post #1591 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I evidently did miss the point. Never mind. First, tried to help. Second, tried to be funny. Two misfires.
We all have those days.

Angie had a worse day. I liked her character.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
How does one check for runtimes from recordings quickly? Or do it manually like record the times? Unless downloaded?
If you use a DVR, it is really tough to get a runtime. There are other ways, but if you capture on a computer, you can quickly edit it with a program like VideoReDo.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1593 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
... Not sure why I have to keep watching this show, but I must.
I am having the same problem. Episode #3 preview looked good, but the show is so lame. Argh!
post #1594 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
http://www.tv.com/shows/under-the-do...-140476979471/ is too funny! Check out the older episodes too.
Hysterically funny and right on target. It made me miss the recently late, and lamented TWOP (Television Without Pity) Forums. That's just the kind of snark I loved reading over there.

Damn you NBC/Universal for buying it, then shutting it down. Damn you all to...a dome. Would love to see these execs stuck in a dome with killer butterflies, psycho mayors, fight clubs, crop burnings, and an over abundance of coffee.
Yeah, I know, waaaay off topic there.
phildaant likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1595 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Hysterically funny and right on target. It made me miss the recently late, and lamented TWOP (Television Without Pity) Forums. That's just the kind of snark I loved reading over there.

Damn you NBC/Universal for buying it, then shutting it down. Damn you all to...a dome. Would love to see these execs stuck in a dome with killer butterflies, psycho mayors, fight clubs, crop burnings, and an over abundance of coffee.
That would be a good reality show! I'd totally watch it!
post #1596 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
If any viewer thought that it seemed a little short, it was. It was only 40:14 in length.
When it comes to this show, a reduced runtime might be a blessing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
I am having a hard time with the sudden emergence of the science teacher out of the blue.
With the way she keeps telling Jim that he's The Chosen One™, I'm wondering if she's somehow under the Dome's control and is testing Jim further.

Someone needs to show this episode to Ron Weasley. "Why couldn't it be 'Follow the butterflies?'" This is why, Ron. First they eat all of your crops, and then as you die from starvation, they devour your flesh. Don't mess with butterflies.
phildaant likes this.
post #1597 of 1824 Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Yes, it reminded me of TWOP as well and how much I miss it!
post #1598 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
With the way she keeps telling Jim that he's The Chosen One™, I'm wondering if she's somehow under the Dome's control and is testing Jim further.
I have a feeling that everything that happens from Season 2 through the series finale is happening in Big Jim's mind between the time Big Jim dropped on the gallows to the time his neck snapped - and the dome disappeared with his death.

No way Julia was able to slice through that rope after the rope was taut from the drop, but before his neck snapped.
post #1599 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I have a feeling that everything that happens from Season 2 through the series finale is happening in Big Jim's mind between the time Big Jim dropped on the gallows to the time his neck snapped - and the dome disappeared with his death.
So what we are watching might be inspired by the short story, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"? Could be.

After "The Bob Newhart Show", Bob Newhart did a 8-season show called "Bob" "Newhart", and at the series finale he wakes up to his "The Bob Newhart Show" wife and tells her of this crazy dream he had. So it wouldn't be the first time that a season (or eight) was "just a dream".

PS: There have also been several movies where the bulk of the movie was "it's just a dream", including (warning, if you haven't seen these movies but plan to, this may spoil these movies):

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Total Recall (1990; the story on which it's based is ambiguous)
Identity (2003)

phildaant and gprace like this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 07-09-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Remembered wrong sequel to The Bob Newhart Show; added movies
post #1600 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
So what we are watching might be inspired by the short story, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"? Could be.

After "The Bob Newhart Show", Bob Newhart did a 2-season show called "Bob", and at the series finale of "Bob" he wakes up to his "The Bob Newhart Show" wife and tells her of this crazy dream he had. So it wouldn't be the first time that a season or two was "just a dream".
To liken "Dome" to the excellent "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode (one of my favorites) as well as the short story is bordering on sacrilege ..

phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1601 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
After "The Bob Newhart Show", Bob Newhart did a 2-season show called "Bob", and at the series finale of "Bob" he wakes up to his "The Bob Newhart Show" wife and tells her of this crazy dream he had. So it wouldn't be the first time that a season or two was "just a dream".
That was actually the finale of 'Newhart', the long-running (8 seasons) show he did between 'The Bob Newhart Show' and 'Bob'.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1602 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That was actually the finale of 'Newhart', the long-running (8 seasons) show he did between 'The Bob Newhart Show' and 'Bob'.
To quote from "Fletch Lives":
Fletcher: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.

Thanks for the correction. I have updated my post to reflect the corrected information.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1603 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

No way Julia was able to slice through that rope after the rope was taut from the drop, but before his neck snapped.
Good point! the purpose of a scaffold and trapdoor used for an execution by hanging is to make sure a long enough rope is used to guarantee that the prisoner's neck will be broken when he is dropped through the trapdoor. My question when Julia was desperately sawing at the rope was why she had bothered because Big Jim's neck had to be broken, didn't it? Oh well, that one is probably only about average on the scale of preposterous events we have seen on this show.
phildaant likes this.
post #1604 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I like Under the Dome and Dominion. So sue me.
Dominion isn't that bad being a South African produced show and breaks some of the rules of Hollywood television. I thought that the 2nd episode of Under the Dome was better than the first but CBS needs to stop injecting saccharin into their shows on some false belief from the Harvard Business School that midwesterners are dumber than dirt. The show could use a lot more edge.
phildaant likes this.
post #1605 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Dominion isn't that bad being a South African produced show and breaks some of the rules of Hollywood television. I thought that the 2nd episode of Under the Dome was better than the first but CBS needs to stop injecting saccharin into their shows on some false belief from the Harvard Business School that midwesterners are dumber than dirt. The show could use a lot more edge.
Part, if not most, of the problem is the attempt by CBS to try and appeal to each and every demographic .. and veering substantially from the darkness of the book ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1606 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Part, if not most, of the problem is the attempt by CBS to try and appeal to each and every demographic .. and veering substantially from the darkness of the book ..
Yep, the lowest demographics.
post #1607 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Something is off about her, she either has some sort social/personality disorder or she's just an awful actress, what ever it is she's easily the weirdest character in the show now. And that's saying a lot as there's a lot of weird acting people in this show.
post #1608 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.tv.com/shows/american-hor...-140485510270/ said low ratings and Under the Dome might get canceled? If so, then give it an ending!
post #1609 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
To quote from "Fletch Lives":
Fletcher: It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am NOT a big man.

Thanks for the correction. I have updated my post to reflect the corrected information.
After 'Bob' was canceled, Newhart joked that his next show would just be called 'B'.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z

post #1610 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
CBS needs to stop injecting saccharin into their shows on some false belief from the Harvard Business School that midwesterners are dumber than dirt.
The networks would stop making such stupid shows if people would stop watching them. So long as all the various CSIs and NCISes continue to get huge ratings, while smarter shows are completely ignored by viewers, the network has no incentive to change its ways.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z

post #1611 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The networks would stop making such stupid shows if people would stop watching them. So long as all the various CSIs and NCISes continue to get huge ratings, while smarter shows are completely ignored by viewers, the network has no incentive to change its ways.
It's not just them. Look at movies, games, etc.
post #1612 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
After 'Bob' was canceled, Newhart joked that his next show would just be called 'B'.
Or, he could go with "New"...even if it's not-so...
post #1613 of 1824 Old 07-09-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Even if CBS were to cancel Under the Dome after this season, I believe there are enough episodes to fuel the relaunch of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
phildaant and Zookster like this.

Last edited by Garrett Adams; 07-10-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #1614 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Good point! the purpose of a scaffold and trapdoor used for an execution by hanging is to make sure a long enough rope is used to guarantee that the prisoner's neck will be broken when he is dropped through the trapdoor. My question when Julia was desperately sawing at the rope was why she had bothered because Big Jim's neck had to be broken, didn't it? Oh well, that one is probably only about average on the scale of preposterous events we have seen on this show.

During hangings, not everyone had their necks broken instantly, in fact, many hung for a long time until they eventually died from suffocation.

post #1615 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I have a feeling they might be switching things in that the dome wasn't trying to teach them not to kill, etc. as thought but to put Jim in a better light by sacrificing himself so he could become the leader the Dome wants him to be for evil/bad reasons and it has an evil purpose and not the good intentions they originally thought. Which also explains the Dome letting others die.

post #1616 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 546
The whole thing about the hanging was pretty ridiculous, even by this show's standards. First, that Big Jim would even consider offing himself - that's a character inconsistency of the highest order. He's killed to keep his power and secrets. Second, Julia first wants to "pull the lever", then has an instant change of mind once the trapdoor actually opens. WTF? Third, it would have taken her an hour to hack through that rope with a knife; she did it as easily as if it were dental floss.

But saying this show has plot and character inconsistencies is like saying water is slightly wet.
post #1617 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
http://www.tv.com/shows/american-hor...-140485510270/ said low ratings and Under the Dome might get canceled? If so, then give it an ending!
Under the Dome is still one of the top rated shows so far this Summer. The first week it was ranked number two. Ratings for the second full week have not been released yet. But it should still be in one of the top positions.
phildaant likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1618 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The whole thing about the hanging was pretty ridiculous, even by this show's standards. First, that Big Jim would even consider offing himself - that's a character inconsistency of the highest order. He's killed to keep his power and secrets. Second, Julia first wants to "pull the lever", then has an instant change of mind once the trapdoor actually opens. WTF? Third, it would have taken her an hour to hack through that rope with a knife; she did it as easily as if it were dental floss.

You do realize that is the norm in TV shows and movies? To be able to cut through a rope like that quickly. This is nothing specific to Under the Dome. It was that way decades ago with other shows and will be that way in the future with other shows as well. Tv and movies have never followed the rules of the real world. They never have and never will.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1619 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You do realize that is the norm in TV shows and movies? To be able to cut through a rope like that quickly. This is nothing specific to Under the Dome.
No, not like that. She literally cut through what looked to be an inch & a half thick rope in a fraction of a second - the time it took for Big Jim to drop 3 feet. Now, if she had...say...blasted the rope with a shotgun or slashed it with a light saber, that would at least be marginally believable.

I know what you're saying. But that scene was preposterous on a level that's silly even for this show. It shows a profound laziness on the writers' part, over and above their usual laziness.
phildaant likes this.
post #1620 of 1824 Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yeah the problem is not only the size, but the rope has to be taut. I played it back when I first watched it because I thought it was funny that she could slash through a rope that thick - even by TV standards - without using her other hand to pull the rope down to remove the slack. If you swing one handed at a rope that thick and there's no tension, you'll just push it away. Thought it was even funnier when I saw that they let Jim's weight bottom out on the rope before she sliced through. So the tautness wasn't a problem, the problem was the timing. How do you cut it in the micro second between the rope getting taut and Jim's neck snapping?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page