post #1891 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
The chinese finger trap is all you need to dispel that thought. Eggshell strength in the long-mode is another. Take an egg (the long way) and try to pinch it between your finger and thumb... it is near impossible... but you can easily puncture through the sides... and the finger trap easily falls off with a little pinch, but pull as hard as you want and it grips tighter.

The brute force bomb wasn't the way into the dome... but that doesn't mean it isn't a semi-permeable membrane that allows smaller things through.
Or, perhaps it's more like when you put corn starch into water: if you hit it suddenly and sharply, you can't penetrate it. You can even run across a large amount of it. However, if you gently push your hand into it, it will sink in easily.

Perhaps the dome is some sort of a non-Newtonian substance. So, explosions and sound waves bounce off, but vaporous materials pass easily through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
You mean things like radiation and sound waves?
Probably radiation would get through, but the bomb that was aimed at the dome wasn't radioactive. It was just a really, really big explosive device.

Sound waves could be blocked due to the sharpness of the sound waves - it would be like tapping on the dome, which would resist it.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 08-01-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
“I just found a huge stash of food that can feed the entire town for months if carefully rationed. Let’s throw a party and eat it all right now!”
Freakin’ idiots. Deserve to starve to death. Preferably sooner rather than later.
No worse than...
"I know... lets compare blood samples to see if she's different" (Joel and the two dumb girls go to the lab- draw blood from newcomer girl and put it under a microscope) "well- what do you see?" "I have no idea- I'm out of my league... we need a scientist!"...
Well then why he heck did you suggest comparing blood samples in the first place if you have no clue about such procedures?
They have morphed Joel who was supposedly "the smart one" into probably the lease intelligent character on the show... and that's saying something!

I'll consider using Dome Logic next time I need to do an auto repair... "let's pull the engine to see what's wrong"... after pulling engine... "well, what's the problem?"... "I have no idea- I'm not a mechanic!"
slowbiscuit likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1893 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Or, perhaps it's more like when you put corn starch into water: if you hit it suddenly and sharply, you can't penetrate it. You can even run across a large amount of it. However, if you gently push your hand into it, it will sink in easily.

Perhaps the dome is some sort of a non-Newtonian substance. So, explosions and sound waves bounce off, but vaporous materials pass easily through.

Probably radiation would get through, but the bomb that was aimed at the dome wasn't radioactive. It was just a really, really big explosive device.

Sound waves could be blocked due to the sharpness of the sound waves - it would be like tapping on the dome, which would resist it.
I think you'll find that the real answer is simply that the dome is magic. It decides what it wants to let through and what it doesn't. That gives the writers the ability to change the rules whenever they feel like it.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1894 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
I think you'll find that the real answer is simply that the dome is magic. It decides what it wants to let through and what it doesn't. That gives the writers the ability to change the rules whenever they feel like it.
Yep, it's pointless to speculate on anything, really .. "Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat .. "

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1895 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
So Lost but without the suspense. But with the "let's not tell the others". Oh well. I should just be thankful they rarely do flashbacks.

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
post #1896 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Oh, no doubt.

I was just trying to give the writers an out that had some real science behind it...

Just wait until Big Jim has to share a ceremonial cup of spring water from a secret cave to crown the new Monarch.... Perhaps it might turn out to be Nicki or Paulo....
post #1897 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

You're waaaaay overthinking this.
post #1898 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You're waaaaay overthinking this.
I think there's more thought and effort put into our posts here than the "writers" put into their Dome episodes
It's really getting ridiculous at this point... if for some reason the town needed 18 tons of plutonium next week, we'd learn that Chesters Mill was sitting on top of the mother lode of 99.9% pure plutonium just waiting to be hauled out.... because the dome wanted it!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #1899 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Clearly the point of the tunnel is to setup up a spin-off "Under Under the Dome"
Garrett Adams and phildaant like this.
post #1900 of 2547 Old 08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Clearly the point of the tunnel is to setup up a spin-off "Under Under the Dome"
Holy franchise, Batman! Talk about peasants under glass!

phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1901 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
No worse than...
"I know... lets compare blood samples to see if she's different" (Joel and the two dumb girls go to the lab- draw blood from newcomer girl and put it under a microscope) "well- what do you see?" "I have no idea- I'm out of my league... we need a scientist!"...
Well then why he heck did you suggest comparing blood samples in the first place if you have no clue about such procedures?
They have morphed Joel who was supposedly "the smart one" into probably the lease intelligent character on the show... and that's saying something!

I'll consider using Dome Logic next time I need to do an auto repair... "let's pull the engine to see what's wrong"... after pulling engine... "well, what's the problem?"... "I have no idea- I'm not a mechanic!"
Damn you stole my thunder, was going to post this as a classic Under the Dumb moment. Classic writing, classicly acted. You've got to wonder how these guys keep a straight face when they read and 'act' these plots. Agree with arch that it's pretty well devolved into camp now, so they should just roll with it.

But I think he's Joe, not Joel. And I really would have liked to have seen the bitch-slapping cat fight instead of Joe going all stupid again in the lab. Norrie needs a good bitch slap at this point.
post #1902 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
But I think he's Joe, not Joel. And I really would have liked to have seen the bitch-slapping cat fight instead of Joe going all stupid again in the lab. Norrie needs a good bitch slap at this point.
It is Joe, and I agree. Faced with the choice between Norrie the bitch and the dead girl for a girlfriend, I'm picking the dead girl. She's hotter too.
post #1903 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
No worse than...

Quote:
Damn you stole my thunder, was going to post this as a classic Under the Dumb moment. Classic writing, classicly acted. You've got to wonder how these guys keep a straight face when they read and 'act' these plots. Agree with arch that it's pretty well devolved into camp now, so they should just roll with it.

The posts here continue to make me laugh my fanny off. Keep up the good work guys!

Speaking of the tunnel, perhaps the spinoff might be called Barbie Big Jim and the Gang Take the Subway.
phildaant likes this.
post #1904 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The posts here continue to make me laugh my fanny off. Keep up the good work guys!

Speaking of the tunnel, perhaps the spinoff might be called Barbie Big Jim and the Gang Take the Subway.
Or, more simply stated, Our Gang!

Bobby 

post #1905 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If it weren't for the weekly TV.com write ups slamming the show, I'd have probably stopped watching. But now I feel I have to watch the episode in order to fully appreciate the column.
phildaant likes this.
post #1906 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
If it weren't for the weekly TV.com write ups slamming the show, I'd have probably stopped watching. But now I feel I have to watch the episode in order to fully appreciate the column.
I don't need to watch it.
post #1907 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Thanks for the reminder, this latest recap was hysterical, great stuff!
phildaant likes this.
post #1908 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have reached what for me is the final stage before deleting the season pass. I will fast forward through the next couple of shows looking for redeeming content. Then if there is none, flush the show.

I watch bad SF sometimes, but this show is abominable.
phildaant likes this.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #1909 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
I watch bad SF sometimes, but this show is abominable.
You're watching it wrong. Think of it as a 40-minute episode of MST3K when you combine it with the TV.com reviews, and then you'll enjoy the experience for what it is (i.e. comedy, not drama).
slowbiscuit and replayrob like this.
post #1910 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Really, it was pretty clear from the pilot episode last summer that this show was going to have very little to do with the massive page-turner of a book Steven King wrote. After the next couple of episodes it was clear that it was going to be bad on an epic level. I'm still watching because I'm curious how low it can go. And, as others have said, if you just watch it for the laughs you're ahead of the game.

I actually felt sorry for Dean Norris. Here he is, coming off the role of a lifetime on a TV show that will always be considered one of the finest ever produced, to.... this. But hey - Dean's gotta' eat.
slowbiscuit and phildaant like this.
post #1911 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Really, it was pretty clear from the pilot episode last summer that this show was going to have very little to do with the massive page-turner of a book Steven King wrote. After the next couple of episodes it was clear that it was going to be bad on an epic level. I'm still watching because I'm curious how low it can go. And, as others have said, if you just watch it for the laughs you're ahead of the game.

I actually felt sorry for Dean Norris. Here he is, coming off the role of a lifetime on a TV show that will always be considered one of the finest ever produced, to.... this. But hey - Dean's gotta' eat.
I wonder what the actors think of it. Maybe they don't care since it is easy $$$.
post #1912 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 06:39 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It sounds like UTD is doing very well in the "have nothing else worthwhile to do so will continue to watch to see how low it goes" demo. Unfortunately this is one of the least coveted demos for advertisers because it's members seldom leave their couches to actually go out and buy stuff...

ron
gwsat and phildaant like this.
post #1913 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post
It sounds like UTD is doing very well in the "have nothing else worthwhile to do so will continue to watch to see how low it goes" demo. Unfortunately this is one of the least coveted demos for advertisers because it's members seldom leave their couches to actually go out and buy stuff...

ron
One word: Sharknado
phildaant likes this.
post #1914 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
It is Joe, and I agree. Faced with the choice between Norrie the bitch and the dead girl for a girlfriend, I'm picking the dead girl. She's hotter too.
Joe's clearly an idiot. They should ignore him and go off together to become foster parents of Dome egg babies.

post #1915 of 2547 Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post
One word: Sharknado
Please. Compared to Under the Dome,, Sharknado is a work of inspired genius.
Garrett Adams and tomhunter8 like this.
post #1916 of 2547 Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yep, it's pointless to speculate on anything, really .. "Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat .. "
"...and now here's something we hope you'll really like!"

Quote:
I would have went with... "Beneath the Under the Dome"... note the additional "the" just to make the title as silly as the plot would be

Quote:
But I think he's Joe, not Joel.
He was supposed to be smart last season... with the drawings and the calculations... but when they actually showed his work, we all complained about how wrong it was... that maybe he realized he wasn't as smart as he thought he was

Which reminds me... something nobody else seems to have picked up on.

They established that we are only a couple of weeks into the Dome experience... BUT in the pig flu episode, the teacher specifically said she had been "studying for weeks".... so is that a glitch in the writing? OR is she at some point going to be revealed as yet another person who "knew" the Dome was coming.

I find it odd how these Dome-expecters didn't seem to prepare for it... I mean, if you thought you knew this was going to happen... why not leave town like Big Jim's "dead" ex-wife did? For that matter... why didn't she take her son with her? And the ones who stayed, why didn't they doomsday-pack more supplies? Sam and the Barber seem woefully unprepared for something they clearly seemed to be expecting to happen with many years to prepare for it apparently since the time they found the egg/meteor as kids.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1917 of 2547 Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Please. Compared to Under the Dome,, Sharknado is a work of inspired genius.
Not having seen Sharknado, I watched Sharknado 2 last nite. I have the feeling if you liked the first one, then you'll love the second.. Future cult classic.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1918 of 2547 Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Which reminds me... something nobody else seems to have picked up on.

They established that we are only a couple of weeks into the Dome experience... BUT in the pig flu episode, the teacher specifically said she had been "studying for weeks".... so is that a glitch in the writing? OR is she at some point going to be revealed as yet another person who "knew" the Dome was coming.

I find it odd how these Dome-expecters didn't seem to prepare for it... I mean, if you thought you knew this was going to happen... why not leave town like Big Jim's "dead" ex-wife did? For that matter... why didn't she take her son with her? And the ones who stayed, why didn't they doomsday-pack more supplies? Sam and the Barber seem woefully unprepared for something they clearly seemed to be expecting to happen with many years to prepare for it apparently since the time they found the egg/meteor as kids.
One week. Two weeks. All studied up.

Maybe stock pile widow's husband knew the dome was coming. Maybe Sam knew but figured he'd just kill the replacement hands. Maybe crazy barber knew he could leave to record new CD's, just as long as he returned in two weeks (that's 12 dome/hours).

Now that Barbie is sheriff (hired under the authority of the town floozy), he can track himself down for the murder of same town floozy's husband. "You're coming with me!"
post #1919 of 2547 Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
"You're coming with me!"
Shouldn't that be, "I'm coming with me!"?
post #1920 of 2547 Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
"...and now here's something we hope you'll really like!"

I would have went with... "Beneath the Under the Dome"... note the additional "the" just to make the title as silly as the plot would be

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page