post #1501 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
The book was fantastic and kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The explanation of the dome itself was a bit of a letdown, and you kind of figured it out before the reveal just because there wasn't any other explanation possible. But the plot and storytelling inside the dome was tight from beginning to end.

Kept you on the edge of your seat? Wow, no way. There were chapters after chapter where NOTHING happened. How is that keeping you on the edge of your seat? There is no way you were on the edge of your seat the whole time you read that book. Yeah, it is a fantastic book, slow in the middle and VERY VERY weak ending but come on, it was not that much of a thriller for the entire read.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
They also explained why they didn't see the brother and why he was hiding out in the cabin so it was obvious why they haven't seen him and don't want to see him. Yes, they didn't see their brother in the last 14 days. That is not a stretch at all.
The inference was they hadn't seen him in several years. His nephew had "grown up", etc., yet his log cabin was within easy walking distance of downtown. That's a little different.
post #1503 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Kept you on the edge of your seat? Wow, no way. There were chapters after chapter where NOTHING happened. How is that keeping you on the edge of your seat? There is no way you were on the edge of your seat the whole time you read that book. Yeah, it is a fantastic book, slow in the middle and VERY VERY weak ending but come on, it was not that much of a thriller for the entire read.
I read it when it first came out, and I remember being really into it. If there were slow parts, they either kept my interest or they weren't significant enough to stick in my memory as being a flaw.
bobby94928 and gwsat like this.
post #1504 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It was the first book I ever read on the iPad. Blowing the text up to where I could easily read it without reading glasses made it, like, 2000 pages long.
post #1505 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It was the first book I ever read on the iPad. Blowing the text up to where I could easily read it without reading glasses made it, like, 2000 pages long.
LOL, it was my first Kindle book. Downloaded it to my wife's Kindle then wouldn't give it back to her until I was done.

So much easier to read in bed than the typical King hardback. Wish I had a Kindle for Clancy's novels.
post #1506 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Although I nearly choked on CBS's soapsuds, the season premiere held my interest well enough for me to commit to sticking around for a while longer. The deaths of sheriff Linda and Angie didn't bother me at all. Obviously, the showrunners need to keep Barbie, Big Jim, and a few others, around for a while longer at least but certainly not Linda and Angie. Anyway the late and largely unlamented young women have been replaced by the alcoholic EMT and the young teacher with some knowledge of science. At least that's different from a whiney sheriff and and even whinier cafe proprietor.

The show is so silly and over the top I am almost ashamed of myself for continuing to watch. But, what the hell, it's summer and continuing to watch the show gives me an excuse to come back here every week and bad mouth it some more.

Good catch by those of you who recognized King. I didn't realize it was him at first because of the cap he was wearing and the fact that most of his face was in shadow because he was backlighted by the cafe's windows.
post #1507 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The show is so silly and over the top I am almost ashamed of myself for continuing to watch. But, what the hell, it's summer and continuing to watch the show gives me an excuse to come back here every week and bad mouth it some more.
Thank you for that ^
My wife told me she won't be back to The Dome this season... she'd rather watch Ancient Aliens, Unsealed Alien Files, Alien xxx whatever xxx. I pretty much told her my reason for still watching is what you stated above....

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1508 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Angie is one of the four hands, without her they won't have access to the mini dome anymore.
phildaant likes this.
post #1509 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
Angie is one of the four hands, without her they won't have access to the mini dome anymore.
No worries, mate. I'll bet the writers have probably forgotten all about that plot point by now.
Garrett Adams and phildaant like this.
post #1510 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
No they don't. The entire first season was just a couple weeks long. I go months without seeing my family and they live pretty close. They also explained why they didn't see the brother and why he was hiding out in the cabin so it was obvious why they haven't seen him and don't want to see him. Yes, they didn't see their brother in the last 14 days. That is not a stretch at all.
When a major event like a mysterious invisible dome trapping everyone in the town happens, it's a huge stretch to believe that this guy who lives within walking distance would still be hanging out in his cabin the whole time, never leaving or interacting with anyone.

He doesn't seem in any way surprised or perturbed by the existence of the dome. You'd think he might want to go talk to someone to ask, "Hey, what's up with this weird dome thing?" But nope, it's all perfectly normal to him.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1511 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
If the plot calls for it, the Mother Dome will just change the rules. It won't be the first time. Besides, Dome Child probably killed her; the Dome must approve.
post #1512 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Well, they just need her hands, right?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1513 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Did anyone read the book version? If so, then is it very different?
During Season One, I recall some of us having a rather spirited discussion on book vs show .. if you've got the inclination, you might go back and check it out .. but, as arch said, there is little similarity to the excellent book at this point other than a Dome ..

edit

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 07-03-2014 at 09:50 AM.
post #1514 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Well, they just need her hands, right?
And the "egg" that was dropped into the lake.

Also, we don't know if there is some other hand that would also work, just the four that were discovered so far.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1515 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
We do not know for sure that Angie is dead.
She's dead, Jim!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Under-Do...n-1083871.aspx

"Is Angie really dead?
Britt Robertson: Angie is actually dead. She's for sure dead after the first episode, but it's a Stephen King show, so whatever that means to the audience. It's very vague what dying is and where the season goes, so who knows? I might go back to Under the Dome one of these days. She's dead, but dead for now."
post #1516 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Love to have Stephen King's clout. They ask him to come write an episode, and he's able to kill of the characters that annoy him.

There's a dozen shows I'd love to come in for an episode and clean house.
gwsat likes this.
post #1517 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Question

Quote:
No worries, mate. I'll bet the writers have probably forgotten all about that plot point by now.
I sure forgot about it. Wait, where did the mini Dome go again?
post #1518 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I sure forgot about it. Wait, where did the mini Dome go again?
They threw it into the lake. And surprise, surprise, right after that, a girl emerges from the same spot. Guess everyone missed that part.
phildaant likes this.

post #1519 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They threw it into the lake. And surprise, surprise, right after that, a girl emerges from the same spot. Guess everyone missed that part.
SHeesh, I forgot they threw it into the lake. I assume that was in the season 1 finale? Man, the show is bad that I can't remember.
post #1520 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
When a major event like a mysterious invisible dome trapping everyone in the town happens, it's a huge stretch to believe that this guy who lives within walking distance would still be hanging out in his cabin the whole time, never leaving or interacting with anyone.

He doesn't seem in any way surprised or perturbed by the existence of the dome. You'd think he might want to go talk to someone to ask, "Hey, what's up with this weird dome thing?" But nope, it's all perfectly normal to him.

While I see what you are saying, he did comment on that and why he doesn't go into town and he did come out to investigate when something was happening close to his cabin.
phildaant likes this.

post #1521 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The inference was they hadn't seen him in several years. His nephew had "grown up", etc., yet his log cabin was within easy walking distance of downtown. That's a little different.
No it isn't. He did some bad stuff before the dome came down and got in trouble, etc. The family kicked him out and didn't associate with him anymore, and Jr. was very close to his father back then so did what he said. After the dome came down, they wouldn't run up there first thing. They were to busy hunting down killers, trying to hang someone, dealing with no power, dealing with fuel tank horders, killing people and dealing with the doe knocking them out/trying to kill them, etc. If things calmed down, I am sure they would eventually reach out to him, but its only been a few days, gotta wait for the dome to stop knocking everyone out and not hanging people.
phildaant likes this.

post #1522 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Love to have Stephen King's clout. They ask him to come write an episode, and he's able to kill of the characters that annoy him.

There's a dozen shows I'd love to come in for an episode and clean house.
Right you are! It would be nice to see King come in and write an episode for any number of the Big Four networks' soapy dramas and rid us of their most irritating characters. It would elevate network television.
phildaant likes this.
post #1523 of 2350 Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
No they don't. The entire first season was just a couple weeks long. I go months without seeing my family and they live pretty close. They also explained why they didn't see the brother and why he was hiding out in the cabin so it was obvious why they haven't seen him and don't want to see him. Yes, they didn't see their brother in the last 14 days. That is not a stretch at all.
"It's only 2 weeks" doesn't give them license to not be careful adding new characters. If every couple of "weeks" on the show they find new characters it will really stretch the already thin credibility of the show.

You're also talking about people in a small town not seeing each other under normal circumstances. Yes, there are long periods of time that go by and people in a small town might not interact.

But... in this particular small town... the power and phones went out... when that happens and you have no TV and you hear on the radio that "a dome has dropped over the town" you are going to have to poke your head out to see what is going on.

A lot of the town was having water and food problems in those first 2 weeks... Remember the plot where water was scarce except for that one guy controlling the reservoir? Lack of water would have brought everyone out scrambling for water... and a lot of people were looking for other supplies.

It just isn't realistic to have more and more important new people pop up the longer the show goes on... a few people here and there are fine... and they can mask some of it by having them be "faces in the crowd" that technically were there the whole time but they just weren't focusing the story on them. But they still have to be careful bringing people out of the woodwork on a regular basis.
phildaant likes this.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1524 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
SHeesh, I forgot they threw it into the lake. I assume that was in the season 1 finale? Man, the show is bad that I can't remember.
Sigh, bad info being posted. The mini-dome is no more. That is how they got the egg, which was dropped into the lake.

Hands no longer needed, as there is no mini-dome.
phildaant likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #1525 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I've always considered Under the Dome as schlock, but like a train wreak you just can't not watch it.
phildaant likes this.
post #1526 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I've always considered Under the Dome as schlock, but like a train wreak you just can't not watch it.
Train wreck, you meant. But the show is so amusing and cheesy that I keep watching! :P
gwsat likes this.
post #1527 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Train wreck, you meant. But the show is so amusing and cheesy that I keep watching! :P
This is true! The show's so bad it's (almost) good.
phildaant likes this.
post #1528 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
If you truly want to watch a bad show then watch Dominion.
phildaant likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1529 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you truly want to watch a bad show then watch Dominion.
I watched its pilot. No thanks. I have enough.
Josh Z likes this.
post #1530 of 2350 Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 129
I had already given up on Under the Dome last season (although I couldn't help but tune into the last half of the season premier because some of my co-workers still watch the show and I wanted to be able to talk about it with them). I can't stand it when a sci-fi show makes religion or faith the central theme. It ruined Stargate: SG-1 and ST: DS9 for me and it was the only thing I didn't care for in BSG.

Come to think of it, the only show that was religion themed that I truly enjoyed was Reaper, but it was more comedy than anything. And the Ray Wise Devil character was pure gold.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page