'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1045Likes

post #2971 of 3026 Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Don't forget about the White Box truck that disappeared and was never seen or heard from again on 24.
I don't even remember that truck. I remember the power/cable truck though! :P Too bad that cougar didn't take down Kim Bauer. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
I don't even remember that truck. I remember the power/cable truck though! :P Too bad that cougar didn't take down Kim Bauer. :P
At the time they had a Sniper in the DC area and they were looking for a White Box Truck(erroneously). I assume because of the current real life events in the DC area at the time, they decided to just eliminate that white box truck from the show. It still makes no sense to me.
phildaant likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2973 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Question

Quote:
At the time they had a Sniper in the DC area and they were looking for a White Box Truck(erroneously). I assume because of the current real life events in the DC area at the time, they decided to just eliminate that white box truck from the show. It still makes no sense to me.
I don't even remember that scene. I do remember lots of sniper scenes. Haha. I think Jack was a sniper too in S1?
post #2974 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
In a way, I think Tim might have ruined this show for me just as much as the show itself did with the sum of its stupidity, because as the finale played out before my eyes, rather than sitting in awe and wonder, I spent most of my time thinking, "Oh, look, there's another guy with a nonsensically sweaty neck. Tim is going to have a field day with this."
Not that I want to defend the show, but in this particular case the writers did explain that the calcification of the dome caused the temperature to rise. Characters were complaining about the heat an episode or two ago when the elderly started suffocating.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #2975 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
. The worst part of it was the performance of the utterly untalented young actress who played Dawn/The New Queen. She was so biblically awful, watching her was almost fun. Leave it to a show that was so bad for so long to end the series on another cliffhanger, despite the showrunners having long known that the show was canceled. Yuk, good riddance!
No way! The award for, "Phoning it in" has to go to Marge H. (It would be presented by Linda Blair). I actually thought she was competent when she was on CSI. Her "performance" on Dumb made me realize what a bad actress she is. It looked like a table read. I guess the producers couldn't get Madonna.

I'm willing to take off 25% for her lines though. I'd love to see some out takes of some of those. Actually, she was so bad it looked like all her scenes were shot in one take.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
gwsat likes this.
post #2976 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked: 2522
Many, many years ago, Marg H. was in a critically acclaimed series called 'China Beach'. She was a pretty good actor then, which leads me to believe that it wasn't her fault that she was apparently so bad in this show. It was the Dome. Look what it did to Dean N., who also used to be pretty good in a critically acclaimed show. Bad Dome!

After sitting out the year and relying on you guys (and Tim) for my Dome fix, I watched the finale. Gracious. That was bad. Epic-ally (is that a word?) bad. None of it made the slightest bit of sense, and not because I hadn't seen any of this season's eps. Thank God for Rachelle Lefevre's hair. That glorious mane of tumbling reddish-brown hair. That was my constant. I'd spend an eternity in purgatory if I could run my fingers through that hair just once. *sigh*

But it was a good week for bad summer tee-vee. I watched the finale of another one of CBS's summer "events" as well -- 'Extant'. And I noticed something that is no doubt really important. It kind of ended the exact same way! In UtD, there was a final shot of the alien baby-lady who wants to exterminate mankind and who our heroes thought was dead entering a building. In 'Extant', there was a final shot of an sentient AI robot who wants to exterminate mankind and who our heroes thought was blowed-up-real-good entering a building.

I was thunderstruck! It's like CBS wants to do for summer sci-fi what it's done for cop procedurals. If it's worth doing once by golly, it's worth doing a hundred times the exact same way!

I can't help think the similarity of these two summer blockbuster events ending nearly the same way can't be a coincidence, even if they shared the same writers' room, which they probably did. Mankind is either doomed or domed. And now we'll never find out which. For some reason, that troubles me.

DOME!
gwsat likes this.
post #2977 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
??? Long Known?? It was only cancelled at the end of August. Less than two weeks before the Finale aired.
It depends on when/if the cast and crew were notified beforehand, the end of August was when it was officially announced in a press release.
gwsat likes this.
post #2978 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Extant isn't stellar, but it's nowhere near Dome levels of bad.
phildaant likes this.
post #2979 of 3026 Old 09-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
UTD sank to new levels of bad, i'm actually wonder if/when another show will top that.
post #2980 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 03:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh, I agree with that. 'Extant' made big strides in its second season, and may even return next summer. But even its "new" plotline came straight out of central screenwriting with 20 years of coffee and donut stains all over it.
post #2981 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
UTD sank to new levels of bad, i'm actually wonder if/when another show will top that.
I only watched the first episode of Zoo, but that sure seemed to be a prime contender.
Machuran likes this.

Josh Z

post #2982 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I only watched the first episode of Zoo, but that sure seemed to be a prime contender.
Zoo is far and away much worse than the Dome. Too bad, because I like the James Patterson books (well-some of the early ones at least) and was looking forward to that series.
post #2983 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
UTD sank to new levels of bad, I'm actually wonder if/when another show will top that.
I never watched it but the 1990 series Cop Rock might be judged worse.
post #2984 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I never watched it but the 1990 series Cop Rock might be judged worse.
It depends if it's campy, mediocre, trainwreck, etc. There are many types of bad that a show can be classified as such.
post #2985 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Train wreck. It was cancelled after 4 months A police procedural based on a Broadway musical. Cops busting into songs during an arrest didn't sit well with the audience.
Machuran likes this.
post #2986 of 3026 Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Train wreck. It was cancelled after 4 months A police procedural based on a Broadway musical. Cops busting into songs during an arrest didn't sit well with the audience.
Thought so and that was just based on the title without actually having watched the show.
post #2987 of 3026 Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Zoo is far and away much worse than the Dome. Too bad, because I like the James Patterson books (well-some of the early ones at least) and was looking forward to that series.
Haven't watched any of Zoo but I would rate UTD better than Wayward Pines - the stories made about the same amount of sense but every character on WP was an absolute zero. Of course I quit watching both partway through so maybe I'm not in the best position to judge...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #2988 of 3026 Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Thought so and that was just based on the title without actually having watched the show.
I loved Cop Rock. A Greek chorus to provide context and song to convey emotions worked for me.
post #2989 of 3026 Old 09-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Haven't watched any of Zoo but I would rate UTD better than Wayward Pines - the stories made about the same amount of sense but every character on WP was an absolute zero. Of course I quit watching both partway through so maybe I'm not in the best position to judge...
UTD does have the trainwreck factor, but this season was nearly unwatchable for me and I would've given up if it wasn't cancelled.

WP started out promising in terms of the mysteries, but then the mid season twist deflated all that and the finale twist made it worse for me.
post #2990 of 3026 Old 09-16-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The series finale, which didn't wrap anything up, was a mess from beginning to end. The worst part of it was the performance of the utterly untalented young actress who played Dawn/The New Queen. She was so biblically awful, watching her was almost fun. Leave it to a show that was so bad for so long to end the series on another cliffhanger, despite the showrunners having long known that the show was canceled. Yuk, good riddance!
She seemed like an okay actress all season as Eva but she was absolutely terrible in the finale as the new Queen.

Barbie and Julia need to show up next year on...Zoo.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
post #2991 of 3026 Old 09-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
UTD does have the trainwreck factor, but this season was nearly unwatchable for me and I would've given up if it wasn't cancelled.

WP started out promising in terms of the mysteries, but then the mid season twist deflated all that and the finale twist made it worse for me.
I liked WP in the beginning but agree that the mid season twist (and not a good one) ruined it for me. I watched it to the end, though. The finale was bad but definitely not as bad as UTD's finale.
Machuran likes this.
post #2992 of 3026 Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianb View Post
I liked WP in the beginning but agree that the mid season twist (and not a good one) ruined it for me. I watched it to the end, though. The finale was bad but definitely not as bad as UTD's finale.
UTD is in a completely different league of awfulness all on its own.
post #2993 of 3026 Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Stephen King’s ‘The Mist’ in the Works as TV Series
By Jeff Sneider, TheWrap.com - Sep. 16, 2015

Stephen King‘s “The Mist” is being developed as a TV series by “Scream” producer Dimension Television and writer Christia Torpe, who created the hit Danish series “Rita,” it was announced Wednesday.

King has blessed this adaptation of “The Mist,” which was previously adapted for the big screen by “The Walking Dead” creator Frank Darabont.

Using the book and movie as influences, the series will tell an original story about a seemingly innocuous mist that seeps into a small town but contains limitless havoc. From psychological terrors to otherworldly creatures, the mist causes the town residents’ darkest demons to appear forcing them to battle the supernatural event and, more importantly, each other.

“The terror and drama in Stephen King‘s novella are so vast that we felt serialized television is the best place to explore them in greater depth,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company and Dimension Films. “With this show, Christian has created a fascinating band of characters and a story with infinite scares.”

Megan Spanjian, VP of scripted TV, Matthew Signer, EVP of production and creative affairs, and Keith Levine, SVP of production and development, will oversee the project for Dimension TV.

Torpe’s “Rita” is now finishing its fourth season, and he has developed programming for both Showtime and AMC. He’s represented by ICM Partners.

http://www.thewrap.com/stephen-kings...-as-tv-series/
aaronwt likes this.

post #2994 of 3026 Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Taking bets now that the Mist will be essentially the same show as Under the Dome, except instead of a Dome... we have mist!

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #2995 of 3026 Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Taking bets now that the Mist will be essentially the same show as Under the Dome, except instead of a Dome... we have mist!
Well, whatever it is, I'll definitely not be watching unless/until it shows up as a complete story on Netflix.

I've had enough of these ridiculous nonsensical cliffhangers and totally disjointed seasons. Season 2 of Dome was nothing like season 1, and season 3 started with an alternate reality even more ridiculous that the last season of Lost, and it got worse from there. If season 1 was Under the Dumb, season 2 was Under the Dumber, and season 3 was Under the Dumberer.

I’m done with this now. I’ll pass on Mist, just like I already passed on Extant and Zoo.

Dome will be the last scripted series I watch on commercial television, either broadcast or cable, period, end of sentence.
leebo and Machuran like this.
post #2996 of 3026 Old 09-17-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Deciding to never watch broadcast TV again because Under the Dome sucked is like deciding to never go to the movies again because you made the mistake of seeing Mortdecai. There will always be bad efforts mixed in with the good, but abandoning an entire orchard because of a few bad apples is just foolish.
post #2997 of 3026 Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
So, every episode's going to be the whole town blanketed in fog? Seems like it will be pretty monotonous.

Josh Z

post #2998 of 3026 Old 09-18-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
So, every episode's going to be the whole town blanketed in fog? Seems like it will be pretty monotonous.
Not for Brother Oink. He lives in Oregon. It's like that pretty much every day.
olyteddy likes this.
post #2999 of 3026 Old 09-18-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Well, the line "Using the book and movie as influences" is pretty much the tip off .. UTD having essentially a Dome as the commonality between the book and the show, and not much else, plot wise .. and if I recall correctly, Dome was intended to go as a one and done season but garnered some great ratings numbers so it was time to milk that .. and, apparently as long as the checks cleared, King could care less ..

At any rate, maybe Big Jim will make a cameo and I can crack a Schraderbräu ..

archiguy and aaronwt like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3000 of 3026 Old 09-18-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
By Jeff Sneider, TheWrap.com - Sep. 16, 2015

Stephen King‘s “The Mist” is being developed as a TV series by “Scream” producer Dimension Television and writer Christia Torpe, who created the hit Danish series “Rita,” it was announced Wednesday.

King has blessed this adaptation of “The Mist,” which was previously adapted for the big screen by “The Walking Dead” creator Frank Darabont.

Using the book and movie as influences, the series will tell an original story about a seemingly innocuous mist that seeps into a small town but contains limitless havoc. From psychological terrors to otherworldly creatures, the mist causes the town residents’ darkest demons to appear forcing them to battle the supernatural event and, more importantly, each other.

“The terror and drama in Stephen King‘s novella are so vast that we felt serialized television is the best place to explore them in greater depth,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company and Dimension Films. “With this show, Christian has created a fascinating band of characters and a story with infinite scares.”

Megan Spanjian, VP of scripted TV, Matthew Signer, EVP of production and creative affairs, and Keith Levine, SVP of production and development, will oversee the project for Dimension TV.

Torpe’s “Rita” is now finishing its fourth season, and he has developed programming for both Showtime and AMC. He’s represented by ICM Partners.

http://www.thewrap.com/stephen-kings...-as-tv-series/
Sweet!!! I'll be looking forward to this! As long as it's on a cable network though.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page