
I put this in our Horror thread and then found this thread:

One episode of Hemlock Grove to go and I can say I really enjoyed it. Enough gaps in story to keep me guessing and the gore was placed expertly and effectively and never out of place. I enjoyed the dialogue in its obtuseness and found many exchanges ranging from funny to very witty. The lead guys have a good chemistry and it's been fun to watch them step out of the roles society has placed on them. The music is also quite good and keeps the ever present dread right up front. All in all I'm really digging it and and am hopeful for season two.

It was a crying shame what Twilight did to old romantic style offerings and this is a step in the right direction even with the flaws it has. I thought it took nearly 4 episodes to really get going but once the Hardy Boys solidified it picked up nicely. It lends itself nicely to second screening as well. Several terms came up that required some googling and the insight gained filled in some gaps in things I had seen or things they said. Quite enjoyable.

Steam: Guts
post #20 of 34 Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Might give this one a try this summer. Does HG wrap up the storyline in season 1 or is the main story arc designed to be continued in a season 2?
post #21 of 34 Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Might give this one a try this summer. Does HG wrap up the storyline in season 1 or is the main story arc designed to be continued in a season 2?
Wraps it up.

post #22 of 34 Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The story line of the first season was wrapped up but left something to build a second season on.
post #23 of 34 Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
The second season will premiere on July 11, 2014

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #24 of 34 Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The second season will premiere on July 11, 2014
Thanks been wondering about that.

post #25 of 34 Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did anyone watch the second season? Its like a soap opera on steroids. I enjoyed it though the ending wasn't as compelling as the first season. Very much a trashy guilty pleasure.
ltownsend likes this.

post #26 of 34 Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Did anyone watch the second season? Its like a soap opera on steroids. I enjoyed it though the ending wasn't as compelling as the first season. Very much a trashy guilty pleasure.
I'm trying to get thru some DVR stacked shows before I run out of space .. fully intend to binge Hemlock ASAP ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #27 of 34 Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked the second season. They made the characters more quirky, sorta Elmore Leonard style. The town doctor character was really something else.
post #28 of 34 Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I plan to get into this soon as well. It can't be any worse than what the broadcast/cable networks are churning out this summer, though there were times watching Hemlock Grove last season when I kept expecting the Log Lady or a midget in a red suit to make an appearance.
post #29 of 34 Old 07-18-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I liked the second season. They made the characters more quirky, sorta Elmore Leonard style. The town doctor character was really something else.
I liked the second season too. Much more consistent. I hate to admit this but I really am emotionally attached to the Shelley character. I even got a bit misty (I don't cry and haven't since I was a baby) on her story. The doctor reminded me of the Mayor in Buffy tVS.

post #30 of 34 Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the Shelley thread was very interesting.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page