So You Think You Can Dance, Season 10 on FoxHD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 234 Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just a heads-up, and to start the new Season 10 thread. AI finale coming up (for those remaining viewers who are still watching that show), and SYTYCD picks up right after.

Tuesday May 14 at 8PM for 1 hour, Wednesday May 15 at 9PM for 1 hour, and then the following week Tuesday May 21 for 2 hours as the regular season finally gets going.

It's really nice to see all the alumni who've made their way over to DWTS and who I continue to really enjoy watching. Saw Twitch and Allison featured last week, Dmitry last night, Lindsey and Whitney as pro and "troupe" this season, Chelsea occasionally, etc.

Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 234 Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Good to see this show back! Looks like a lot of West Coast Hip Hoppers and Breakers made it through.
post #3 of 234 Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Saw Twitch and Allison featured last week, Dmitry last night...

In what?

Last night's opener in Hollywood was decent; I look forward to tonight's Detroit try-outs.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 234 Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

In what?
Twitch and Allison had a featured dance number on DWTS results show last week (or the week before, now). Dmitry, Chelsea (partnered with Louis Van Amstel), et.al. were on the show again last night for a very fast number that featured many blondes.
Quote:
Last night's opener in Hollywood was decent; I look forward to tonight's Detroit try-outs.
I thought the audio quality was pretty awful (very little bass, highly skewed to treble, very irritating to listen to), but then it always is in these road show auditions. Picture quality and lighting at the Orpheum was very good, however.

I liked the opening blonde (do they grow them like that in Salt Lake City, where I believe both Witney and Lindsey came from as well?) contemporary dancer. The rest were kind of entertaining.

I think I'm now over those Eastern Europeans (both male and female) who dance Latin Ballroom, at least until another truly special Anya and Pasha come along.
post #5 of 234 Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I liked the opening blonde (do they grow them like that in Salt Lake City, where I believe both Witney and Lindsey came from as well?)...

I visited some friends in Salt Lake once, probably 30 years ago (husband and wife, he a resident in the hospital at the U of U, she a med student who met when we all lived in Saint Louis; they moved there together). I came there with a buddy to ski at the resorts in the adjacent Wasatch mountain range (Alta, Snowbird, Park City); the city lies in a valley ringed by mountains, an incredibly beautiful setting.

There was a strikingly large population of very robust looking blue-eyed blonde-haired people with perfect teeth smile.gif. I'm black, making me very unusual at that time and place; I think that at the time there were around 5000 black people in a metropolitan area of over a million residents (Wikipaedia says its up to 2.7% of 1,333,000 now). I was shopping in a supermarket and I'm fairly certain that I was the first black person that many of the people in there had seen up close rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif.

post #6 of 234 Old 05-24-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

No comments from this week? Season off to a slow start?

I was obviously smitten by Mariia Lebedeva, as anyone would be. And also her partner, Misha Smagin. Fabulous dancers the two of them. And they're "trying to keep it professional". Sure.

YAY!!! WE HAVE OUR NEW ANYA AND PASHA!!! But Mariia is really beautiful (especially the vein running down her forehead when she blushes) stunningly in shape, and impossible to take your eyes off of.

Also, I do believe we have our next Jeanine... Makenzie Dustman from Temecula CA. STUNNING! I have been racking my brain for days trying to identify the actress she's a dead ringer for, but just can't put my finger on it.

post #7 of 234 Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Brooke Lively
post #8 of 234 Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Brooke Lively
You mean Blake Lively? Ryan Gosling's new wife?

No. I'm thinking of another brunette, looks just like Makenzie.

I'll figure it out eventually.
post #9 of 234 Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Enjoyed the first couple episodes. I always like these audition phases but I seem to recall the majority of previous participants in these SYTYCD threads tend not to like them, only tolerating the program until they get down to the top 20 or what have you.

The two four-year-old dancers were super cute. The little girl dancing with her mom and exorcist dad and then that boy with the bow tie. Several enjoyable dancers so far. Seems to be a higher quotient of meat to gristle this time around. Some blog article I read made the point that there seem to be fewer train-wreck dancers this year. You know, the ones which are clearly delusional about their abilities or trying out for the show merely to get any type of attention. I think the writer made the point that the show producers have learned that it's better to showcase good talent and not mix in as much oddball goofiness.
Quote:

I was obviously smitten by Mariia Lebedeva, as anyone would be. And also her partner, Misha Smagin. Fabulous dancers the two of them. And they're "trying to keep it professional". Sure.

Throughout the routine, I was constantly distracted by his flippy hair-doo in back and his odd mouth expressions. So I tried to ignore him as best I could and watch his partner instead.
Quote:

Also, I do believe we have our next Jeanine... Makenzie Dustman from Temecula CA. STUNNING! I have been racking my brain for days trying to identify the actress she's a dead ringer for, but just can't put my finger on it.

Yes she was rather remarkable looking. Amazing eyes and a smile bestowed by a dental deity. Certainly more attractive than Jeanine. Not that Jeanine wasn't attractive but this girl is in a whole-nuther league, IMO.

Anyway, I'll be watching this season but I don't post too often in show threads like this.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #10 of 234 Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Btw, does anyone know of a site which keeps track of the songs are being played during the routines?

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #11 of 234 Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

GOT IT!!!

Erin Daniels.

And Makenzie.

post #12 of 234 Old 05-25-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

GOT IT!!!

Erin Daniels.

And Makenzie.

I'm sorry, I don't see a real resemblance. I haven't watched this week's episode and I'm not familiar with the actress, so when I read your post, my immediate reaction was not "Wow, those two look alike!" Maybe mannerisms, which I obviously do not know about since I'm only seeing stills of them, help with the comparison.
post #13 of 234 Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
So glad this is back.

post #14 of 234 Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
^^^OH, YES YES!!! -- my delicious treat for tonight! (trouble is I consume the whole mouthful at once, but want another show tomorrow and the day after...)
post #15 of 234 Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's fun, but I am getting tired of the auditions. They're my least favorite part of the show (though thankfully this year they haven't done full blown feature packages of buffoons). Thank God there's only one more week of it.

post #16 of 234 Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I am normally not that thrilled with the audition process. I was thinking last night when I watching last night episode that we have been pretty much idiot free this year then ribbon guy showed up... Anyway this last week seemed to be a ball room dancers spotlight this week. I think the personality came through more than the dancing. The Silent Salsa, the kid brother save, and the mostly dance focused ballroom champ who's name is escaping me.

The dance Olympic guy had the moves, but none of it seemed to land on his face.
post #17 of 234 Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I like the auditions, as long as they keep the bad ones to a minimum. You get to see some interesting people and dance styles that although not right for this show, are entertaining non the less.
post #18 of 234 Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I am normally not that thrilled with the audition process. I was thinking last night when I watching last night episode that we have been pretty much idiot free this year then ribbon guy showed up...

I actually thought that his audition was pretty good, though his attitude was not. It was a strange little jazz piece but it showed quite a lot of grace, control and technique. They were over the top in their praise for him; I wonder if they asked him to do choreography just to test his attitude.

post #19 of 234 Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
^^^Possibly something related, I'm thinking. While not specifically "a test" per se, I think they had in mind that his attitude was continuing to be problematic, so directing him toward choreography would be just another way to gauge his overall demeanor and ability to conform to standards. The show certainly does not need to make room in the top twenty for someone who down the road is just going to implode -- someone else could have benefited greatly from that opportunity, it is certain. So they got it out of the way up front, and that was that. He wants to be paid, but something keeps pulling him back to the auditions. I've got to think he is not casting himself in the best light for ventures outside of SYTYCD anyway though, even though it would appear he has some great measure of dedication to his craft -- his physique alone would indicate that, but I agree he had a good audition as well...
post #20 of 234 Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Btw, does anyone know of a site which keeps track of the songs are being played during the routines?

Sorry for the late response, but puresytycd.com keeps track of the songs.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #21 of 234 Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

I liked the opening blonde (do they grow them like that in Salt Lake City, where I believe both Witney and Lindsey came from as well?) contemporary dancer.

Yes, indeed. Having lived here my whole life, I can tell you that we have what seems to be a ridiculously high percentage of attractive females.

Perhaps it's all that good, clean, wholesome Mormon living...or their magic underwear. Who knows? wink.gif

Quote:

I visited some friends in Salt Lake once, probably 30 years ago (husband and wife, he a resident in the hospital at the U of U, she a med student who met when we all lived in Saint Louis; they moved there together). I came there with a buddy to ski at the resorts in the adjacent Wasatch mountain range (Alta, Snowbird, Park City); the city lies in a valley ringed by mountains, an incredibly beautiful setting.

There was a strikingly large population of very robust looking blue-eyed blonde-haired people with perfect teeth smile.gif. I'm black, making me very unusual at that time and place; I think that at the time there were around 5000 black people in a metropolitan area of over a million residents (Wikipaedia says its up to 2.7% of 1,333,000 now). I was shopping in a supermarket and I'm fairly certain that I was the first black person that many of the people in there had seen up close rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif.

Things have changed quite a bit over the past 20 years. While the scenery and women still remain beyond beautiful, my son, who is white, is actually a minority at his school...and I wouldn't have it any other way. Diversity is a great thing! smile.gif

Lastly, I found this on YouTube. Love it! As an artist, I find myself drawn to those, rather than just performers, but that's just me. Enjoy!
post #22 of 234 Old 06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Anyone heard of any notable format changes this year? Are they sticking with one guy/one girl winners and no results show?
post #23 of 234 Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Anyone heard of any notable format changes this year? Are they sticking with one guy/one girl winners and no results show?

Since they are on only once per week (Tuesday), it makes a results show problematic.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/so-you-think-you-can-dance/listings/
post #24 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Since they are on only once per week (Tuesday), it makes a results show problematic.

The producers of Dancing With The Stars are probably watching this to see how this works since season 17 in Fall 2013 will also be once a week only (Tuesday results show cancelled).
post #25 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, they can watch the previous season of SYTYCD to see how it worked out as well. I don't mind this format; even at a half hour the result shows were mostly fluff. I don't believe that there were any guest musician performances last season either.

post #26 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Quote:

The producers of Dancing With The Stars are probably watching this to see how this works since season 17 in Fall 2013 will also be once a week only (Tuesday results show cancelled).

Does anybody actually watch "DWTS" ?? I tuned in once, saw a judge that had to stand-up, yell, and flail his arms about. I left and never went back.
post #27 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I could do without the judges on both shows.
post #28 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anybody actually watch "DWTS" ?? I tuned in once, saw a judge that had to stand-up, yell, and flail his arms about. I left and never went back.

I don't generally watch but its ratings are usually extremely high, generally in the top 10 during its run. Its competition and results shows were #6 and #5 for the week of May 29th. So yeah, there are people watching it.

The animated judge, Bruno Tonioli, was imitated by Adam Shankman on SYTYCD last week biggrin.gif (at 1 hour 47 in).
Charles R likes this.

post #29 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I don't generally watch but its ratings are usually extremely high, generally in the top 10 during its run. Its competition and results shows were #6 and #5 for the week of May 29th. So yeah, there are people watching it.

The animated judge, Bruno Tonioli, was imitated by Adam Shankman on SYTYCD last week biggrin.gif (at 1 hour 47 in).

Yes. It brought a smile to my face.

BTW, DWTS finished the season 45th and 52nd on the list I saw.
post #30 of 234 Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BTW, DWTS finished the season 45th and 52nd on the list I saw.

The list I saw was this, labelled "Primetime Broadcast Adults 18-49 Viewers for the week ending May 26, 2013". During that week the two nights of DWTS came in 5th and 6th in that demo, according to Nielsen. They came in 1st and 2nd in total viewership. They were 5th and 7th overall the previous week though they did not make the top 25 in the 18-49 demo. Here's a top 10 list at Nielsen's site showing them as the 1st and 2nd rated broadcast shows for the week of May 20th.

Looks like they were 47th and 54th in the 2012-13 Season Adults 18-49 Ratings (33 weeks of Live+7 Day and 2.5 weeks of Live+Same Day ratings), but 8th and 12th in total viewership. It remains a popular show, no matter what we may think of it.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page