post #361 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You want something to sink your teeth into? Dean Norris is coming back to the screen in a far different role in a few weeks to make amends. wink.gif

arch, what show is that?
we may disagree on this show being entertaining to watch but if there's something potentially good coming up, please say smile.gif

when Orphan Black came out, I had no idea it would turn out as good as it did but it was very well done. always have to try them out. I'll try anything & go from there smile.gif

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

arch, what show is that?

post #363 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks, archiguy! I've not paid that one any attention but will look for it.

in short, how is the Dome book so much better? is it is more realistically laid out story? anything like the Stand, which I enjoyed reading many years ago? I'll add it to my short list after I finish catching up on the GoT books.

Steve
post #364 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks, archiguy! I've not paid that one any attention but will look for it.

in short, how is the Dome book so much better? is it is more realistically laid out story? anything like the Stand, which I enjoyed reading many years ago? I'll add it to my short list after I finish catching up on the GoT books.

It's a long book but a quick read. I read the e-version on my iPad a few months back. It's like you would expect any book to be, lots more background on everything - characters, geography, the military and Barbee's connection to it, the Dome itself. A plotline that's already being ret-conned, different background for some characters. Some of it seems beyond what would be necessary to make the transition to TV, and they'll have to change the ending if they want to drag it out beyond this season.
post #365 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

after just watching the 2nd episode this evening...my wife & I decided for us, it'll be 1 more for that decision.
After this episode, I'm not sure it deserves the 3rd chance tongue.gif

why is it so hard for there to be good shows on network TV? especially ones with Spielberg's name on them.

the drama is laughable...a boyfriend imitation of The Collector rolleyes.gif I almost expected the girl's name to be Miranda instead of Angie wink.gif for those that don't know The Collector was a movie done in the 60's of a novel by Folkes.

then there's the idiot Rev who proceeds to trash the house instead of being stealthy about looking for the propane bill...nothing like ransacking a home to arouse the suspicion of a cop rolleyes.gif and they way that played out was stupid, yanking drawers out & throwing things on the floor, even if the Rev was on whatever drugs "they're making". the whole fire scene was stupid...why would any sane person light up the document and leave ashes, when all they had to do was steal it! how stupid does King & Spielberg think the audience / book reader is to accept this piece of trash, lazy writing?

the fire brigade...could someone have thought to start a siphon with several garden hoses in the pool to fill up buckets faster? the deal with the water supposedly seeping thru...alternate explanation: condensation from temperature differences, warm hand on a colder surface with cold water being sprayed on the other side. and water "leaking thru" says the dome is a permeable real surface, not a force field, that just happens to extend as far as one can dig below ground level. does it go to the center of the earth? biggrin.gif I can buy force field as a good scifi premise but now we're looking at a real dome it seems. well, if King wants that to be the premise, he has scientific inconsistencies to deal with like how far down does it go - it must have a boundary unless it goes all the way thru the crust, mantle, core, cutting the earth into 2 sections. so, how about the military getting with some drilling companies & start finding it? the whole idea starts breaking apart if you take it to its logical conclusion...a force field works much better wink.gif

unless the show improves rapidly, to me it looks like the other hyped "game changing" Spielberg show, Terra Nova.

while the scifi premise is "interesting", it looks like another show with a corrupt city pol, a conspiracy, a murderer in the same house as the murdered...that's original. Jericho NOT! now that was a well acted & scripted series, post apocalypse.

game changer? no, more like Peyton Place under glass.

I hope the book is much better than this adaptation so far. I've enjoyed many early King books.

Ugh, here we go again.

The dome could easily be actually the same underneath as it is on top without "going to the core" it would have to be a few miles down into the crust.

How is a siphon faster then dunking a bucket and filling it instantly. The pool wasn't that high, they would have much force pushing the water through the syphon, which would have to be maintained on the pool end as water levels dropped, because it couldn't be all the way down into the pool or you would loose the water pressure. Once the line started and got into the rhythm the buckets would be coming fast and soon, filled with water.

His had was WAY to wet to be condensation, it was dripping with water in a second or two.

They haven't started drilling down because it has been less then 24 hours. If you listen to the radio broadcast they have tried a LOT of stuff, trying to penetrate it, analyze it, etc. so to say the military is not doing anything is wrong. They have done a LOT in less then 24 hours.

post #366 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Confirmed that "SmartKid" needs to go back to class. Somebody needs to remind him that Sqrt(x) only equals 0.5(x) when x=4. (As opposed to x= 21.something.) biggrin.gif

I don't know where he got the a and b from but the correct solution to the Pythagorean formula (if that's how he's calculating radius) would have been 4.6 miles, making the diameter of the dome 9.2 miles. Unless it's all just gibberish. wink.gifbiggrin.gif Whew! I thought I was having a seizure there for awhile. smile.gif

Seriously? Sorry but who really cares? How does that add or take away from the show? Vast majority of viewers will not know nor care, it doesn't have to do with if his calculations are .8 miles off, its the overall concept. Trying to point out math mistakes in a TV drama does nothing but show you had basic math classes in college.

post #367 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 935
It's been fun guys. To quote a fellow AVS member quoting a movie:
Quote:
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
smile.gif
post #368 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

the military and Barbee's connection to it, .

Careful, Arch, that's a spoiler so far as the TV show is concerned to date. I keep biting my tongue resisting comments that would spoilerize things. I think I'll just lurk here.

Who knows, that may have been changed, too.
post #369 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

Careful, Arch, that's a spoiler so far as the TV show is concerned to date. I keep biting my tongue resisting comments that would spoilerize things. I think I'll just lurk here.

Who knows, that may have been changed, too.

They've already changed a lot about Barbee after only 2 episodes. But we've already seen his dog tags and he's not in uniform, so a previous association with the military isn't a spoiler; it's what the show has given us so far.
post #370 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They've already changed a lot about Barbee after only 2 episodes. But we've already seen his dog tags and he's not in uniform, so a previous association with the military isn't a spoiler; it's what the show has given us so far.

+1

post #371 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Trying to point out math mistakes in a TV drama does nothing but show you had basic math classes in college.

In most school districts you would have learned the Pythagorean formula by 7th or 8th grade. I think it's perfectly fine to criticize writers who assume their audience is too stupid to remember middle school math, or are themselves too stupid to remember it.
post #372 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Did anyone notice when the reporter is talking to Barbee and throwing the tennis ball at the dome, when the camera pans out, you can see the front tire of the military truck is on the groove in the ground that is supposed to be the dome? On my system, it was @ 7:46. The bumpers on those trucks are probably 3ft from the tires, if not more.
post #373 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I liked seeing Samantha Mathis in both episodes both far and assume we will see one where she, her wife and daughter play a larger role. Any ideas about the seizures and the utterances about Stars?
post #374 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Seriously? Sorry but who really cares? How does that add or take away from the show? Vast majority of viewers will not know nor care, it doesn't have to do with if his calculations are .8 miles off, its the overall concept. Trying to point out math mistakes in a TV drama does nothing but show you had basic math classes in college.

1) Just pointing out that they appear to be making things up as they go along.

2) If you're going to put up a few frames that you *know* somebody is going to freeze frame and "grade," the least you could do is make sure the math is correct, otherwise you just look like an idiot. Surely somebody in the production crew (especially on the CGI team, I would hope) survived 10th grade Geometry a/o Trig. (Or maybe the problem is they don't teach these things in high school anymore. biggrin.gif ) Plus the difference between a diameter and a radius is *not* trivial, nor is the difference between Sqrt(x) and x/2. To put it bluntly, "SmartKid's" work isn't even in the right zip-code. It's actually a minor miracle that "SmartKid's" answer is "only 0.8 miles off." biggrin.gif

3) There's actually a much easier way to determine the size (radius) of the dome at ground level: All you need is a compass (the kind with a pointy end on one leg and a pencil on the other,) a straight edge/ruler, "SmartKid's" map of the town/city (assuming it's accurate to scale) and the ability to correlate landmarks on the map to points that the dome edge crosses. It's much easier and faster than trying to solve multiple equations. (BTW, it takes at least three equations - not one - to solve that circle problem numerically.) But since you're not interested, I won't bother to explain the graphical method further. wink.gifbiggrin.gif Hint: You only need three points on the circle.

PS: The part of your post that I highlighted *could* be the real problem, here. smile.gif
philw1776 likes this.
post #375 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

PPS: I think it would have been much cooler if "SmarKid" had actually demonstrated the graphical solution, which wouldn't have taken much longer to play out than the scene we actually saw. But I guess TPTB figured that would be too booooooooooooorrrrrrrring a/o nerdy. wink.gif
post #376 of 2536 Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Liked: 15
Two other outside references I didn't catch at the time. Bouncing the tennis ball off the dome, a nod to "The Great Escape." And, the dog's name is Truman. As in "The Truman Show" involving a great big dome...
Flambe likes this.
post #377 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

It's been fun guys. To quote a fellow AVS member quoting a movie: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? smile.gif

biggrin.gif that's funny! one of my favorite wartime movies cool.gif a classic line!

Steve
post #378 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

PPS: I think it would have been much cooler if "SmarKid" had actually demonstrated the graphical solution, which wouldn't have taken much longer to play out than the scene we actually saw. But I guess TPTB figured that would be too booooooooooooorrrrrrrring a/o nerdy. wink.gif

Assumes the writers remembered or ever knew the graphical solution, which is, frankly, unlikely. One thing you can say as a generality about Hollywood writers. Nobody called them "Smartkid" in high school. Yes, there are exceptions, but by and large, Hollywood writers are not the sharpest people on the crew.
post #379 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

In most school districts you would have learned the Pythagorean formula by 7th or 8th grade. I think it's perfectly fine to criticize writers who assume their audience is too stupid to remember middle school math, or are themselves too stupid to remember it.
Actually, it's called the Pythagorean Theorem, not formula, but I won't criticize you for not knowing that. smile.gif
post #380 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assumes the writers remembered or ever knew the graphical solution, which is, frankly, unlikely. One thing you can say as a generality about Hollywood writers. Nobody called them "Smartkid" in high school. Yes, there are exceptions, but by and large, Hollywood writers are not the sharpest people on the crew.

LOL ... point taken ... to be honest, it took a while for me to remember how to do it (I'm pretty sure that's 7th or 8th grade stuff.) ... I probably wouldn't have bothered researching if the mathematical jibberish had not made me feel stupid ... like there was some kind of super-math that I've never encountered before. biggrin.gif

So after all the work I put in, "proving" that the plane-crash sequence might have actually been thought out in advance, I'm back to the conclusion that any relation to real math and physics was, in fact, purely accidental.

Foot meet Bullet ... Bullet, Foot.

PS: I'm still trying to figure out how there was no crater on the ground and no crumpling of the tail section on impact. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #381 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55

LOL.  Typical AVS HD Programming Nerd Herd thread.  Pocket Protector Brigade assemble!  The funny part is they actually think regular, normal people give a rip about ridiculous crap like this when watching TV. 

ron

post #382 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

That's what bothered me... that they went out of their way to show he was working the math only to show incorrect math. They didn't have to show anything... then we wouldn't be talking about it.

It is part of the creep that has been happening all my life... where you see misspellings in news crawls on the TV... you never used to see that in the news. IF they can't get the easy stuff right, why do we think they get the hard stuff right?

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #383 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

That's what bothered me... that they went out of their way to show he was working the math only to show incorrect math. They didn't have to show anything... then we wouldn't be talking about it.

It is part of the creep that has been happening all my life... where you see misspellings in news crawls on the TV... you never used to see that in the news. IF they can't get the easy stuff right, why do we think they get the hard stuff right?

How do we know the kid was supposed to get it right? To me it's like complaining about someone on a TV show bowling 153 instead of 300... how could they not get it right. smile.gif

post #384 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:

Add me to the list of those that don't care .. it's a Network TV show, not an exercise in physics, math or science .. but kudos to those that do such a great job displaying their nerdmanship .. Sheldon would be proud .. wink.gif
Doug Wallen and BoilerJim like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #385 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

LOL.  Typical AVS HD Programming Nerd Herd thread.  Pocket Protector Brigade assemble!  The funny part is they actually think regular, normal people give a rip about ridiculous crap like this when watching TV. 

ron
I tend to agree, although I do enjoy "stirring the pot" occasionally.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #386 of 2536 Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

ron

Ron, you ol' curmudgeon you. tongue.gif

While it may seem humorous to think so, I don't believe too many people nerding out on a thread like this really think very many other "regular, normal" people get obsessed with this kind of minutia. They come here to commiserate and speculate with those that do. It's like a little club to which you're not invited (nor would want to be). wink.gif
post #387 of 2536 Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

How do we know the kid was supposed to get it right?

I actually considered that, especially since the anti-hero army-dude said, 'Well keep working on it.' smile.gif

I nerded out a bit more by trying to construct a problem that would come close to producing "SmartKid's" final answer ... the closest I got was r = c / Sqrt(2) ... c being the straight line distance between a point A at 0 deg on the circle and a point B at 90 degs. Of course, without knowing the radius ahead of time, it's pretty hard figure out when you've found two points on the circle that are 90 degrees apart, radially. wink.gif
post #388 of 2536 Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Bingo. Furthermore, it's always interesting to watch the (ever so subtle) anti-math, anti-science hostility/backlash unfold ... biggrin.gif

We are the only country to have actually put humans on another ball of rock in the solar system ... sadly the last was ~ 38 years ago. Yet today, our students don't even rank among the top 10 countries in math/science ... got plenty of religion though ... and multimillionaire sports "heroes."

I know that the show, "Under The Dome," isn't really about the dome, or science, or math ... or even science-fiction ... it about how the people locked under the dome behave. I get that. ... Really. smile.gif (And making money for CBS and Mr. King, of course.)

My point is simply that crappy math examples aren't helping the outlook for the country's future. There's no reason (other than pure laziness) that you can't have accurate math/science and still tell the "human interest" story. It's not binary choice.

As a writer, if you don't know what's going on, all you have to do is ask your weird, nerdy friend(s). At least, Google it for pity's sake.

PS: I'm proud to admit, that if it came to it, I could probably still use a slide-rule ... correctly ... assuming I could find one.

PPS: There could be some adult beverages involved in the above rant. wink.gif
philw1776 likes this.
post #389 of 2536 Old 07-06-2013, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are the only country to have actually put humans on another ball of rock in the solar system ... sadly the last was ~ 38 years ago. Yet today, our students don't even rank among the top 10 countries in math/science ... got plenty of religion though ... and multimillionaire sports "heroes."

scary but you & I share same thoughts, especially about the influence of religion. when 40+% say they think the earth is only 10000 yrs old, that's does not bode well for the future of the US in a technological world. where the polls go, so does our politics >>policies. in 50 yrs, China could become the scientific-technological powerhouse and we'll become their mfg sweatshop. this country has already let some major scientific projects slip through its fingers, like the LHC collider at CERN.

then there's the state of manned flight at NASA frown.gif

I agree with you not to be nerdy but if the writers wanted to show a teen doing the math on the dome, at least take a few minutes to get the math right! all it takes is google wink.gif

Steve
post #390 of 2536 Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 22
Well what about this poor gal trapped in the bomb shelter, if any thing happens to her psycho ex she's going to be down there a long time.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page