Forum Jump: 
 578Likes

post #991 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Actually, after posting that, I thought maybe this is their way of starting to build sympathy for the character.

First they had him open up to Angie about his mother and the paintings and then had him get his ass kicked and humiliated in front of the crowd. It's like they now need him to be a likable character moving forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Gigglebytes are part of the same measurement system.
Absolutely. Also in that system of measurements is the metric crap ton, which of course is larger than a standard crap ton.
slowbiscuit likes this.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #993 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Actually, after posting that, I thought maybe this is their way of starting to build sympathy for the character.

First they had him open up to Angie about his mother and the paintings and then had him get his ass kicked and humiliated in front of the crowd. It's like they now need him to be a likable character moving forward.

Since he is now one of the space children I had that thought as well. If the four of them are now the key to removing the dome and ascending to their UFO to repopulate their planet, then Jnr has to become a person worthy of it and having Angie be his space princess.

Am I right in thinking that Jnr hasn't killed anyone on the show? Easier to be redeemed in the eyes of the audience when he isn't a murderer and also one of the major changes from the book.

Jnr going full murdeous nutso is probably the only thing that can redeem that character for me. Then he can be loathed for something other than dragging down the standard of acting.

post #994 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Am I right in thinking that Jnr hasn't killed anyone on the show? Easier to be redeemed in the eyes of the audience when he isn't a murderer and also one of the major changes from the book.

He killed one (or both, can't remember) of the boys who killed Rose and attempted to rape Angie. But he was basically looking for an excuse to kill them.

post #995 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 378
Yeah but that was justified in the eyes of the audience because they were built up to be worse than Junior. Anyone on the show could have got away with killing them.

He hasn't killed anyone that didn't deserve it and apart from fighting Barbie and locking Angie in a basement conveniently out of delusion he hasn't done anything evil either.

post #996 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

He killed one (or both, can't remember) of the boys who killed Rose and attempted to rape Angie. But he was basically looking for an excuse to kill them.

Yeah, it was definitely murder .. did he not shoot one of those boys as he was laying on the ground defenseless .. ??

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #997 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Well there was a lot of people in the fight club, so that's where they are hiding...

Curious they use propane generators instead of gasoline ones.. pretty convenient

Nope, not convienant at all! Remember, Big Jim probably had them all use propane generators because if you listen to the line, he ordered that bulk of propane as a disaster recovery measure so Homeland Security would not get flagged. I he had everyone using propane generators because they knew they had a backup supply, it helped his cover and let him do his other illegal operation. They spelled it all out throughout the show, they just didn't hold your hand and lead you from point A to point B is all.

post #998 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just my own observation--Mare Winningham certainly seems to not have aged well. According to the bio I read, she is 54. As I said, just an observation.
post #999 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
point of interest- I am 66 and probably haven't aged to well either.
post #1000 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

Just my own observation--Mare Winningham certainly seems to not have aged well. According to the bio I read, she is 54. As I said, just an observation.

Did her character really drown? Do we know that for sure.?
post #1001 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post

post #1002 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If drowned it wasn't shown. With her hands tied in front she should have been able to semi dog paddle toward the nearest shore.
post #1003 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I was expecting Big Jim to throw her overboard on purpose or shoot her and then dump the body. It was quite nice of the writers to make her fall out on her own, so he didn't really have to do much. I would guess they don't want to make him seem entirely evil, except that he already killed his accomplice outright.
post #1004 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

The images aren't 1920x1080, so the bugs were probably cropped out of the frames.

Doesn't have to be posted as 1920x1080 in order to still be 16:9. It is all of the image. I went back to my copy to verify the completeness of the image.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those maps. biggrin.gif

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #1005 of 2423 Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've done my best to fix the keystone image of the map, as I only had three clear sides to work with and Photoshop doesn't have a preview mode when doing perspective fixing. You can download it here. It won't be the speediest of downloads.

Looking at the map, the whole issue of the water in the big lake being contaminated with methane is kinda moot when there is West Lake, which is 100% inside the dome. Oops!

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #1006 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

I was expecting Big Jim to throw her overboard on purpose or shoot her and then dump the body. It was quite nice of the writers to make her fall out on her own, so he didn't really have to do much. I would guess they don't want to make him seem entirely evil, except that he already killed his accomplice outright.

I was wondering what he was going to do with her when he got her back to town. Hold her hostage in order to exert leverage on her daughter Max? Isn't holding women against their will what he freaked out about with his son Junior? And what was she going to do with him back at the house? Seems kind of stupid to pull a gun on someone if you really have no intention of shooting them. It looks like neither one of them really thought it through. Or rather, the writers. And don't even get me started on the whole "fight club" thing. What was Junior going to do in there? Try and fight? He didn't even try to defend himself when the dude at the gate decked him for just trying to get inside even though he was clearly the bigger guy. What a wuss.

This show just keeps getting dumber and dumber. Yet I'm still watching. What does that say about me? tongue.gif
post #1007 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 226
Same here arch, it's probably one of the dumbest shows I've ever kept watching. But it's summer and a good laugh just to watch as a train wreck show, plus this is another one the wife likes. I watch it just to make fun of it and she gets mad when I do so while she's intent on finding out what's going to happen next. I keep telling her it all depends on how much money the writers spent on liquor that week.
post #1008 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Looking at the map, the whole issue of the water in the big lake being contaminated with methane is kinda moot when there is West Lake, which is 100% inside the dome. Oops!

Great work.

Looking at hte map, it also appear as if the who or what that made the dome should have sent the thing a few clicks to the East; the majority of Chester's Mill looks like unincorporated farm area, yet the dome cuts off actual houses. Those lucky people on the outside didn't get stuck (but their houses were probably blown away by the MOAB).

post #1009 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

I am assuming that this show follows the standard TV rules, whereby any character who is presumed to be killed, but not actually shown to die, is in fact, not actually dead. They will then reappear at a later date, stepping out of the shadows at the very end of a later episode.
post #1010 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

I am assuming that this show follows the standard TV rules, whereby any character who is presumed to be killed, but not actually shown to die, is in fact, not actually dead. They will then reappear at a later date, stepping out of the shadows at the very end of a later episode.

That's what I'm hoping for .. she seemed like an interesting character and we need at least one .. wink.gif

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1011 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

That's what I'm hoping for .. she seemed like an interesting character and we need at least one .. wink.gif

You figure they wouldn't have cast somebody like Mare Winningham if that character was intended to be a one-off. She'll be bach. To tuhminate Big Jim!
post #1012 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I've done my best to fix the keystone image of the map, as I only had three clear sides to work with and Photoshop doesn't have a preview mode when doing perspective fixing. You can download it here. It won't be the speediest of downloads.

That map can't be correct, the dome edges don't match, the dome should be way smaller, there are many houses near the dome's edge, only a few in that map, the rest of the edges are either on the lake or very far off

I want to see the map of the kid that was doing measuring

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1013 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

And what was she going to do with him back at the house?

She explained that to Big Jim. She was going to sit there with a gun pointed at him all afternoon until her daughter got back. What a brilliant plan! rolleyes.gif
post #1014 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

This show just keeps getting dumber and dumber. Yet I'm still watching. What does that say about me? tongue.gif

I've been thinking the same thing about myself. The monumental stupidity of the writing on Under the Dome makes my head spin and yet I'm still on board. I hate myself but there it is. smile.gif
post #1015 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
read the book and that way you will know what happens. and that way you won't have to waste anymore time viewing what we both agree is a dreadful show.
post #1016 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

read the book and that way you will know what happens. and that way you won't have to waste anymore time viewing what we both agree is a dreadful show.

I myself will purchase the book this week! I'm not sure what happened but this show is awful now. Most of the actors and the writing are well, enough said. I thought after a few minutes into it I was watching a soap opera/novela.
post #1017 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I thought after a few minutes into it I was watching a soap opera/novela.

Soap. Bubble. Hmm. There's a gag they didn't try yet.
post #1018 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

That map can't be correct, the dome edges don't match, the dome should be way smaller, there are many houses near the dome's edge, only a few in that map, the rest of the edges are either on the lake or very far off

I want to see the map of the kid that was doing measuring
What are you referring to in regards to houses near the dome?

The populated area of Chester's Mill (which is in the lower right) is covered by a person's hands (which would be where those houses at the edge would be). You can't see that part of the map to be able to assess how many houses might be there. The populated area toward the North is not the town of Chester's Mill and not somplace we've ever seen in the show.

post #1019 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I myself will purchase the book this week! I'm not sure what happened but this show is awful now. Most of the actors and the writing are well, enough said. I thought after a few minutes into it I was watching a soap opera/novela.

I have read Stephen King's terrific book upon which this dreadful TV series is based a couple of times, most recently within the past few weeks. I have decided to stick with the TV show only because I remain curious as to how it can continue to deteriorate. It' like watching a train wreck. Barring a miracle, I won't be around for a Season 2. Only Dean Norris, as Big Jim, seems able to breathe a little life into his character. Even the beautiful and elegant Natalie Zea has been awful. Bad writing usually spells doom even to those shows with strong ensemble casts. Not to put too fine a point on it, Under the Dome lacks that.
post #1020 of 2423 Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That map can't be correct,

Well, it is an officially produced map. It had to have gotten approval by someone of importance. biggrin.gif

Mr. Video

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page