'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 518Likes

post #1711 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what I see, I really don't think Big Jim has much reason to know the barber

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
I was convinced from the book ...
Even before the first episode aired, there was a TV Guide article where it was mentioned that it was diverging from the book with the author's blessings.
phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1713 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Even before the first episode aired, there was a TV Guide article where it was mentioned that it was diverging from the book with the author's blessings.
I wonder how much it diverged already. 99%? :P
post #1714 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 617
We spent quite a bit of time last season doing book / show comparisons .. I even compiled a list .. at this point, other than the existence of a Dome, little else remains plot wise ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1715 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
When they showed the news feed in that other town when Jr.'s mom was watching TV it was dedicated to the dome and they were still talking about it and they were saying how they still haven't figured out what is going on, etc. etc. so yes they are still investigating it.
You investigate something by running away from it? Wouldn't you poke it and prod with every instrument you could think of? Wouldn't you be communicating with the people inside?

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #1716 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I wonder how much Mr. King charges for a blessing.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #1717 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post
That is a very good question. My guess, considering the only thing the show has in common with the book at this point is the title, is a lot. An awful lot. CBS probably backed a dump truck up to King's house and unloaded a giant gob of money.
phildaant likes this.
post #1718 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That is a very good question. My guess, considering the only thing the show has in common with the book at this point is the title, is a lot. An awful lot. CBS probably backed a dump truck up to King's house and unloaded a giant gob of money.
You mean the King Compound is Maine .. ??

phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1719 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Should they have addressed that he knows the check out clerk at the grocery store too? Come on, the last thing he is going to do in this crisis that is a few days old, is run and check if the local barber is OK.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Watch it with the spoilers, there! The grocer was going to be the surprise main villain for season 3!
post #1720 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 371
Quote:
Given what happened to the end of Dreamcatcher the movie I would say he should be charging a lot more. Maybe that would dissuade people from destroying the books on camera.

post #1721 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Given what happened to the end of Dreamcatcher the movie I would say he should be charging a lot more. Maybe that would dissuade people from destroying the books on camera.
I'm going out on a limb here, but as a King reader going back, er, decades .. ?? I'm going to say the film and TV flops far outnumber the books that did well ..

Why does "The Langoliers" keep popping into my brain .. ??

Where is Stanley Kubrick's ghost when you need him .. ??
Marc Wielage likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1722 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Why does "The Langoliers" keep popping into my brain .. ??
Apart from the effects, I still kind of like that one.

The idea transferred mostly intact if I remember correctly. Until the pac-men show up it wasn't that bad. The fault there lies in another downward spiral King ending. Might have worked quite well as a slightly funny Twilight Zone episode.

post #1723 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 04:40 PM

Liked: 118
Quote:
I'm very much aware of that. I'm merely pointing out the two different paths involved. My bet is that the ending will still be essentially the same.
phildaant likes this.
post #1724 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
I'm very much aware of that. I'm merely pointing out the two different paths involved. My bet is that the ending will still be essentially the same.
I read that the book's ending wasn't good?
post #1725 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
I read that the book's ending wasn't good?
Anticlimax is a good word, so is irony. It was all so simple.....
Marc Wielage and phildaant like this.

Bobby 

post #1726 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Anticlimax is a good word, so is irony. It was all so simple.....
Yes, "anticlimax" is a good word, and "antithesis" is a good word, too. An anticlimax is perhaps the antithesis of a good ending, though...
post #1727 of 2335 Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Really, their best friend the barber? You think this show should of addressed that he was friends with the barber and showed him checking in on the barber? That is ridiculously silly. Big Jim knows hundreds if not a thousand people in that town. Should they have addressed that he knows the check out clerk at the grocery store too? Come on, the last thing he is going to do in this crisis that is a few days old, is run and check if the local barber is OK.
But he wasn't introduced as just Joe the random Barber...

Rather... the barber is in a picture with Sam (Big Jim's brother-in-law) and Big Jim's "dead" wife... the barber was dating Big Jim's wife before Big Jim did... so two of the new people that showed up that Big Jim never thought to check on... turn out to have major ties to Big Jim... his brother-in-law and the guy who dated his wife before Big Jim did... and apparently the barber, Sam, and the not-so-dead wife are all in cahoots to boot!

That's the kind of people they can't keep bringing in from nowhere... they can bring in all sorts of new people that we haven't seen before... but not such major characters with major ties to the major characters from the show.

Yes... Big Jim seems to operate under the "keep your friends close... keep your enemies closer" mantra... and yet ignored the barber and his brother-in-law for several weeks.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1728 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I can't help thinking that scene where we were introduced to Big Jim's barber had the barber shaving him - might be important. The imagery of him with a razor against BJ's neck might be foreshadowing murderous intent down the line.
post #1729 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
But he never wanted to be a barber. He always wanted to be a lumberjack.
Marc Wielage and slowbiscuit like this.
post #1730 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'm waiting for Bob Barker to show up next week as BJ's dad....

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1731 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 213
Quote:
CBS’s “Under the Dome” rebounded from last week’s series low, posting a 1.9 18-49 rating at 10 p.m., up 12 percent over last week’s 1.7.
And simultaneously hit new lows with the stupidity of this ep, after starting off pretty decent with the first one. I want some of that magic chem that turns acid rain clear while it's falling. And don't even get started on the desperate attempts by MS to make Surface look cool.
phildaant likes this.
post #1732 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And simultaneously hit new lows with the stupidity of this ep, after starting off pretty decent with the first one. I want some of that magic chem that turns acid rain clear while it's falling. And don't even get started on the desperate attempts by MS to make Surface look cool.
Ditto. I think I might stop watching it starting on Monday. :/
post #1733 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Lesson to be learned? Hmmm...

Stupid brings more eyeballs, so what's the motivation to stop writing stupid things?

Hey, does anybody else think this show was inspired by SNL's "The Californians"?
phildaant likes this.
post #1734 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
You investigate something by running away from it? Wouldn't you poke it and prod with every instrument you could think of? Wouldn't you be communicating with the people inside?
Yes when they launch a trident missile at it that devastate the area for miles around and people that touch it have died. You start to stop probing it with everything you have and start taking a more logical look at it.
phildaant likes this.

post #1735 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
But he wasn't introduced as just Joe the random Barber...

Rather... the barber is in a picture with Sam (Big Jim's brother-in-law) and Big Jim's "dead" wife... the barber was dating Big Jim's wife before Big Jim did... so two of the new people that showed up that Big Jim never thought to check on... turn out to have major ties to Big Jim... his brother-in-law and the guy who dated his wife before Big Jim did... and apparently the barber, Sam, and the not-so-dead wife are all in cahoots to boot!

That's the kind of people they can't keep bringing in from nowhere... they can bring in all sorts of new people that we haven't seen before... but not such major characters with major ties to the major characters from the show.

Yes... Big Jim seems to operate under the "keep your friends close... keep your enemies closer" mantra... and yet ignored the barber and his brother-in-law for several weeks.
He is not going to check on them, he knows a lot of people, a lot of people with very close ties. He is awfully busy with his son, the killings, hangings, hunts, dome magnetism, Dome red rain, etc. etc. etc. in just a few days to go running to a house of someone he knows to go, hey, are you OK. When he finally has time and goes to his friend the barber, you complain. What, you expect an episode where he visits everyone he knows and checks in so you can see the actors playing them? He finally sees one and checks in and you complain.

post #1736 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
He is not going to check on them, he knows a lot of people, a lot of people with very close ties. He is awfully busy with his son, the killings, hangings, hunts, dome magnetism, Dome red rain, etc. etc. etc. in just a few days to go running to a house of someone he knows to go, hey, are you OK. When he finally has time and goes to his friend the barber, you complain. What, you expect an episode where he visits everyone he knows and checks in so you can see the actors playing them? He finally sees one and checks in and you complain.
I never said they couldn't do it... I said it's a trick they can't keep pulling over and over. I don't think you're reading what I'm posting. They can introduce all the new people they want, because we haven't seen everybody in town. BUT every time they introduce a new person and that person turns out to have strong ties to one of the main characters, it stretches credibility.

You're arguing that Big Jim wouldn't check on everybody... and that's 100% correct... but he would check on important people and people with which he had strong ties... he would ignore everyone else. Those are the people they should introduce as new characters. If every few episodes we find more people that are strongly tied to Big Jim... then you have to start asking why didn't Big Jim check on those people sooner?

Season one had his "best enemy" the farmer dude who was controlling the reservoir that they needed... and the sheriff and reverend who were in on the drugs with Big Jim... then the drug lady comes in and that's when Jim finds out he and Barbie are connected through her... now this season he's suddenly linked to the barber who dated his ex-wife and that the barber and Jim's brother in law are tight and know Jim's wife didn't really die but I guess just left town... and so it goes.

Is every new character they drop into the show going to have longstanding ties with Big Jim? That's what I'm saying... they can't keep doing that. Your "he can't check on everyone" argument falls apart if everyone they introduce us to is his best friend, his lifelong enemy, or related to him... those are exactly the people he should be checking on when stuff went down.

I'm saying the next batch of new people they introduce us to in the town had better have ties to someone else... and not Big Jim... that's all I'm saying.
phildaant likes this.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1737 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I never said they couldn't do it... I said it's a trick they can't keep pulling over and over. I don't think you're reading what I'm posting.
I understand the concept and find if they do it over and over until the cows come home it will still be the least contrived thing about the show.
phildaant likes this.

| 
|
|
|
post #1738 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes when they launch a trident missile at it that devastate the area for miles around and people that touch it have died.
Tridents are a nuclear missile, that would have been serious overkill!

It wasn't one if those, it was an incorrect version of a MOAB - the largest conventional warhead available. In reality it isn't a missile, it's a large bomb dropped by cargo plane. Maybe they shouldn't have made a big deal about calling it by it's name on the show for dramatic effect.
phildaant likes this.

post #1739 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 118
Quote:
God, the built-in commercials for Microsoft Surface just leave me cold. It makes far more sense to believe that there's zero WiFi, zero cell phones, zero everything in the area. It's a ridiculous conceit that the tablets sometimes work, when it's convenient to the plot and when they have a product to sell.

If they bring up Dolby Atmos, I'm going to throw a brick through my screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Tridents are a nuclear missile, that would have been serious overkill! It wasn't one if those, it was an incorrect version of a MOAB - the largest conventional warhead available. In reality it isn't a missile, it's a large bomb dropped by cargo plane. Maybe they shouldn't have made a big deal about calling it by it's name on the show for dramatic effect.
In the book, it was just a very large conventional weapon, not nuclear. It did burn and knock down all the forest surrounding the town, and that was shown correctly in the show. They couldn't use a nuclear weapon because a wave of nuclear dust would've blown towards other nearby cities and towns, plus it would've polluted the area for 50+ years.

BTW, nobody's yet explained that the Dome is not really a Dome: it's really a sphere, and goes under the town as well as above it. They can tunnel down and escape, and a lot of the plumbing and power connections are down. As the old song went, "so high you can't get over it, so low you can't get under it."

I'm still baffled there's so much electricity still going on in the town. They made it clear in the book that the generators only lasted a few days, and we're about 3 weeks into these adventures and the lights are still on in many places. Very screwed up. King has said that once the producers explained their plans, he said, "I have no plans with whatever you do, as long as it's a town with a Dome over it and some of the characters are named the same as the novel." There's clearly a big divergence here and there.

I'm kinda bummed out that in the book, the character of Barbie is a brave ex-military guy who's now a drifter and a short-order cook. Turning him into a hit man for a drug organization makes absolutely no sense to me. The character of the red-headed woman (who runs the town newspaper, a plot point lost in the show) was 20 years older than he was, so there was a very interesting dynamic in that he was a guy in his late 20s, she was a woman who was close to 50. Now, they're both good-looking 30-year-olds, which completely tossed the book's premise.

I don't mind them changing things to make them better, but in this case, I think they just changed it to stick to a standard TV stereotype. Stupid.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Marc Wielage; 07-19-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #1740 of 2335 Old 07-19-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
BTW, nobody's yet explained that the Dome is not really a Dome: it's really a sphere, and goes under the town as well as above it.
That was in the first season when they went underground to try and escape and found the dome blocking the shaft. I think it was also brought up when they found the mini "dome" in the middle of the woods too.
phildaant likes this.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page