So You Think You Can Dance, Season 10 on FoxHD - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 234 Old 09-06-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 784
When I think of "skated by" I think of people like Makenzie and Jenna, who had to be saved by the judges time and again. "America" never put Aaron in danger of elimination, indicating that he did what was required.

Again, the word is "favorite", not "best"; it's as much a popularity contest as a talent competition. Put in enjoyable performances and endear yourself to the audience with your personality and you win. Sadly, sometimes just endearing yourself to the audience is enough to get you to the finale (*cough*Cyrus*cough*), but Aaron put in uniformly good performances, if not superb, and he was one of the best at acting his part in the lyrical routines.

In the end, it's all subjective.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Amazing to think that some don't think Aaron is the best male dancer this year. His partnering was absolutely superb. As a female, I'd prefer him to any of the others this season by a mile. I'd imagine that knowing you're not going to get thrown to the floor (I'm talking about you, Paul) like a sack of trash is important to the women that value their bodies and don't adore agonizing pain or utter failure in a partner.
post #213 of 234 Old 09-07-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The expert judges are there to give their opinion. Do you think that Nigel dishonestly withholds praise for a performance that he actually really liked because it was by the person he'd prefer not win, or conversely heaps praise on a mediocre performance because he wants that person to win? In any case Nigel's praise has often backfired when it gets too heavy handed.

Yes.

post #214 of 234 Old 09-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

When I think of "skated by" I think of people like Makenzie and Jenna, who had to be saved by the judges time and again. "America" never put Aaron in danger of elimination, indicating that he did what was required.

Again, the word is "favorite", not "best"; it's as much a popularity contest as a talent competition. Put in enjoyable performances and endear yourself to the audience with your personality and you win. Sadly, sometimes just endearing yourself to the audience is enough to get you to the finale (*cough*Cyrus*cough*), but Aaron put in uniformly good performances, if not superb, and he was one of the best at acting his part in the lyrical routines.

In the end, it's all subjective.

To "skate by" means to have an easy time of it. Aaron "skated by" because he was one of the least graceful dancers this season, but never made it to the bottom. By my subjective opinion, he should have struggled in the bottom repeatedly, such as Mackenzie and Jenna who fought tenaciously to stay in (the opposite of "skate by")
post #215 of 234 Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Aaron "skated by" because he was one of the least graceful dancers this season, but never made it to the bottom.

I think there are many ways to judge a dancer. If you take the routine he danced with Kathryn a few weeks ago I don't think any of the other guys could have performed it as well. His size, presence and overall presentation conveyed and enhanced the meaning behind the dance. I found it telling when Kathryn stated she wanted to dance with him the moment she saw him.

post #216 of 234 Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To "skate by" means to have an easy time of it.

The definition that I know of the phrase "to skate by" is to get through something with the minimum effort necessary, never excelling, doing just enough to get through. Sort of like to "squeak by" or "scrape by".

In any case, now I know what you meant by it. All we know is that his performances always got him more votes than the guys in the bottom--he might well have been among the top couple of guys every week or just barely out of the bottom. It doesn't matter--he made the finale and I think that he'll win it.

post #217 of 234 Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:

To "skate by" means to have an easy time of it. Aaron "skated by" because he was one of the least graceful dancers this season, but never made it to the bottom. By my subjective opinion, he should have struggled in the bottom repeatedly, such as Mackenzie and Jenna who fought tenaciously to stay in (the opposite of "skate by")

Wondering what show you've been watching all season. eek.gif

Aaron was superb, imo. Conversely, Jenna, and particularly Makenzie, seemed that they fought tenaciously to (deservedly) stay in the bottom with their uninspired solos.
post #218 of 234 Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Should be interesting TV tonight. Right in the middle of the show, it will get interrupted for the President's speech to the nation (9 PM Eastern). I'm on the west coast so the Prez will be on at 6 PM, so no interruption in the finale when the show airs in my time zone.
michaeltscott likes this.
post #219 of 234 Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Should be interesting TV tonight. Right in the middle of the show, it will get interrupted for the President's speech to the nation (9 PM Eastern). I'm on the west coast so the Prez will be on at 6 PM, so no interruption in the finale when the show airs in my time zone.

Finally, an advantage to living on the west coast (other than the year-round warm, sunny weather--on my part of the coast--and beautiful Pacific shoreline biggrin.gif)! Of things which air live elsewhere, only sports air live here. Sucks to know that live contests and award shows are being seen as they happen by people in the eastern and central time zones and air here three hours later, even if they're happening in this time zone.

post #220 of 234 Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:

Finally, an advantage to living on the west coast (other than the year-round warm, sunny weather--on my part of the coast--and beautiful Pacific shoreline biggrin.gif)! Of things which air live elsewhere, only sports air live here. Sucks to know that live contests and award shows are being seen as they happen by people in the eastern and central time zones and air here three hours later, even if they're happening in this time zone.

Seems like a pretty fair trade to me!
post #221 of 234 Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I FINALLY got around to watching last Tuesday's show the WEE hours of this morning, and here I am posting about it JUST as the finale is about to air, lol. Why did it take me all week? Well, I must admit I have one viewing obsession that exceeds SYTYCD: The U.S. Open Tennis Tournament. It took MOST of my waking hours the past couple of weeks.

Anyway, briefly, first things first (although it was really last). Mark Kanemura IS A GENIUS, PURE AND SIMPLE! When, after onlyONE time doing choreography on the show -- and that with his partner, competitor Jenna -- Nigel announced Mark as "choreographer," NOT "ALL-STAR/CHOREOGRAPHER," or former Top 10, etc. He was simply called a choreographer, as Travis Wall has been for several years, now. And I frankly thought the Saturn Siamese Twins dance (and costumes) was simply superbly quirky -- in a very GOOD way. Mark looks like a new variation of Sonya Tayeh!

Second, much to my surprise, Amy really "raised her game" in the finale competition show, and I agreed with Nigel, et al, that it was anyone's guess whether she or Jasmine would win. Both were excellent!

Aaron is obviously a more talented dancer than Fik-shun, overall, and he also has the "it" factor, I think, that certain look and body language that just SCREAMS STAR! to me! At the same time, although Fik-shun may not have quite as good of an overall dancing genre ability, his personality shines so strongly -- especially that cute little smile of his -- that he also has a star quality to him. So he and Aaron could be a toss-up, too. Frankly, I still think it should be Jasmine and Aaron, and that's who I voted for last week, even not having seen the show (well, I actually caught the last dance after a night tennis match ended -- the Saturn Siamese Twins). Then I went to Fox.com/dance and split my 20 votes between Jasmine and Aaron. I have to say, however, had I watched the show live I may have ended up either not voting at all, or, perhaps, splitting my vote 4 ways, 5 votes each, lol.

I simply DON'T RECALL a Final Four where I felt all four were both this close in either talent and/or "star quality" and that I liked all four as much. We win no matter who wins, this year.
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

post #222 of 234 Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That was disappointing. Oh well.

post #223 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It turned out that a guy and gal who were paired together from the early weeks of the top 20 did win, but not the couple I thought would win.
post #224 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations to Amy and Fik-shun on their win.

And once again we get our annual silly dance with Nigel and Mary (doing one of Fik-shun's routines??) with an intervention by Adam.
post #225 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Other then seeing Travis dance again, none of the routines they picked were my favorites, or ones I even enjoyed that much. Pretty disappointing final but the two that one were the ones I wanted anyway (out of those 4 not everyone). All in all, was a little disappointed in this season as a whole.

post #226 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The biggest news is there will be a season eleven. I thought it worked out rather nicely. The losers will probably have a (better) professional career and the winners will have the title to look back on. It played out perfectly to the format of the show. I never expected my favorites to win and they didn't... still a nice group of "kids" with great personalities.

post #227 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The biggest news is there will be a season eleven. I thought it worked out rather nicely. The losers will probably have a (better) professional career and the winners will have the title to look back on. It played out perfectly to the format of the show. I never expected my favorites to win and they didn't... still a nice group of "kids" with great personalities.

Completely agree with this. Season 11...hell, yeah! smile.gif

Nigel reflected my opinion when he said that this is the first season that most people didn't care who won, since it was clearly evident that all 4 of the last standing deserved to win. Amy was an absolute beast this year and should have a bright future in dance. There's no doubt in my mind she'll be back as an All-Star. Fik-Shun will probably ride Twitch's bus to a lesser degree. Aaron could do very well on Broadway. And Jasmine? That girl can do whatever she wants; model, dance, go on tour with a star, or whatever else she chooses. The future is incredibly bright for her.

Also, I'm glad they replayed that season opening number with the Top 20. That was beyond brilliantly choreographed! smile.gif
post #228 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 132
It's funny that after Jasmine and Marco(?) danced to "Blurred Lines", Kat said something like "it erased bad memories." I guess they're not expecting Miley Cyrus to be a guest next year.
post #229 of 234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed Nigel's comment about people complaining this season was to artistic. Do you guys think that? Not sure I agree that it was to artistic or where that came from.

post #230 of 234 Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Can't believe Derek Hough won the Emmy.
post #231 of 234 Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

We were rooting for Travis.

post #232 of 234 Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I haven't watched the Emmys yet but I take it Cat didn't win? She really deserved it IMO!
post #233 of 234 Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Can't believe Derek Hough won the Emmy.

I can. He regularly adds several points to their score because of his choreography.

post #234 of 234 Old 12-11-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page