Are any of you a "Zero TV" Person? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Last Week I found out I am a "Zero TV" Person. A "Zero TV" Person is someone who does not watch any TV, either broadcast or Pay-TV (That's Cable/Satellite/Telco for those of you in Rio Linda)biggrin.gif 10 % of these people don't have a TV, and most likely never will. The other 90% (Which I'm in) Have a TV Set, but to not use it to tune in to any show, but instead use it to play games and/or watch something on home video. My question is, are any of you "Zero TV" persons? cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
No. We watch OTA only, BD/DVD movies, or stream the rest. Very little game play.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I suspect that there are very few "Zero TV" people, maybe only one, that choose to post in a forum that is dedicated to discussing high definition television programming. Since, by definition, they have not seen or have any interest in the programs being discussed.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp View Post

I suspect that there are very few "Zero TV" people, maybe only one, that choose to post in a forum that is dedicated to discussing high definition television programming. Since, by definition, they have not seen or have any interest in the programs being discussed.

Hey, I do watch HD Programming, but not via "Appointment TV". If I have posted in the wrong forum feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When I was young and into music, I owned a TV but rarely watched it. When I got into TV broadcasting I didn't own a TV at all, but due to the nature of my job I sort of had to get one. Now I watch a lot of TV programming.

The way I see it, television is neither good nor bad. It's all about the content. I wouldn't be particularly proud of being "Zero TV" if that meant being ignorant of news and current events. At least I have something to show for my eyestrain other than the ability to to blow up computer generated images.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntocoast View Post

Hey, I do watch HD Programming, but not via "Appointment TV". If I have posted in the wrong forum feel free to move it to the appropriate forum.
I agree with earletp. Based on your TV "usage," it seems rather inane to participate in a forum dedicated to current TV programs. You can't relate to us and we certainly can't relate to you, so why are you here? confused.gif

There must be another forum that would serve your interests better, but I don't hang out in those forums so I (we?) wonder why you're hanging out in this one. I've seen your posts in other threads in the HD Programming section and have ofter wondered, "WTF?"

It seems to me that you are vastly underutilizing your TV (hopefully not TVs... plural). smile.gif

P.S. Before I hit "submit," I saw Speed Daemon's post. He hit the nail squarely on the head in his second paragraph.
slowbiscuit and Speed Daemon like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I was responding based on your stated definition "Zero TV" = playing games, watching home videos, to not use it to tune in to any show, or don't even own a TV.

After some research, if you had used the Nielson definition, the ones credited with coining the term, "Zero TV households" are those that get their programming from non-traditional sources such as the internet and cell phone connections, it would be a different discussion.
Much more like the cord cutting discussions already ongoing, I suspect.
Speed Daemon likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
If you still watch programming that is a production of network or cable then you still watch television. Not utilizing a tuner does not mean you watch "zero television". The only thing that's different is the viewing source.

It's like saying "I don't watch movies" just because you don't go the cinema but still watch major release movies at home.
Speed Daemon likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here is a good website about TV Free homes. I was mostly TV free before MeTV came to our area as a free OTA channel. I also watch football on the weekends. But the commercials and the amounts of them today are horrible.
Quote:
Nielsen adapts to track 'TV-free' homes
Ratings firm says number of 'cord-cutters' has doubled to 5 million since 2007

Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. Last month, the Nielsen Co. started labelling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/04/08/business-nielsen-ratings.html

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #10 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

You are most definitely in the wrong forum with this thread, and have been told so elsewhere for posting that you only watch DVDs.

So do you have a BD player or not, and do you watch BDs? If not then you're not watching HD Programming. If you do, this forum is where you belong.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

If you still watch programming that is a production of network or cable then you still watch television. Not utilizing a tuner does not mean you watch "zero television". The only thing that's different is the viewing source.

It's like saying "I don't watch movies" just because you don't go the cinema but still watch major release movies at home.
But he's still posting in the wrong forum because this is dedicated to current shows/programming, not stuff that comes out on video/DVD/Blu-ray months or years later.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
^^^^^

This forum is for the discussion of HDTV programming. Broadcast, DSS and cablecast. There are other sections for disc and streaming. This area is for those who DO view HD programming via Broadcast, cable or DSS to discuss that programming.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page