Forum Jump: 
 687Likes

post #1171 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I'm more interested to see if anyone gives a damn when this comes back. It's going to have to be a great cliffhanger (Egg SMASH!) to keep viewers mulling the show over for a year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't care if it comes back but am stuck waiting to see if the dome comes down this season, ether way I out there.
post #1173 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Typical, so then they can continue to pass it off as this huge hit even though it has no competition. rolleyes.gif

The other networks are free to air their own counter-programming if they so choose. CBS doesn't have the monopoly on Summer Monday evening sci-fi dramas.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1174 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The sheriff seems to have completely forgotten Jim's transgressions, being involved with Maxine (who is dead) and not even remotely suspicious of Big Jim... which is weird under the circumstances... her character is really being portrayed as easily swayed and ineffectual. I could understand if other people came to her and said something about Barbie... but Jim shouldn't have a lot of credibility with her... too much weird stuff going on...

They should have called this week EGGsigent Circumstances smile.gif

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1175 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 185
They really need to rename it "Under the Dumb" .
The citizens of Chester's Mill have to be the most easily duped, quick to judge and even quicker to convict without proof- fools on TV.
OK- the radio station burned down... instead of "lets launch an investigation- maybe determine if it was arson- and maybe get an idea of who did it" we get an instant "Barbie must of done it" then straight to "Barbie burnt down the radio station and killed Dody!" without a shred of proof. Didn't anyone even attempt to examine the body? Gunshot wound anyone???
Like I said.. "Under the Dumb"!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1176 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The death of Dodee revealed the new power of the Dome.

Cranial force-fields.

No matter how close you are standing to someone in Chester's Mill, when you fire a gun it will always miss their head and fly into the upper chest. Julia, Max, Dodee, the rapey-guy ... the Dome needs brains intact.

post #1177 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Rapey-guy. LMAO!

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #1178 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

Typical, so then they can continue to pass it off as this huge hit even though it has no competition. rolleyes.gif

They have clearly said it is the hit of the SUMMER. The ratings are solid for this show. if no one else is going to put anything on, then it will continue to be a hit and they have ever right to claim that.

post #1179 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

OK- the radio station burned down... instead of "lets launch an investigation- maybe determine if it was arson- and maybe get an idea of who did it" we get an instant "Barbie must of done it" then straight to "Barbie burnt down the radio station and killed Dody!" without a shred of proof.

They didn't even bother to show us the radio station being extinguished, or by whom. Yet, back in episode 2, the sheriff's house burned down and that was a town emergency.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1180 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When Big Jim was on the phone reporting in, he said the bucket brigade was mobilizing just off-camera. If you close your eyes you can almost see the townsfolk rushing to assist, packing buckets, pans, mugs, thimbles and other heavy duty fire fighting gear.

post #1181 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #1182 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

When Big Jim was on the phone reporting in, he said the bucket brigade was mobilizing just off-camera. If you close your eyes you can almost see the townsfolk rushing to assist, packing buckets, pans, mugs, thimbles and other heavy duty fire fighting gear.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I wonder how they all made it to the fire to fight it? Magical slippers would be my guess. There is no petrol or very little petrol left? rolleyes.gif
post #1183 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
Not if the one eye is blind, too...then he's a blind guy with only one eye...
post #1184 of 2536 Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I'm glad you mentioned that. I wonder how they all made it to the fire to fight it? Magical slippers would be my guess. There is no petrol or very little petrol left? rolleyes.gif
There's plenty of gas to drive places, as long as the need for drama doesn't require someone to be out of it.
post #1185 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Good article about the last episode of the Dome.

Contains spoilers so read at your own risk. Does explain how the military knows things, why the mini Dome was acting up, etc. Good info but also teases a few things from the final episode.

Again, could be considered spoiler since it discusses the latest episode, so I will just post a link.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/going-under-dome-neal-baer-answers-burning-questions-203500875.html

post #1186 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If that article is an indication, then it's no surprise that the show is rating highly despite it being totally moronic.

Almost every question asked and answered comes from the "stating the obvious" department and most are answered within the episode. That entire "article" is more like a puff piece of marketing by TV Guide.

post #1187 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not a spoiler, but this quote from the article explains all:
Quote:
(Full disclosure: TVGuide.com is owned by CBS.)
smile.gif
post #1188 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The other networks are free to air their own counter-programming if they so choose. CBS doesn't have the monopoly on Summer Monday evening sci-fi dramas.

Not saying they can't, but to pass it off as being a huge hit when it's up against reruns really isn't indicative of how popular it is.

Put it up against stiff competition and then lets see how many viewers keep this garbage afloat.
post #1189 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
We know the military has drones flying over already, so they must have witnessed most of Big Jim's murders by now, also explains why they aren't just outside the wall, they don't need to.

I bet the secretary of defense wants to have this technology, will be a nice advantage against china/N. Korea

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1190 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not saying they can't, but to pass it off as being a huge hit when it's up against reruns really isn't indicative of how popular it is.

Put it up against stiff competition and then lets see how many viewers keep this garbage afloat.

It is a huge hit of the summer. Its not its fault its up against weak competition. If it was up against better shows, then it couldn't say that but it is and the ratings point to it being a huge hit. In addition, just because it is up against weak competition, does not mean America is forced to watch the show just because the competitioion, they are free to turn off the TV or turn to something on cable, watch a movie, etc. but no they are turning in. Just because a show has weak competition doens't mean it gurantees it is a hit, people have to still come back because they are enjoying what they are watching. If they didn't like it or hate it, they wouldn't turn it on because oh well, I hate it, but nothing else to watch. There are hundreds of channels, movies, DVD, DVR recordings of other shows, on-demand, pay-per view, read a book, play a game, etc. but no, they tune in.

post #1191 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone going to read Stephen King's new novel Doctor sleep, the sequel to the Shining? We are, it is already pre-ordered, we own every King novel and have multiple books shelves dedicated to his stuff. Looking forward to this new book. EW has an article on it in their mag from last week and an excerpt from the novel. Sounds cool.

post #1192 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

It is a huge hit of the summer. Its not its fault its up against weak competition. If it was up against better shows, then it couldn't say that but it is and the ratings point to it being a huge hit. In addition, just because it is up against weak competition, does not mean America is forced to watch the show just because the competitioion, they are free to turn off the TV or turn to something on cable, watch a movie, etc. but no they are turning in. Just because a show has weak competition doens't mean it gurantees it is a hit, people have to still come back because they are enjoying what they are watching. If they didn't like it or hate it, they wouldn't turn it on because oh well, I hate it, but nothing else to watch. There are hundreds of channels, movies, DVD, DVR recordings of other shows, on-demand, pay-per view, read a book, play a game, etc. but no, they tune in.

True, but it does help .. if it were up against the Fall lineup, it probably would not have done as well ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1193 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:

Is anyone going to read Stephen King's new novel Doctor sleep, the sequel to the Shining? We are, it is already pre-ordered, we own every King novel and have multiple books shelves dedicated to his stuff. Looking forward to this new book. EW has an article on it in their mag from last week and an excerpt from the novel. Sounds cool.

In my Amazon cart for pre-order ..

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Sleep-Novel-Stephen-King/dp/1476727651/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379002701&sr=8-1&keywords=Doctor+sleep

less than 2 weeks away ..

The plot synopsis sounds great ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1194 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

The dome is going to give everyone a Plug-In Prius... it's good for 12-16 miles on a charge.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1195 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

True, but it does help .. if it were up against the Fall lineup, it probably would not have done as well ..

If it was against true fall shows, this would probably of been a failure and cancelled. They were smart to put it out in the summer.

post #1196 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
As for the ratings... sure it is a bit of a cheat to call something the "hit of the summer"... but this happens ALL the time.

Movies say "the hit comedy of the summer" when it is the ONLY comedy playing... and during the traditional season, networks all the time intentionally avoid competing against shows that they think will beat them in ratings. IF every network put their best show against the best show of the other networks, then there would only be one best show... it just makes sense to put things in the place where you think you will get the most attention.

It's why the hot dog vendor doesn't park his cart in front of the gourmet hot dog place... he goes to a part of town where there are fewer choices so that he can corner a market without necessarily having the best food option possible, just the best option convenient to where those people are located.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1197 of 2536 Old 09-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

If it was against true fall shows, this would probably of been a failure and cancelled. They were smart to put it out in the summer.

Every now and then a summer replacement show is great. Remember Wise Guy. It went a little off the rails towards the end of it's run, but great characters, know what I mean, Buckwheat? Any other great ones come to anyone's mind?
post #1198 of 2536 Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
On another forum my wife read the show was a hit, at least at the beginning of the season, because it was announced the show would go only 13 episodes. And that was a plus for me. And then when the program became a big hit the producers or whoever decided to extend it. Unfortunately that negated the reason the program became a hit in the first place.
post #1199 of 2536 Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 265
Yep, it's going to get stupider and stupider now that they have to extend the Big Jim as Satan plot. Never should have gone past one season.
post #1200 of 2536 Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Many of us were saying that from the get-go. A straight-up adaptation of the book would have been a terrific summertime series. Instead, we got this muddled, meandering mess designed to end on a big cliffhanger (the execution of Barbie) and get 'em coming back for more next summer. Such a shame. This could have been a new kind of television from the broadcast dinosaurs - the closed-ended midi-series, that would add to the variety of the TV landscape. Instead, it's just more of the same-old, same-old.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page