'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 865Likes

Old 09-09-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's called TV.com's episode reviews.
And I'm all caught up without ever needing to destroy more of my brain cells or fast forward thumb muscle by watching.

http://www.tv.com/shows/under-the-do...-141021354056/
phildaant, gprace and Machuran like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
I love reading this take on the Dome.
http://www.tv.com/shows/under-the-do...-141021354056/
It's been great for some laughs. I hadn't read it in a few weeks. I need to remember to catch it for the last two epsisodes.

EDIT: I just finished reading it. Boy that was just too funny. I need to go back and read the ones I missed.
phildaant likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-09-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 279
They were near freezing in the overturned ambulance and neither of them had visible exhaled breath. I guess the FX budget couldn't handle it.
phildaant and Machuran like this.

Last edited by Garrett Adams; 09-10-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
And the writers keep trying to some tension about whether or not Barbie/Julia will live or die when it's so freaking obviously they'll live. .
To be fair, the show did unexpectedly kill off Sheriff Linda this season. Of course, it took Stephen King writing an episode to do that. Perhaps he'll come back for the finale and finish off the rest of them.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
They were near freezing the overturned ambulance and neither of them had visible exhaled breath. I guess the FX budget couldn't handle it.
I guess they shot the wad on this...

phildaant likes this.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
To be fair, the show did unexpectedly kill off Sheriff Linda this season. Of course, it took Stephen King writing an episode to do that. Perhaps he'll come back for the finale and finish off the rest of them.
Except, Linda was just a dumbass minor character.

A more better comparison would be the town trying to hang Barbie and that being a cliffhanger when it's obvious he wouldn't die because he's the main protagonist and the same with Julia.

Last edited by Machuran; 09-09-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 3722

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
They were near freezing the overturned ambulance and neither of them had visible exhaled breath. I guess the FX budget couldn't handle it.
They had already spent the entire budget on Rachelle's headlights.

Quote:
Why do I keep watching this show?
...because the Dome wants you to, duh.
phildaant likes this.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
They had already spent the entire budget on Rachelle's headlights.

...because the Dome wants you to, duh.
Are we Under the Dome too in real life? :P
Old 09-09-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Drat! You discovered the Dome's plan! Never fear, though. You can't escape, so knowing about the Dome's control over your life does you no good! The Dome still gets the last laugh!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Are we Under the Dome too in real life? :P
In a sense. In our case, the diameter of our dome is almost 8,000 miles and what keeps us here is the gravity of the planet that we live on and the harshness of vacuum less than 100 miles up from the surface of our planet.

There is a temporary escaping our dome, but as a passenger it could run a quarter of a million dollars per person, and even then one isn't escaping the earth's gravity well.
phildaant likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
In a sense. In our case, the diameter of our dome is almost 8,000 miles and what keeps us here is the gravity of the planet that we live on and the harshness of vacuum less than 100 miles up from the surface of our planet.

There is a temporary escaping our dome, but as a passenger it could run a quarter of a million dollars per person, and even then one isn't escaping the earth's gravity well.
Humans need to get off this planet to Mars and farther!!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
They were near freezing in the overturned ambulance and neither of them had visible exhaled breath. I guess the FX budget couldn't handle it.
I have to add that apparently, the bomb ravaged exterior of the Dome has now miraculously become a park like setting with grass, mature trees, etc ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Agreed... there's quite a few people I'd like to shoot off into space....
phildaant likes this.

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Agreed... there's quite a few people I'd like to shoot off into space....
I'd like to shoot myself into space too!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Except, Linda was just a dumbass minor character.

A more better comparison would be the town trying to hang Barbie and that being a cliffhanger when it's obvious he wouldn't die because he's the main protagonist and the same with Julia.
Linda was hardly a minor character. She was a major character through most of the first season. When the show started, she was set up to be the hero of the story. However, her role was gradually minimized over time as the writers decided to make Barbie and Julia more prominent.

Josh Z

Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Linda was hardly a minor character. She was a major character through most of the first season. When the show started, she was set up to be the hero of the story. However, her role was gradually minimized over time as the writers decided to make Barbie and Julia more prominent.
That's not a major character, Barbie was clearly the main protagonist from the get go, the whole cliched stranger with a shady past, good looking hero that gets beaten up and has the same face wounds trope. With Julia, it became very obvious that she would also be the other main protagonist/love interest, well this season practically shoved it down out throats.

Linda was only there for the early sheriff subplot, which was pointless now that you look back on it, she was a secondary character on par with the dome kids and Jim would be the on/off antagonist where the writers try to act like they're making a complex character, but failing miserably because they keep flip flopping on whether to force a redemption or keep him a mustache twirling cartoon villain.

It's very obvious Barbie and Julia will survive no matter how many contrived dangers they try to put them in.

The science teacher replaced Linda, now we have an incompetent moron who slaps on science to every ridiculous thing. Melanie replaced Angie as another dome hand and some blander and more annoying. Sam/Lyle/Pauline/Melanie replaces the dome kids' role of going around spouting contrived dome/egg exposition and having characters see visions that'll end up going nowhere while the writers continue to make bs up.

Last edited by Machuran; 09-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I have to add that apparently, the bomb ravaged exterior of the Dome has now miraculously become a park like setting with grass, mature trees, etc ..
Wasn't the bomb exploded on one side of the dome, leaving the terrain on the opposite side of the dome in pristine condition?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We need a diversity of food, a diversity of our genetic pool, a diversity of geography to maximize chances for our species to survive, and I have heard of several people recommend a diversity of planets.

Me? I like a diversity of entertainment.

My very humble setup:
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Wasn't the bomb exploded on one side of the dome, leaving the terrain on the opposite side of the dome in pristine condition?
Bomb : Exterior of Dome

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

But the kids went to the opposite side of the dome, where the bomb wasn't.

My very humble setup:
Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's not a major character, Barbie was clearly the main protagonist from the get go, the whole cliched stranger with a shady past, good looking hero that gets beaten up and has the same face wounds trope. With Julia, it became very obvious that she would also be the other main protagonist/love interest, well this season practically shoved it down out throats.

Linda was only there for the early sheriff subplot, which was pointless now that you look back on it, she was a secondary character on par with the dome kids
You can remember things however you choose to, but that's not the way they actually happened. The pilot episode made a big stink about Linda having to take over from her dead mentor/father figure. There was also all the crap about being separated from her fiance on the other side of the dome. She was the main character at first, the surrogate that the audience was supposed to view events through.

The set-up of the show was basically the same as Sleepy Hollow. We're tricked into believing that the sheriff will be the hero, until he's shockingly killed off early, leaving his young but eager deputy/daughter surrogate to rise to the occasion.

Yes, Barbie was always a major character, but he wasn't initially the lead. He was the mysterious stranger that Linda didn't know if she could trust. Julia was very much a second-tier character below either of them.

As the first season progressed, the focus shifted towards the Barbie/Julia combo and away from Linda. As a consequence, the writers started making Linda a lot dumber and more annoying. Then Stephen King stepped in with the Season 2 premiere and said, "You know what? Why don't we just kill Linda off? Nobody will expect that. Stakes!"

Does any of this mean that I honestly expect the writers to kill off either Barbie or Julia at this point? No, not really. But I don't agree with your insistence that Linda was always some third-string character in the background who was never important to the show. She was originally supposed to be a much more important character, and her death in the S2 premiere - though certainly welcome to those of us who'd grown annoyed by her - was very unexpected.

Josh Z

Old 09-10-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
But the kids went to the opposite side of the dome, where the bomb wasn't.

My post : "I have to add that apparently, the bomb ravaged exterior of the Dome has now miraculously become a park like setting with grass, mature trees, etc .. " had nothing to do with the "kids" ..

It was an add on to Garrett's post

Uncle Willie

Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can remember things however you choose to, but that's not the way they actually happened. The pilot episode made a big stink about Linda having to take over from her dead mentor/father figure. There was also all the crap about being separated from her fiance on the other side of the dome. She was the main character at first, the surrogate that the audience was supposed to view events through.

The set-up of the show was basically the same as Sleepy Hollow. We're tricked into believing that the sheriff will be the hero, until he's shockingly killed off early, leaving his young but eager deputy/daughter surrogate to rise to the occasion.

Yes, Barbie was always a major character, but he wasn't initially the lead. He was the mysterious stranger that Linda didn't know if she could trust. Julia was very much a second-tier character below either of them.

As the first season progressed, the focus shifted towards the Barbie/Julia combo and away from Linda. As a consequence, the writers started making Linda a lot dumber and more annoying. Then Stephen King stepped in with the Season 2 premiere and said, "You know what? Why don't we just kill Linda off? Nobody will expect that. Stakes!"

Does any of this mean that I honestly expect the writers to kill off either Barbie or Julia at this point? No, not really. But I don't agree with your insistence that Linda was always some third-string character in the background who was never important to the show. She was originally supposed to be a much more important character, and her death in the S2 premiere - though certainly welcome to those of us who'd grown annoyed by her - was very unexpected.
Except in Sleepy Hollow, it's obvious that the sheriff was not the main lead. Ichabod and Abbie were clearly the main protagonists. It was promoted as Ichabod coming back to life and helping Abbie solve the mysteries in the town. Clearly Sleepy Hollow handled it a lot better seeing as how the sheriff was actually treated as a real character and not just a thrown away plot point. The sheriff and Abbie's relationship was explored, that did not happen in under the Dome, that's a huge difference right there.

Barbie and Julia were always the main lead, they're the top billings of the cast, so yes, Linda was always second fiddle to them. The sheriff storyline was just that, a pointless subplot that went nowhere. Barbie's character had main character written all over him, he fulfills just about every main hero cliche possible which is how his role is very obvious. The focus was more on Barbie getting stuck in town, the pilot emphasized on that more than Linda becoming a sheriff.

Linda was just a side character, the fiance stuff was minor and only lasted an episode (it was practically just a pointless cameo). All she did was tail more important characters (Barbie, Julia, Jim, dome kids, etc.) until she ended up getting killed off.

Her death was obvious in that the actress had another role, her character went nowhere and she was getting less and less screen time. I'd say Angie's was at least a little more shocking, but still pointless in the end.

The deaths were just there for shock value and nothing more, even though it wasn't really and was just a waste of time for the writers to dump in more pointless replacement characters. It didn't raise any stakes and it didn't have any impact whatsoever, Linda was just completely brushed over, she didn't even get a funeral like Angie or even a vigil like Barbie's fake one. Even Angie which was treated as more important didn't get anything out of it but pointless whining and angsting over nothing. Sam got away with it and now everyone is suddenly a-ok including the dome itself, he killed a girl for nothing.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Machuran; 09-10-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
just a thrown away plot point

a pointless subplot that went nowhere.

just a pointless cameo

but still pointless in the end.

just a waste of time for the writers to dump in more pointless replacement characters

pointless whining and angsting over nothing.
Great summation ...
Machuran likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 3722
They killed off The Lawnmower Man too soon. Curse you, Dome!

And what ever happened to this kid? He and Joe were BFFs in S1, now he's gone... *poof* Curse you again, Dome!

Spoiler!
aaronwt, phildaant and Machuran like this.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Old 09-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great summation ...
Thanks, but it's pretty much true though when you look back at it.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I heard Fahey wanted $10.00 an episode more than Norris .. so the Dome took Fahey out .. we ain't havin' no salary beefs here in Domeville ..

Pauly Shore was in the running as well .. I mean, think about it .. Shore has some experience ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
They killed off The Lawnmower Man too soon. Curse you, Dome!

And what ever happened to this kid? He and Joe were BFFs in S1, now he's gone... *poof* Curse you again, Dome!

Spoiler!
Machuran likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks, but it's pretty much true though when you look back at it.
Hey, I was serious ..
Machuran likes this.

Uncle Willie

Old 09-10-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Thanks for the laughs, guys! As happy as I am that I gave up watching Under the Dome early in Season 2, I am happier still that I kept my subscription to this thread. It's fun to laugh, even when it is in the wrong places.

Last edited by gwsat; 09-10-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement