post #721 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Not bad for a handful of channels competing against hundreds. And finally take a quality show like The Good Wife (voted #50 best-written all time TV show) and at its thread all you hear is crickets. smile.gif

The last time I watched it was the best drama CBS has on air. So what do they do? Badly market it, dump it in a Sunday night slot and endlessly screw up transmission because they would prefer to have the inconsequential 60 minutes running every week even if it disrupts every other show that night.

Instead Dome gets an uninterrupted Monday night slot and more publicity than The Good Wife has ever had. Maybe if CBS reversed that and let Dome fester in a Sunday slot and get shuttled around at random then the AVS thread might be more lively.

But CBS don't care about quality when people are happy to watch mediocrity by the millions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I find those endlessly wishing to dictate the direction of the show rather silly. Much like complaining a G rated, PG13 rated or whatnot isn't R or X rated. It is what it is by design if it doesn't suit your design you are not the target market...

The main use of this forum section is for people to complain, though. If you read most of the topics for most of the shows, you'll see people doing the same thing in each one. It seems kind of rare for people to spend time lauding shows here; the only recent topics I can think of with more praise than criticism are the ones for The Americans and Orphan Black. If the show was good, people would probably just enjoy it and let the topic die. We come here to vent. Even if it's futile, it makes us feel better (but not watching at all would probably be the best medicine for what ails us).
post #723 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The problem with the rain wasn't the rain... micro-climate is fine... but after only a week (given what they said in the episode) the monsoon rain that followed was too much... the lake didn't look low either, so where would all that rain have evaporated from?

Add to that... not a cloud in the sky moments before the sudden rainstorm... even microclimates don't work that way... you would have noticed clouds forming in the sky above you... getting darker... before the rain happened.

That is what was wrong with the rain... then the change from rioting idiots to helpful neighbors... imagine a prison break, then it rains and the inmates suddenly stop trying to escape and start dancing around in the rain happily... that wouldn't make sense either.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #724 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The main use of this forum section is for people to complain, though. If you read most of the topics for most of the shows, you'll see people doing the same thing in each one. It seems kind of rare for people to spend time lauding shows here; the only recent topics I can think of with more praise than criticism are the ones for The Americans and Orphan Black. If the show was good, people would probably just enjoy it and let the topic die. We come here to vent. Even if it's futile, it makes us feel better (but not watching at all would probably be the best medicine for what ails us).

You just cited two shows that are very, very good with very, very little to complain about. Others that I can think of that fit into that category are 'Breaking Bad' and BSG. Those are entirely different kinds of discussions because they were entirely different kinds of shows - the very cream of the television crop.

LOST was that way too, for the first 5 seasons or so. There was a little grumbling in S-3 when the storyline got bogged down a bit with a captivity plotline that kind of went nowhere, but by and large the discussions in the thread were full of interesting speculation and praise for the show's execution and inventiveness. And then came S-6 when it all went haywire, and the thread comments reflected that change in quality.

As I said in my previous post, if CBS had gone with a straight by-the-book adaptation this thread might be full of those kind of comments as well. Instead of....well, you know....well deserved grumbling. It coulda' been a contenda'.
post #725 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I wish they had held back the news of a season 2 renewal until after the season finale. From that moment on we knew the disappearance of the dome wasn't in the cards this season. Which to me means considerable marching in place before reaching a conclusion.
post #726 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

....Add to that... not a cloud in the sky moments before the sudden rainstorm... even microclimates don't work that way... you would have noticed clouds forming in the sky above you... getting darker... before the rain happened.

That is what was wrong with the rain... then the change from rioting idiots to helpful neighbors... imagine a prison break, then it rains and the inmates suddenly stop trying to escape and start dancing around in the rain happily... that wouldn't make sense either.

I read this criticism before I saw that episode. The focus was at street level. Clouds could have formed without us (or the folks in the town) noticing them. The intensity of the storm is fishy, though...
The change in mood is within the bounds of believability. Everyone thought the water was running out quickly, then there was water coming out of the sky! When food starts running out, the mob mentality will return.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #727 of 2394 Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

You just cited two shows that are very, very good with very, very little to complain about.

I know. The problem is that most shows are not on that level, so most of what people post in the topics here is going to be negative. The only shows that don't receive such treatment are the ones that don't match the demographics of the people who know about this site and thus don't get any posts in their threads at all.
Quote:

As I said in my previous post, if CBS had gone with a straight by-the-book adaptation this thread might be full of those kind of comments as well. Instead of....well, you know....well deserved grumbling. It coulda' been a contenda'.

I think you overestimate the mass appeal of Stephen King. His readers would be happier, but the rest of us would be complaining about his worldview and disdain for humanity, and by the time we got to the end, we'd be complaining about a) how lame and cliched the explanation for the dome was and b) what a waste of time watching the whole thing was just to get such an anticlimactic ending. Note that I'm not necessarily saying I disagree with him regarding complaint a), but it makes for pretty depressing "entertainment".
post #728 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Lets have some fun.

If you lived under the Dome, what would be the first thing you'd do if the Dome disappeared?

My answer would be to get in my car and drive as fast as I could to get away from it in case it should decide to return. Just my luck, it would have only expanded a half mile and I'd go crashing into it. lol

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #729 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Lets have some fun.

If you lived under the Dome, what would be the first thing you'd do if the Dome disappeared?

My answer would be to get in my car and drive as fast as I could to get away from it in case it should decide to return. Just my luck, it would have only expanded a half mile and I'd go crashing into it. lol

Not if you had adaptive cruise control. smile.gif Mine occasionally got fooled by bridge support beams at the crest of a hill. The car braked hard and warning bells started going off, lights started flashing, and the driver behind me about ran up my tailpipe. It jolted me out of my slumber, dagnabit!
post #730 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Lets have some fun.

Change my name and appearance so I couldn't be identfied from all the bad stuff I did when the Dome was up.

post #731 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Not if you had adaptive cruise control. smile.gif Mine occasionally got fooled by bridge support beams at the crest of a hill. The car braked hard and warning bells started going off, lights started flashing, and the driver behind me about ran up my tailpipe. It jolted me out of my slumber, dagnabit!

At least it wasn't as bad as the people in the back seat that were wide awake and screaming through the ordeal. smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #732 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

The problem with the rain wasn't the rain... micro-climate is fine... but after only a week (given what they said in the episode) the monsoon rain that followed was too much... the lake didn't look low either, so where would all that rain have evaporated from?

Big Jim's bomb shelter. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I wish they had held back the news of a season 2 renewal until after the season finale. From that moment on we knew the disappearance of the dome wasn't in the cards this season. Which to me means considerable marching in place before reaching a conclusion.

That's my feeling as well. Like I said way back before this started and it was revealed that they might try to make it a series instead of a one and done, I was psyched for this as a mini-series. As a regular series though, not so much.

That said, I kept watching, regardless of how bad I think it is because I was sure there was no way this would be picked up for a second season and they'd be forced to tell us what this is all about. Now that we know it's gonna go on, you can be damn sure we'll get no answers at all and I'm wondering why I'm even finishing up the season knowing I won't be back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #733 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:

The problem with the rain wasn't the rain... micro-climate is fine... but after only a week (given what they said in the episode) the monsoon rain that followed was too much... the lake didn't look low either, so where would all that rain have evaporated from?.
Not that I'm defending the physics of it all, but I think you're overestimating how low the lake level would need to be for the amount of rain we saw. Even just a few inches of evaporation would result in hundreds of thousands of gallons of rainfall.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #734 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I haven't posted much before in this thread, but thanks to the commentary here...

I dumped all seven episodes I had stored for future watching (starting with the pilot) and deleted it from my scheduled recordings.

Back to other stuff for me. biggrin.gif

FYI, now seven weeks to the new season of Dancing With The Stars (one of the more popular threads on this forum cool.gif) and you can harangue me there.
post #735 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 129
From the views they've shown so far it doesn't look to me like very much of the lake is even inside the dome. Maybe I just didn't see it properly.
post #736 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I think you overestimate the mass appeal of Stephen King. His readers would be happier, but the rest of us would be complaining about his worldview and disdain for humanity, and by the time we got to the end, we'd be complaining about a) how lame and cliched the explanation for the dome was and b) what a waste of time watching the whole thing was just to get such an anticlimactic ending. Note that I'm not necessarily saying I disagree with him regarding complaint a), but it makes for pretty depressing "entertainment".

So you're saying you actually liked the "awesome" ending of "The Stand?" (the Mini Series) wink.gif

You know, I just realized that I've never actually read a single Stephen King book ... not one. My experience with his work appears to come entirely from movie and TV adaptations.
post #737 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Add to that... not a cloud in the sky moments before the sudden rainstorm... even microclimates don't work that way... you would have noticed clouds forming in the sky above you... getting darker... before the rain happened.

A giant dome appeared and covered a town! If that can happen, why would you think that traditional rules of climate would apply? Maybe the dome just makes rain out of no where?
post #738 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post

A giant dome appeared and covered a town! If that can happen, why would you think that traditional rules of climate would apply? Maybe the dome just makes rain out of no where?

Actually, they were kind of saying that - the Dome is "providing for their needs" once the magic-kids touched it. More ret-conning, but who's counting at this point?
post #739 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Not that I'm defending the physics of it all, but I think you're overestimating how low the lake level would need to be for the amount of rain we saw. Even just a few inches of evaporation would result in hundreds of thousands of gallons of rainfall.

My memory of them at the lake was that the lake was pretty full... and if it was any higher it would have been flooding the road to get to it... I could be wrong, but it didn't look like a lake that had been losing a lot of volume recently.
Quote:

This comes up a lot in forums... but suspension of disbelief is limited. Here is my example.

I can choose to believe that Superman is from another planet, and he is stronger/faster and can fly on earth... but the story tells me that this is only true for him... and that other people on earth are regular people who obey the usual laws of physics... so when Superman zooms in and pulls someone away by the arm at super-speed... I can't suspend the disbelief that this action doesn't rip that normal human's arm off!

Similarly... I am fine with the dome-from-nowhere that may be alien or super-science... but the rest of the town is presented as a "real-world" town that obeys normal science... so unless and until they explain/prove the dome causing other things to not obey the rules of physics, I expect them to obey those laws of physics.

post #740 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, they were kind of saying that - the Dome is "providing for their needs" once the magic-kids touched it. More ret-conning, but who's counting at this point?

Clearly, the dome is made of transparent nanites, and as we all learned watching NBC this year, nanites can do anything... rolleyes.gif

(Physics? What physics? We don't need no stinkin' physics...)
post #741 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So you're saying you actually liked the "awesome" ending of "The Stand?" (the Mini Series) wink.gif

Nope. I've never seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

You know, I just realized that I've never actually read a single Stephen King book ... not one. My experience with his work appears to come entirely from movie and TV adaptations.

Neither have I, but I've not watched any of the other adaptations, either. Stephen King isn't my cup of tea, so I'm happy that the story of this adaptation has been changed for TV. That being said, I am also unhappy with what it got changed to, so in the end it isn't much of an improvement. Oh well, it's only summer filler.
post #742 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you overestimate the mass appeal of Stephen King.

The majority of his movies would disagree with you.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=stephenking.htm

There's a reason his name is above the title on every adaptation filmed. That's also the reason people tuned in to this show in the first place, because if it had been sold as just a sci-fi show about a town under a big force field then it wouldn't have received half as much attention as it has.

For the viewers it's irrelevant if they have read the books, they are still fans of Stephen King just based on all the movies and TV shows they've seen. They have no idea how different some of them are but that doesn't change the fact King has masses of mass appeal. If this had followed the book more closely those same viewers would be there next time too. They might have liked that version better just because King's name was above the title. Nihilistic or no, it makes no difference. Most of the movies turned out that way. The only thing that matters is how well done the end result is and Dome is not an example of that.

post #743 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
post #744 of 2394 Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My memory of them at the lake was that the lake was pretty full... and if it was any higher it would have been flooding the road to get to it... I could be wrong, but it didn't look like a lake that had been losing a lot of volume recently.
I like how you ignored my comment that even a few inches would be enough for hundreds of thousands of gallons. Such an amount of evaporation would be nearly imperceptible to the naked eye, but that doesn't stop it from still being a tremendous volume of water.

Let's say that the lake is a square mile (for the sake of argument). One inch of evaporation would be equal to over 4 billion cubic inches, or 17 million gallons of water. If the lake is smaller, adjust accordingly.

post #745 of 2394 Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The dome runs through the lake and can pass a certain amount of water. The lake level wouldn't have to go down. That map also showed some creeks, I think.

I think we're all over thinking this, maybe more than the writers. Season One is already filmed. Just have to see how this plays out. I wonder if they see any of these posts?
post #746 of 2394 Old 08-03-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I like how you ignored my comment that even a few inches would be enough for hundreds of thousands of gallons. Such an amount of evaporation would be nearly imperceptible to the naked eye, but that doesn't stop it from still being a tremendous volume of water.

Let's say that the lake is a square mile (for the sake of argument). One inch of evaporation would be equal to over 4 billion cubic inches, or 17 million gallons of water. If the lake is smaller, adjust accordingly.

I wasn't ignoring your comment... I was saying that an inch or two higher (from my memory of the scene) would have resulted in a lake that was flooding its boundaries... so... for what you are saying to be true, the lake would have had to be flooding the road there pre-evaporation.

I could be remembering the scene wrong... I'm just saying based on my memory... the level was high enough that if it was even a little bit higher, it seems like it would have flooded... and I don't remember any mention of a flood.

But besides that.... I don't think there has been time enough in the dome for that amount of evaporation to have occurred.

post #747 of 2394 Old 08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't ignoring your comment... I was saying that an inch or two higher (from my memory of the scene) would have resulted in a lake that was flooding its boundaries... so... for what you are saying to be true, the lake would have had to be flooding the road there pre-evaporation.

But besides that.... I don't think there has been time enough in the dome for that amount of evaporation to have occurred.
They walk down to the lake. Linda and Barbie get out of their car and have to walk towards the shoreline. I'm on mobile so I can't take a screenshot, but there is a perceptible decrease in elevation from the road down the beach to where they see the fish.

Water evaporates under average conditions at a rate of 1/8th of an inch per day. Per the previous episode, Barbie has they have been under the dome for a little over one week. Sufficient time for exactly one inch of evaporation.

Lakes/rivers/etc routinely raise and lower over time due to a variety of circumstances. Ever hear of high tide/low tide on the ocean? A similar phenomena happens on smaller bodies of water. Shorelines show signs of change overtime.

Shoot, even my pool in the backyard has to be refilled once every two weeks or so due to evaporation, and its only 15x30.

post #748 of 2394 Old 08-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All this talk about how much rain could be produced within the dome...what we found interesting was how the dome was able to send the rain in very particular patterns...the scene where it is pouring but the people in front of the camera aren't getting wet; the scene where it is pouring but 15 - 20 feet behind the car the road is dry in a perfectly straight line and the house to the right is dry, etc.rolleyes.gif
post #749 of 2394 Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Beneath Chester's Mill is the new Xavier Institute and clearly Storm was bored. What we haven't seen are all the X-men running around underground trying to deactivate the force field they accidentally turned on.

It's all a tie in to the next X-men movie.

post #750 of 2394 Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Please have Bishop time travel back to knock off Junior....:-) 

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page