Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72

About the show:
Having recently lost his job and his girlfriend, 30-year-old Tom Chadwick has a rather unsure sense of his own identity. But when he inherits a mysterious box of belongings from a great aunt he never met, Tom starts investigating his lineage and uncovers a whole world of unusual stories and characters, acquiring a growing sense of who he and his real family are.

Written and created by Christopher Guest and Jim Piddock, the new comedy series FAMILY TREE is a single-camera, documentary-style show in the manner of Guest's acclaimed feature films (such as 'Best in Show,' 'Waiting for Guffman' and 'A Mighty Wind'). Chris O'Dowd ('Bridesmaids') stars as Tom Chadwick in the HBO presentation, along with Tom Bennett and Nina Conti. The series also features appearances by Carrie Aizley, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley, Jr., Maria Blasucci, Matt Griesser, Christopher Guest, Don Lake, Michael McKean, Lisa Palfrey, Jim Piddock, Kevin Pollak, Amy Seimetz, Meera Syal, Ashley Walters and Fred Willard.

For more information about 'Family Tree' please see the below websites.

Official via HBO.com
http://www.hbo.com/#/family-tree

IMDB.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2340036/

Here is a trailer

You can watch 'Family Tree' on HBO on Sundays starting Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM CST.

I'm looking forward to it. Has a lot of cool guest appearances and I like the lead, Chris O'Dowd.

See you guys there! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've been watching O'Dowd in an britcom called The IT Crowd on Netflix--very funny guy. I also very much enjoy Guest's movies so I'm really looking forward to this show.

Steve S.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I've been seeing trailers for this on and off for months and keep forgetting when it's starting.

Does seem to have a good roster of comedy stalwarts making appearances and also the very funny UK ventriloquist Nina Conti (daughter of actor Tom Conti). Her comedy routine is good but I never knew she did any acting.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This weekend!
post #5 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bizarre show, not sure about it. The lady with the monkey was a bit odd. The picture historian was great.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah that was an odd one. Definitely more BBC2 than HBO in tone. I didn't like the mockumentary interviews. I'm tired of that trope now.

Slow to start but there were a couple of funny moments at the end. I enjoyed the dinosaur/Loch Ness conversation and the last scene with "Shut the f ... ront door" and "He's a Chinese Man." "Yes, hence the name Harry Chadwick." was surreally funny. biggrin.gif

Nina Conti though; She just seems to be performing her comedy routine in a sketch show of her own.

post #7 of 24 Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yeah that was an odd one. Definitely more BBC2 than HBO in tone. I didn't like the mockumentary interviews. I'm tired of that trope now.

Slow to start but there were a couple of funny moments at the end. I enjoyed the dinosaur/Loch Ness conversation and the last scene with "Shut the f ... ront door" and "He's a Chinese Man." "Yes, hence the name Harry Chadwick." was surreally funny. biggrin.gif

Nina Conti though; She just seems to be performing her comedy routine in a sketch show of her own.

Definitely agree with you on that.

Interesting to see Nina Conti doing the same ole stuff. Would think she'd do something else since it's a new show.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The entire cast were great.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There are a couple of funny lines per episode ("Now you've got another reason to hate the French!") and I think the improvised dating scenes are funny, but overall I think this would have worked better as a movie. It's fairly slow and Nina Conti is just a superfluous interruption. Even though I enjoy her standup act I just think she gets in the way here.

post #10 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
After the last episode, I deleted it from my DVR.
Just too slooooooooow for me.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #11 of 24 Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

After the last episode, I deleted it from my DVR.
Just too slooooooooow for me.
Same here, watched the first two, deleted the third without watching it along with the season pass.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed the first two episodes, but I admit the 3rd one was disappointing. I don't care about how slow it is - I find that refreshing. Usually, Guest comedies are fresh, but in the 3rd episode they fell back on the usual tropes - clueless white guy tries to act and talk Jamaican, Conti just spewing filth. I'm still hopeful that future episodes are better. After all, every show has mediocre episodes amongst the good ones.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree with most of the posters. I am not enjoying it and I am no longer watching it. Er
post #14 of 24 Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm finding it ironically hilarious. Loved the whole lamb-castration premise and execution.

I particularly like Bea and Monkey.

My kind of humor.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It's not Short Attention Span Theater. That's why I like it.

Steve S.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

This week's episode was very good. I enjoyed the Star Trek spoof. Luba had some funny bits, too.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I'm finding it ironically hilarious. Loved the whole lamb-castration premise and execution.

I particularly like Bea and Monkey.

My kind of humor.

I like the Bea and Monkey bits too. You gotta be a Christopher Guest fan ("This is Spinal Tap") to enjoy this show. I see that Fred Willard ("Best in Show") will appear in the next episode.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

This week's episode was very good. I enjoyed the Star Trek spoof. Luba had some funny bits, too.

I should have written: "I enjoyed the Star Trek/Sherlock Holmes mashup. The way Holmes and Trek are constantly being reimagined, it's not too far-fetched to believe that someone might actually attempt this."
post #19 of 24 Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I like the Bea and Monkey bits too. You gotta be a Christopher Guest fan ("This is Spinal Tap") to enjoy this show. I see that Fred Willard ("Best in Show") will appear in the next episode.

Did you notice she was driving w/ the monkey still on her hand? How does that work when you turn the wheel? Does Monkey assist?wink.gif
post #20 of 24 Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The season finale was last night? How did it go?
post #21 of 24 Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The show improved immensely for me when it moved to the US. My biggest problem with this show is down to Tom's sidekicks. Pete, the poor man's David Brent, and frankly distracting Nina Conti. The first show in the US with the mythical racism was all the better for those two being limited in appearances and this week when Bea lost Monk her character ceased to be funny at all. Her breakdown came off as quite disturbing. What previously was a comedy quirk instantly became someone with severe mental health problems and it wasn't something to laugh at.

If the show had been just Chris O'Dowd travelling around without his sidekicks I think this show would have had a better reception. He has a lot of charisma and is a well liked actor, so just him in a fish out of water situation without the superfluous excuses to fit in Bea and Pete, would have probably got to the funnier relatives faster and been far more entertaining.

post #22 of 24 Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

...and this week when Bea lost Monk her character ceased to be funny at all. Her breakdown came off as quite disturbing. What previously was a comedy quirk instantly became someone with severe mental health problems and it wasn't something to laugh at.
But you have to admit, the "3-person" sexual innuendo interaction between Bea/Monk and Christopher Guest's character was quite funny, with Monk externally verbalizing what Bea was thinking (like a balloon cloud in a comic strip).

It got even funnier when it moved off of the sexual suggestions and Guest answered her question about "are you married?" with a story about yes but his wife had been missing for several years, and Monk asked "did you kill her?".
post #23 of 24 Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Even that I didn't think was funny after Bea's breakdown. It changed her character for me to someone I couldn't laugh at.

post #24 of 24 Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HBO's 'Family Tree,' 'Hello Ladies' Canceled; 'Getting On' Eyes Second Season

12:00 PM PST 1/23/2014 by Lesley Goldberg / hollywoodreporter.com

HBO's Family Tree and Hello Ladies will not return for second seasons, while talks are underway for a potential second season of Getting On. HBO has decided to not move forward with second runs of the comedy series from Christopher Guest and Stephen Merchant, respectively, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Hello Ladies, however, will wrap up with a comedy special.

Family Tree centered on 30-year-old Tom Chadwick (Bridesmaids' Chris O'Dowd) who, after losing his job and his girlfriend, begins exploring his family heritage after inheriting a mysterious box from a great aunt he never met. Unsure of his identity, he uncovers a world of unusual stories and characters -- as well as a growing sense of who he and his real family are. Guest staples Fred Willard, Michael McKean and Ed Begley Jr. co-stared.

Guest and longtime partner Jim Piddock created the project and executive produced. Both also appeared in Family Tree. The eight-episode single-camera comedy aired simultaneously on the BBC 2 in the U.K. Produced by NBC Universal International TV's Lucky Giant Productions' Guest, Piddock and Karen Murphy.

The series launched in May to 541,000 viewers, leveling off in its eight-episode run. It ended its run in July -- on par with HBO's Girls.

Hello Ladies, co-written with former Office writer-producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, will get a comedy special to follow the exploits of Stuart Pritchard and his group of friends, based on Merchant's stand-up material.

HBO co-produced the series co-starring Christine Woods with ABC Studios, where Eisenberg and Stupnitsky (who also produce ABC's freshman comedy Trophy Wife) are based.

Hello Ladies opened in September to 463,000 total viewers before slipping in subsequent weeks. The eight-episode freshman season wrapped its run on Nov. 17.

Meanwhile, talks are underway for a potential second season of dark comedy Getting On, starring Alex Borstein.

For HBO, the news comes as the premium outlet is set to launch at least two new comedies this year -- Mike Judge's Silicon Valley, which is due in the spring, and Jonathan Groff comedy Looking, which bowed to a lackluster 338,000 viewers on Sunday. HBO also recently handed out a series order to Togetherness, a comedy from the Duplass brothers, and renewed Looking lead-in Girls for a fourth season.

On the development side, HBO is prepping comedies Ballers, starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and The Brink, toplined by Jack Black and Tim Robbins.

While ratings are important for HBO in making renewal decisions, the premium outlet also considers shelf space, awards season recognition, critical reviews, social media buzz as well as if the series makes financial sense for the network. While none of the three shows have broad appeal, HBO's brand is to mix both tentpole (i.e. Game of Thrones) and more narrow-focused fare like Getting On and Looking.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbos-family-tree-hello-ladies-593267
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page