Forum Jump: 
 195Likes

post #601 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 107
For the next day: Kate, Bilichick (sp?), and Chloe rescue Jack from the Gulag in the first couple of hours, minutes before his execution and the rest of the day is spent foiling an attempt by a separatist group from nuking the Kremlin. As a result, the Russians pardon Jack...And then he can go home finally!
Mike4HDTV and VisionOn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

Had a quick question on the Audio stream, for Season 9....I am a Comcast Subscriber in Seattle and have a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver and it seemed like the center channel dialogue was not as strong as when I play say a Blu-Ray Movie running thru the same setup....It looks like the source signal was Dolby Digital and I was running the Audio using the "Direct" setting which should not manipulate the audio in any form or fashion...Could this simply be a Comcast issue with how they process, and or send their audio signal with the broadcast stream? I even did a little comparison test with a friend of mine who is a Direct TV Subscriber running his sound thru a Yamaha Receiver and the dialogue was way more prominent thru his center channel than mine....With my setup you could hardly hear anything coming from my center channel, even after I manually went into the receiver settings and upped the volume....Any Suggestions or thoughts? Did anyone else experience this with their Sat/cable provider?
post #603 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
Nope. If I stop liking a show, I stop watching. I have far too many unwatched things on my shelves (as well as too many unread books) to spend my time on something I don't like (unless it is a work obligation--I do have to read some books or watch some films [mostly documentaries] that I might not enjoy, but I never do that for recreational media consumption).

Seriously... I pity people that can't find anything better to do than "hate watch" tv shows. Personally, if my life ever sunk to that level I would seriously start looking for the nearest bridge. Some people apparently enjoy wallowing in negativity I guess. What a great way to live life!

ron
post #604 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helson View Post
A great finale. But, I was left wondering, what happened with the override device. I also wondered about that wry smile he flashed to Cloe. He wasn't even bound on the helicopter. Just hopped in and took a seat.
That's one thing I could not remember this morning! If they did not handcuff Jack, then based on previous seasons I would expect Jack to overtake the guys in the copter then commandeer it, or at least cause it to crash and kill everyone, rather than let the Russians take him.

A few thoughts (in no paticular order):

The Russians were to blame for what happened in that last day (the previous series finale), and Jack took the blame to keep a war from starting. But four years later, and after being responsable for not only averting a war with China, but saving the U.S. Presidents life, I would think Keller would step in after he discovers what the russians did, and try to clear things with Russia.

Most of this current day revolved around 24's version of an "Oscillation Overthruster" (see Hitchcock's MacGuffin). Yet where did it end up? Chang took it, and it was never mentioned again, was it?

Kate F'd up big time! I don't have Secret Service training, but I've watched enough movies and TV shows to know that when you rescue your high value asset, you do NOT parade them around the kill zone, at least not before clearing the area. When Regan was shot, did they walk him around the block to shake it off? No, they surrounded him and wisked him away, even after tackling what's his face to the ground. Why? Because they can't know if there's another shooter.

Then she F's up a second time by calling Jack to tell him the news, IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OPERATION! Really? You know, I can suspend my disbelief just fine, but not my stupidity meter. That's why I have such a hard time with The Following. But as over the top as 24 can be, I usually don't have a problem accepting the story (Kim's activities not withstanding).

They didn't tell the president about Audry untill after he dealt with China, for a reason.

Anyway, I hope we see either Jack or Kate again. Though from what I've read the ratings weren't good enough.
post #605 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
That's one thing I could not remember this morning! If they did not handcuff Jack, then based on previous seasons I would expect Jack to overtake the guys in the copter then commandeer it, or at least cause it to crash and kill everyone, rather than let the Russians take him.
Right. Seems like they are always unaware of Jack's ability to fly an aircraft.
phildaant likes this.
post #606 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Question

Quote:
Right. Seems like they are always unaware of Jack's ability to fly an aircraft.
Maybe Jack gave up for them?
post #607 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
What was the silent clock for at the end? Audrey already got hers when she died, I guess it's for Heller's mind? or maybe the show's?
For Jack being hauled off to Russia, which is presumably a rather dire situation.

First 24 episode to have two silent clocks.

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_clock
post #608 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Boring and unimaginative time jump.

Thankfully the rest of it was a pretty great and typical Bauer Hour. Jack adds two more weapons to his rampage arsenal. The meat cleaver and katana!

I liked the ending. I thought Heller had a fine goodbye scene, Jack and Chloe had a touching moment and everything else sets up the premise for another season. Rogue Kate rescuing Jack from Siberia. Although Kate should have got a slap in the head for telling Jack that Audrey was dead while he was on mission. Jeez, come on Kate. You don't give him news that can potentially cause him to lose focus, even if it does mean he turns into Vengeance Machine again.

Decent season overall. They avoided a lot of the usual stupid and Jack Bauer is still the best, loneliest and most tortured (anti)hero on television. Kiefer does not disappoint.
acebreathe and phildaant like this.

post #609 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User7007 View Post
Had a quick question on the Audio stream, for Season 9....I am a Comcast Subscriber in Seattle and have a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver and it seemed like the center channel dialogue was not as strong as when I play say a Blu-Ray Movie running thru the same setup....
It's not unusual for local affiliates to futz with the audio and screw it up and not unusual for the feed to go bad in one area. Of course comparing audio with someone else is kind of futile anyway unless they have the exact same equipment and AV parameters.

There was nothing unusual here but I had to crank up the audio in some of the early scenes because the quieter dialog was a bit lost. But then again I was stuffing my face with a bag of chips at the time.
phildaant likes this.

post #610 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Though from what I've read the ratings weren't good enough.
On the contrary I was under the impression ratings were rather good throughout the season, as well as reviews by the way. I think Fox should continue with the show (at least for more season? And at some point someone should say during those meetings "okay this is gonna be the last one this time so maybe we should come up with a PROPER ending!") as long as Kiefer wants to/can do it.
post #611 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I thought Day 8's finale was a great way to end the show. We were still being promised a feature length film then and the show's finale was a great jumping off point. And even if they didn't make the movie the bad guys were punished and Jack was free to pursue a new life elsewhere. You could imagine him anyway you wanted.
The Season 8 finale was the worst episode the show has ever had. I honestly don't even know how it's possible to like anything about it.

For as much grief as I've given this season, I thought this finale was pretty good.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #612 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
@phildaant ..

Is there anything you don't like?
phildaant likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #613 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
@phildaant ..

Is there anything you don't like?
Yeah, it's over for now. :P
post #614 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Although Kate should have got a slap in the head for telling Jack that Audrey was dead while he was on mission. Jeez, come on Kate. You don't give him news that can potentially cause him to lose focus, even if it does mean he turns into Vengeance Machine again.

Of course, he would have succeeded one way or the other, but after hearing the news, Jack went all Rambo on the bad guys' asses and finished the job in record time. If he had not done so in a timely manner, war could have broken out because the U.S. was forced to fire on the Chinese forces for crossing into U.S. territory.

And, Kate probably would have gotten the "picked up by the throat with a gun to your head" greeting if Jack found out much later that Audrey was dead and Kate didn't tell him right away.
post #615 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Looking forward to the next outing named, 24: Really Final, and We Mean It.
post #616 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm not really looking forward to another 24. It has had a good run. RIP

I am looking forward to the day when I can get instant 300+Mbps file transfers to a laptop anywhere.
phildaant likes this.
post #617 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
I'm not really looking forward to another 24. It has had a good run. RIP

I am looking forward to the day when I can get instant 300+Mbps file transfers to a laptop anywhere.
I hope Fox doesn't resume 24 any time soon. Let's take a break like we did between day 8 and 9. I'd like to see a movie for day 10.
73shark likes this.
post #618 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Like others, I fully expected an uncuffed Jack to commandeer the chopper and see the crew doing a dive.
phildaant likes this.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #619 of 725 Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
I liked the finale except for the very final scene which I found very anticlimatic. Never did care for Audrey, maybe it's the actress, for I didn't like her Grey's Anatomy character either. But I did like Heller's remarks about his daughter's death and his health condition--very sad...
Now when did he admit to the UK PM that he had Alzheimer's? The PM's chief of staff advised him but he denied it.

Also wasn't the boat leaving Southampton docks last episode then suddenly it is on the East end of London?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
phildaant likes this.
post #620 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Jack surrendered peacefully to the Rooskies because he promised he would in order to get Chloe freed. He's a man of his word, even if that means calmly going off to be tortured and executed. Not to get all psychobabbly about it, but Jack almost offed himself on the boat when he heard about Audrey's death (great understated emotion from the Kiefster, BTW). He's had a pretty messy and difficult life. In some ways, he might be welcoming a "peaceful" death. And the Rooskies do have a point about S-8. Yes, he stopped the baddies but he killed a lot of "innocent" embassy personnel while he was at it. In their minds, they require justice and, at some level, Jack probably agrees with them. Because he's that kinda' guy.

But it's not to be because Kate & Tony are going to bust him out for S-10! Remember, you heard it first right here! Well, not first exactly, but you know it's coming! Because Jack Bauer does not simply ride peacefully into the Moscow sunset, dammit!

Agree that the final 12 hour jump wasn't really necessary except to get Audrey's body back to the States and give Heller his going-away (really!) speech. Jack and his east-European manservant could have gone after Chloe immediately. But they had to "fill-up" the rest of the day because that's the premise of the show.

I'm totally cool with them bringing the Bauer Power Hour back every couple of years as a summer fill-in series. '24' is a silly and preposterous TV show in its DNA. I never thought a feature movie, which many wish for, made any sense.
phildaant likes this.
post #621 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Now when did he admit to the UK PM that he had Alzheimer's? The PM's chief of staff advised him but he denied it.
That's easy... Heller forgot that the PM didn't know about the Alzheimers!
phildaant and SMHarman like this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #622 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I'm totally cool with them bringing the Bauer Power Hour back every couple of years as a summer fill-in series. '24' is a silly and preposterous TV show in its DNA. I never thought a feature movie, which many wish for, made any sense.
Agreed, if this is not the perfect summer show I don't know what is. Unfortunately the ratings did not bear that out for this run.

I thought the ending was fine but was kind of disappointed to see Jack go off to torture-land (or whatever) just like he did with the Chinese.
phildaant likes this.
post #623 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
’24: Live Another Day’ finale surges for Fox
Miniseries ender draws a 1.7 in 18-49s, up 21 percent
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Jul. 15, 2014

Jack Bauer checked out with stronger ratings.

The finale of the miniseries “24: Live Another Day,” a limited-run revival of the hit drama “24,” posted its best rating since June 2 last night.

“24” averaged a 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights, up 21 percent from a 1.4 last week.

Among total viewers, the show drew its biggest audience since its May premiere, averaging 6.5 million total viewers.

Fox has not said whether “24” will return, though producers have indicated they’d be open to another limited-run series.

“24” wasn’t the only broadcast series to grow. CBS’s “Under the Dome” rebounded from last week’s series low, posting a 1.9 18-49 rating at 10 p.m., up 12 percent over last week’s 1.7.
phildaant likes this.

post #624 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Among total viewers, the show drew its biggest audience since its May premiere, averaging 6.5 million total viewers.
This tells me there are more people watching it than the rating suggest. Whether its Amazon, Hulu, Torrents, etc, they're getting it somewhere. A show like this isn't something you can just pick and choose the episdoes to watch.

That just shows how important it will be for networks to monetize those potential revenue streams going forward.
phildaant and StinDaWg like this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #625 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
This tells me there are more people watching it than the rating suggest. Whether its Amazon, Hulu, Torrents, etc, they're getting it somewhere. A show like this isn't something you can just pick and choose the episdoes to watch.

That just shows how important it will be for networks to monetize those potential revenue streams going forward.
Also......lets hope Fox remembers how 24 was originally to be cancelled after S1 only to be reevaluated after the surge it received via DVD.

They had at least 2 ads during the finale for the upcoming BR for S9.

But yeah I agree in general the way TV networks/studios judge "popularity" really needs to catch up with the times. I am hoping for more House of Cards style shows......thou I do not think 24 would lend itself to that. There is just something about "waiting" that week to see what happens.
phildaant likes this.
post #626 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
A great finale. But, I was left wondering, what happened with the override device. I also wondered about that wry smile he flashed to Cloe. He wasn't even bound on the helicopter. Just hopped in and took a seat.
I seen that also, Jack wasn't even searched or bound. As for the override device, I think I seen it on EBay..
phildaant and gprace like this.

post #627 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
I seen that also, Jack wasn't even searched or bound. As for the override device, I think I seen it on EBay..
URL? [grin]
post #628 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I for one am going to miss the show. When I watch the show the episodes just fly by. I was a little leery in the beginning since the ensemble cast was almost all new characters but ended up getting past that fairly quickly.

The ending set up the next series if one is going to be made. I think once the 7 day DVR numbers are added in the network will be satisfied.
post #629 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Jack surrendered peacefully to the Rooskies because he promised he would in order to get Chloe freed. He's a man of his word, even if that means calmly going off to be tortured and executed.
Exactly. Jack knows the only way to stop Chloe being killed is to keep his agreement and the Russians know that they could strap Jack in to Hannibal Lecter's gurney and he could still overpower the guys on the helicopter using his eyelids and escape. So why bother?

Jack has to keep his part of the bargain because if he escapes or the helicopter goes down before arriving at Torture HQ then Chloe would be hunted down for information and revenge.
phildaant likes this.

post #630 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Liked: 33
Fox has a 24 panel at Comic-Con next week. Hopefully we'll hear about another season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Exactly. Jack knows the only way to stop Chloe being killed is to keep his agreement and the Russians know that they could strap Jack in to Hannibal Lecter's gurney and he could still overpower the guys on the helicopter using his eyelids and escape. So why bother?

Jack has to keep his part of the bargain because if he escapes or the helicopter goes down before arriving at Torture HQ then Chloe would be hunted down for information and revenge.
Exactly. You can see that Jack has accepted it and seems almost at peace. He's ready to pay for his sins and even the sins of others. He wasn't going to run from it anymore.
phildaant likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page