'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 578Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2401 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I disagree. The done needed Melanie to do what she did and to go into the vortex, to get her there it used the "hands" to bring her there. The endangerment was to get everyone geared up to want to help her. If they didn't think they were not helping her they perhaps would not of gone along with it. This way they thought they were desperate to do it.
The vortex will be a waste of time, the writers will contrive ways to drag this show out and that's also by stopping them from leaving the dome permanently. Like Jim foolishly throwing the egg over.

Quote:
The red door/Zenith subplot is not over. Zenith is still very active. The red door served its purpose so they ones that needed to come back could go back.
The red door was a pointless plot device so they could rip off Lost's 'we have to go back' plot twist which was an actual game changer for that show. Here, it's a complete waste of time. This was a pointless escape attempt, there was no need for them to go to Zenith at all. Pauline only showed up to die again, Lyle disappeared only to come back and get killed off. Hunter is yet another pointless character who just hangs around Joe and Norrie while adding nothing to the group. Sam killed Angie to get out only to willingly go back under the dome.

Quote:
The visions are far from pointless and have directed them throughout this season and actually pointed them in the directions they needed to.
Which was nowhere because this show has no real direction. It's just making bs up, that's not a direction. Nothing is actually progressing.

'Killing' Jim? Pointless.
The red door? It was just a plot device to bring them back and waste time in Zenith.
Pauline's visions? It lead them nowhere important and it got her killed off after faking her death for no reason at all.
Julia throwing the egg in the lake only for the dome kids to get it back up.

Nothing is actually progressing, characters change on a whim, all the writers did was dump more pointless characters spouting off contrived 'dome'/'egg' dialogue. That's not a direction and that is a complete waste of time.
Machuran is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2402 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
The vortex will be a waste of time, the writers will contrive ways to drag this show out and that's also by stopping them from leaving the dome permanently.

The red door was a pointless plot device so they could rip off Lost's 'we have to go back' plot twist which was an actual game changer for that show. Here, it's a complete waste of time.

Nothing is actually progressing, characters change on a whim, all the writers did was dump more pointless characters spouting off contrived 'dome'/'egg' dialogue. That's not a direction and that is a complete waste of time.
That's why I like to compare The Dome to Lost in Space... same premise- if the Robinsons ever got back to Earth (in the correct time period not the 1940's!), the series would be over.
At least LIS had the brilliant Irwin Allen behind the scenes, no such talent anywhere Under the Dumb!
Machuran likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
replayrob is offline  
post #2403 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
That's why I like to compare The Dome to Lost in Space... same premise- if the Robinsons ever got back to Earth (in the correct time period not the 1940's!), the series would be over.
At least LIS had the brilliant Irwin Allen behind the scenes, no such talent anywhere Under the Dumb!
Exactly, at least that show had likable characters. Under the Dome should've been a miniseries and stayed that way because of its' limited premise, otherwise you get stuck with this show making up bs.
Machuran is offline  
post #2404 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
JohnS-MI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
Exactly, at least that show had likable characters. Under the Dome should've been a miniseries and stayed that way because of its' limited premise, otherwise you get stuck with this show making up bs.
We could have had a lot more bs if the Dome hadn't committed bovicide.
Mark12547 and Machuran like this.
JohnS-MI is offline  
post #2405 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Is Monday the season finale?

Yes, and, sadly, it looks to me like we're being set up for a 3rd season ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #2406 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ewing Twp, NJ
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yes, and, sadly, it looks to me like we're being set up for a 3rd season ..
I think this may be the series finale for me.
mikeewing is offline  
post #2407 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mark12547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yes, and, sadly, it looks to me like we're being set up for a 3rd season ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
I think this may be the series finale for me.
Boy do I hope it's the series finale!
Machuran likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Mark12547 is offline  
post #2408 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 12:22 PM
R11
AVS Special Member
 
R11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 4,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
The vortex will be a waste of time, the writers will contrive ways to drag this show out and that's also by stopping them from leaving the dome permanently. Like Jim foolishly throwing the egg over.



The red door was a pointless plot device so they could rip off Lost's 'we have to go back' plot twist which was an actual game changer for that show. Here, it's a complete waste of time. This was a pointless escape attempt, there was no need for them to go to Zenith at all. Pauline only showed up to die again, Lyle disappeared only to come back and get killed off. Hunter is yet another pointless character who just hangs around Joe and Norrie while adding nothing to the group. Sam killed Angie to get out only to willingly go back under the dome.



Which was nowhere because this show has no real direction. It's just making bs up, that's not a direction. Nothing is actually progressing.

'Killing' Jim? Pointless.
The red door? It was just a plot device to bring them back and waste time in Zenith.
Pauline's visions? It lead them nowhere important and it got her killed off after faking her death for no reason at all.
Julia throwing the egg in the lake only for the dome kids to get it back up.

Nothing is actually progressing, characters change on a whim, all the writers did was dump more pointless characters spouting off contrived 'dome'/'egg' dialogue. That's not a direction and that is a complete waste of time.

And yet, you continue to watch religiously week after week.... It's always interesting to read some of the posts here. The loudest complainers never seem to miss episodes of shows they claim are complete wastes of time. I guess their time isn't really worth much...


ron
WilliamR likes this.
R11 is offline  
post #2409 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
+1 ^^^^^^^
thehun is offline  
post #2410 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post
And yet, you continue to watch religiously week after week.... It's always interesting to read some of the posts here. The loudest complainers never seem to miss episodes of shows they claim are complete wastes of time. I guess their time isn't really worth much...


ron
au contraire ..


gwsat likes this.

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #2411 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,469
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 715
I'm still hoping it gets renewed for a third season. Under the Dome has provided some good laughs between watching the show, talking to co-workers about it, reading about it on the forums, etc. I would prefer it to continue since it has brought a lot of unexpected enjoyment.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #2412 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Obviously, everyone here who watches the show gets something out of it. Hate watching always has a purpose. In this case, it's because the show has devolved so far, you have to wonder if it can continue to top (er, bottom) itself. There's a morbid curiosity involved. It's coupled with the shared experience of making fun of all the sheer folly contained within. It's the side-splitting laughter resulting from reading the TV.com reviews - you have to watch the show to fully appreciate the snark.

It's a bonding ritual, Ron. You wouldn't understand.
slowbiscuit likes this.
archiguy is offline  
post #2413 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Obviously, everyone here who watches the show gets something out of it. Hate watching always has a purpose. In this case, it's because the show has devolved so far, you have to wonder if it can continue to top (er, bottom) itself. There's a morbid curiosity involved. It's coupled with the shared experience of making fun of all the sheer folly contained within. It's a bonding ritual, Ron. You wouldn't understand.
Arch, in my case, it's more "better half watches it, so in order to not be rude and retire to my Home Theater" I stick with it .. since we left the book completely behind some time back (other than there is, still, in fact, a Dome) .. I don't have to worry about being "Book Spoiled" ..


That, and the flat spot on my forehead that has developed nicely from the forehead slapping moments ..


My only question is, are there any clichés left that the writers can use .. ??
Machuran likes this.

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #2414 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mark12547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
My only question is, are there any clichés left that the writers can use .. ??
At the conclusion of last week's episode the hole reminded me of "down the rabbit hole" in Alice in Wonderland. And, at least in the Disney classic, it was but a dream.

Can the writers work in "The butler did it!"?

One common theme I see in Syfy's poor-excuse-of-a-movie-for-the-week is the military (or government) being **** sure but wrong and a discredited scientist having the solution and is willing to risk his or her life to defy the military to save the world.

I wonder if this might be like the 1960s The Outer Limits, "Feasibility Study" where a piece of the planet (in Outer Limits: a small city) is beamed to another planet to study the feasibility of humans to survive on the new planet and be the workers (i.e., slaves) for the beings who are no longer able to do manual labor. (Will the dome reveal a different sun, moons, and stars at the end of next Monday's episode?)

In one season of Red Dwarf, the characters find out that what they had been living had been a script for a TV show.

Under the dome of Big Jim's head a blood vessel had broken so the dome and the egg are both symbols of Big Jim's head and everything happening is a stroke-induced hallucination. In this case:
The dome is to protect us:Skull protects Jim's brain
We must protect the egg:Jim's brain must be protected
and those phrases continue as nonsense throughout the two seasons (the few weeks in story chronology) because Jim's subconscious is picking up phrases spoken in his hospital room and twisted to become part of his hallucination/dream.
Machuran likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Mark12547 is offline  
post #2415 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Member
 
garyalex67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York City
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Arch, in my case, it's more "better half watches it, so in order to not be rude and retire to my Home Theater" I stick with it .. since we left the book completely behind some time back (other than there is, still, in fact, a Dome) .. I don't have to worry about being "Book Spoiled" ..


That, and the flat spot on my forehead that has developed nicely from the forehead slapping moments ..


My only question is, are there any clichés left that the writers can use .. ??
Each week I watch this thing in stunned amazement, thinking that perhaps the writers have finally hit bottom, only to realize with the next episode that there are new depths to plumb, that we're still in the shallow end of the pool.

Like some others I think, I keep watching because it's like watching a train wreck. I don't want to see it but I watch anyway, just to see what happens and how it ends. I'm hoping CBS will opt for a mercy killing but if not, I'll be one of those wondering, for example, how it can be that a guy who committed an ax murder not long ago is still apparently held in such high esteem by the citizens of Chester's Mill. But I know that you can't apply those standards under the dome. If you think that way you miss the point of the dome. Whatever that is. Assuming there is one.
slowbiscuit and Machuran like this.
garyalex67 is offline  
post #2416 of 2423 Old 09-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post
And yet, you continue to watch religiously week after week.... It's always interesting to read some of the posts here. The loudest complainers never seem to miss episodes of shows they claim are complete wastes of time. I guess their time isn't really worth much...

ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
+1 ^^^^^^^
Obviously you've never heard of hate watching before. Besides, if you wanted to avoid any criticism of the show, you're more than welcome to find a fan site so you won't have to be bothered by us haters. .
Machuran is offline  
post #2417 of 2423 Old 09-20-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyalex67 View Post
I'm hoping CBS will opt for a mercy killing but if not, I'll be one of those wondering, for example, how it can be that a guy who committed an ax murder not long ago is still apparently held in such high esteem by the citizens of Chester's Mill.
Not to mention Big Jim, who shot Dodee in cold blood and yet was forgiven and pardoned by the person he was about to wrongfully hang (Barbie).

This show is fun to watch for the same reason MST3K was an underground hit - you've got to watch to make fun of it, and read all the hilarious reviews afterward. Calling this show a train wreck insults the intelligence of engineers everywhere.
Machuran likes this.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #2418 of 2423 Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This show is fun to watch for the same reason MST3K was an underground hit - you've got to watch to make fun of it, and read all the hilarious reviews afterward. Calling this show a train wreck insults the intelligence of engineers everywhere.
Agreed, it's kind of like watching the latest Asylum movie (Sharknado, Mega Piranha , etc...) on SyFy. It's so bad there's nothing left to do but bust on afterwords. It's not like there's anyone here taking it seriously at this point anyway.... right?

If we only commented on how smart the characters were or about the good decisions they made or on how the writers did such an awesome job this week- this thread would have died off after the pilot episode...

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
replayrob is offline  
post #2419 of 2423 Old 09-20-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Agreed, it's kind of like watching the latest Asylum movie (Sharknado, Mega Piranha , etc...) on SyFy. It's so bad there's nothing left to do but bust on afterwords. It's not like there's anyone here taking it seriously at this point anyway.... right?
Well, there's still one guy. Out of respect, I'll refrain from mentioning his name.
archiguy is offline  
post #2420 of 2423 Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Not to mention Big Jim, who shot Dodee in cold blood and yet was forgiven and pardoned by the person he was about to wrongfully hang (Barbie).

This show is fun to watch for the same reason MST3K was an underground hit - you've got to watch to make fun of it, and read all the hilarious reviews afterward. Calling this show a train wreck insults the intelligence of engineers everywhere.
Not to mention almost killing off the townspeople with Rebecca, yet they're both walking around free and Jim has supporters blindly following his every word, right down to staying under the dome until Jim approves it. .
Machuran is offline  
post #2421 of 2423 Old 09-20-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 4,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
Not to mention almost killing off the townspeople with Rebecca, yet they're both walking around free and Jim has supporters blindly following his every word, right down to staying under the dome until Jim approves it. .
Well, you know what they say... The Stupid Will Be Punished!
Actually, maybe that's why the dome decided to drop down on Chesters Mill in the first place?
Machuran likes this.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
replayrob is offline  
post #2422 of 2423 Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I still say Chester's Mills needs a Cheetohs sponsorship...

"It isn't easy... being cheesy!"

It just makes too much sense... science supports this sponsorship!

I think the final episode of the Dome will eventually conclude the series with the revelation that the Dome is actually a snowglobe on Joe's desk in his room... and he has been playing and doing voices the whole time. That would explain everything.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
HDMe2 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off