Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Yeah, I'll watch season 2. Btw, when does it start?

Monday, June 30

2100 Central Time

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2536 Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I think I'm out...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #1353 of 2536 Old 05-11-2014, 01:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I'm out, as well.
post #1354 of 2536 Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Anyone actually going to watch season 2? I think I'm out. It was my understanding--maybe I was wrong from the get-go--that this was a one time mini-series. I liked that concept and that's actually what got me to watch. But now that it is extended and being dragged on further than it already was, I've lost interest. Even more so with the cliché alien revelation.

They were clear from the start that it would be an on-going series if ratings did well.

I am definitely in, it was entertaining and enjoyable.

post #1355 of 2536 Old 05-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'll watch the final season on Netflix - if they wrapped it up before getting cancelled.
post #1356 of 2536 Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

+1
It started out well enough- and went straight down hill after that.
I think my wife's out, I'll start season 2, but if the sillyness resumes- I'm out too.

I'm just the opposite, I thought the season started out too dreary and got more fun by the end. I'm more in the campy camp and like a show that doesn't take itself too seriously. I'll give season two a shot, at the very least CBS has an excellent VOD section on their website so I can watch it even if I miss the CBS appointment. cool.gif
post #1357 of 2536 Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg View Post

Quote:

+1
It started out well enough- and went straight down hill after that.
I think my wife's out, I'll start season 2, but if the sillyness resumes- I'm out too.

I'm just the opposite, I thought the season started out too dreary and got more fun by the end. I'm more in the campy camp and like a show that doesn't take itself too seriously.

The word "camp" is thrown around far too often. There is nothing "camp" about the style of Dome. The writers want you to take it as a serious drama, with serious characters and in a serious situation. When something ridiculous happens on screen it doesn't make it camp. Just bad.

Hercules and Xena were "camp", the Adam West Batman was the epitome of camp, even episodes of Doctor Who and Farscape were camp. When the characters are more winking caricatures than people, the music is peppy and the world bordering on cartoon colorful then you know you have a camp TV show. When everyone is approaching the situation with grim deference, the music is dramatic and the world bleak and despondent, you have the exact opposite. On Dome nobody is laughing, except the audience, and that's for the wrong reasons.
archiguy, gwsat and WilliamR like this.

post #1358 of 2536 Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 683
^^^ spot on .. now, can I get your definition of "cheese" .. ?? wink.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1359 of 2536 Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

On Dome nobody is laughing, except the audience, and that's for the wrong reasons.
I'm past laughing and are now at the rolling eyes stage... next step is to discontinue watching.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1360 of 2536 Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 550
VisionOn has it right. When I think of "camp" the example that first comes to mind is the wonderfully funny but exciting and kind of gross, Starship Troopers. Under the Dome is no Starship Troopers.
post #1361 of 2536 Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When I think of camp, my mind connects to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" .. tongue.gif

It's not to late for the producers to spin the show the camp direction .. or even a comedy ..

"The wacky exploits of a gang of loveable small town folks that accidentally get trapped under an Alien dome .. "

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale ... tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1362 of 2536 Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

I'm past laughing and are now at the rolling eyes stage... next step is to discontinue watching.

I was there last year at ep 3.
Maybe it'll be a trend wink.gif

I didn't view what I saw as camp or cheese, just bad tongue.gif badly written with characters doing nonsensical things. so I don't need to delete it from my record list, it's already done wink.gif

Steve
post #1363 of 2536 Old 05-13-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

VisionOn has it right. When I think of "camp" the example that first comes to mind is the wonderfully funny but exciting and kind of gross, Starship Troopers. Under the Dome is no Starship Troopers.
It should be pointed out that Starship Troopers was intened to lampoon that whole "Uncle Sam Needs You" type of nationlistic pride that comes from a society of people being attacked and the "urge to serve" that happens in the aftermath.

It also makes fun of those propaganda films that have been used over the decades to remind everyone that they're "on the side of right" when they head off to battle as well as give civilians a false sense of security that the vast firepower of the enemy is no match for a desk or a picnic blanket.

The movie shows that contrast from the early rush and eagerness to sign up to serve to what really happens in battle to earn you all those medals.

In short, it gets away with making a political statement about warfare by making the enemy aliens instead of Nazis. That's the beauty of SciFi: you can make astatement about all kinds of social issues without most people noticing.
post #1364 of 2536 Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to say that I just watched all available episodes of under the dome (via Amazon prime) around the same time as the new shows helix, the 100, and star crossed (all on dvr or on demand).

Of these, I actually am finding "the 100" to be the best / most captivating.
The plot line is almost realistic, and so far, no real silliness.

Under the dome strikes me as if im watching a remake of Lost all over again, and we all know how that degraded over time and "lost" viewers. Lol
post #1365 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
If Lost started out stupid, sure. But Lost was good for five seasons then ended stupid. I'm sure Dome will be stupid from beginning to end.
post #1366 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

If Lost started out stupid, sure. But Lost ended stupid and I'm sure Dome will be stupid from beginning to end.

So far, you'd be right .. tongue.gif

Uncle Willie

post #1367 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #1368 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Baer reiterated that the series -- initially billed as a limited "event" show -- can last for 15 seasons

This is the funniest thing I've read in quite a while.

post #1369 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless they really up their game... it may not make it past mid season 2014/5 no less 15 seasons rolleyes.gif

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1370 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93

I'm really on the fence. While I liked the way season 1 started, towards the end and especially scenes with Junior got downright laughable. We trudged though the end of season 1 but no one else in my family wants to even get started in season 2. I've already got several things that only I'll watch so I think I'll end up just deleting my SP, my HDD is getting kind of full anyway. If season 2 is anything like the end half?? of season 1 it will just not be worth the time.

post #1371 of 2536 Old 05-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
^^^^ I am on the same fence. Since King wrote the 1st new episode, I am gonna give it a view. And decide from there.
post #1372 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

Unless they really up their game... it may not make it past mid season 2014/5 no less 15 seasons rolleyes.gif

torture comes to mind

Steve
post #1373 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Funny that so many of you write about how much you don't care for the show and won't watch any more episodes, yet stay subscribed to this thread and complain.

It's seem to me that if you didn't like it, you'd unsubscribe from this thread and that would be the end of it.

So there is something different to you about this "Dome" thing and makes you not want to quit.........
WilliamR likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1374 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Funny that so many of you write about how much you don't care for the show and won't watch any more episodes, yet stay subscribed to this thread and complain.

It's seem to me that if you didn't like it, you'd unsubscribe from this thread and that would be the end of it.

So there is something different to you about this "Dome" thing and makes you not want to quit.........

Amen. Unbelievable how many people say they hate the show and are out yet still post all the time in the thread show they supposedly hate.
JimP likes this.

post #1375 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I don't "subscribe" to this thread, I'm only someone who has a SP but am rethinking it for the new season. Didn't realize this thread was for "fan boys" only. Have fun complimenting the show, hope you enjoy the new season, as long as it lasts.....

post #1376 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With your post count and time on AVS, I would think you'd have noticed that's essentially a trend in many TV show threads .. especially anything that deals with Sci Fi ..

And, your complaint is a common one and has been for a long time ..

People are going to post where they want, when they want, and in whatever thread they want ..

Show threads are not just for trumpeting how great something is ..

Uncle Willie

post #1377 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:

Yeah, based on how underwhelming Season 1 was, I think the showrunners had better be worried about getting to Season 3, let alone Season 15.
replayrob and 10aosmer like this.
post #1378 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yeah, based on how underwhelming Season 1 was, I think the showrunners had better be worried about getting to Season 3, let alone Season 15.

You know, I guess those of us like me, that are essentially waiting for Season 2 Episode One just to get a taste of what the 2nd season may hold (which may just be the high point since King wrote it) ..

If the ratings hold up as well as they did last Summer, the show is going to be around a while ..

I guess we'll probably not see any guest appearance of Dean Norris on "Better Can Saul" ... wink.gif

EDIT

Uncle Willie

post #1379 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess there's quite a few of us here "on the fence" with The Dome.
If quickly becomes "Under The Dumb" we're out...

post #1380 of 2536 Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Subscriber here.

Frequent poster here.

Someone who plans on watching season 2, at least to see if it goes anywhere, here.

Someone who thinks the direction of season 1 was less than exemplary, here.

If I truly truly truly hated the show, I would stop posting entirely and delete my DVR recordings. I ended up doing that for Revolution this season, which I recorded all the way up to about the halfway point but never watched, threw one last "Should I catch up?" post in it's thread, was met with "meh", and that was the end of it. I don't enjoy sticking around in threads for shows I have no interest in. I'd wager that most of the other people who claim to "hate" shows feel the same as I do.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page