'Under the Dome' on CBS HD - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Programming > 'Under the Dome' on CBS HD

HDTV Programming

73shark's Avatar 73shark
10:06 PM Liked: 48
post #1 of 2378
05-08-2013 | Posts: 2,232
Joined: Jan 2007
Searched the forum for a thread on this and found none. If there is one then the mods can delete this one.

The initial trailers look interesting but don't they always? At least it's another foray into the SF arena. Haven't read the book either. 1st epi on June 24. Might be something to fill the summer TV wasteland.
BriscoCountyJr's Avatar BriscoCountyJr
11:00 PM Liked: 31
post #2 of 2378
05-08-2013 | Posts: 457
Joined: Jul 2012
I spotted somebody in the trailer that looked like Lincoln Lee from Fringe.
archiguy's Avatar archiguy
05:12 AM Liked: 632
post #3 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 18,182
Joined: Mar 2001
First book I ever read on the iPad! All the way through I was thinking: This could make a good movie if they do it right. Doing it right, however, meant more than a typical 120 minute film could cram in. So I'm glad CBS is finally taking a Big Swing for the fences - first one for them since 'Jericho'.

BTW shark, I thought there was already a thread for this as well but I couldn't find it either. I was going to start one a few months ago when I saw the first promo shot from CBS but somebody had already beat me to it. Sometimes the AVS search function can be a tad temperamental. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this!
DrLar's Avatar DrLar
07:38 AM Liked: 96
post #4 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,019
Joined: Nov 2006
Since it's based on a book it would be a good mini-series, I don't think they'll have material for more than 8 episodes..

I'm looking forward to this..
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928
08:23 AM Liked: 119
post #5 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,494
Joined: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Since it's based on a book it would be a good mini-series, I don't think they'll have material for more than 8 episodes..

I'm looking forward to this..

It's gonna be 13 episodes.... We can get great character development.
Argee's Avatar Argee
08:26 AM Liked: 26
post #6 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 1,605
Joined: Jun 2001
IMO the book suffered from S. King bloat. I thought it could have been a few hundred pages shorter but at heart it has a compelling mystery.
DrLar's Avatar DrLar
08:37 AM Liked: 96
post #7 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,019
Joined: Nov 2006
I gather The Simpsons Movie was based on this right?
skyehill's Avatar skyehill
08:48 AM Liked: 48
post #8 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,989
Joined: Oct 2003
As a long time King fan, this was one of his weakest efforts. And as stated above, it was far too long. It's also not going to be well-received by Republicans. The entire story is essentially about how in a crisis, or perceived crisis, conservatives act like Machiavellian idiots. My biggest problem with the book was the ending. Yuck. With all that said, I'm going to watch. Bad King adaptations are still highly watchable.
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
08:50 AM Liked: 73
post #9 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

As a long time King fan, this was one of his weakest efforts. And as stated above, it was far too long. It's also not going to be well-received by Republicans. The entire story is essentially about how in a crisis, or perceived crisis, conservatives act like Machiavellian idiots. My biggest problem with the book was the ending. Yuck. With all that said, I'm going to watch. Bad King adaptations are still highly watchable.

Agree with this. If they hold true to the book, it should be 12 fantastic episodes of TV.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928
10:05 AM Liked: 119
post #10 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,494
Joined: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Agree with this. If they hold true to the book, it should be 12 fantastic episodes of TV.

Does that mean that the 13th episode will be less than fantastic? smile.gif
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
10:26 AM Liked: 73
post #11 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Does that mean that the 13th episode will be less than fantastic? smile.gif

If they hold to the book - yes.
skyehill's Avatar skyehill
11:20 AM Liked: 48
post #12 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,989
Joined: Oct 2003
When I got to the end in the book I wanted to throw the thing on the ground and walk away. Unfortunately I read it on my iPad. So I merely deleted it.
DrLar's Avatar DrLar
01:12 PM Liked: 96
post #13 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,019
Joined: Nov 2006
I never read that book so I'm going clean, well except for The Simpsons part
archiguy's Avatar archiguy
01:37 PM Liked: 632
post #14 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 18,182
Joined: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Agree with this. If they hold true to the book, it should be 12 fantastic episodes of TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Does that mean that the 13th episode will be less than fantastic? smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 
If they hold to the book - yes.

Sounds a lot like LOST. Great, right up 'till the end. tongue.gif
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer
01:59 PM Liked: 84
post #15 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 1,933
Joined: Mar 2002
I read the first script. It was a snoozer. A couple of interesting visuals when people first discover the dome has appeared which I expect to look mediocre based on the people involved. The characters were kind of cardboard stereotypes. Based on the script, I would not bother tuning in to episode 2. Maybe the actors will make it more interesting.
skyehill's Avatar skyehill
02:17 PM Liked: 48
post #16 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,989
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I read the first script. It was a snoozer. A couple of interesting visuals when people first discover the dome has appeared which I expect to look mediocre based on the people involved. The characters were kind of cardboard stereotypes. Based on the script, I would not bother tuning in to episode 2. Maybe the actors will make it more interesting.

That's kinda Stephen King's thing. His characters are mostly stereotypes. In this one it's mainly evil Republicans and heroic liberals. There's no middle ground. If it follows the book, the first episode will have a lot of action, and then there will be 10-11 episodes of dramatic talking. Then an episode with action. And finally an episode with an ending that makes you want to punch someone really hard in the nuts.
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
02:18 PM Liked: 73
post #17 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

When I got to the end in the book I wanted to throw the thing on the ground and walk away. Unfortunately I read it on my iPad. So I merely deleted it.

I borrowed my wife's Kindle for that book (I don't read a whole lot), so I didn't have the option either.

I've since read "11/22/63" from King, and that was great from cover to cover. Almost made me want to buy my own Kindle.
skyehill's Avatar skyehill
02:34 PM Liked: 48
post #18 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,989
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I borrowed my wife's Kindle for that book (I don't read a whole lot), so I didn't have the option either.

I've since read "11/22/63" from King, and that was great from cover to cover. Almost made me want to buy my own Kindle.

That is indeed a wonderful book. It's why I stick with King. He has a bunch of clunkers, but he also has a bunch of gems.
vfxproducer's Avatar vfxproducer
03:06 PM Liked: 84
post #19 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 1,933
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

And finally an episode with an ending that makes you want to punch someone really hard in the nuts.

Well, my guess is the ending will change, because I know the producers are hoping for a season 2.
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi
03:12 PM Liked: 26
post #20 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 17,175
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I gather The Simpsons Movie was based on this right?

Yes, CBS' Under The Dome is aware they did that in The Simpsons Movie
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
03:38 PM Liked: 73
post #21 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Well, my guess is the ending will change, because I know the producers are hoping for a season 2.

That would be a shame.

I love when books get 6 to 10 hours to tell the story in a mini-series vs the 2 hours you get from a Hollywood release. But worse than either is when you have a story that can be told in 8 hours stretched into a 7 year television series.

I'd rather see it revived each year as a different dome. UTD: Vegas, UTD: The Oktoberfest, UTD: The Vatican, etc...
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928
03:53 PM Liked: 119
post #22 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,494
Joined: Jan 2003
I wanna be stuck UTD at Oktoberfest!!! biggrin.gif
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95
04:27 PM Liked: 73
post #23 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 23,797
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I wanna be stuck UTD at Oktoberfest!!! biggrin.gif

I'm guessing you've never had to use the bathroom at the Oktoberfest. It's very similar to the steckerlfisch trench, without the hot coals. eek.gif
skyehill's Avatar skyehill
04:46 PM Liked: 48
post #24 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,989
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Well, my guess is the ending will change, because I know the producers are hoping for a season 2.

But the whole concept of the movie is built around that end. Lame or not. Stuff like this makes me hate the TV business. Sometimes stories end. Let them end.
bobby94928's Avatar bobby94928
07:34 PM Liked: 119
post #25 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,494
Joined: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I'm guessing you've never had to use the bathroom at the Oktoberfest. It's very similar to the steckerlfisch trench, without the hot coals. eek.gif

Actually no, but I have been to the bathroom at the Hofbrau Haus many times. Both the old one with the vomitoriums just to the right as you enter and the new one...... smile.gif
NetworkTV's Avatar NetworkTV
07:45 PM Liked: 418
post #26 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 15,560
Joined: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

When I got to the end in the book I wanted to throw the thing on the ground and walk away. Unfortunately I read it on my iPad. So I merely deleted it.
The sad part is, it's not really gone. It's laying in wait...in case you lose your senses and download it back to your device. If no one closes your account when you die, it will be sitting there on the cloud...waiting....and waiting....

I actually hear the above is the plot of King's next book. He's calling it "The Demon Book". It's about an evil digital book that kills all who read it... wink.gif
skyehill's Avatar skyehill
09:16 PM Liked: 48
post #27 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 4,989
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The sad part is, it's not really gone. It's laying in wait...in case you lose your senses and download it back to your device. If no one closes your account when you die, it will be sitting there on the cloud...waiting....and waiting....

I actually hear the above is the plot of King's next book. He's calling it "The Demon Book". It's about an evil digital book that kills all who read it... wink.gif

Fortunately Cell and Dreamcatcher aren't waiting for me as well. Damn you, Demon Book! Fortunately I have Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons on there. Great little literary nuggets when I get bored.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
10:15 PM Liked: 331
post #28 of 2378
05-09-2013 | Posts: 2,704
Joined: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I actually hear the above is the plot of King's next book. He's calling it "The Demon Book". It's about an evil digital book that kills all who read it... wink.gif

Strike the "digital" part, and he could pass it off as a prequel to 'Ring' from before the invention of VHS. wink.gif
Garrett Adams's Avatar Garrett Adams
04:13 PM Liked: 96
post #29 of 2378
05-10-2013 | Posts: 1,642
Joined: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I wanna be stuck UTD at Oktoberfest!!! biggrin.gif

I'm guessing you've never had to use the bathroom at the Oktoberfest. It's very similar to the steckerlfisch trench, without the hot coals. eek.gif

 

That reminds me of an Oktoberfest in Hanau. After exiting one the tent exits and thought I was clear of the crowd. However when finished with my business I noticed a woman was peeing on my shoe.


Young C's Avatar Young C
04:29 PM Liked: 73
post #30 of 2378
05-10-2013 | Posts: 3,929
Joined: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

That reminds me of an Oktoberfest in Hanau. After exiting one the tent exits and thought I was clear of the crowd. However when finished with my business I noticed a woman was peeing on my shoe.

LOL.

You guys are lucky to experience Oktoberfest.

Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3