post #181 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I haven't read the book, but so far it seems to me that the "dome", while it is in the title of the show, is really a minor character or just a tool to corral this group of people together and see what interactions take place between them, a soap opera triggered by a sci-fi event. The properties of the dome, while the show will no doubt spend some time on the subject, are insignificant to the overall story. So whether the cow was sliced razor thin or a section a foot wide really doesn't matter. Just my take on this first episode anyway.

Pretty much spot on .. after the initial doming, the dome itself is just basically there .. this is a microcosm of things degrading quickly once cut off from society at large .. King has stated that if anyone notices political undertones as well as environmental commentary, it's intentional .. whether of not the series plays out that way, who knows but I'm sure it will have some of that flavor ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I think it's a more entertaining thread read here as you non-book readers speculate .. I'm not going to spoil anything on this thread but I may be unable to refrain from offering a hint now and again .. biggrin.gif
I haven't read the book, but I'm one of those weird ducks who doesn't mind spoilers in the least. For example, I sure would like to have known ahead of time what was in store for Janet Leigh in the shower so I could have hidden my eyes. smile.gif
post #183 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I haven't read the book, but I'm one of those weird ducks who doesn't mind spoilers in the least. For example, I sure would like to have known ahead of time what was in store for Janet Leigh in the shower so I could have hidden my eyes. smile.gif

Well, since I don't want to get flamingly roasted by others that surely will mind ...

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #184 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I haven't read the book, but so far it seems to me that the "dome", while it is in the title of the show, is really a minor character or just a tool to corral this group of people together and see what interactions take place between them, a soap opera triggered by a sci-fi event. The properties of the dome, while the show will no doubt spend some time on the subject, are insignificant to the overall story. So whether the cow was sliced razor thin or a section a foot wide really doesn't matter. Just my take on this first episode anyway.

That's really true. It's about what happens inside and how fast things can fall apart. King gets into a lot of the Dome's properties & effects and the military tries all sorts of things in the book, but I don't know how much of that the series will have time to get into. It already appears, based on the changes to the Dome's properties I mentioned earlier, that the residents of TV's Chester's Mill will be more isolated than those of the book.
post #185 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Well, since I don't want to get flamingly roasted by others that surely will mind ...
I appreciate it. I enjoy consuming media spoiler free.

Unlike my friend's girlfriend, who when she reads a book will read the last page first. I don't understand that, it's not like reading the last page first gives you any context to the rest of the story.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #186 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I was hoping the Under the Dome would have been available as an eBook from our library but it's not. I wanted to read the book but I guess I'll just have to figure it out like everyone else.

If you're desperate, read the plot summary on Wikipedia. wink.gif
post #187 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If you're desperate, read the plot summary on Wikipedia. wink.gif

Awww man, I can't do that! eek.gif However, now that you've planted the seed wink.gif
post #188 of 1866 Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just watched the pilot and I thought it was laughably bad. The cow scene had me do a spit-take (among others), and I found the writing in general to be sloppy. OK, there's an invisible wall covering your town, why wouldn't you immediately be trying to get out? Dig under it? Go over it, around it, etc, etc? Whatever.

I don't know how long I'll be able to stick with this one.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #189 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Well there's already one HUGE plot "issue" that apparently nobody has noticed ... To wit: The dang plane crashed into the *outside* of the dome, but the pieces fell down *inside* the dome, yet, apparently nothing else can get through from either side.

"Anyone care to explain?" biggrin.gif "The slow blade penetrates the shield," perhaps? ..... Cows ... smows.
post #190 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Well there's already one HUGE plot "issue" that apparently nobody has noticed ... To wit: The dang plane crashed into the *outside* of the dome, but the pieces fell down *inside* the dome, yet, apparently nothing else can get through from either side.

Did it? When they looked up at the farm it was flying from somewhere inside the town towards the same road that Barbie was driving down.

Watch it again: http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video/F8C5422E-F9B1-CB3C-275A-6324C75E2B75/under-the-dome-pilot/

post #191 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

"Anyone care to explain?" biggrin.gif "The slow blade penetrates the shield," perhaps? ..... Cows ... smows.

The plane was definitely on the inside. You can double verify it by watching where they are standing in relation to the wall and where they look up to see the plane. I believe they even commented it was a local's plane.

post #192 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I just watched the pilot and I thought it was laughably bad. The cow scene had me do a spit-take (among others), and I found the writing in general to be sloppy. OK, there's an invisible wall covering your town, why wouldn't you immediately be trying to get out? Dig under it? Go over it, around it, etc, etc? Whatever.

Writting seems to be spot on. They are trying to determine what is going on but the majority of the people do not know what is happening yet, only a handful of people actually know what is happening. It is not until the end of the episode where they are all told what is happening (the whole town). And they beleive they can be airlifted out (they don't know it is a dome yet) so they feel they can be rescued. The otehrs that saw the wall witnessed the effect of the wall (sherrif dying, planes exploding, trucks crashing into it) so they are already realizing they are screwed. I don't think anyone's first response is going to be to drop to their knees and start digging in the ground. Everything you saw happened in like an hour or barely more, they haven't been trapped for days wondering, the town was just notified.

post #193 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, after watching the first episode, it looks like they've made a number of changes to the book's storyline. Among them.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Middle-aged, frumpy, single Julia Shumway is now a hot young babe married to a guy Barbee buried at the opening of the show - a completely new development.
No mention of Barbee being a fry cook at Rose's diner. Looks like he's just "passing through".
Sheriff Duke was in on Big Jim's scheme instead of planning to expose it.
The "hippie" college professor and his young grad student lover "adopting" a couple of kids who had gotten separated from their parents have been replaced with a mixed-race lesbian couple and their asthmatic daughter.
Radio station on autopilot is now apparently the Voice of Truth.
Big Jim's deranged son only kidnaps his girlfriend instead of killing her. The fallout shelter has been re-located from the basement of City Hall to Big Jim's backyard.
Sound doesn't penetrate the dome and only sporadic radio signals get through. These are the ones that are really going to be game changers in terms of the plotline.

And that's just what I noticed right off the bat, may have missed some. Good grief. Why even bother to keep the title? rolleyes.gif

Those are all very minor changes that are better suited for TV, the premise is still there, the overall arc of what is happening. Minor character changes and minor location changes and you think the whole title should be dropped? Seems a little extreme.

post #194 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Those are all very minor changes that are better suited for TV, the premise is still there, the overall arc of what is happening. Minor character changes and minor location changes and you think the whole title should be dropped? Seems a little extreme.

Sorry, I don't think all those changes were necessary to tell the story King wrote - and it was a damn fine story. Changing Julia's age, appearance, and marital status, for example, is probably just the typical knee-jerk reaction that TV show protagonists need to be played by young, pretty people to attract the younger demographic. However, the changes may have been "necessary" to create an open-ended, multi-season series - gotta' keep that cash register ringing.

As I've mentioned, the changes to the Dome's properties have the most potential to retcon the plotline. Whatever. I'll be watching, regardless. It's summertime and the TV livin' is easy.
post #195 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I don't agree with this at all, they just found out about the dome and are reacting to what happened. Give it a chance, it's not any better or worse than anything else on right now. It might get worse but I thought the first ep was some decent entertainment especially for a summer series.
post #196 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

However, the changes may have been "necessary" to create an open-ended, multi-season series - gotta' keep that cash register ringing.

TV Guide says this is supposed to be a limited run 13 week "TV Event".

I liked the first episode but think more programs should be mini-series to some degree.
post #197 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, I don't think all those changes were necessary to tell the story King wrote - and it was a damn fine story. Changing Julia's age, appearance, and marital status, for example, is probably just the typical knee-jerk reaction that TV show protagonists need to be played by young, pretty people to attract the younger demographic. However, the changes may have been "necessary" to create an open-ended, multi-season series - gotta' keep that cash register ringing.

As I've mentioned, the changes to the Dome's properties have the most potential to retcon the plotline. Whatever. I'll be watching, regardless. It's summertime and the TV livin' is easy.

In reply to HDTVChallenged .. the small plane was definitely inside the dome ..

"Big Jim" Rennie in the series has a totally different look than I envisioned .. I saw him as a very obese man with a slimy, smarmy, power hungry way about him and Hank from "Breaking Bad" just did not seem to fit as well .. maybe he'll grow into it ... and his son Junior certainly did not conjure up the picture of a male model that the guy playing him in this series is .. but, it's TV, so what do you want ..

The PQ I thought was excellent as well as the photography so far

And I'm in for the duration as well ..

Uncle Willie

post #198 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It's Hank from Breaking Bad not Dexter.. LOL

The bald guy from Dexter is called Masuka
mgkdragn likes this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #199 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

It's Hank from Breaking Bad not Dexter.. LOL

The bald guy from Dexter is called Masuka

You know, that's what happens when you get old .. the brain is the second thing to go .. wink.gif

I think I had Dexter on my mind since I was trying to remember to set the DVR for this weekend ..

Uncle Willie

post #200 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Why is there always a character that just stares straight up and something falling towards them without moving, like the kid does when the plane is falling. There is not a person on this planet who wouldn't start running. Reminds me of the scene in Superman 2 where the mom just stands there with her baby carriage as the radio tower falls, for like 20 seconds, instead of just walking 15 feet out of harms way. Just annoys me when characters do that.

Other then that nitpick, I enjoyed the show and will continue watching. No to go and read that Wikipedia book summary! smile.gif

Just read the book summary and I bet the TV show changes the source and reason for the dome. I hope not though because it sounds very interesting but, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
network TV seems scared of aliens these days.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #201 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Why is there always a character that just stares straight up and something falling towards them without moving, like the kid does when the plane is falling. There is not a person on this planet who wouldn't start running. Reminds me of the scene in Superman 2 where the mom just stands there with her baby carriage as the radio tower falls, for like 20 seconds, instead of just walking 15 feet out of harms way. Just annoys me when characters do that.

Other then that nitpick, I enjoyed the show and will continue watching. No to go and read that Wikipedia book summary! smile.gif

Although I read King's Under the Dome, that was nearly four years ago so I remember essentially nothing about the novel's details. That's fine with me. It's been fun seeing the TV series and having no idea what was coming, beyond the dome itself, of course.
post #202 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really surprised at the short attention spans in this thread... It's been one episode, one pilot, one hour.

The pilot for LOST had a ton of questions in it (some of which were never adequately answered in the show!!!) and it was one of the highest rated pilots of all time.

post #203 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Liked: 30
Imagine how smoggy it's gonna get inside that dome. A closed ecosystem with that many people and no electricity means a lot of people burning candles & lighting fires. The air quality is going to go into Beijing territory, and soon.

I was disappointed how many cliches were in the show - the troubled girl who's diabetic - the lovers on either side of the wall - the whole "bad guy kills one guy and his wife starts liking him" thing - the power struggle between the town councilman and the sherrif...

Why didn't anyone outside (or inside) the dome start communicating via written messages? I didn't see anyone outside hold up a sign trying to start a dialog. It seems like it's one of the first things you'd do.

A few things I did like: the semi crashing into the barrier was crazy and imaginative. The redhead is hot. The seizure kid and the 'stars are falling' thing adds to the air of mystery. The total lack of sound going through the barrier - they did a good job with that. During the early part of the scene with the fire engines (where the 'bad guy' stops them from crashing into the dome) I was thinking "boy the sound engineer really screwed up" until I realized it was intentional.

I'll be watching.
post #204 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Imagine how smoggy it's gonna get inside that dome. A closed ecosystem with that many people and no electricity means a lot of people burning candles & lighting fires. The air quality is going to go into Beijing territory, and soon.
And cows, imagine the cows, sealed inside that dome...eek.gif
post #205 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Propane AND methane!
post #206 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Did it? When they looked up at the farm it was flying from somewhere inside the town towards the same road that Barbie was driving down.

Watch it again: http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video/F8C5422E-F9B1-CB3C-275A-6324C75E2B75/under-the-dome-pilot/

No need to stream ... still in the Tivo's "wastebasket." Maybe it was the third beer, but I could swear that thing was flying back *into* town, officer. wink.gif I'll recheck later ...
post #207 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Why didn't anyone outside (or inside) the dome start communicating via written messages? I didn't see anyone outside hold up a sign trying to start a dialog. It seems like it's one of the first things you'd do.
Did you miss the whole "Call the FAA" note written down on the pad after the plane crash?

Like I said above, it's been one hour. Not nearly enough time for exposition. Let the show grow organically. I anticipate at LEAST one entire episode completely devoted to digging under the wall or trying to escape.

post #208 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No need to stream ... still in the Tivo's "wastebasket." Maybe it was the third beer, but I could swear that thing was flying back *into* town, officer. wink.gif I'll recheck later ...

PS: If it wasn't "outside" the dome then there's a basic physics/geometry issue ... domes be curved ... although I suppose you could make the case that the debris "slid down" the inside of the surface from the impact point, but to me it appeared that the debris fell pretty much straight down (which isn't really right either, physics-wise.) .... Then again, maybe it was just the beer goggles. biggrin.gif
post #209 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Did you miss the whole "Call the FAA" note written down on the pad after the plane crash?
I saw it and can't understand how anybody watching the show could have missed it. And, the plane was on the INSIDE. The big vehicle that crashed into the dome was on the OUTSIDE.
post #210 of 1866 Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Propane AND methane!

Sure hope nobody lights up after about a week or so...... it could be a very short series wink.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page