687Likes

Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
That was in the first season when they went underground to try and escape and found the dome blocking the shaft.
They went into this more in the novel, where the military tells Barbie and the red-head that they tried an industrial-strength digging machine and gave up 250 feet down. So it's more clear that they're in a bubble -- not really a dome.

The goofy changes in the show -- the angst, the weather, the deal with the rain, the lake -- don't make a helluva lotta sense. One hopes there's an eventual payoff here, but I'm starting to smell a Lost-like stench...
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
They went into this more in the novel, where the military tells Barbie and the red-head....
"red-head" = Julia Shumway. Are you sure you read the novel?

Rachelle Lefevre's fabulous cascading mane of wavy red hair should get it's own cast credit.
phildaant likes this.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I never said they couldn't do it... I said it's a trick they can't keep pulling over and over. I don't think you're reading what I'm posting. They can introduce all the new people they want, because we haven't seen everybody in town. BUT every time they introduce a new person and that person turns out to have strong ties to one of the main characters, it stretches credibility.

You're arguing that Big Jim wouldn't check on everybody... and that's 100% correct... but he would check on important people and people with which he had strong ties... he would ignore everyone else. Those are the people they should introduce as new characters. If every few episodes we find more people that are strongly tied to Big Jim... then you have to start asking why didn't Big Jim check on those people sooner?

Season one had his "best enemy" the farmer dude who was controlling the reservoir that they needed... and the sheriff and reverend who were in on the drugs with Big Jim... then the drug lady comes in and that's when Jim finds out he and Barbie are connected through her... now this season he's suddenly linked to the barber who dated his ex-wife and that the barber and Jim's brother in law are tight and know Jim's wife didn't really die but I guess just left town... and so it goes.

Is every new character they drop into the show going to have longstanding ties with Big Jim? That's what I'm saying... they can't keep doing that. Your "he can't check on everyone" argument falls apart if everyone they introduce us to is his best friend, his lifelong enemy, or related to him... those are exactly the people he should be checking on when stuff went down.

I'm saying the next batch of new people they introduce us to in the town had better have ties to someone else... and not Big Jim... that's all I'm saying.
No I am reading your posts but I still don't think he would of checked on important people to him in the few days this has been going on.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
"red-head" = Julia Shumway. Are you sure you read the novel?
Sure, five years ago in 2009. I've read about 50 other novels since then, so that one goes to the back of the line. You agree with me that her character was quite a bit older than Barbie?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hmm, I am debating to stop or keep watching this s(how/eries) with tomorrow's episode. Hmm!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sure, five years ago in 2009. I've read about 50 other novels since then, so that one goes to the back of the line. You agree with me that her character was quite a bit older than Barbie?
One of the few things they kept the same are the names of the major characters - at least the ones that appeared in both the print and screen versions. But yes, Julia in the book was older and kind of dumpy. We talked about that at some length last year when everyone was surprised at how much the series was diverging from the novel.

The last things one could say about Rachelle Lefevre is that she's either old or dumpy. She was transformed into your typical hot & sexy heroine, the best to attract the coveted young adult male demographic. Such are the "demands" of television.
Marc Wielage and phildaant like this.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 686
These days, is there anything that someone does not devote a Website to .. ??

Book vs Show :

http://thatwasnotinthebook.com/diff/under-the-dome
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Kings commentary on Book vs Show

http://stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to say I was underwhelmed last season and this season things are sinking faster ..

Oddly, I feel like my main beef is the inclusion of the Dome being some sort of freak micro environment capable of life as normal ... in the book, to me anyway, the Dome being a death trap that slowly warmed and had soot and fumes build up, smelling bad, etc, was a major detail ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The goofy changes in the show -- the angst, the weather, the deal with the rain, the lake -- don't make a helluva lotta sense. One hopes there's an eventual payoff here, but I'm starting to smell a Lost-like stench...

That stench is not your imagination ... Brian K. Vaughan was the showrunner and executive producer of the series .. although even he has now exited the series ..
Marc Wielage likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I have to say I was underwhelmed last season and this season things are sinking faster ..

Oddly, I feel like my main beef is the inclusion of the Dome being some sort of freak micro environment capable of life as normal ... in the book, to me anyway, the Dome being a death trap that slowly warmed and had soot and fumes build up, smelling bad, etc, was a major detail ..
That is why I am thinking of giving up by not watching any more new episodes like tonight's.
mgkdragn likes this.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
That is why I am thinking of giving up by not watching any more new episodes like tonight's.
I can understand although not particularly like, the rewrite of the book, but I just can't understand or like the exclusion of that particular detail ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Interesting take by SK, considering how he has publicly expressed his loathing for Kubrik's version of "The Shining."
phildaant likes this.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
Interesting take by SK, considering how he has publicly expressed his loathing for Kubrik's version of "The Shining."
And I'd personally take Kubrick's film over the King exec produced mini-series 10 times over ..

and although he did not have a huge role, Dick Hallorann/Scatman Crothers stole the show, IMO ..

Hong Kong Phooey ..
CPanther95, gwsat and phildaant like this.

Uncle Willie

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
And I'd personally take Kubrick's film over the King exec produced mini-series 10 times over ..

and although he did not have a huge role, Dick Hallorann/Scatman Crothers stole the show, IMO ..

Hong Kong Phooey ..
Amen! Whether King liked the result or not, most believe that Kubrick's The Shining is one of the finest films ever made. I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly. Despite King's expressed fondness for the TV version of Under the Dome, most of us seem to think it is just one more mediocre television drama. I agree with that assessment too.
Sharp1080, phildaant and mgkdragn like this.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Despite King's expressed fondness for the TV version of Under the Dome, most of us seem to think it is just one more mediocre television drama. I agree with that assessment too.
Of course King is going to puff the TV version. He has a vested interest in its success. If he came out and called it a steaming pile of bovine fertilizer, which he may well feel deep down in his heart of hearts, he would undoubtedly hurt the audience numbers. And make CBS, which is giving him a large pile of money to adapt his book to television, very peeved.

I would take whatever fondness he professes for this show with a large shaker of salt.
Keenan, phildaant and mgkdragn like this.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Of course King is going to puff the TV version. He has a vested interest in its success. If he came out and called it a steaming pile of bovine fertilizer, which he may well feel deep down in his heart of hearts, he would undoubtedly hurt the audience numbers. And make CBS, which is giving him a large pile of money to adapt his book to television, very peeved.

I would take whatever fondness he professes for this show with a large shaker of salt.
Yeah, I'm sure he's in for a piece of the streaming action / disk action / ad action / any merch action (although I've yet to see a line of action figures and a giant Dome for them to live in, or, for that matter any t-shirts or other schwag I'm sure his contract covers that) ..

And let's not leave out any future CBS projects he would certainly not want to jeopardize by stating what he might really think ..
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 502
The issue here isn't that they changed so much from the book. The issue is what they put on the screen wasn't very good.

I don't mind if a book I like is changed if the end result is made with respect for the source and the outcome is quality. Peter Jackson changed a lot in both the LotR and Hobbit and apart from a few moments (<cough>Dead Men of Dunharrow<cough>) what he put on the screen showed he was clearly someone who gave a crap.

I never got that sense when I was watching Dome. I got the sense it was between-season filler produced by people who were not that creative.
Keenan and phildaant like this.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Rachelle = best hair on tv.
phildaant likes this.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So east coasters, how is tonight's episode so far? Is it still bad? :P
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You think anybody bothers to watch this thing in real time?
phildaant likes this.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Especially when there is so much in the way of commercials and promos to remove.

CBS are real A-holes, as tonight's episode was only 39:35 in length.
phildaant likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Record in advance and start watching after a while to skip the lame intro(duction), commercials, etc.

Anyways, I got BUSY tonight and said frak it after reading the comments and ratings online. I will resume after S2E3 if it gets better (doubt it!).

Last edited by phildaant; 07-21-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I started watching it after the DVR had captured about half an hour. Unlike the VCR days, I can start watching the recorded part before the DVR had finished recording the show, and still be able to FF past the commercials until I catch up to real time, which usually doesn't happen if I wait until 1/4th of the show had already aired before I start viewing the recorded portion from the beginning.

Tomorrow night I'll wait a bit longer than 1/4th of the show had aired because I usually skip the "coming up" filler before the commercial breaks in America's Got Talent.
phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.

Last edited by Mark12547; 07-22-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
I started watching it after the DVR had captured about half an hour. Unlike the VCR days, I can start watching the recorded part before the DVR had finished recording the show, and still be able to FF past the commercials until I catch up to real time, which usually doesn't happen if I wait until 1/4th of the show had already aired before I start viewing the recorded portion from the beginning...
Yep. A 30 minutes show, I start watching about 8 minutes of recording (22 minutes of the episode). An hour show is about 18 minutes (42 minutes of the episode). Calculate if needed to skip the intro(duction), highlights, etc.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Tonight's episode was interesting ... more drama, but why do they insist on making a so-called believer so crazy?

But we did learn
Spoiler!

And it was interesting
Spoiler!

Yes, this still holds my interest.
phildaant and WilliamR like this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Tonight's episode was interesting ... more drama, but why do they insist on making a so-called believer so crazy?

But we did learn

Spoiler!

And it was interesting

Spoiler!

Yes, this still holds my interest.
Agreed, pretty good episode and I like the whole mystery/story of the new girl.
phildaant likes this.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Especially when there is so much in the way of commercials and promos to remove.

CBS are real A-holes, as tonight's episode was only 39:35 in length.
I would never know if it was 39 minutes or 50 minutes. I quickly scan past the commercials. The same for just about everything I've watched since the late 80's.
phildaant likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I don't think those wimpy masks they were wearing would stop them from getting infected, specially if they were taking them off on top of the pigs like the scientist did.

So she decided to kill all the religious people off the bat? mmm

Julia Julia Julia.. what are you doing?
phildaant likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm already tired of the Science Teacher....here's hoping that she reaps what she sewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
Julia Julia Julia.. what are you doing?
...I guess that I was right that "Flack" is the UTD version of Sawyer.
phildaant likes this.