'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1045Likes

Old 08-07-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 802
CBS’s “Under the Dome” posted a 0.8 in adults 18-49, according to Nielsen overnights, off 20 percent from last week and a new series low.

All shows were down as Fox News posted the biggest ratings for a cable news show ever with the Republican debate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Hey! Where is everyone?

AFAIC, it's gotten to the point that even expending the effort to post has become a chore ..
Garrett Adams and Machuran like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
AFAIC, it's gotten to the point that even expending the effort to post has become a chore ..
Not much to say, it really does feel like many people just stopped caring and the show isn't an interesting (to snark) trainwreck anymore, it's just plain dull for the most part.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I'm 3 episodes behind now, counting last night... I think the problem with the show is... it has been bad since the beginning... but at least then it was silly, absurdly bad... now it's just sadly bad... and it's no fun to talk about that.
replayrob and Machuran like this.

The Doctor... the Original, you might say!
Where I am when I'm not here!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
With Christine coming out of her cocoon I was hoping her lips would be fixed, but the previews of next week's episode show it's not to be.
There wasn't enough power left in the amethysts to do that.

Had hopes for this show in the beginning but it is a total laugh and snooze fest now.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
Not much to say, it really does feel like many people just stopped caring and the show isn't an interesting (to snark) trainwreck anymore, it's just plain dull for the most part.
In a nutshell .. or a "Dome Shell" ..

I've come this far, so, being the masochist I must be, I'll finish out the Season .. and that's the end of it ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 402
And sometimes following the logic of the show is a chore. For example, some things that happened while people were in the cocoons over the past two seasons are taken to be true in the current season, even though we know much of it wasn't. Examples: entrances and exits from The Dome, contact with certain parties outside The Dome, who is "doing" whom.

Also, if the first two seasons were just a "dream" (a cocoon-induced mental simulation ... remember the early speculation in this thread when there was a fade between the back of Big Jim's head and The Dome that all this might be a dream of Big Jim?), what is to say that we aren't just watching more externally-induced lucid dreaming?

Maybe at the end of the season the mystery will be solved by Dr. Robert Hartley (Bob Newhart) waking up by Big Jim waking up at a Sleep Lab that is looking into his sleep apnea.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Cool - AFAIC is the first new acronym I've learned this year - had to look it up! Now FWIW and IIRC according to my "language arts" teacher all I have to do is use it 3 times to make it mine! And people say watching UTD is a waste of time!

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Old 08-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I'm 3 episodes behind now, counting last night... I think the problem with the show is... it has been bad since the beginning... but at least then it was silly, absurdly bad... now it's just sadly bad... and it's no fun to talk about that.
Exactly, there's nothing fun to talk about anymore when compared to the previous trainwreck seasons.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I got behind when we were on vacation and DVR missed an episode and there were enuf other shows that were way better, am dumping and bailing.

Hopefully the thread can survive w/o the starter. What was I thinking?
phildaant likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I have started threads on shows I thought had promise and later decided those shows weren't for me, and one of those threads is still going strong. Or at least I see it still gets activity; I had long since unsubscribed to that thread.
phildaant and 73shark like this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I got behind when we were on vacation and DVR missed an episode and there were enuf other shows that were way better, am dumping and bailing.

That happened to me last season. I said frak it. It was a wise decision.
73shark and Machuran like this.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That happened to me last season. I said frak it. It was a wise decision.
Very, and I know plenty of people around who've done the same.
phildaant likes this.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
Very, and I know plenty of people around who've done the same.
CBS, it is time to make a proper series finale!
joblo, TeeJay1952 and Machuran like this.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
For example, some things that happened while people were in the cocoons over the past two seasons are taken to be true in the current season, even though we know much of it wasn't. Examples: entrances and exits from The Dome, contact with certain parties outside The Dome, who is "doing" whom.
They weren't in the cocoons for the last two seasons. Only the events of the first episode in season 3 took place in the Matrix. Everything in seasons 1 and 2 really happened.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
And sometimes following the logic of the show is a chore. For example, some things that happened while people were in the cocoons over the past two seasons are taken to be true in the current season, even though we know much of it wasn't. Examples: entrances and exits from The Dome, contact with certain parties outside The Dome, who is "doing" whom.

Also, if the first two seasons were just a "dream" (a cocoon-induced mental simulation ... remember the early speculation in this thread when there was a fade between the back of Big Jim's head and The Dome that all this might be a dream of Big Jim?), what is to say that we aren't just watching more externally-induced lucid dreaming?
I can't believe I'm actually going to defend the writing of this stupid show, but you've misunderstood what happened. The characters entered the cocoons after the Season 2 finale. The only things that happened during their "dream time" was the year they thought they spent outside the dome. All that was fake. Everything before they entered the cocoons was real. Everything after they got out of the cocoons is real.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
They weren't in the cocoons for the last two seasons. Only the events of the first episode in season 3 took place in the Matrix. Everything in seasons 1 and 2 really happened.
Agreed. This seemed pretty obvious to me from the hyper saturated colors they used for footage in the first episode for their activities when they were in the cocoons.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2887 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
You can't stop the Dome, you can only hope to contain it.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, talk about a spoiler in that article. Guess we know what happens now.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow and they might get rid of the already flimsy premise of the show as well to drag this series out even further.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Sounds like you've been under a dome. I won't correct you, as others have already done that. But it's interesting that someone can watch a show and get a completely different understanding from it. I wonder how many others saw it differently. Did you watch EVERY episode this season, or did you skim them?

Anyway, as to the loss of interest, I'll use my mother as an example. She's elderly, and she hates science fiction. Seasons one and two were not really science fiction, IMO. One could make an argument that they were, but one could just as easily make the reverse argument.

In season three however, there's no question. As a result, my mother has no more interest in the show. As for me, ilk keep watching, but without the unintended comedy, it's becoming a lower priority to watch. Even Tim seems to have baled.

Sounds like next season might have to be called, "Under the moon". Maybe they'll makes it a romantic comedy.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Yeah but in the last frame they will pull out the camera and show the entire universe is contained within a glass dome ... and some aliens are using it to play marbles with.

Domes all the way down!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI. TV.com's Tim is on vacation according to this Mr. Robot (way better than UTD!) review: http://www.tv.com/shows/mr-robot/com...-143941916254/
Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

How does someone find the resonating frequency of The Dome? And can one resonate The Dome with enough amplitude to destroy it without destroying the ear drums of the peasants under glass? I don't think wetting a finger and rubbing it on the surface of The Dome would do the trick, though in past seasons we had seen improbable "science" in action.

And didn't the MythBusters get a rock singer to sing a pitch that, on one of the takes, caused a wine glass to shatter ... on the 20th take?
Spoiler!

Maybe Joe is on to something after all.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked: 2281
Quote:

Maybe at the end of the season the mystery will be solved by Dr. Robert Hartley (Bob Newhart) waking up by Big Jim waking up at a Sleep Lab that is looking into his sleep apnea.
When was it ever mentioned that the first two seasons were a dream? They weren't.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When was it ever mentioned that the first two seasons were a dream? They weren't.
It was speculated in this thread a long time ago that the whole under the dome experience may have been a dream or hallucination. Some of the improbable solutions to disasters (e.g., a relative small electromagnetic field overcoming the dome's huge magnetic field that was pulling nails out of houses, a small amount of a base to a lake undoing the acidic rains) point to either very sloppy writing or some form of lucid dreaming. Even the precognitive paintings could have planted ideas that got woven into someone's lucid dreams ... or could have been misplaced documents that were part of what the dream makers had planned.

At this point in the show I am not convinced that we are dealing in "reality", that it is possible that the whole show is a dream and near the beginning of the current season the townspeople dreamed that they woke up, but instead are still dreaming.

Or it could be that we are dealing with an alien artifact that caused someone to jump forward a bunch of years, caused a semipermeable dome to appear, and have Matrix-like-lucid-dream-inducing cocoons that, for some unspecified reason (or I blinked at the wrong moment), had people who were going through caves suddenly wind up in them. The opening narration suggests that (except for the dream episodes at the beginning of this season) we are treating this as real instead of three seasons of directed hallucinations.

Whether "dream" or "real", Joe seems to have an idea of using the resonating frequency of the Dome to possibly cause the Dome to come down. That sounds like a great idea ... if the standing waves don't have to get so strong as to injure the peasants under glass, and if the dome and its contents are on the earth as we know it. (The whole subplot about fostering cooperation may be a prelude to colonizing a planet or repopulating the earth after a world-wide mass extinction event. Or it could just be fostering a hive mentality for an extraterrestrial conqueror to step in and control.)

We will just have to wait and see.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Truer words have never been spoken. At least Julia understands our situation. "Every time I think this can't get any worse, it does." If there is one sentence that can sum up three seasons of Under the Dome, I think we've found it. Well said, Julia. Well said.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Four weeks ago?

Tonight when I listened to Big Jim's opening voice-over I heard "Four weeks ago ..." I replayed it several times and I keep on hearing "Four". I turned on closed caption and it reads "Three". A little googling turned up several other sites that are likewise reporting "Four weeks ago ...".

I'm a bit surprised by Joe's oscillator that drove his captor out but Joe didn't seem to be bothered at all by it. Generally, unless they have already damaged their ears with loud noises, young people are more sensitive to sound than older people, and younger people can hear higher highs than older people. But this is under the Dome where science has gone weird.

Also, why is Joe trying to find the resonate frequency of a glass casserole dish to see if he can break it sonically when what he really needs is a resonate frequency of the Dome? He should have loud speakers near the Dome surface and a audio meter to measure the loudness of the sound bouncing back from the Dome, and do a slow frequency sweep of the oscillator to find the peaks, which would be good candidates for the frequency to use to attempt to get the Dome to resonate at a shattering amplitude. Note: something as big as the Dome may have such a low resonating frequency that a vibrator or a turntable with an off-center weight might hit the resonating frequency.

But then the Dome might not behave like normal structures ... after all, we need to do Dome Science, not regular Physics.

For those who are hoping that the season will soon be over ... I clearly heard that there are three episodes left.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tonight when I listened to Big Jim's opening voice-over I heard "Four weeks ago ..." I replayed it several times and I keep on hearing "Four". I turned on closed caption and it reads "Three". A little googling turned up several other sites that are likewise reporting "Four weeks ago ...".

I'm a bit surprised by Joe's oscillator that drove his captor out but Joe didn't seem to be bothered at all by it. Generally, unless they have already damaged their ears with loud noises, young people are more sensitive to sound than older people, and younger people can hear higher highs than older people. But this is under the Dome where science has gone weird.

Also, why is Joe trying to find the resonate frequency of a glass casserole dish to see if he can break it sonically when what he really needs is a resonate frequency of the Dome? He should have loud speakers near the Dome surface and a audio meter to measure the loudness of the sound bouncing back from the Dome, and do a slow frequency sweep of the oscillator to find the peaks, which would be good candidates for the frequency to use to attempt to get the Dome to resonate at a shattering amplitude. Note: something as big as the Dome may have such a low resonating frequency that a vibrator or a turntable with an off-center weight might hit the resonating frequency.

But then the Dome might not behave like normal structures ... after all, we need to do Dome Science, not regular Physics.

For those who are hoping that the season will soon be over ... I clearly heard that there are three episodes left.
Wasn't he trying to find that frequency simply to see if it would work on something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement