post #1621 of 1634 Old Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
How do you cut it in the micro second between the rope getting taut and Jim's neck snapping?
Well, one could argue that Dean Norris doesn't have much of a neck.

From playing a great character in one of the greatest TV shows of all time to.... this. Poor Dean. But he's not alone. Giancarlo Esposito played one of the Greatest Villains of All Time in the same show, and his next role was the Magic Mirror on OUAT, followed by a silly role in 'Revolution', an equally silly show. Aaron Paul is making commercials where he mentions he went from the "role of a lifetime" to playing video games.

Ah, how the mighty have fallen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1634 Old Today, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
How do you cut it in the micro second between the rope getting taut and Jim's neck snapping?
Now you're assuming there that the resident geniuses of Chester's Mill built the gallows to the optimum drop height required to kill by breaking the neck.

It's probably luck that Big Jim didn't just drop to his feet.

post #1623 of 1634 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
During hangings, not everyone had their necks broken instantly, in fact, many hung for a long time until they eventually died from suffocation.
That's right, and a few were decapitated. But the choking and decapitation incidents happened only because the hangman miscalculated the length of rope required to neatly break the prisoner's neck. Obviously, neither happened very frequently so Julia managing to save Big Jim's life by sawing at his noose while he dangled seemed to fit right in with the rest of the silliness of this preposterous show. I still watch it but then I still watch Law & Order: SVU too, so there's that.
post #1624 of 1634 Old Today, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Aaron Paul is making commercials where he mentions he went from the "role of a lifetime" to playing video games.
Worse, he went to starring in a movie based on a video game! The movie quality bar doesn't get much lower than that.

post #1625 of 1634 Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just a side note - when I re-watched that scene, they show a close up of the knife just about to cut the rope. You can see where they pre-cut the majority of the rope so there wasn't much to cut. What was odd was it looked like there was a spot an inch or two higher that was also pre-cut. I don't have the recording any longer, but I'm curious if that served a purpose for the visual effect, or if it was just where they started a cut, then changed position.
post #1626 of 1634 Old Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Well, one could argue that Dean Norris doesn't have much of a neck.

From playing a great character in one of the greatest TV shows of all time to.... this. Poor Dean. But he's not alone. Giancarlo Esposito played one of the Greatest Villains of All Time in the same show, and his next role was the Magic Mirror on OUAT, followed by a silly role in 'Revolution', an equally silly show. Aaron Paul is making commercials where he mentions he went from the "role of a lifetime" to playing video games.

Ah, how the mighty have fallen.
When the perfect confluence of cast / crew / writer / location / etc magically happens, it's tough tough tough to catch lightning in a bottle twice .. I was reminded this morning that BB ended just under a year ago, yet it seems so much longer ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #1627 of 1634 Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Just a side note - when I re-watched that scene, they show a close up of the knife just about to cut the rope. You can see where they pre-cut the majority of the rope so there wasn't much to cut. What was odd was it looked like there was a spot an inch or two higher that was also pre-cut. I don't have the recording any longer, but I'm curious if that served a purpose for the visual effect, or if it was just where they started a cut, then changed position.
But was a jewel missing from her necklace .. ??

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #1628 of 1634 Old Today, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I was reminded this morning that BB ended just under a year ago, yet it seems so much longer ..
Thought the exact same thing when reading the GOT thread and they were talking about Breaking Bad in Emmy contention. Can't believe BB was recent enough that we are still in the same awards year.

EDIT: ... and now I see that's where you were reminded also.
post #1629 of 1634 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
One screen cap coming up boss....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cut.jpg (74.6 KB, 19 views)

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #1630 of 1634 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Now you're assuming there that the resident geniuses of Chester's Mill built the gallows to the optimum drop height required to kill by breaking the neck.
Which reminds me of how hilarious it was how quickly the townsfolk built those gallows and the radio tower for the magnet. If the town has some engineers and good construction folks milling around, you'd think they'd play a more important role in the story.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1631 of 1634 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's probably luck that Big Jim didn't just drop to his feet.
Perhaps Big Jim never watched "The Killing" (season 3), where they explained that you have to know the exact height and weight of the person to know how long to make the rope. I guess the body has to reach a specific velosity to break the neck. Educational TV is great!

Or maybe he forgot the gallows was set up for Barbie's weight and height.
post #1632 of 1634 Old Today, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
One screen cap coming up boss....
Thanks.

Not sure what that higher cut was for unless it provided some unraveling for effect.
post #1633 of 1634 Old Today, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
The whole thing about the hanging was pretty ridiculous, even by this show's standards. First, that Big Jim would even consider offing himself - that's a character inconsistency of the highest order. He's killed to keep his power and secrets. Second, Julia first wants to "pull the lever", then has an instant change of mind once the trapdoor actually opens. WTF? Third, it would have taken her an hour to hack through that rope with a knife; she did it as easily as if it were dental floss.

But saying this show has plot and character inconsistencies is like saying water is slightly wet.
It is not inconsistent, they have repeatedly shown over and over again his intense nature towards protecting his son. He even said if he killed her let him know and he would make it go away. He would do anything for his kid, and has on the show. Sacrificing himself fits into exactly what they have established for Big Jim all along.

post #1634 of 1634 Old Today, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I'm more curious to know how they plan to work in the suddenly un-suicided mother into the plot. Did King even read the scripts for the first season before writing the premiere?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List