post #271 of 2107 Old 06-29-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

my question is- is the dome airtite and if it is how do the people underneath breathe?

I don't know if this constitutes a spoiler or not but to be safe... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Dome is partially permeable to air in the book. Weather systems go around it, but some air does move through. Also note that there are a lot of trees and other vegetation in the area so some oxygen is naturally being produced inside and some CO2 absorbed.

But they've already changed some properties of the Dome from the book; maybe they'll change this one too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2107 Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Amazon Prime are streaming new episodes each week. Is this the first time they have distributed a show that's on air in the same week?

Are they going to stream all the new episodes every week? I know they have on several occasions shown pilots for free, I hope they continue streaming all the new episodes on Prime. I missed the pilot, and just watched it on Prime.
post #273 of 2107 Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I am actually in awe of the above post. Clearly, this member may be HDTV challenged but is not math challenged. tongue.gif But he's on the right track. Look, King talks about the size of the Dome in the book but all you need to know right now is it's a big sucker.

LOL .. There's actually a third assumption that I forgot to mention, namely that the plane strikes the dome surface orthogonally (i.e. head on vs. a glancing blow.)
post #274 of 2107 Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Amazon Prime are streaming new episodes each week. Is this the first time they have distributed a show that's on air in the same week?

Are they going to stream all the new episodes every week? I know they have on several occasions shown pilots for free, I hope they continue streaming all the new episodes on Prime. I missed the pilot, and just watched it on Prime.

Yes, they signed a deal with CBS for next day airings-erm, streaming, of all episodes on the monthly Prime service..

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #275 of 2107 Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

my question is- is the dome airtite and if it is how do the people underneath breathe?

I haven't read the book... but I thought about this.

I figured most likely it is not air-tight... We know it lets light and other electro-magnetic stuff through... otherwise they would have been plunged into darkness and cold... so seems reasonable that it might also let air pass through too.

But... IF it doesn't... there was lots of air in there... and there seem to be lots of plant-life... and it is established that a bunch of people were not in town when the dome hit/dropped/whatevered... so while the air might get stale after a while (by which I mean, smells and other stuff will tend to collect inside of the dome rather than being dispersed over the larger world)... I don't see an immediate problem with lack of oxygen.

Not knowing the purpose... and there must be a purpose... otherwise what's the story? but one could argue that air-tight would be a better experiment for whomever/whatever is conducting things. So I can go either way.

I will say... this felt like Stephen King. Too early to say if that is good or bad... but it felt like a King adaptation to me as I watched.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #276 of 2107 Old 06-30-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I figured most likely it is not air-tight... We know it lets light and other electro-magnetic stuff through... otherwise they would have been plunged into darkness and cold... so seems reasonable that it might also let air pass through.

I know we are just speculating at this point, but what you said makes no sense. The dome is translucent, but it was not letting any electromagnetic waves through (radio, TV, phones). Interesting property, to be sure, as light is simply another form of electromagnetic spectrum (not to mention it has the properties of a particle). But air is most definitely not a particle, it is a collection of molecules. If radio isn't getting in/out, air certainly isn't.

We'd have to speculate right now as to the radio signals they WERE able to get at the station, but right now I'm guessing it was resonant vibrations off the dome.

But I'm an engineer, and the writers of this show aren't, so I don't expect it to follow the laws of physics. Revolution and LOST certainly didn't.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #277 of 2107 Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Right. We are attempting to find science that fits what's being presented. So... watch and see what else happens. This was only the first show (representing pretty much the first day).
post #278 of 2107 Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Plane vs. Dome Part Deux: The Somewhat Bogus Attempt to Determine the Altitude of the Plane at Impact.

So, since my original analysis (apparently) went so well, It occurred to me that one could apply mathematics to estimate the altitude of the plane when it struck the dome. ... And this is where the sad and weepy part starts for your humble narrator.

Assumption #1: Filmed/Videoed Time = Real Time

Assumption #2: Object #1 (a small scrap that hit the ground first) might have acquired additional downward velocity/acceleration as a result of the plane exploding.

Assumption #3: Object #2 (the large tail section) probably encountered terminal velocity conditions which would explain why it took longer to reach the ground.

Measurements:

Object #1 took ~7.04 seconds to hit the ground.
Object #2 took ~9.39 seconds to hit the ground.

The Somewhat Bogus Part of the analysis:

Since I don't want to give myself a stroke trying to estimate masses, drag coefficients and the resulting terminal velocity conditions or the possible additional acceleration due to the explosion, I'm just going to average the times for Object #1 and Object #2 and use the standard formula for displacement as a function of acceleration due to gravity (yes, I know this is completely wrong ... but don't panic yet ... wait until I get to the end of the story.)

So for Object #1: The Altitude of the plane would have been ~798 feet.
For Object #2: The Altitude would have been ~1421 Feet (assuming no terminal velocity effect.)

Even though both of those numbers are probably wrong, they do, at the very least, establish a reasonable range of "possibilities," and, as we will eventually see, they actually confirm that what we saw on screen is more or less mathematically consistent.

If one takes the average of the two times (~8.22s,) the altitude of the plane would have been ~1088 feet.

So back to the original analysis:

Set Radius to 5 miles; Set Altitude to 1088 feet; Then the debris should have fallen ~22.4 feet from the edge of the dome (not counting the rebound distance.) As much as I hate to admit it, that looks right in the center of the target zone.

OTOH, at an impact altitude of 798 feet, the distance of the debris from the edge of the 5mi radius dome would have been ~12 feet (not including rebound.) Furthermore, if the plane were actually flying that low, then there would be a wide range of dome radii that would at least be "in the right ballpark," but 2.5 miles might be the best guesstimate. wink.gif

That is all ... carry on.
post #279 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm still wondering where did that plane took off? according to the latest visual and the altitude that plane has at impact, there's not enough space in the dome to take off and gain that altitude, so the plane must have taken off outside the dome area and the dome landed just as the plane was flying over the town, am I right?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #280 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I'm still wondering where did that plane took off? according to the latest visual and the altitude that plane has at impact, there's not enough space in the dome to take off and gain that altitude, so the plane must have taken off outside the dome area and the dome landed just as the plane was flying over the town, am I right?

The plane was a small 2 or 4 seater used for pilot training, crop-dusting, that kind of thing. It took off from a small local airfield. Remember, the Dome is big. It encompasses a large area - an entire township and surrounding farmland, maybe a couple hundred square miles or more (not what the publicity photo would indicate).
post #281 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

The plane hit the dome soon after the "event" .. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that it was in the air prior to the "event" ..

like archiguy said, we have to somewhat ignore the artistic interpretation of the dome used in the publicity piece .. it would not be possible to make as visually appealing a picture if the dome were represented at it's actual size ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #282 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The plane hit the dome soon after the "event" .. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that it was in the air prior to the "event" ..

like archiguy said, we have to somewhat ignore the artistic interpretation of the dome used in the publicity piece .. it would not be possible to make as visually appealing a picture if the dome were represented at it's actual size ..

The end shot is a little more realistic to the size of the dome, as it pulls back, look how small the town and buildings are. Plus it encompasses all the surrounding farm lands, etc. The thing is huge, not the tiny thing they showed in the trailers leading up to the show.

post #283 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The plane was a small 2 or 4 seater used for pilot training, crop-dusting, that kind of thing. It took off from a small local airfield. Remember, the Dome is big. It encompasses a large area - an entire township and surrounding farmland, maybe a couple hundred square miles or more (not what the publicity photo would indicate).

Plus ... those types of aircraft can reach "cruising" altitude a lot quicker than one might think. That being said, on screen, it did appear that the plane was still climbing at impact, which might tend to support my somewhat bogus guestimate ...

I guess we'll see if and when they actually reveal the dimensions of the dome ... after all the hard work on the crash footage, they might wind up shooting themselves in the foot.

OTOH, We *could* talk about how *easy* it would be to run from a large piece of debris that *could* be moving at up to ~206 mi/hr at impact with the ground. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #284 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I haven't read the book... but I thought about this.

I figured most likely it is not air-tight... We know it lets light and other electro-magnetic stuff through... otherwise they would have been plunged into darkness and cold... so seems reasonable that it might also let air pass through too.

But... IF it doesn't... there was lots of air in there... and there seem to be lots of plant-life... and it is established that a bunch of people were not in town when the dome hit/dropped/whatevered... so while the air might get stale after a while (by which I mean, smells and other stuff will tend to collect inside of the dome rather than being dispersed over the larger world)... I don't see an immediate problem with lack of oxygen.

Not knowing the purpose... and there must be a purpose... otherwise what's the story? but one could argue that air-tight would be a better experiment for whomever/whatever is conducting things. So I can go either way.

I will say... this felt like Stephen King. Too early to say if that is good or bad... but it felt like a King adaptation to me as I watched.

I've watched most of the King adaptations that he was actually involved in, and this one definitely has that "feel". One of the main reasons this is getting a season pass on the DVR.

Steve S.
post #285 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I know we are just speculating at this point, but what you said makes no sense. The dome is translucent, but it was not letting any electromagnetic waves through (radio, TV, phones). Interesting property, to be sure, as light is simply another form of electromagnetic spectrum (not to mention it has the properties of a particle). But air is most definitely not a particle, it is a collection of molecules. If radio isn't getting in/out, air certainly isn't.

We'd have to speculate right now as to the radio signals they WERE able to get at the station, but right now I'm guessing it was resonant vibrations off the dome.

But I'm an engineer, and the writers of this show aren't, so I don't expect it to follow the laws of physics. Revolution and LOST certainly didn't.

Actually... the easy explanation... considering the dome is most certainly there on purpose, created by some intelligent being, using technology beyond what most people understand... that the dome would allow natural electromagnetic forces/events to pass through... but would filter out man-made.

So... light, UV rays, etc. could pass through just fine... but man-made radio, phone, etc. would be filtered out.

Since we clearly aren't talking a natural occurrence here... no reason to assume someone intelligent to create that kind of force-field dome wouldn't be able to make it a smart field.

Molecules are particles. You seemed to be saying that air is "not a particle" because it is a collection of molecules... but that is a contradictory statement.

Even without fancy future-alien tech... I can design a structure that filters out radio but allows air. Heck, many buildings do just that... unintentionally in most cases... but still, many building materials inhibit radio, cellphone, etc. from penetrating the structures while air is certainly getting into the building for people inside to breathe while they can't use their phones or radios... so that is actually an easy thing to accomplish without a force-field even!

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #286 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 599
I have to admit, I'm expanding my knowledge of math and science here regularly .. and heck, we've got what, 12 episodes left .. ?? wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #287 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Next mystery to be solved: the generator that Big Jim set up inside that diner (hotel?) that is silent and won't suffocate them.
Smaller mystery: why the heck Barbie dug that grave big enough for an elephant. Seriously, that thing was as wide as it was long!
post #288 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok ... I'm just a wee bit freaked out ... I swear I haven't read the book. smile.gif
post #289 of 2107 Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Next mystery to be solved: the generator that Big Jim set up inside that diner (hotel?) that is silent and won't suffocate them.
No biggie. Exhaust pipe leads outside. I worked at a place that had a similar generator where they did that. And many newer generators don't make much noise.

Fuel is the issue. Gasoline supply in there won't last forever, especially with everyone making unnecessary car trips.
post #290 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 AM

Ok guys, here is my measurement for the dome judging by the end scene from the pilot.

You are gonna like it wink.gif

Edit,
Sorry there was an error in the last pic. The numbers should be correct now.

post #291 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post

Ok guys, here is my measurement for the dome judging by the end scene from the pilot.

You are gonna like it wink.gif

Edit,
Sorry there was an error in the last pic. The numbers should be correct now.

Uh, I think you need a decimal point rather than a comma. A dome over 2,000 miles in diameter will encompass more than one town unless it's in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
post #292 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Done.

Too bad you have my wrong numbers in the quote.
But anyway, judging by that final pic the dome would be around 1200m or roughly 4000 feet high in its center.
post #293 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The producers have to create striking visuals for the TV screen. In "reality" (the reality of the plotline), the Dome is much bigger than that. In the show, SmartKid does some field measurements and indicates the Dome is some 10 miles in diameter. In the book it was somewhat bigger, but figure 100-200 square miles underneath the Dome and that should be close enough. The only important thing to remember is that it encompasses the entire town and some surrounding woods and farmland.
post #294 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Episode 2. Still good. The little King touches are nice. That thin veneer of society peeling back is his best playground. My copy of the book arrives Wednesday. I'll stack the show up on the DVR until I'm finished with it.
post #295 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It doesn't encompass the entire town, remember all the houses and stuff that got cut by the dome, that house on fire was right at the edge. (whoever or whatever put it there must have miscalculated)

What about the lake or body of water down south? judging by the kids map the dome should encompass some of it, have they tried swimming under it?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #296 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I liked the premier, havn't caught up on last night, yet. I'm not going to go into the physics of the dome as I'll buy in that its there and some technologically advanced entity has put it there for some yet to be deduced reason. I didn't like the introduction of the kidnapping, but as someone else mentioned, the town and the stories Under the Dome will involve a micorcosm of society so I'll let it evolve. I'm a bit surprised that there has not been a discussion of what the kids who convulsed were muttering. I can't recall it all, but I thought it was along the lines of "The stars ar falling, the stars are falling straight down" or something to that effect. Does that portend that the dome will be protection for a small segment of humanity or something more related to the originators. Also, why no communication with outside authorities using...wait, wait,....written messages on a white board? Old school, but why not? Maybe next episode. Anyway, I'm pulled in enough to keep watching.
post #297 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Regarding the oxygen situation; it would appear the writers attempted to address that (somewhat) by showing that the dome was semi-permeable; water could get through, so it would stand to reason that air could, as well. In the shots they showed of the entire area covered by the dome, I didn't see an airport or landing strip, so I'm led to believe that the plane was just flying through and got caught.

All in all, it's a cool premise with a lot of dramatic potential; I haven't read the book and I think I'll keep it that way.
post #298 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Was anyone else annoyed by the fact that they spent so much time putting out the fire on the fence, to stop it from spreading, but the shots after the fire clearly showed the fence was literally right next to the dome?
post #299 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Regarding the oxygen situation; it would appear the writers attempted to address that (somewhat) by showing that the dome was semi-permeable; water could get through, so it would stand to reason that air could, as well. In the shots they showed of the entire area covered by the dome, I didn't see an airport or landing strip, so I'm led to believe that the plane was just flying through and got caught.

I commented on that on the previous page. The Dome is semi-permeable and now they've established that in the show. The Big Retcon is it's apparently soundproof and impervious to certain electromagnetic spectrum (like radio and cell phone frequencies). This violates the "rules" that King established in the book. If the Dome is slightly permeable to air and water, then sound would necessarily have to pass through, if somewhat muffled. If the visible light portion of the electromagnetic spectrum is fully permeable, then radio waves should penetrate as well. The screenwriters are re-writing the Laws of Physics to fit their perceived script requirements. It remains to be seen if that was really necessary, or they were just taking the easy way out. We'll know in a few months.

The small private airstrip the plane took off of was probably inside the Dome. Doesn't really matter.
post #300 of 2107 Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post

Done.

Too bad you have my wrong numbers in the quote.
But anyway, judging by that final pic the dome would be around 1200m or roughly 4000 feet high in its center.
I concur, that was my guess as well. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

From the closing shot on the TV show it looks like that dome would struggle to reach even 1 mile high.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471968/under-the-dome-on-cbs-hd/240#post_23480311
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page