post #811 of 2536 Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

I finally finished the book. i'd be interested to hear what other people think of the way things turned out.

We can't do that here because it would be a huge spoiler for the TV series..... We still don't know the direction the series is going....

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2536 Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

I finally finished the book. i'd be interested to hear what other people think of the way things turned out.

Myself, I've really tried to refrain from a lot of book discussion other than opinion and differences so far .. but there is a wealth of info on what readers thought of the ending on line ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #813 of 2536 Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I kind of figured it would end this way. suited me just fine. typical Stephen king ending.
post #814 of 2536 Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
now to answer my own question. if I know the ending after reading the book is there any reason to keep on watching?
post #815 of 2536 Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 416
The book and the TV show have already diverged, so the book's ending is irrelevant. Whether you continue to watch the show relies solely on whether you think the direction it's going is interesting. Knowing how the book ends doesn't play any role in the decision, at least for me.
post #816 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Junior is still painful to watch and the dialog is cliched to the point I was mouthing the exact lines word for word in some places. Characters are still struck by Idiocy Disease too (Hey look, pink stars on the egg! No comments? Okay then.) but this has become slightly more interesting over the past few weeks now that people are being frequently shot and there is at least some actual survival drama taking place. Not enough to get me to keep watching next season though. Especially if this means that Angie is going to be possessed by an alien communicating through the egg to speak for whatever beings are in control. Not only is that the typical budget saver but also means that CBS can avoid being too sci-fi and scaring away the audience.

This episode was one of the best examples of TV Pump Shotgun Trope too! Even better than when Zero Hour did it a few weeks ago.

A TV pump shotgun is never chambered before an important scene. No matter how necessary it may be for protection going into a dangerous situation. A cartridge is only chambered when pointing the shotgun at someone, purely to intimidate the target.

This episode Junior not only did that once when pointing at Big Jim. But then a few seconds later did it again and the previously loaded cartridge was never ejected! Dome magic! biggrin.gif

See also: all guns must make a metallic clicking noise when being handled and knives and swords must always make a metallic "schick" noise when being pulled from a scabbard/sheathe no matter what material the sheathe is made from. wink.gif

post #817 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Watching Jr. is painful. The Director isn't doing him or the show any favors with the long lingering looks at his befuddled grill.Too many tight close-ups period, even on 'Hank", I mean Dean..
post #818 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The continued ratcheting up of the mayhem is keeping me watching ..

The loss of Ollie was kind of a drag .. him and Big Jim's feud made for an interesting side story .. and Leon Rippy played it to the hilt ..

I have no concept of irrigation physics, however, it seemed like a stretch to me that the reservoir was immediately replenished after blowing the well .. and that Ollies single well could have drained the others in the first place .. and was Ollie always selling water to his farmer buds ?? And will the methane in the lake ever dissipate or could it be used as a fuel source .. ?? We need Walter White to step in here ..

“The monarch will be crowned” ... “Save the cheerleader, save the world” ..

The butterfly on Angie's shoulder does not look like a monarch to me .. although we have seen the recurrence of butterflies thru the show ..

So far, my low expectations continue to be met .. and yes, there is too much Junior ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #819 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Maybe the alien boss is a giant moth that looks like a Monarch moth... Aliens Vs. Monsters kinda moth

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #820 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

" We need Walter White to step in here" ..

Exactly what I was thinking. How cool would it be for a cameo by Bryan Cranston? biggrin.gif
djb61230 likes this.

post #821 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Maybe the alien boss is a giant moth that looks like a Monarch moth... Aliens Vs. Monsters kinda moth

"Moth Man" .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #822 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

............. I could go on and on, but I think you should watch the last episode and judge for yourself. I sat there rolling my eyes and shrugging my shoulders throughout most of it. Especially the scenes that were supposed to be dramatic/heartwarming. They were so heavy handed and sappy that I was just glad when they were over.

I decided not to watch my recording of that (2nd to last) episode and have subsequently deleted the show from my season pass recording list. Life is too short and as it is, I've got a long list of universally praised shows, both past and present, that I need to catch up on.
tomhunter8 likes this.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #823 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Does anyone think Junior actually switched sides as a "Trojan Horse" agent as he said- or is he just so unstable that he turned on Ollie when the situation was right?

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #824 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Does anyone think Junior actually switched sides as a "Trojan Horse" agent as he said- or is he just so unstable that he turned on Ollie when the situation was right?

It's hard to tell because his acting is so bad..
post #825 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I'm still scratching my head about the people on the outside, since the missile there has been nobody close not even the military..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #826 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I'm still scratching my head about the people on the outside, since the missile there has been nobody close not even the military..

Exactly. You'd think the dome would be a big tourist attraction. You know the hippies would be camping out waiting for the aliens to appear. Not to mention the end of the world nut jobs too.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #827 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did not buy the Trojan Horse reason ..

Uncle Willie

post #828 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
Quote:

Considering he went to that side in the first place because it seemed like the side with the upper hand. The guy is a classic bandwagon jumper.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #829 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 125
Anybody here read the Image comic (by the Luna Brothers) "Girls" from several years back? Sometimes I get that kind of vibe from this story... though I haven't read the Stephen King book to know if the book has any of that vibe to it.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #830 of 2536 Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The butterfly on Angie's shoulder does not look like a monarch to me .. although we have seen the recurrence of butterflies thru the show ..

It isn't. The butterfly at the start of the episode (when Barbie was digging the grave) was, so I'm hoping the ending was a misdirect. I assumed initially that the line was a reference to Ollie vs Jim and deciding who would become the ruler of Chester's Mill, but I have a bad feeling that Angie is still going to be involved in some silly upcoming dome possession plot, as others have speculated.
post #831 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder if this roughly 40 minutes of show will now become standard for network shows filling an hour. Thats what it is on Amazon Prime. Ive checked others an most are at least 43 minutes.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #832 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
Unless I'm just tired or falling asleep (entirely likely, the show ends at 11pm), the previews for next week's episode aren't actually previews, it's just a commercial for Amazon Prime. I can't actually recall seeing any previews for the upcoming episodes... someone please tell me I'm making this up.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #833 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I can't actually recall seeing any previews for the upcoming episodes... someone please tell me I'm making this up.

Can't say that you haven't seen any Amazon commercials. But the previews are definitely there.

post #834 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Trojan Horse....no way.

Very unstable. Mental illness shouldn't be joked about but sounds like he's suffering from the same thing his mother had.

As for the TV series....they knock off a character per week. Who's the next to go?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #835 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

I wonder if this roughly 40 minutes of show will now become standard for network shows filling an hour. Thats what it is on Amazon Prime. Ive checked others an most are at least 43 minutes.

What do you mean "now become"? For a while now "hour" shows on commercial TV have been around 42 minutes give or take. Also, they usually do not air the end credits in full OR if they do will air them in a small box while they run commercials/promos over it to squeeze in a little.

I can't say exactly when this became the norm... but it has been a while.

FYI, "half hour" programs clock in at 20-21 minutes these days... so it is proportional.

I do have some older TV shows from the late 70s/early 80s... and you had 50-52 minutes in an hour and around 26 minutes per half-hour... I expect it has been a gradual decline rather than a sudden jarring one.

The only reason we haven't seen further shrinking, probably, is because they realized they can run those banner ads while the program is playing... so they haven't tried to squeeze further.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #836 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The runtimes vary from show to show and episode to episode, too. Even cable dramas dip below the 40-minute mark now and then, and certain CW shows do it on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Unless I'm just tired or falling asleep (entirely likely, the show ends at 11pm), the previews for next week's episode aren't actually previews, it's just a commercial for Amazon Prime. I can't actually recall seeing any previews for the upcoming episodes... someone please tell me I'm making this up.

CBS has a nasty habit of showing 90 seconds of spam between the end of the episode and the preview, which usually accompanies the credits (played at triple speed and at one third of their normal size).
post #837 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Should have kept Ollie,interesting character.
post #838 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

Should have kept Ollie,interesting character.
Leon Rippy, from an angel in Saving Grace to a "devil" in Under the Dome. He's certainly one of a kind! smile.gif
post #839 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the Ollie/Jim feud is going to become the Barbie/Jim feud. Theoretically they won't kill Barbie off, so this one should last longer. wink.gif
post #840 of 2536 Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It looks like the Ollie/Jim feud is going to become the Barbie/Jim feud. Theoretically they won't kill Barbie off, so this one should last longer. wink.gif

Although I thought this week's episode was exciting and moved quickly, I was turned off by how easily Big Jim recruited a bunch of town's people to take up arms and risk their lives in order to exercise "eminent domain" over Ollie's land. I can't imagine that nobody Jim approached realized that eminent domain is a power granted only to the state, and certainly not to a single councilman of a one lung municipality. Oh well, it's television, which, I guess, is why I intend to keep watching. In fairness to the writers of the show, Stephen King's novel, which I liked a lot, requires the same sort of suspension of disbelief, although the details were considerably different.
Reply HDTV Programming