post #541 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

If we can accept that people fly in interstellar space ships, there are vampires and zombies, then accepting the premise of this show no matter how flawed shouldn't be a huge leap. Whether it has legs over time will rest with character development as with any show, scifi, drama or comedy. No interesting characters or plot arcs then the show will disappear.

I actually find the premise of "The Dome" to be within the realm of possibility .. an experiment based on a microcosm of humans ..

Not withstanding the Simpsons .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Ok, so stalker rapey Junior is seriously crazy. Like everything he does is crazy. Even the "hero" stuff in the hospital was crazy. Now he has a badge and a gun. Even the way he talks is crazy. Super crazy.

That was freaky how the kids figured out the seizure thing, but even more freaky is how Joe pops up in the middle of his seizure, looks at the camera, and puts his finger on his lips as if to say "shush". Super freaky. This show is weird.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #543 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Now that Dad has found the girl changed in the shelter will he let her go or does he protect his son and keep her locked up?
post #544 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
The plot thickens. lol

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #545 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Now that Dad has found the girl changed in the shelter will he let her go or does he protect his son and keep her locked up?
changed or chained? Seriously, I missed this week's episode.
post #546 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

He'll keep her in there, he's as twisted as his kid, BMOC can't be seen to have had a woman held captive on his property.

I'm still going with the dome being like the Stargate: Atlantis and at the end of the show's run it will lift up and fly off into space. Probably a good place for most of it's inhabitants anyway.
post #547 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 733
I agree. I don't see Big Jim letting her go. You could see it in his eyes and expression. Something was off.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #548 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

He'll keep her in there, he's as twisted as his kid, BMOC can't be seen to have had a woman held captive on his property.

I'm still going with the dome being like the Stargate: Atlantis and at the end of the show's run it will lift up and fly off into space. Probably a good place for most of it's inhabitants anyway.

They've got to run out of food sooner or later. Then what?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #549 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The meningitis outbreak bothered me.

I'm too lazy to look it up... so I don't know what the incubation period is (how long you have after exposure before showing early symptoms) or the contagious period...

But... since they established that the dome happened 3 days ago... and 30+ people suddenly had meningitis... someone (at least one someone) should have already been sick 3 days ago with it... that "patient zero" would be responsible for the outbreak and then that might be exacerbated by everyone being locked in the dome and some large groups huddling together more than usual... but the dome didn't create meningitis... unless we aren't privy to something from the book... so in order for an outbreak to happen now, someone should have been sick already a few days earlier... and it sure didn't seem like that was the case.

Meanwhile... part of me thinks Big Jim will let the girl go... part of me thinks he might be rapey Sr... hard to say at this point.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #550 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You mean like this?
http://books.google.com/books?id=jDiC_uGhgxAC&printsec=frontcover&output=html_text&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0
Keenan likes this.
post #551 of 2536 Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Well I've quit watching the show, reading this thread is more entertaining.
post #552 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Yes, exactly! biggrin.gif
post #553 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 243
‘Under the Dome’ holds steady in week four
CBS hit averages a 2.7 in 18-49s, equal to last week
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Jul. 16, 2013

Four weeks into its run, CBS’s “Under the Dome” remains the summer’s top show, and its ratings held steady week to week for the first time.

“Dome” averaged a 2.7 adults 18-49 rating last night, according to Nielsen overnights, equal to last week.

It’s the first time the show has not declined week to week, an indication that viewership levels have probably settled in three weeks after the program bowed to a 3.3, become the highest-rated summer premiere on broadcast in years.

“Dome” easily won its 10 p.m. timeslot, topping the combined averages of ABC’s “Mistresses” (1.1) and NBC’s “Siberia” (0.8, down from a 0.9 last week).

Elsewhere last night, NBC’s new 9 p.m. series “Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls” averaged a 1.4, retaining 93 percent of last week’s 1.5 debut rating. It marked the highest week-to-week retention for any new series this summer.

“Get” also retained 93 percent of lead-in “American Ninja Warrior’s” 1.5 rating at 8 p.m.

CBS was first for the night among 18-49s with a 1.7 average overnight rating and a 5 share. ABC and Univision tied for second at 1.6/5, NBC was fourth at 1.2/4, Telemundo and Fox tied for fifth at 0.6/2 and CW was seventh at 0.2/1.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback, which includes shows replayed before 3 a.m. the night before. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Forty-eight percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

ABC started the night in first place with a 1.8 at 8 p.m. for “The Bachelorette,” while NBC and Univision tied for second at 1.5, NBC for “Warrior” and Univision for “Porque el Amor Manda.” CBS was fourth with a 1.2 for repeats of “How I Met Your Mother” and “Mike & Molly,” Fox fifth with a 0.6 for an hour of “Raising Hope” reruns, Telemundo sixth with a 0.4 for “Dama y Obrero” and CW seventh with a 0.2 for “iHeartRadio Ultimate Pool Party.”

At 9 p.m. ABC maintained its lead with a 1.9 for more “Bachelorette,” followed by Univision with a 1.7 for “Amores Verdaderos.” NBC was third with a 1.4 for “Alive,” CBS fourth with a 1.2 for repeats of “2 Broke Girls” and “Mike & Molly,” Fox fifth with a 0.6 for reruns of “New Girl” and “The Mindy Project,” Telemundo sixth with a 0.5 for “Marido en Alquiler” and CW seventh with a 0.3 for its “IHeartRadio” special.

CBS took over the lead at 10 p.m. with a 2.7 for “Dome,” with Univision second with a 1.4 for “Que Bonito Amor.” ABC was third with a 1.1 for “Mistresses,” Telemundo fourth with a 0.9 for “El Señor de los Cielos” and NBC fifth with a 0.8 for “Siberia.”

CBS also led the night among households with a 4.3 average overnight rating and a 7 share. ABC was second at 4.0/7, NBC third at 2.3/4, Univision fourth at 1.9/3, Fox fifth at 1.0/2, Telemundo sixth at 0.8/1 and CW seventh at 0.5/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/under-the-dome-holds-steady-in-week-four/

post #554 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I never read the book, but considering I can be a bit impatient when it comes to wanting to know the secret I went and looked it up. I gotta say, after finding out what the dome is and where it came from, I'm ready to bail. As it is the show isn't that good, but to put one of the dumbest premises I've ever heard on top of it makes this feel like a waste of time.
post #555 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm in it for Julia and Big Jim.. that's it

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #556 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I never read the book, but considering I can be a bit impatient when it comes to wanting to know the secret I went and looked it up. I gotta say, after finding out what the dome is and where it came from, I'm ready to bail. As it is the show isn't that good, but to put one of the dumbest premises I've ever heard on top of it makes this feel like a waste of time.

They have said numerous times and it was posted in here, the ending will be completely different. King himself approved the new reason for the dome so it fits in better with the direction they are going in the show.

post #557 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The meningitis outbreak bothered me.

I'm too lazy to look it up... so I don't know what the incubation period is (how long you have after exposure before showing early symptoms) or the contagious period...

But... since they established that the dome happened 3 days ago... and 30+ people suddenly had meningitis... someone (at least one someone) should have already been sick 3 days ago with it... that "patient zero" would be responsible for the outbreak and then that might be exacerbated by everyone being locked in the dome and some large groups huddling together more than usual... but the dome didn't create meningitis... unless we aren't privy to something from the book... so in order for an outbreak to happen now, someone should have been sick already a few days earlier... and it sure didn't seem like that was the case.

Meanwhile... part of me thinks Big Jim will let the girl go... part of me thinks he might be rapey Sr... hard to say at this point.

How about that super antibiotic they used?
post #558 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcady View Post

How about that super antibiotic they used?

Yeah... that normally would have bothered me too... but since it was magic meningitis, I was ok with magic antibiotic smile.gif

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #559 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

Some self contained bomb shelter. Water pipe connects to the kitchen sink in the house? Can always assume that the shelter was retrofitted later when a nuclear attack wasn't such a threat.
I actually nearly fell out of my seat laughing when she was banging and tugging and broke the pipe and knocked herself out. It was so absurd, I had to pause the show while I finished laughing.

Then I skipped back and watched it again...it was funny twice.

The only thing that would have been better would be if she started a fire.

Then they could have played "Smoke on the Water"....
mylan likes this.
post #560 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Tom, your post bothers me. It's one thing to offer conjecture (which is what all of our posts are), but your post borders on spoiler status. I may be disappointed by the show's dome cause reveal or I may not be. But now I'll have this "dumbest premise" in the back of my mind as I watch the rest of the series.

Not cool, dude.
post #561 of 2536 Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 137
It's already been said that the Dome cause is different in the series from the book.....

Bobby 

post #562 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

It's already been said that the Dome cause is different in the series from the book.....

Pretty much everything is different from the book except the characters' names. After watching this week's episode last night, the only thing my wife (who also read the book) and I agreed was consistent with the novel was the Prius Julia is driving.

Whatever. It is what it is. I have no idea how the series will finish this season and cliffhang the next. But it's a shame they didn't do a one-season straight-up book adaptation. That would have been far more interesting and entertaining than what we've gotten so far.
post #563 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Under the Dome wins last weeks Nielsen ratings for total viewers:

1 UNDER THE DOME-07/08 CBS 10709
2 AMERICA'S GOT TALENT-WED-07/10 P NBC 10707

So what else was on? Everything else is mostly repeats except for "America's Got Talent"

post #564 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
We have "reality" nigh" on NBC Mondays but Siberia can't even come close to competing against Dome.

I watch Dome live and DVR Siberia

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #565 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Pretty much everything is different from the book except the characters' names. After watching this week's episode last night, the only thing my wife (who also read the book) and I agreed was consistent with the novel was the Prius Julia is driving.

Whatever. It is what it is. I have no idea how the series will finish this season and cliffhang the next. But it's a shame they didn't do a one-season straight-up book adaptation. That would have been far more interesting and entertaining than what we've gotten so far.

Agreed .. although there was a dome in the book as well .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #566 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

Tom, your post bothers me. It's one thing to offer conjecture (which is what all of our posts are), but your post borders on spoiler status. I may be disappointed by the show's dome cause reveal or I may not be. But now I'll have this "dumbest premise" in the back of my mind as I watch the rest of the series.

Not cool, dude.

The way things are going, whatever the reveal ends up being is looking more and more unknown .. my brain is dredging back to an original Twilight Zone (or maybe it was Outer Limits .. ??) .. where a giant girl is shown looking down on a tiny dollhouse town at the conclusion and picks up one of the tiny Earthlings .. wink.gif

Whatever the series reveal, I'm betting it's one we've seen before ..

Uncle Willie

post #567 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The way things are going, whatever the reveal ends up being is looking more and more unknown .. my brain is dredging back to an original Twilight Zone (or maybe it was Outer Limits .. ??) .. where a giant girl is shown looking down on a tiny dollhouse town at the conclusion and picks up one of the tiny Earthlings .. wink.gif

Whatever the series reveal, I'm betting it's one we've seen before ..

Twilight Zone. The "Earthlings" were a couple that wake up in an unknown town apparently.
post #568 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Disagree completely. A LOT is the same, and some is the same but tweaked for a Television drama. Sure they aren't going to follow it exactly as that would make for an INCREDIBLY boring show as the book does would not translate well to a TV show where the audience is older, and probably never read his book (shocking, not everyone who watches these shows based on books actually read the book, most come in looking for a new drama/show).

post #569 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Disagree completely. A LOT is the same, and some is the same but tweaked for a Television drama. Sure they aren't going to follow it exactly as that would make for an INCREDIBLY boring show as the book does would not translate well to a TV show where the audience is older, and probably never read his book (shocking, not everyone who watches these shows based on books actually read the book, most come in looking for a new drama/show).

I don't know, I was 65 when the book first came out, and read it. I've been reading Stephen King since 1975. I know a ton of people, my age, that read Under the Dome. There are a lot of 'loyal readers' out there...

Bobby 

post #570 of 2536 Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

a few Book vs TV comparisons ..

In the Book .. Barbie lived in Chester's Mill before Dome Day.

In the Show .. He is shown burying someone, and doesn't know anyone in town.

Book .. The local paper is called the Democrat.

Show .. It is named the Independent.

Book .. Big Jim is Chester's Mill's Second Selectman.

Show .. He is a councilman.

Book .. Linda Everett is a part time cop, married mother of two.

Show .. She is a full time cop with no kids who is engaged.

Book .. Junior Rennie has a brain tumor that caused him to be a sociopath.

Show .. He is very jealous.

Book .. No Lesbian Couple with Daughter

Show .. There is a lesbian couple featured who have a daughter.

Book .. There is an earthquake and strong winds prior to the dome forming.

Show .. The Dome suddenly appears but is invisible and no one notices it until they start crashing into it.

Book ..The local radio station is WCIK and plays Christian music.

Show .. It is a rock station named WYBS.

there are many more ..

Uncle Willie

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page