post #1441 of 2548 Old 06-09-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Last summer season, things seemed fairly barren but this year there does seem to be more new show selection

'Halt & Catch Fire'
'The Leftovers'
'Dominion'
'The Last Ship'
'Extant'
'The Strain'
'Outlander'
'Crossbones'
Thanks for the above list... I already like 'Halt & Catch Fire' and have added all the rest except 'Crossbones' to my sickbeard list!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2548 Old 06-11-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 270
'Under the Dome' EP Brian K. Vaughan Exits
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Jun. 10, 2014

EXCLUSIVE: CBS' monster hit Under the Dome is losing one of its key players.

Writer/executive producer Brian K. Vaughan has exited the summer sci-fi series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Vaughan was handpicked by exec producer Steven Spielberg to adapt Stephen King's best-seller when Dome was in development at Showtime. When the premium cable network passed on it and the sci-fi show about a town trapped under a mysterious dome was picked up straight to series at CBS, veteran producer Neal Baer (ER) was brought in as showrunner.

Sources tell THR that it was Vaughan's decision to exit the series; he arced out season two with Baer before his departure. Vaughan penned the pilot episode as well as two other installments, including the season finale, which he co-wrote with Scott Gold. Vaughan's decision to exit the series was described as amicable, with the veteran comics scribe said to be more interested in returning to focus on his graphic novel roots. Dome was Vaughan's first TV gig since he served as producer, writer and exec story editor on ABC's Lost.

On the comics side, Vaughan launched his newest comic, the critically praised Saga, in 2012. His credits include the acclaimed Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina and Runaways.

"Right after we finished season one of Under the Dome, our showrunner Neal Baer and I had the amazing honor of working with Stephen King himself to help plot the new direction of our second season. It was one of the best experiences of my creative life, but it was also a really long time to be apart from my family, who I've seen way too little of since I started helping to develop Dome years ago, so I decided to step away from the show," Vaughan said in a statement. "I really miss the cast and crew, but it's awesome to get to see my kids again and catch up on my comic-book deadlines. I'm very grateful that CBS and Amblin gave me this opportunity to help adapt one of the best novels ever by my lifelong hero, and I'm excited to watch all of my friends' hard work come to life in a few weeks."

Dome was a breakout hit for CBS last summer. The drama, which was billed as a limited "event" series, launched to a summer best with a 3.2 rating among adults 18-49 and 13.1 million total viewers, ranking as the biggest audience for a drama launch in the past year. CBS touted Dome during May's upfront presentation as the 2013-14 TV season's most-watched new broadcast series and one of the three most-watched dramas in the world (joining NCIS and CSI). Vaughan, who spoke regularly about the series, was not among the panelists at CBS' Summer Press Day in May, where Baer was the lone producer on the panel.

In a September interview with THR following the critically maligned season-one finale, Vaughan said he was "proud" of what the series had accomplished and vowed that its sophomore run would be different. Asked if there was anything he would have done differently creatively, Vaughan said: "I think there are always things -- the speed that you'd put together a new show with and the fact that we had 13 episodes just about completed in their entirety before one had even aired. Looking back, sure, there are always things you'd do differently. For the most part, we concentrate on the parts of the show that we really liked and challenge ourselves to do something new next season."

Season two of Under the Dome kicks off Monday, June 30. King, who has a cameo in the premiere, penned the return episode and continues to be an exec producer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/under-dome-brian-k-vaughan-exits-710573

post #1443 of 2548 Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 740
... the premiere includes two characters’ deaths; the new season will also add Brett Cullen (Person of Interest) as Barbie’s father, actor-musician Dwight Yoakam as a Chester’s Mill barber, and Eddie Cahill (CSI: NY) as Big Jim’s brother-in-law.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1444 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Can ‘Under the Dome’ do it again?
The returning CBS drama set all sorts of records last summer
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Jun. 30, 2014

CBS’s hit drama “Under the Dome” finally returns for its second season tonight at 10 p.m., and the big question is whether the show can maintain its momentum.

“Dome” finished as summer’s highest-rated show in both 18-49s and total viewers last year, becoming the highest-rated new summer scripted series in two decades.

Like many shows these days, its ratings faded during the second half of the season, and so there’s little reason to expect tonight’s return will match the 3.3 adults 18-49 Nielsen rating or 13.5 million total viewers who tuned in to last year’s bow.

Still, it should easily win its timeslot and likely be the No. 1 show on a night where reality has ruled so far this summer on broadcast.

“Dome” will also kickstart CBS’s summer schedule after a slow beginning.

The network waited until last week to roll out any original shows, and it has gotten good results so far with “Big Brother” up over last year.

On Sunday night CBS premiered the new drama “Reckless,” and next week its biggest-buzz new series, the Halle Berry thriller “Extant,” returns.

Expect there to be a lot of ads for “Extant” on tonight’s “Dome” premiere. If “Extant” is successful, that would give CBS two hit summer dramas, which no broadcast network has pulled off in a long, long time.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/can...e-do-it-again/

post #1445 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
... the premiere includes two characters’ deaths; the new season will also add Brett Cullen (Person of Interest) as Barbie’s father, actor-musician Dwight Yoakam as a Chester’s Mill barber, and Eddie Cahill (CSI: NY) as Big Jim’s brother-in-law.
New characters? Is there a "one way" entrance into the dome that we haven's seen yet?
Kind of like the old "Lost in Space" series where new characters would somehow come and go every week, but the poor Robinson's were still stuck on the planet with no way to leave.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1446 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
New characters? Is there a "one way" entrance into the dome that we haven's seen yet?
Kind of like the old "Lost in Space" series where new characters would somehow come and go every week, but the poor Robinson's were still stuck on the planet with no way to leave.
I heard they hatch from an egg ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1447 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 105
As a season 1 season pass holder I'm going to bow out this season, I've removed my SP. Things were getting pretty weird towards the end of season 1 but I figured since it was only a 1 season show I'd stick it out, well I'm not going to continue where we left off. Besides I really don't like how they are milking the whole thing out, if it was originally supposed to be a 1 season show then let it be done. I wish you guys luck with the show
post #1448 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 786
I'll probably tune in to the first S-2 episode just because King wrote it. And I can't deny I'm curious to see what they might have done to get this train wreck back on the rails. Maybe nothing, as CBS was quite happy with the ratings. The show is probably critic-proof at this point.
post #1449 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think King has been reading some GRRM.
gwsat likes this.
post #1450 of 2548 Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 870
That was interesting. Although I don't know what was going on there at the end.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1451 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Didn't see that ending coming. Nice cameo by King though.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #1452 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why in the world do you think you saw every single person underneath the dome. We have seen a small fraction of the number of people in town. The dome covers a large area, there are many houses, residents, cabins, etc. etc. we haven't seen plus just the shear number of people in the town itself. There are a LOT of people we have not seen, expect many more to show up, that is what happens when there are hundreds if not a thousand people under the dome and you have seen a few dozen of them.

post #1453 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Didn't see that ending coming. Nice cameo by King though.
Yes. What the heck was that at the end?
phildaant likes this.

LED DLP
post #1454 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Why in the world do you think you saw every single person underneath the dome. We have seen a small fraction of the number of people in town. The dome covers a large area, there are many houses, residents, cabins, etc. etc. we haven't seen plus just the shear number of people in the town itself. There are a LOT of people we have not seen, expect many more to show up, that is what happens when there are hundreds if not a thousand people under the dome and you have seen a few dozen of them.
Didn't the show runner mention in season one that Chesters mill has thousands of people? I thought it was 10K to 20K, but I can't find the quote.

LED DLP
post #1455 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. What the heck was that at the end?
I think S. King likes axe killing murderers on his books...

Wow two of the best looking women in town are now gone... shame, well I am more of a Julia Shumway loving guy..
phildaant likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1456 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why in the world do you think you saw every single person underneath the dome....
It's not that, but it's the now common... "we haven't seen him/her in years" thing that gets me.
It's like all these "lost" people were somehow living in the small town but unbeknownst to the town folk (I guess they don't pay taxes/vote/go to dr's/dentists, DMV, have cable, etc..) and they suddenly show up out of nowhere.

post #1457 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It's not that, but it's the now common... "we haven't seen him/her in years" thing that gets me.
It's like all these "lost" people were somehow living in the small town but unbeknownst to the town folk (I guess they don't pay taxes/vote/go to dr's/dentists, DMV, have cable, etc..) and they suddenly show up out of nowhere.
It is a Tv show.

LED DLP
post #1458 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It is a Tv show.
FWIW- I did like the season two opener a bit better than the final few episodes of season one.
If it was King's doing- I'll give him credit for it. Maybe he should stick around and collaborate a little more often...
phildaant likes this.

post #1459 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Didn't the show runner mention in season one that Chesters mill has thousands of people? I thought it was 10K to 20K, but I can't find the quote.
I believe you are correct.

post #1460 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I haven't watched yet... so a general comment on new characters.

They have to be careful. Yes, there are a lot of people in town under the dome... so they can bring us new characters... but bringing us new important characters with ties to the main characters? Like a brother of a main character who hasn't been seen until now? That seems like a stretch.

Or last season with the drug-runner-woman (Max) who didn't turn up for a while... even though she had direct ties to two of the main characters in the show... why wouldn't she have turned up quickly? We know why, her character was added later... but in real life, if you had ties to people and were trapped suddenly... you would go seeking out people you know... either to see if they are ok OR to screw them over...

So they have to be careful inventing new characters and deciding they were there all the time but somehow weren't doing anything all that time.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1461 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Just remember Lost, how many new characters appeared during the seasons? Although the island was way bigger than this dome, still a lot of people to bee seen here..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1462 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Two regulars gone already.
phildaant likes this.
post #1463 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
If I heard correctly season one covered two weeks. Let the new characters commence... plus you don't exactly follow these characters around 24 hours a day.
post #1464 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Just remember Lost, how many new characters appeared during the seasons? Although the island was way bigger than this dome, still a lot of people to bee seen here..
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Two regulars gone already.
And how many came 'back from the dead' on LOST!....
phildaant likes this.
post #1465 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 133
It was better than I thought. So, a couple people died (RIP!). I wonder if the future episodes will be meh like season 1 episodes. Hmm! I guess I will keep watching for now!
post #1466 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The mom we thought was dead isn't and she's painting. I bet we see the other dead appear throughout the season as visions.
phildaant likes this.

post #1467 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Nice cameo by King though.
Oops, I missed it. When/where did it occur?

Instead of doing a cameo, King should have rewatched S1 before writing the first episode of S2. Why, you might ask? IIRC, the center location of the dome was in the woods where the kids found the mini-dome containing the egg. All of a sudden the center of the dome is now located in a built up area containing a school.
phildaant and Mark12547 like this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Last edited by mrvideo; 07-01-2014 at 10:58 PM.
post #1468 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Instead of doing a cameo, King should have rewatched S1 before writing the first episode of S2. Why, you might ask? IIRC, the center location of the dome was in the woods where the kids found the mini-dome containing the egg. All of a sudden in the center of the dome is now located in a built up area containing a school.
I missed him too.
http://www.tv.com/shows/under-the-do...-140417418537/ has a screen capture and is funny!
post #1469 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Instead of doing a cameo, King should have rewatched S1 before writing the first episode of S2. Why, you might ask? IIRC, the center location of the dome was in the woods where the kids found the mini-dome containing the egg. All of a sudden the center of the dome is now located in a built up area containing a school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
I missed him too.
http://www.tv.com/shows/under-the-do...-140417418537/ has a screen capture and is funny!
Towards the end of the episode he's sitting in the diner and asks Angie to refill his coffee.

phildaant likes this.

post #1470 of 2548 Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 476
I'm baffled by how positive the comments are. I was shocked at how terrible this episode was, and that TV.com article covered most of the problems. I hope Stephen King was just trolling everyone with this episode, because between the Dome getting people to attempt suicide, Julia not thinking that a boat is the best way to save a drowning person, said drowning person appearing out of thin air, Julia being overjoyed that her husband's murderer is safe, and the Dome putting everyone into comas from the "contractions" that gave birth to DomeGirl, I'm having a hard time thinking of reasons to come back next week. I can only handle yelling, "What?" and "Seriously?" at the TV so many times in one day.

Quote:
the shear number of people in the town itself
Well, Linda and Angie got shorn this week, so the herd is getting thinner.
Drewdawg and phildaant like this.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page