'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 874Likes

post #2821 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Tonight when I listened to Big Jim's opening voice-over I heard "Four weeks ago ..." I replayed it several times and I keep on hearing "Four". I turned on closed caption and it reads "Three". A little googling turned up several other sites that are likewise reporting "Four weeks ago ...".

I'm a bit surprised by Joe's oscillator that drove his captor out but Joe didn't seem to be bothered at all by it. Generally, unless they have already damaged their ears with loud noises, young people are more sensitive to sound than older people, and younger people can hear higher highs than older people. But this is under the Dome where science has gone weird.

Also, why is Joe trying to find the resonate frequency of a glass casserole dish to see if he can break it sonically when what he really needs is a resonate frequency of the Dome? He should have loud speakers near the Dome surface and a audio meter to measure the loudness of the sound bouncing back from the Dome, and do a slow frequency sweep of the oscillator to find the peaks, which would be good candidates for the frequency to use to attempt to get the Dome to resonate at a shattering amplitude. Note: something as big as the Dome may have such a low resonating frequency that a vibrator or a turntable with an off-center weight might hit the resonating frequency.

But then the Dome might not behave like normal structures ... after all, we need to do Dome Science, not regular Physics.

For those who are hoping that the season will soon be over ... I clearly heard that there are three episodes left.
Wasn't he trying to find that frequency simply to see if it would work on something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Tonight when I listened to Big Jim's opening voice-over I heard "Four weeks ago ..." I replayed it several times and I keep on hearing "Four". I turned on closed caption and it reads "Three". A little googling turned up several other sites that are likewise reporting "Four weeks ago ...".

I'm a bit surprised by Joe's oscillator that drove his captor out but Joe didn't seem to be bothered at all by it. Generally, unless they have already damaged their ears with loud noises, young people are more sensitive to sound than older people, and younger people can hear higher highs than older people. But this is under the Dome where science has gone weird.

Also, why is Joe trying to find the resonate frequency of a glass casserole dish to see if he can break it sonically when what he really needs is a resonate frequency of the Dome? He should have loud speakers near the Dome surface and a audio meter to measure the loudness of the sound bouncing back from the Dome, and do a slow frequency sweep of the oscillator to find the peaks, which would be good candidates for the frequency to use to attempt to get the Dome to resonate at a shattering amplitude. Note: something as big as the Dome may have such a low resonating frequency that a vibrator or a turntable with an off-center weight might hit the resonating frequency.

But then the Dome might not behave like normal structures ... after all, we need to do Dome Science, not regular Physics.

For those who are hoping that the season will soon be over ... I clearly heard that there are three episodes left.
I'm pretty sure Jim's intro has been 4 weeks for some time now .. as to your other questions, the real question is "Why even bother asking .. ??" .. this is not intended to snark ..

It just seems pointless at this point to discuss anything that might even resemble rationality ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2823 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am pretty sure Uverse did not air UTD last week, 8/13, so when I started watching it this week, 8/20 I was saying what the hell? Did I miss something? I jump on IMDB and darn it, I did miss an episode. Since I had it recording I jumped on Amazon prime instant video to watch my lost episode first. Did it really air last week or did it not? I swear it was not listed in the channel guide and my DVR never recorded it.
post #2824 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
Did it really air last week or did it not? I swear it was not listed in the channel guide and my DVR never recorded it.
Yes, S3E9 "Plan B" aired last week on my local CBS affiliate in its usual time slot and it was listed in the program guide in the HD DVR I am renting from Comcast.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #2825 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I know it's faint praise but I thought last night's episode was a notch better than the last few preceding it.
post #2826 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I know it's faint praise but I thought last night's episode was a notch better than the last few preceding it.
I would use the term "slightly less bad" myself. The best part for me was when Norie couldn't get her fivehead through the bars on the window to kiss Joe.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
post #2827 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
I am pretty sure Uverse did not air UTD last week, 8/13, so when I started watching it this week, 8/20 I was saying what the hell? Did I miss something? I jump on IMDB and darn it, I did miss an episode. Since I had it recording I jumped on Amazon prime instant video to watch my lost episode first. Did it really air last week or did it not? I swear it was not listed in the channel guide and my DVR never recorded it.
Last week Under the Dome was pre-empted on Thursday night in some areas due to live football. In my area they played it a couple days later, Sat at 3AM, but I saw it appeared before that on the cable system's free on demand so I watched it there last week instead.
post #2828 of 2843 Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 173
All is right with the world now that Barbie and Julia are back together. It was funny when Big Jim called Julia "Raggedy Ann" to those soldiers.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (updated through May 25th, 2015)
post #2829 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I know it is pointless to try arguing under the dome...
But in regards to the universe they created, they completely abandoned the story ark about the four hands. Wonder if this will somehow return in the end. But probably not because the killed Angie.
Machuran likes this.
post #2830 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Tonight when I listened to Big Jim's opening voice-over I heard "Four weeks ago ..." I replayed it several times and I keep on hearing "Four". I turned on closed caption and it reads "Three". A little googling turned up several other sites that are likewise reporting "Four weeks ago ...". weird.

Also, why is Joe trying to find the resonate frequency of a glass casserole dish to see if he can break it sonically when what he really needs is a resonate frequency of the Dome?

And I'm certain he said three weeks, until this latest episode.

Re the scene where Joe is trying to break the bowl, I couldn't help wondering which breaks easiest: the bowl or the window Norrie has her head next to?

I actually found this week's episode boring. In fact, the whole aliens direction has ruined the comedy factor for me. Now it just a cheesy TV aliens trying to take over crap show. Doubt I'll be back next season.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
Machuran likes this.

Last edited by leebo; 08-22-2015 at 10:25 AM.
post #2831 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 157
This season is supposed to be the 4th week so I guess it's closer to 4 than 3 now.

Hard to believe Julia's husband has been dead almost an entire month - seems like only yesterday...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #2832 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
But in regards to the universe they created, they completely abandoned the story ark about the four hands. Wonder if this will somehow return in the end. But probably not because the killed Angie.
They've dropped those plot points. They replaced Angie with Melanie and the Original 4 hands and then dropped that too as well.

Quote:
I actually found this week's episode boring. In fact, the whole aliens direction
has ruined the comedy factor for me. Now it just a cheesy TV aliens trying to
take over crap show. Doubt I'll be back next season.
Same here, it's just bad in a boring way, it's like they took the cliched alien route and it's no long a fun trainwreck, it's just a dull, boring show.
post #2833 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought the episode was boring. The storyline is laughable and not in a good way, although I did find Big Jim referring to Julia as Raggedy Ann humorous. Will he be calling Dale Raggedy Andy next? It's seems as if they are combining every sci-fi movie/TV show/book that they can and not doing a good job of it. "Under the Dome" = "Under the Dumb".
Machuran likes this.
post #2834 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avianb View Post
I thought the episode was boring. The storyline is laughable and not in a good way, although I did find Big Jim referring to Julia as Raggedy Ann humorous. Will he be calling Dale Raggedy Andy next? It's seems as if they are combining every sci-fi movie/TV show/book that they can and not doing a good job of it. "Under the Dome" = "Under the Dumb".
Yup, scraping the bottom of the barrel for just about ever sci-fi/alien cliche.
Mark12547 likes this.
post #2835 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
But in regards to the universe they created, they completely abandoned the story ark about the four hands.
They also retconned season 1 this week.

Pink stars are falling in lines!
God save the queen!

I'm pretty sure one of those wasn't actually in season 1...
Machuran likes this.
post #2836 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure one of those wasn't actually in season 1...
I think they've even changed the meaning of those lines seeing as how they've dropped those plot points.
post #2837 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Doubt I'll be back next season.
C'mon, we all say that at the end of each season. And then the following Summer it drags us back in.
post #2838 of 2843 Old 08-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
C'mon, we all say that at the end of each season. And then the following Summer it drags us back in.
I would've agreed a season or 2 ago, imo, the novelty has worn off and this season hasn't been very interesting with a cliched alien story/wth is with Aktion nonsense.
post #2839 of 2843 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Big Jim continues to make funny cracks about Julia and the town. I think in one episode he called it Whoville.
post #2840 of 2843 Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Not all of us. I managed to escape the Dome this summer.

I enjoy coming here and reading the comments though. Is Tim still doing those hi-larious re-caps? Nobody's posted a link in awhile.

But I'm still determined to finish 'The Following'; go figure. Don't judge me!
post #2841 of 2843 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Big Jim continues to make funny cracks about Julia and the town. I think in one episode he called it Whoville.
An episode or two ago when Julia gave Barbie the shot in the neck Big Jim said "Nice work Dexter."
post #2842 of 2843 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
Liked: 3861
Quote:

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #2843 of 2843 Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Tonight was a night of quite a revelation.

Assuming Joe was being told the truth, "we" (alien(s)/kinship) had traveled hundreds of thousands of lightyears to earth because "they" (the pursuers, not identified beyond "Right now, somewhere, up in the sky, they're coming") destroyed "our" world, and they will destroy "your" (Joe's) world (earth).

"This isn't just survival of the kinship; it's humanity's survival, too."

There are two more episodes.

Why do I get the uneasy feeling that both Under the Dome and Whispers will end with a multitude of unfriendly aliens (more kinship, more Drills, correspondingly) approaching earth? Does that mean I must resign myself to watching the next season of both shows?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page