113Likes

post #1651 of 1655 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I can't believe I'm doing this, but...

The thing about the hanging rope... Assume the standard "plan the length of the rope for the hanging" work was done. That setup was for Barbie. So the rope was not cut to length for a proper Jim hanging... the writers could always use that as a built-in excuse for why Jim's neck wasn't broken. Also, Jim put the noose on himself. Normally someone else puts the noose on... so Jim could have put the noose on in such a way as to inhibit the automatic neck snap, and combined with the improper rope length, you get the scenario that played out.

That said... he still should have had a very sore neck, probably difficulty talking if not a crushed larynx in the process... and I don't even recall seeing much of a bruise afterwards... so they still fail even with my possible explanations.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1655 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Assume the standard "plan the length of the rope for the hanging" work was done. That setup was for Barbie. So the rope was not cut to length for a proper Jim hanging... the writers could always use that as a built-in excuse for why Jim's neck wasn't broken..
The catch there is that Big Jim is heavier than Barbie. If it was set for Barbie, it would certainly do the job on Jim.

You only need a drop of 6 feet to break anyone's neck. Reducing to 4 or 5 feet is just to keep the head from popping off if they are heavy enough. They would have certainly erred on the side of higher rather than lower because even decapitation is more humane than if they slowly suffocate because their neck didn't break. And if they weren't concerned with being humane, they didn't need to build the gallows, they could have just grabbed a chair - or park that Prius under a tree branch.

Last edited by CPanther95; Yesterday at 02:14 PM.
post #1653 of 1655 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You only need a drop of 6 feet to break anyone's neck. Reducing to 4 or 5 feet is just to keep the head from popping off if they are heavy enough. They would have certainly erred on the side of higher rather than lower because even decapitation is more humane than if they slowly suffocate because their neck didn't break. And if they weren't concerned with being humane, they didn't need to build the gallows, they could have just grabbed a chair - or park that Prius under a tree branch.
I like it .. inhumane yet still fuel efficient ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #1654 of 1655 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I read someplace a long time ago that the purpose of the thirteen wraps around the noose was to knock the head sideways and aid in the snapping of the neck.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1655 of 1655 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Thanks guys! Next time I have a hankerin' for a hanging party, I'll be all set!

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page