post #1981 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I put the Fisker in with the Volt. Too limited a range.
The Volt has a 400mi range CP....
50 Electric
350 gas
-------------
400 mi range

It's automatic too, no switching from electric to gas.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
50 Electric
350 gas
-------------
400 mi range

Range in a hybrid is a moving target, too. If you do most of your driving short-range in the city, particularly a hilly city, you can get much more. Especially once you get a feel for how to keep it in the EV mode.
post #1983 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
50 Electric
350 gas
-------------
400 mi range

I don't count range using gas. If I want that I'll get a bigger tank in a conventional vehicle.

If I jump to electric it'll be all electric with a practical range - not a novelty electric range on a gas vehicle. Tried that with a Prius when they came out and the mileage was not even close to advertised. Luckily I sold it after 12 months for exactly what I paid for it new. Never had that happen before.
post #1984 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
I don't count range using gas. If I want that I'll get a bigger tank in a conventional vehicle.

If I jump to electric it'll be all electric with a practical range - not a novelty electric range on a gas vehicle. Tried that with a Prius when they came out and the mileage was not even close to advertised. Luckily I sold it after 12 months for exactly what I paid for it new. Never had that happen before.
It's funny you should mention that since it reminded me of a couple buddies that bought and sold slightly used Prius's that first year they came out, from folks that could not stand them, then turned around and hauled them out West and made quite a bit of money for several months ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1985 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You just didn't know how to drive it. *

My buddy routinely gets 80+ in his Prius, 150+ in his PIP. Yep, he's a two Prius family -- and his daughter drives a hybrid crossover (forget which one). He sneers, Jack Bauer-like, at the giant oil companies and their puny attempts to gouge him at the pump.

* Or you did most of your driving on the highway, where the hybrid engine advantage is muted by speed and wind.

Last edited by archiguy; 08-09-2014 at 02:05 PM.
post #1986 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You just didn't know how to drive it. *

My buddy routinely gets 80+ in his Prius, 150+ in his PIP. Yep, he's a two Prius family -- and his daughter drives a hybrid crossover (forget which one). He sneers, Jack Bauer-like, at the giant oil companies and their puny attempts to gouge him at the pump.

* Or you did most of your driving on the highway, where the EV advantage is muted by speed and wind.
Knew exactly how to drive it and rarely did highway driving. If they're getting 80 mpg, they've refined it. Nevertheless, it is still reliant on the gas pump. Those oil companies are still grinning at his feeble attempt to cut into their profits.

The Tesla runs on natural gas, nuclear, or coal - or however we decide to power our electrical grid. MUR-ica!

The only reason hybrids exist is so the car companies can keep raking in the dough on the replacement parts and service required to keep a combustion engine going - while appeasing those that want to move to electric. It's the same as adding 10% ethanol to your gas, lowering your MPG, and then trying to feel good that you are running your car on corn.
bobby94928 likes this.

Last edited by CPanther95; 08-09-2014 at 02:14 PM.
post #1987 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All I know is I'm not squeezing my 6'1" 205 LBS arthritic back into a tin can on wheels that would get squashed like a bug by some texting / phone talking clown in a semi-truck or a full size SUV / Pickup .. I don't care how many airbags they come equipped with .. gas mileage means nothing if you don't feel safe .. or at least safer ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1988 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Gas or electric. It don't matter as long as you buy from Big Jim. You'll luv the feeling when Big Jim is dealin'

www.bigjimrennie.com

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #1989 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Gas or electric. It don't matter as long as you buy from Big Jim. You'll luv the feeling when Big Jim is dealin'

www.bigjimrennie.com
When Big Jim is Dealin', You'll Feel Like You're Stealin' ...
phildaant likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1990 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 04:18 PM

Can't believe Big Jim has a website.
phildaant likes this.
post #1991 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Big Jim is a mover and a shaker. No stinking dome is gonna keep him from selling a car.

Philaant doesn't like Jim's website.

post #1992 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Big Jim is a mover and a shaker. No stinking dome is gonna keep him from selling a car.

Philaant doesn't like Jim's website.
Eh?
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #1993 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Phil,
I saw this today shopping and immediately thought of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140809_120103698.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	205809  
taxman48 and phildaant like this.
post #1994 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post
Phil,
I saw this today shopping and immediately thought of you.
Heh, I heard about it. I have never tried it before though.
post #1995 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Eh?
Just trying to be funny.
phildaant likes this.

post #1996 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Just trying to be funny.
/me throws a rotten tomato at you for the bad joke. :P
post #1997 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
/me throws a rotten tomato at you for the bad joke. :P
phildaant likes this.

post #1998 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
They should flush the Volt.

Give me a Tesla. Great acceleration and close to 300 mi. range. Plus it doesn't look like a suppository.
And close to three times the price for the 300 mile version with the 85kWh battery. I would prefer the Nissan Leaf for an all electric car because it costs much less. I would not want the Volt because it still uses gas and since it is not a zero emission vehicle does not qualify to ride on the HOV and HOT lanes(with only one person) around here.

But even still, the Leaf is still twice as much as I want to pay for any car. I hate driving and would rather spend the money I save by buying a $15K car for something I enjoy, like Audio, Video, or computer items.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1999 of 2437 Old 08-09-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
If I jump to electric it'll be all electric with a practical range - not a novelty electric range on a gas vehicle. Tried that with a Prius when they came out and the mileage was not even close to advertised.
You can also look forward to its range decreasing over time as the batteries wear out, I would imagine. At least a fuel tank doesn't have diminishing capacity as the years go by.
post #2000 of 2437 Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can also look forward to its range decreasing over time as the batteries wear out, I would imagine. At least a fuel tank doesn't have diminishing capacity as the years go by.
That's apparently not an issue with the Prius. That technology is now around 15 years old, I think, and is well established. The batteries have been holding up well. They use lithiums in the PiP, but that's newer and doesn't yet have an established track record.
post #2001 of 2437 Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am waiting for Click & Clack to weigh in on the car talk.

It is ok if they extend this show. It is OK if they don't renew.
What they must do is cap it. (Big Finish, or even small one) but resolution in some fashion.
Is that possible with not knowing status of renewal until after filming is over?
post #2002 of 2437 Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
That's apparently not an issue with the Prius. That technology is now around 15 years old, I think, and is well established. The batteries have been holding up well.
It would be nice if they used the same technology in other devices, then, as the lithium-ion batteries in laptops and other devices still wear out. If such an ability for unlimited battery life exists, I'm not sure if it's only in cars because it's cost-prohibitive to put it in smaller devices or if the electronics manufacturers just want to make more money by selling replacement batteries.
post #2003 of 2437 Old 08-10-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It would be nice if they used the same technology in other devices, then, as the lithium-ion batteries in laptops and other devices still wear out. If such an ability for unlimited battery life exists, I'm not sure if it's only in cars because it's cost-prohibitive to put it in smaller devices or if the electronics manufacturers just want to make more money by selling replacement batteries.
It's mature technology now after 15+ years. I'm sure that the batteries weaken somewhat over time, but apparently not enough for even early Prius owners to require replacement as yet. That's what I hear. I don't know much about the Volt's battery life.
post #2004 of 2437 Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

We're certainly already well beyond the "7 year life" scare tactic used by some.
post #2005 of 2437 Old 08-11-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I put off watching last Mondays show until tonight.

My first comment is: It's a bad sign when you come to a thread to see what everyone think's of the latest episode, only to discover it's been hijacked by General Motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Yes, a bit of water washes out the dust from the entire atmosphere in the dome, just like a few chemicals poured into a lake instantly clears the "blood" from the rain already in the air, or a "home-made" electromagnet can counter a huge electromagnetic field that is powerful enough to pull nails out of the supporting beams of a house, or, for that matter, a man would just willingly jump into a bottomless pit and end his life rather than continue to strive for life.

But there is a secret that makes it possible to enjoy such shows ...
Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
But it's nice to wake up without hangovers!
I was thinking Doobie. No hangover, and after watching, I can't remember how bad it was.
Oh, and that water stopped the wind as well. I'll have to remember that. I hate wind.

Quote:
Actually, it sort of makes sense in a Domish kind of way. Prius might be the only car around that can keep running indefinitely since the Domers presumably have a finite supply of gasoline, but an infinite supply of propane. Propane runs the generators that make their ample supply of electricity. And Prius' can run on electric power only (assuming Julia had the foresight to buy the plug-in version that can be attached to a generator with its handy-dandy included power cord). So, voila!

Of course, it could also mean GM didn't pony up the sponsorship bucks to plug the Volt instead. Cheapskates.
Thank god we stopped using fossel fuels to generate lectricity last century!As for Barbie specifically mentioning the Prius, he didn't want her to think he meant her other 15 cars.

Favorite moments:

I loved how bitch was all, "Are you trying to get every guy to hit on you?", and then, 4 seconds later, "And you're all just standing around?".

Or, how about how they knew the exact spot where the egg was, even though none of them were there when Julia threw it in?

Or how they made it rise out of the water. Or how after that, they just went back home to watch replacement babe stare at it (but they were sitting around, not standing, so I guess that was ok).

Or how one minute Sam was telling barbie how he planned on killing the "hands", and the next it was, "On second thought, I think I'll just jump out of this career killing show". "Bye".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
I am waiting for Click & Clack to weigh in on the car talk.

It is ok if they extend this show. It is OK if they don't renew.
What they must do is cap it. (Big Finish, or even small one) but resolution in some fashion.
Is that possible with not knowing status of renewal until after filming is over?
Check out the last episode of "Halt and catch fire".
post #2006 of 2437 Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I put off watching last Mondays show until tonight.

My first comment is: It's a bad sign when you come to a thread to see what everyone think's of the latest episode, only to discover it's been hijacked by General Motors!

I was thinking Doobie. No hangover, and after watching, I can't remember how bad it was.
Oh, and that water stopped the wind as well. I'll have to remember that. I hate wind.

Thank god we stopped using fossel fuels to generate lectricity last century!As for Barbie specifically mentioning the Prius, he didn't want her to think he meant her other 15 cars.

Favorite moments:

I loved how bitch was all, "Are you trying to get every guy to hit on you?", and then, 4 seconds later, "And you're all just standing around?".

Or, how about how they knew the exact spot where the egg was, even though none of them were there when Julia threw it in?

Or how they made it rise out of the water. Or how after that, they just went back home to watch replacement babe stare at it (but they were sitting around, not standing, so I guess that was ok).

Or how one minute Sam was telling barbie how he planned on killing the "hands", and the next it was, "On second thought, I think I'll just jump out of this career killing show". ..
But remember Sam had access to the book. I figured he knew something. Especially since everything out of his mouth has been lies. So I didn't expect that to be any different.
post #2007 of 2437 Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But remember Sam had access to the book. I figured he knew something. Especially since everything out of his mouth has been lies. So I didn't expect that to be any different.
Maybe the book says, "Get out of this show b4 it kills your career". Dean has not seen the diary yet, afaik. That could explain why he's sticking with it.

Even Dwight only lasted an episode or two. But then, he's seen the book!
post #2008 of 2437 Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Give me a Tesla. Great acceleration and close to 300 mi. range. Plus it doesn't look like a suppository.
I can feel the Tesla showing up in another TV series.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #2009 of 2437 Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Wow, no comments about tonight's 41;05 show.

I figured that jumping into the big hole was going to be an exit from the dome. Still trying to figure out the meaning of the building the egg keeps showing them. I hope you took note of the hand print on the mother's grave.

A much better episode tonight.

Oh, and why don't the kids jump into the hole with the egg? Oh wait, that would end the show before its time.
WilliamR likes this.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #2010 of 2437 Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Wow, no comments about tonight's 41;05 show.

I figured that jumping into the big hole was going to be an exit from the dome. Still trying to figure out the meaning of the building the egg keeps showing them. I hope you took note of the hand print on the mother's grave.

A much better episode tonight.

Oh, and why don't the kids jump into the hole with the egg? Oh wait, that would end the show before its time.

Agreed, pretty good solid episode this week.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page