AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

How does it rate against "The Stand"?

While I liked the mini series, I had read the book a couple times prior so I was a bit biased

I am hoping that the big budget adaptation that Ben Affleck is supposedly trying to bring to the big screen works out at some point ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
King did an article in the new EW about the show. He said they are changing a LOT from the book, but keystone moments will remain. Sounds like they had to change a lot for a TV format but he approved all changes, casting, etc.

post #93 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I think most would say that Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is the best film based on a Stephen King book but King has always hated it because of the liberties Kubrick took with King's story. Liberties or not, I love The Shining. I watched my BD of the picture again a couple of weeks ago.

It's a spooky movie with lots of iconic scenes and a suitably grim ending but I wouldn't rate it as a faithful adaptation of the book. The most faithful of the movie/book combinations I've seen are the less supernatural works like Shawshank. They capture the tone without sacrificing too much of the story. The bigger or more horrific the story the more likely the movie version deviates.

I still have a soft spot for the 79 Salem's Lot miniseries though.

post #94 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

King did an article in the new EW about the show. He said they are changing a LOT from the book, but keystone moments will remain. Sounds like they had to change a lot for a TV format but he approved all changes, casting, etc.

And that doesn't give me much hope when I read it. If this had been on Showtime as originally planned I would have better expectations of something more shocking and daring, on CBS I'm expecting the same dramatic level that was given to Desperation.

post #95 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

How does it rate against "The Stand"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

While I liked the mini series, I had read the book a couple times prior so I was a bit biased

I am hoping that the big budget adaptation that Ben Affleck is supposedly trying to bring to the big screen works out at some point ..
My expectations are set pretty low for that, but If it starts off with a long continuous shot of dead infected bodies with "Don't Fear The Reaper" playing- I'll be pretty happy biggrin.gif
mgkdragn likes this.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #96 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
My favorite adaptation of a King book will most likely forever be The Green Mile. Shawshank is up there, but they changed a bit much for my liking. Kubrick's Shining is OK, but is nothing like the book. King's movie version of The Shining was lower budget, but very good. I loved The Mist story, but never saw the movie. How drastically different is the movie ending from the book? The book's ending was pretty bleak.

Seeing the video for Dont Fear the Reaper brought back memories. Lots of good music in King movies (and in his books). My favorite song in The Stand miniseries was this scene:
post #97 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I loved The Mist story, but never saw the movie. How drastically different is the movie ending from the book? The book's ending was pretty bleak.

If you think the book ending is bleak, you'll probably want to give up on humanity and never go outside again after seeing the movie version.

post #98 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

My favorite adaptation of a King book will most likely forever be The Green Mile. Shawshank is up there, but they changed a bit much for my liking. Kubrick's Shining is OK, but is nothing like the book. King's movie version of The Shining was lower budget, but very good.]

Frank Darabont's Shawshank and The Green Mile are in my Top Ten favorite films. As much as I love The Shining, I readily agree that The Green Mile and Shawshank were better.
post #99 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I personally believe "The Mist" is one of the best King adaptations ..
My problem with the Mist is, the ending seemed to come out of nowhere. They weren't out there long and there was no immediate threat at that point. There were other options.

Now, if a hoard of monsters were bearing down on them at the time, maybe I'd be OK with it. It just seemed like they didn't justify the ending well enough and it felt lazy instead of shocking.

The ending just seemed to me to be a way to avoid a happy ending for the sake of avoiding a happy ending when the book served up a perfectly good unhappy ending. Honestly, based on the outcome, it seemed pointless to carry the characters past the point of the book. It made the movie longer for no reason.
post #100 of 1891 Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

If you think the book ending is bleak, you'll probably want to give up on humanity and never go outside again after seeing the movie version.

I just watched the movie ending, the alternate ending, and something entitled the original ending (which I guess lines up with the book). I hated the movie ending, thought the alternate ending wasn't satisfying enough, and really loved the "original ending". It's all on Youtube btw if anyone wants to see it. It's all bleak regardless, but yeah the movie ending isn't setup well enough at all. There needed to be a real threat to justify that.
post #101 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I am surprised so many writers from Lost are on this show and I forgot Spielberg is involved. This gives me a little more hope.

post #102 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am surprised so many writers from Lost are on this show and I forgot Spielberg is involved. This gives me a little more hope.

Even bad King movies are good in cheesy ways. Maximum Overdrive is a horrendous great movie.
post #103 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even bad King movies are good in cheesy ways. Maximum Overdrive is a horrendous great movie.

That is one of my favorite King movies.

post #104 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I can see it now. People attempt to dig their way under the dome, and they encounter a big sewer pipe. They break through the pipe, crawl in, float downstream, and wind up at a glowing cave filled with dancing polar bears. Some mis-shapen little guy with a glowing finger hands them a bag of Reeses Pieces and change for the pay phone.

Are you sure writers from "Lost" are a good thing?
post #105 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post

I can see it now. People attempt to dig their way under the dome, and they encounter a big sewer pipe. They break through the pipe, crawl in, float downstream, and wind up at a glowing cave filled with dancing polar bears. Some mis-shapen little guy with a glowing finger hands them a bag of Reeses Pieces and change for the pay phone.

Are you sure writers from "Lost" are a good thing?

As long as they use the guys from the first 5 seasons. I'm convinced they fired them all and brought in a whole new batch for the sixth.
post #106 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Or they dig and dig and dig, give up at certain depth.... (and little they know they were maybe 1ft from the domes "edge" LOL that would be funny)

Anyway food and water shortage will be an issue, haven't read the book but it seems oxygen is not a problem

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #107 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Anyway food and water shortage will be an issue, haven't read the book but it seems oxygen is not a problem

Actually, it sorta' is. But not in the way you think. wink.gif

Remember - the dome is slightly permeable to air, mostly permeable to sound, and fully permeable to radio waves.
post #108 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 327
post #109 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Spielberg was involved with Terra Nova, too. Still, I have hope that UTD will turn out better than average. The TV version of The Langoliers was terribly stretched out.
post #110 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Spielberg has a rocky track record with his TV-approved involvements. Most of the time the shows err more to his over-sentimental side which I am not fond of.

post #111 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I cant remember liking many Spielberg TV programs. Except Young Indiana Jones. I loved that series.
baja7475 likes this.
post #112 of 1891 Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Remember - the dome is slightly permeable to air, mostly permeable to sound, and fully permeable to radio waves.
Well, those last two might have been changed for this production. We'll see in a few days.
post #113 of 1891 Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarg7883 View Post

Spielberg was involved with Terra Nova, too. Still, I have hope that UTD will turn out better than average. The TV version of The Langoliers was terribly stretched out.

We loved Tera Nova so no problems there.

post #114 of 1891 Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 162
And it died after the first season, I bailed on it way before that when it was apparent that the scifi had very little to do with the teen angst story. Terra Nova was another in a long line of good scifi ideas gone bad on network TV.

We're in for a watch of this one, but the King adaptations to TV have been a mixed bag.
post #115 of 1891 Old 06-24-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

For what it is worth, some the reviews are coming in and are fairly positive. I didn't post any as most contain a few spoilers of what happens in the first episode, but they say it is good and worth the ride.

post #116 of 1891 Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I still can't see how they can leave it open-ended for potential seasons to follow. The book has a fairly finite end. But King seems to be down with the plan, so....
post #117 of 1891 Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:

My favorite adaptation of a King book will most likely forever be The Green Mile. Shawshank is up there, but they changed a bit much for my liking.
What from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption changed that was too much for your tastes? If I recall, the only major differences are that Andy doesn't start digging the hole until his 20th anniversary instead of right away (still takes him 19 years), and that they merged all of the wardens into one character. Other than that, it is shockingly faithful.

Under the Dome reminds me of The Simpsons movie, I hope there is a clever nod in that direction wink.gif

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #118 of 1891 Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

What from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption changed that was too much for your tastes? If I recall, the only major differences are that Andy doesn't start digging the hole until his 20th anniversary instead of right away (still takes him 19 years), and that they merged all of the wardens into one character. Other than that, it is shockingly faithful.

Under the Dome reminds me of The Simpsons movie, I hope there is a clever nod in that direction wink.gif

3 wardens merged into one. The manner in which Andy gets the money for post-jail life is dramatically different, as is what happens to the warden at the end of each. To me, the book was far more satisfying. Still a great movie.
post #119 of 1891 Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Since the show premiers tonight and most of the posters in this topic seem to be familiar with King's novels, should we rename this the "Warning! Spoilers Allowed!" topic and create a new one to serve as the "NO Spoilers or Book Discussion" thread? I imagine the readers will want to immediately start comparing the show to the book, while others will want to discuss the pilot on its own.
post #120 of 1891 Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Since the show premiers tonight and most of the posters in this topic seem to be familiar with King's novels, should we rename this the "Warning! Spoilers Allowed!" topic and create a new one to serve as the "NO Spoilers or Book Discussion" thread? I imagine the readers will want to immediately start comparing the show to the book, while others will want to discuss the pilot on its own.

If it becomes real active and the spoilers are an issue, we may consider it.

Personally, I don't have much recollection of any specifics in the book (except the ending and the nature of the dome itself), so I don't feel the need to compare or judge one vs. the other. Plus, there's not any mythology involved, or anything like that, that would make straying from the book story line very relevant.

Book = Dome > people cope inside > ending
TV = Dome > people cope inside > People keep coping inside
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page