post #91 of 234 Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

What... The... Heck... Cut at the top of the show? That is ridiculous and makes no sense. What is Nigel thinking?

That was my initial thought as well. But then I remembered last season, where the judges pretty much had decided who was going home before the episode started and you could read it through their critiques. So there is something to me said for getting it out of the way. It must be tough on the dancers, but it didn't show in their performances.

It was interesting that the one couple that got a terrible review wasn't in the bottom - the anti-Nigel backlash lives on, I guess. I enjoyed this week overall but didn't think anything stood out tremendously above or below the rest so the results will be interesting. My favorite was probably the Paul & Makenzie piece (which looked more hip-hop than the first Nappy-Tabs hip-hop piece), but I liked the Amy & Fik-shun routine as well. Amy's my favorite of the girls, not sure among the guys but it's probably one of those two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

What... The... Heck... Cut at the top of the show? That is ridiculous and makes no sense. What is Nigel thinking?

It actually makes sense. Now they can focus on their dancing and not worry about if they are being eliminated, etc. Plus, since one partner of a group can get cut and not the other, it lets them be more focused.

post #93 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't agree with their cuts, I think they girl they saved is WAY worse then the one they cut, the male too. Especially their dance for their lives.

post #94 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Not to me. It makes the show more awkward after that. They worked all week for nothing. Last year, even if I concede the judges have made up their minds before seeing the evening's routines, at least there was still some reason for dancing. Now they've interjected a pointless solo dance, if that's the logic. Let's say that maybe the performances could have bearing on who they cut. This new way, there's no reason for them to dance now. None. Okay sure they'll be professional and all and still do their best blah blah blah. I don't like it.
post #95 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Not to me. It makes the show more awkward after that. They worked all week for nothing. Last year, even if I concede the judges have made up their minds before seeing the evening's routines, at least there was still some reason for dancing. Now they've interjected a pointless solo dance, if that's the logic. Let's say that maybe the performances could have bearing on who they cut. This new way, there's no reason for them to dance now. None. Okay sure they'll be professional and all and still do their best blah blah blah. I don't like it.

NIgel made a point to say that he talked with the Choreographers. He may even have watched the rehearsal dances and made a decision right before they went live. As are result yes the solos may have been pointless and another opportunity for the dancers to showcase but the decision was not based solely on last weeks it was based upon information that was right up to the moment of the start of the show.

Nigel makes a decision based upon TV and the choreographers make the decision based upon skill and together they made the choice. The thing is once everybody starts doing the nightly numbers the pressure is off. They can just enjoy it and not worry about getting booted in the next 90 minutes.
post #96 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

That was the sentiment in my household also, makes no sense.
Overall this week just an OK show, no real standouts. Sure wish they still had 2 shows/week with one being the elimination but I guess that ship has sailed frown.gif
post #97 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nigel has also said before that he has changed his mind based on their last dance for their lives.

post #98 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Cuts at the top of the show are stupid. Last season all of the bottom four got to be judged by their past two professionally choreographed and produced performances; they only very rarely asked any of them to dance for their lives. I suppose that this format change jives with the old performance+results show format, wherein eliminations were based on "America's" votes, a dance-for-you-life and choreographer input, ostensibly giving "America's" input a bit more weight. The eliminations were the exact opposite of what I expected, with the two "untrained street style" dancers surviving while the trained contemporary guy and latin ballroom girl got ousted.

I didn't think this week's choreography was nearly as good as the first weeks. Having only watched it once I can't really remember any of it. I found it a little strange that Nigel criticized Dmitri's Cha-Cha choreography without mentioning Dmitri's name. He's never been shy about calling out a choreographer for bad work in the past.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #99 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

The thing is once everybody starts doing the nightly numbers the pressure is off. They can just enjoy it and not worry about getting booted in the next 90 minutes.

I think that extra pressure is a good thing. They should dance as though their survival even tonight might depend on it. I commend Carlos and Brittany on turning in good performances while experiencing crushing disappointment.

post #100 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
There is no good option when the show is just once a week. Perhaps they should tape the elimination portion the day after the live show and then just show the results the next week and then if couples need to be reshuffled, they can do that with enough time so that they can learn the new routines with their new partners. There won't be the suspense of dragging out the elimination, but then they can dedicate more time to the performances.
post #101 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought that the way that they handled it last season was just fine. I can't imagine what made them choose to change it.

post #102 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
As far as I can see, Dialidol.com is not covering the show this season, so no way to get an early indication on who's in danger.
post #103 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

There is no good option when the show is just once a week. Perhaps they should tape the elimination portion the day after the live show and then just show the results the next week and then if couples need to be reshuffled, they can do that with enough time so that they can learn the new routines with their new partners. There won't be the suspense of dragging out the elimination, but then they can dedicate more time to the performances.
I wonder if the showrunners and producers for Dancing With The Stars are tracking this (for the way the eliminations are handled). As many of you know, ABC has done away with the results show for DWTS as well, so what's done here might be how it will done there, starting this September.
post #104 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The cuts at the beginning are pretty rough. Maybe not this early but as the now top 18 shrinks down how a dancer pushes on after being cut may be something that choreographers and producers watch carefully. If the dancer is able to nail his/her routine it could be a mark of true professionalism and that may be important to that person's future in the business.
Nigel , without naming Dmitry, took some real shots at him last night for his choreography. It as interesting that he said that the routine needed to be more Dancing with the Stars like. It was hardly a kindly comment.
post #105 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Nigel , without naming Dmitry, took some real shots at him last night for his choreography. It as interesting that he said that the routine needed to be more Dancing with the Stars like. It was hardly a kindly comment.

Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post. I have to agree with Nigel; I don't think that that routine would have flown in a ballroom competition. It was sort of Latin Ballroom/Jazz fusion, with a hint of Cha Cha thrown in here and there. Was there even 20 seconds in hold throughout? It was almost as if they weren't dancing together.

post #106 of 234 Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I was not a fan of the eliminations at the top of the show which seems to be the general consensus. If they are going to do something like that then tape it early last week. My guess is they do not want to end the show on a down note, but I do not think this is the answer. As far as the dancing goes I thought Fik-shun/Amy were fun. I really liked the lift at the end of the Tango.
post #107 of 234 Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I like the idea of taping the results the following day but not revealing until the next week. A bit of logistics to consider is do they bring in a studio audience just for that? Or change it to be more of "the last mile" format like when the top 20 were chosen. I would have to think the latter if they don't want the results to leak as easily. Start the next week's show live and right at the top Cat says here's how the results went down, then cut back to live and continue on with the show with the couples already re-shuffled and ready to go. We should be producers. biggrin.gif
post #108 of 234 Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Consider that any system which tapes the cuts the day after the voting eliminates a performance from next weeks show. If they'd done that this week, instead of 10 performances we'd have gotten 9, one danced by Mariah & BluPrint as a new couple (a Krumper and an "Animator"--what wonderful work in the disciplined styles we can look forward to from them biggrin.gif).

post #109 of 234 Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Should be even more interesting this week as there will be a two week gap after this Tuesday's show, due to Fox covering the MLB All-Star game the following Tuesday.
post #110 of 234 Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Should be even more interesting this week as there will be a two week gap after this Tuesday's show, due to Fox covering the MLB All-Star game the following Tuesday.
Speaking of this week's show, the guest judge will be, wait for it.....

Erin Andrews.

Was she ever a dancer, besides her time on DWTS with Maksim Chmerikofskey (sp?)? Just another chance for Fox Sports to promote her.
post #111 of 234 Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:

Speaking of this week's show, the guest judge will be, wait for it.....

Erin Andrews.

Was she ever a dancer, besides her time on DWTS with Maksim Chmerikofskey (sp?)? Just another chance for Fox Sports to promote her.

Of course she was. While in college she was a member of the Florida Gators Dazzlers, the basketball dance team. biggrin.gif Her sister, Kendra Andrews in a professional dancer and actress....

Bobby 

post #112 of 234 Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I was not a fan of the eliminations at the top of the show which seems to be the general consensus. If they are going to do something like that then tape it early last week. My guess is they do not want to end the show on a down note, but I do not think this is the answer. As far as the dancing goes I thought Fik-shun/Amy were fun. I really liked the lift at the end of the Tango.
And so were a lot of other people, as they have moved the elimination back to the end of the program. (DWTS take note!!).

Eliminated last night were Jade (due to injury and required surgery) and Jasmine M.

Looks like I was wrong on Erin Andrews, she knew her stuff better than I thought.
post #113 of 234 Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:

Looks like I was wrong on Erin Andrews, she knew her stuff better than I thought.

She read the dress rehearsal notes rather well... you mean. smile.gif Now whether she wrote them or not who knows but she didn't stand out like a sore thumb. I enjoyed Sonya's dance as one of the judges commented it appeared as it wasn't choreographed. With so many contestants after a while it appears to be an endless number of routines one after another.

post #114 of 234 Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Malece may have lucked out this week. I am not sure Jade would have been able to perform with the grace and the power Marco displayed. She ends up in when one of the best dances of the night. As much guff Curtis got this week I thought he out "performed" his partner when it came to the performance aspect. I thought she came off as joyless in the dance even if she may have been technically correct. I think this is the first time I remembered Alexis was a tapper in about three weeks. She came out from one of the nameless brunette's in the crowd and stood out not only for her solo, but i thought her routine was memorable as well.

The Tucker/Jenna "hip hop" routine looked more like a modern interpretation of Bob Fosse and less like any hip hop I have seen. I do not think that is a good thing. If you are going to give a slap on the risk for the jazzy ball room number I think you should at least say the same for hip hop.
post #115 of 234 Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As Nigel stated, "Hip Hop" doesn't have a very strict definition. There are very rigid standards for all of the ballroom styles.

The untrained street-style dancers and the tappers are really picking stuff up quickly and turning in pretty credible performances, unlike a certain affable low talent individual who got the finale on pure likability last season.

post #116 of 234 Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I've got to watch the show a second time (as I extract the performances for clip-saving), but I think the last number with Mariah and BluPrint was perhaps the weakest of the night. At least I enjoyed it the least, and I think Mariah is definitely the weakest female dancer.

Finally got to see Jenna do something in other than a Latin Ballroom style and a costume other than a frilly skirt with heels. Outside of her own genre she was pretty credible, but not great. Not outstanding.

Everybody else really seems very very good. Surprisingly and uniformly capable and talented. And I enjoy them all.

You think Nigel and Mary are just a tad bit biased in their unstoppable promo/tout of Makenzie's "star qualities"??

Holding back on my pick for "favorite" of the night until I watch it all again.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if I never heard another word from Erin "motor mouth" Andrews ever again, who spoke as if she really had credentials and had been a judge on the show constantly and for years, with all the various sycophantic accolades she was heaping on the choreographers and dancers. She really bothered me.

Paula was surprisingly sensible, intelligible and grounded. And she obviously DOES have the credentials to provide constructive and valid critiques which I think she verbalized very well.
post #117 of 234 Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

As Nigel stated, "Hip Hop" doesn't have a very strict definition. There are very rigid standards for all of the ballroom styles.

The untrained street-style dancers and the tappers are really picking stuff up quickly and turning in pretty credible performances, unlike a certain affable low talent individual who got the finale on pure likability last season.

Hip Hop may not be as rigid, but I certainly know it when I see it, and that looked nothing like hip hop.
post #118 of 234 Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you guys think the choreographers pick the music after they think of their routine or does the song inspire the routine? The music just seems to always be a perfect fit for the dance and the choreography it made me think how they choose the music and even find some of these obscure songs.

post #119 of 234 Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not being a choreographer I can't be sure, but I should think that most often the music inspires the dance. Then again, the dance could be inspired by a situation or a mood that they're and they start listening for appropriate music. Probably a bit of both.

post #120 of 234 Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I kept thinking she was channeling Christina Applegate. I found it distracting.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page