Forum Jump: 
 568Likes

post #901 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
More good news for CBS. Under The Dome is the highest rated summer show in 21 years..eek.gif

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/the_under_boss_NViISJdokSG73BCewro5CJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Even my low expectations were severely tested last night .. had to be the worst episode yet .. I'm close to throwing in the towel and just re-reading the book ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #903 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Even my low expectations were severely tested last night .. had to be the worst episode yet .. I'm close to throwing in the towel and just re-reading the book ..

Yeah, the book and the series are so far apart at this point that it makes me hunger for the book. It was soooo much better!

Bobby 

post #904 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

+1

I agree. It's becoming a total mess. One other board has taken to calling it Under the Dumb, and that actually seems to fit pretty well. Under the conditions we have seen established, I would expect people to be hording guns and ammunition, nor turning them in. rolleyes.gif

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #905 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

+1

I agree. It's becoming a total mess. One other board has taken to calling it Under the Dumb, and that actually seems to fit pretty well. Under the conditions we have seen established, I would expect people to be hording guns and ammunition, nor turning them in. rolleyes.gif

And they turned them in so easy .. just a radio announcement by Big Jim and voila .. folks are lined up ..

It's nine days into the Dome and cars are still driving around, there is apparently still plenty of food, clothes are clean and pressed, everyone is fresh faced and men are clean shaven, women have full makeup and great hair .. other than a few crazies, folks are just going about their business ..
taxman48 likes this.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #906 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Agree with the above assessments. I think everyone who has read the book was hoping it would be a more-or-less straight up adaptation. That would have been awesome.

Instead, we've got this. Yes, it's dumb as a rock, but the CBS's strategy was brilliant - just look at the ratings. Even TWC's price war with CBS has barely registered on the Nielsen needle. This thing is a hit. eek.giffrown.gif

What I wonder is, is Steven King actually watching this? He worked on this book, off and on, for 30 years. I would think that's the literary equivilent of watching the child you raised to be the best he can be, with every advantage you could convey, end up as a destitute, drug-addled disaster serving multiple life terms in a federal pen. tongue.gif
post #907 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All I'm asking for is some grit .. and maybe, just maybe, it will start to happen ..

One thing's for sure .. CBS is going to milk this cow

Uncle Willie

post #908 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
What do you think. Is this a one season show like that submarine deal last year or can CBS milk it out for a second. I am all for getting it over in September.
post #909 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

What do you think. Is this a one season show like that submarine deal last year or can CBS milk it out for a second. I am all for getting it over in September.

I thought it had already been renewed .. ?? confused.gif

Uncle Willie

post #910 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
This is turning into another Lost. Only Lost had better acting, plot line (for the most part), location, etc etc etc. Gawd I can't wait for GoT to return.
post #911 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Quote:

I thought it had already been renewed .. ?? confused.gif

It's been renewed; thought all the regulars on this thread were aware of that. CBS made the announcement weeks ago. The resident's of Chester's Mill, TV version, will be living under that Dome for a long time to come.
post #912 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Agree with the above assessments. I think everyone who has read the book was hoping it would be a more-or-less straight up adaptation. That would have been awesome.

Instead, we've got this. Yes, it's dumb as a rock, but the CBS's strategy was brilliant - just look at the ratings. Even TWC's price war with CBS has barely registered on the Nielsen needle. This thing is a hit. eek.giffrown.gif

What I wonder is, is Steven King actually watching this? He worked on this book, off and on, for 30 years. I would think that's the literary equivilent of watching the child you raised to be the best he can be, with every advantage you could convey, end up as a destitute, drug-addled disaster serving multiple life terms in a federal pen. tongue.gif

I think King should be used to that by now. Although I do admit that this show is so bad it makes The Langoliers look good. And I never thought that was possible.
post #913 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

It's nine days into the Dome and cars are still driving around, there is apparently still plenty of food, clothes are clean and pressed, everyone is fresh faced and men are clean shaven, women have full makeup and great hair .. other than a few crazies, folks are just going about their business ..

I hate to defend this idiocy, but still driving cars is actually plausible (minus the potential for greenhouse gases, but the magic dome seems to take care of that. Plus the 5 mile height of the dome). If the dome is only 10 mile across, and not everyone is driving back and forth all day constantly, and most cars get about 300 miles to the tank, that about 30 trips across the dome. I drive 20 miles to work every day (and back), and around the city, and I rarely have to fill up my car more than once per week. Plus, there was probably a hefty supply of gas in the town's gas stations.

Now, if they were being reasonable and planning ahead for long-term isolation, then yeah, rationing gas would be a smart move.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #914 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I think King should be used to that by now. Although I do admit that this show is so bad it makes The Langoliers look good. And I never thought that was possible.

I've seen most of King's adaptations and they were all fairly faithful to the source material. Whether they did a good job with them is another issue. wink.gif

This thing has veered so far away from the book, however, that the only thing it has in common with it anymore is the title. The new character played by 'Justified' and 'The Following' star-babe Natalie Zea, for example, is a completely new character not found in the book at all.

It's easy to say he sold out, I guess, and is laughing all the way to the bank. And that may be the case. Just thought, considering how much of his life he put into the book, he would have wanted it to be more than it is. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in his living room and find out what he really thinks about it.
post #915 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I hate to defend this idiocy, but still driving cars is actually plausible (minus the potential for greenhouse gases, but the magic dome seems to take care of that. Plus the 5 mile height of the dome). If the dome is only 10 mile across, and not everyone is driving back and forth all day constantly, and most cars get about 300 miles to the tank, that about 30 trips across the dome. I drive 20 miles to work every day (and back), and around the city, and I rarely have to fill up my car more than once per week. Plus, there was probably a hefty supply of gas in the town's gas stations.

Now, if they were being reasonable and planning ahead for long-term isolation, then yeah, rationing gas would be a smart move.

I get the plausibility of the cars driving around .. what I'm saying is the sheer degree of normalcy .. I mean, if a town really got trapped under a dome, would it be so amazingly normal after 9 days of it .. ?? Chesters Mill is the new Mayberry .. I expect Aunt Bea to bake a pie next week .. wink.gif

Nothing, nothing, nothing like the book ..

Uncle Willie

post #916 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I get the plausibility of the cars driving around .. what I'm saying is the sheer degree of normalcy .. I mean, if a town really got trapped under a dome, would it be so amazingly normal after 9 days of it .. ?

Depends ... Thanks to an mid-winter ice storm a few years ago, my slightly larger than CM town, faced many of the same real world issues as CM has. No power, no heat and at one point no water since the pumping station lost power too ... roads barely passable ... not total domish isolation, mind you, but close enough. Yet amazingly there were no murders, rapes or looting over the week long period ... perhaps a heated discussion or two at the only barely functioning working kerosene pump in town. Otherwise, it was just people pulling together to slog on through until the power was restored ... the local radio station was even acting as a community "need"/dispatch operation as well as an up to the minute news source for the duration.

Now, I don't know what would have happened if the power hadn't been restored to the pumping station after a couple of days ... things might have gotten dicey pretty quick. wink.gif
post #917 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Depends ... Thanks to an mid-winter ice storm a few years ago, my slightly larger than CM town, faced many of the same real world issues as CM has. No power, no heat and at one point no water since the pumping station lost power too ... roads barely passable ... not total domish isolation, mind you, but close enough. Yet amazingly there were no murders, rapes or looting over the week long period ... perhaps a heated discussion or two at the only barely functioning working kerosene pump in town. Otherwise, it was just people pulling together to slog on through until the power was restored ... the local radio station was even acting as a community "need"/dispatch operation as well as an up to the minute news source for the duration.

Now, I don't know what would have happened if the power hadn't been restored to the pumping station after a couple of days ... things might have gotten dicey pretty quick. wink.gif

Yes, but were you trapped under a Dome of unknown origin where no one could get in or out and had absolutely no contact with the outside World .. ? wink.gif

Uncle Willie

post #918 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

And they turned them in so easy .. just a radio announcement by Big Jim and voila .. folks are lined up ..

As long as they have their cable tv, life goes on.. good post mgkdragn

post #919 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The problem is, all their electric is coming from generators.

I would think one of the first decisions would be to collect all available gas to use for power production.

That would solve multiple problems:

1) They still don't know if they have a renewable air source. How many of those folks know about the little water experiment that was performed?

2) Large generators use several gallons of gas a day. They need to put that first since electricity is vital to food storage, well pumps and other important survival things.

3) It would cut down on looting. Think about it: if you're on foot and can only take what you can carry, you aren't going to take much and aren't going to get far.

post #920 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The previews for next week make it look like the stupidest episode yet. You never know with previews, but that's the way it looked to me. Are the ratings that good because the show is perceived as good, or because it has little competition?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #921 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The previews for next week make it look like the stupidest episode yet. You never know with previews, but that's the way it looked to me. Are the ratings that good because the show is perceived as good, or because it has little competition?

It would be hard to beat last nights episode for a new low, but I suppose they can try .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

post #922 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would be hard to beat last nights episode for a new low, but I suppose they can try ...

It looks like they are putting forth the effort to top themselves. rolleyes.gif

Luke

post #923 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, the ratings are roughly equal to a hit cablenet show about rednecks who make duck calls. What does that tell you? Probably a lot of audience overlap.

Farnsworth wept. frown.gif
post #924 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

Are the ratings that good because the show is perceived as good, or because it has little competition?

CBS Effect.

You could point a camera at a bucket of water for an hour and it would still rate on CBS purely because when the majority of the CBS audience tune in, they never change the channel.

post #925 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

It's nine days into the Dome and cars are still driving around

When I see that I just wonder where are they going? The town isn't that big and everything was looted. I know the diner is open for some stupid reason, but is everyone else still going to work?

post #926 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

When I see that I just wonder where are they going? The town isn't that big and everything was looted. I know the diner is open for some stupid reason, but is everyone else still going to work?

I'd guess in a town the size of Chesters Mill, most all the work is outside the Dome ..

No mail, no Internet, no fresh food, nada, zip, zilch ..

Uncle Willie

post #927 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd guess in a town the size of Chesters Mill, most all the work is outside the Dome ..

No mail, no Internet, no fresh food, nada, zip, zilch ..

But plenty of secrets.....
post #928 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

It would be hard to beat last nights episode for a new low, but I suppose they can try .. tongue.gif
I think they have some sort of contest going between them and the Revolution writers.

They both seem eager to top themselves for stupidity.

I'm starting to wonder if the future of TV viewing is ratings from hate watchers...

post #929 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 129
Every episode of Under the Dome brings us one week closer to Idiocracy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk
post #930 of 2416 Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I've seen most of King's adaptations and they were all fairly faithful to the source material. Whether they did a good job with them is another issue. wink.gif
The exception is "The Running Man." The movie, starring Arnold S., took nothing from King's short story but the title.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page