post #631 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHazard View Post
Fox has a 24 panel at Comic-Con next week. Hopefully we'll hear about another season.

Exactly. You can see that Jack has accepted it and seems almost at peace. He's ready to pay for his sins and even the sins of others. He wasn't going to run from it anymore.
I took it as Jack thought he could get out of this situation without working up a sweat.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
I took it as Jack thought he could get out of this situation without working up a sweat.
Based on the fact he considered killing himself I thought it was a clear sign that he was done fighting and he's content with saving his best friend.

Almost everyone Jack has been close to is now dead and he's caused the deaths of multiple people who just get in the vicinity. Apart from Chloe there's only Kim left and they are not close now. Jack did one last job and he's ready to pay for his actions and fade away.

Of course, he thinks he's out. Until they pull him back in.
phildaant likes this.

post #633 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Based on the fact he considered killing himself I thought it was a clear sign that he was done fighting and he's content with saving his best friend.

Almost everyone Jack has been close to is now dead and he's caused the deaths of multiple people who just get in the vicinity. Apart from Chloe there's only Kim left and they are not close now. Jack did one last job and he's ready to pay for his actions and fade away.

Of course, he thinks he's out. Until they pull him back in.
Yep, Jack and Chloe were the close ones. Wait, didn't Chloe meet Jack in CTU in one of the later seasons? I don't remember her in season 1.

Last edited by phildaant; 07-16-2014 at 02:13 PM.
post #634 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Fox has a 24 panel at Comic-Con next week. Hopefully we'll hear about another season
Jack Bauer: Escape from Siberia

#nineseasonsavideogameatvspecialandamovie

post #635 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Yep, Jack and Chloe were the close ones. Wait, didn't Chloe meet Jack in CTU in one of the later seasons? I don't remembe her in season 1.
Holy crap I forgot all about that. It was season 3 before Chloe appeared! It feels like she has always been on the show.

Some day I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series. Maybe in real time to get the full Bauer experience.

No point waiting for a Blu-ray set now so I'll have to make do with Netflix. It took them this long just to make the DVD set and now there's another season to stick in the box.
phildaant likes this.

post #636 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Holy crap I forgot all about that. It was season 3 before Chloe appeared! It feels like she has always been on the show.

Some day I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series. Maybe in real time to get the full Bauer experience.

No point waiting for a Blu-ray set now so I'll have to make do with Netflix. It took them this long just to make the DVD set and now there's another season to stick in the box.
Um, I thought Amazon has 24 now.
post #637 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really? I have Prime but by the time I get around to watching it I wouldn't be surprised if the rights have been bought by Yahoo.

post #638 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Really? I have Prime but by the time I get around to watching it I wouldn't be surprised if the rights have been bought by Yahoo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=24+amazon+netflix ...

Heh, can Yahoo! afford the rights?
VisionOn likes this.
post #639 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=24+amazon+netflix ...

Heh, can Yahoo! afford the rights?
Depends how much money they are willing to throw at it to get a piece of the streaming pie. They just bought the rights to Community and in doing so let the world know that they show television on Yahoo.

I can't keep up with who is grabbing the rights to what each month now. If the future is internet streaming it's going to require subscribing to as many services as there are channels now just to watch stuff.
phildaant likes this.

post #640 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Depends how much money they are willing to throw at it to get a piece of the streaming pie. They just bought the rights to Community and in doing so let the world know that they show television on Yahoo.

I can't keep up with who is grabbing the rights to what each month now. If the future is internet streaming it's going to require subscribing to as many services as there are channels now just to watch stuff.
I don't think Community is valued much as 24. 24 is a hot item!
post #641 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Not to get all psychobabbly about it, but Jack almost offed himself on the boat when he heard about Audrey's death (great understated emotion from the Kiefster, BTW).
Baloney. There was nothing in that scene to indicate that Jack considered "offing" himself. Jack is not a wimp. And he definitely had incentive to finish this job. Kiefer did an outstanding job of conveying his emotions without emoting. His turn from sorrow to anger in his facial expression was one of the best things I've seen him do in the series.
post #642 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Baloney. There was nothing in that scene to indicate that Jack considered "offing" himself. Jack is not a wimp. And he definitely had incentive to finish this job. Kiefer did an outstanding job of conveying his emotions without emoting. His turn from sorrow to anger in his facial expression was one of the best things I've seen him do in the series.
Erm...I read that scene as Jack contemplating suicide as well. There's virtually no other reason for him to pull out his pistol and then holster it back.
post #643 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Holy crap... Some day I'm going to have to rewatch the entire series. Maybe in real time to get the full Bauer experience.
Yeah.. but ya gotta do it in real-time straight thru, without stopping to eat or go to the bathroom (to get the full Bauer experience) . . .
phildaant likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #644 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
Erm...I read that scene as Jack contemplating suicide as well. There's virtually no other reason for him to pull out his pistol and then holster it back.
Yep, he pretty much gave up after finding out Audrey died. But then hearing the footsteps above him made him angry to go on a shooting rampage. :O
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #645 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Yeah.. but ya gotta do it in real-time straight thru, without stopping to eat or go to the bathroom (to get the full Bauer experience) . . .
But he did do those during the commercial breaks and scenes that didn't show him. [grin]
post #646 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yep, he pretty much gave up after finding out Audrey died. But then hearing the footsteps above him made him angry to go on a shooting rampage. :O
And cleaver and katana rampage.
phildaant likes this.

post #647 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Lol. The meat cleaver was classic.
phildaant likes this.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #648 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
We still get 24 on Netflix Canada.
phildaant likes this.
post #649 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We still get 24 on Netflix Canada.
Interesting. It must be an US thing.
post #650 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Interesting. It must be an US thing.
Different countries have different agreements. When I was using Netflix on my iPad in the in US, it gave me the US collection of TV and movies.
phildaant likes this.
post #651 of 725 Old 07-16-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 70
He's cheated death and escaped the clutches of the Chinese and the Russians.

He's evaded the US intelligence agencies.

So we know if there's money for another season, Jack will be out.

So why bother even having the scene of him surrendering himself (and of course the predicate of having Chloe get captured)?

Maybe they wanted to end the seasons on a somber note. Rather than triumphalism for Jack saving the world again and again, they have to emphasize the personal sacrifices he's always making, being alienated from his daughter and grandchild, not being appreciated or treated like the hero by the people whom he's saved, etc.

They did that in past seasons, him walking off alone into exile, not receiving any expressions of gratitude.

Yet we know he doesn't hold a grudge because he always comes back when there's a plot brewing. He doesn't mind going off alone at the end of seasons but he's somewhere, always monitoring situations to come to the rescue again. So he's like an unmasked Batman, taking vigilante action to the nth degree. Batman only helped the hapless Gotham PD but Jack is doing the job that the intelligence community of the lone superpower can't do.

It's like a co-dependence situation. He can't stay away from the action, when there's a plot, he has to show up. Now, he's not some glory or famewhore, maybe just addicted to the action, to killing, torturing, screaming, etc.
phildaant likes this.
post #652 of 725 Old 07-17-2014, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Why else would he pull his pistol? He didn't need it for the fight because when he heard footsteps he put it away. So he obviously was not pulling it out to shoot people.
phildaant likes this.

post #653 of 725 Old 07-17-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Baloney. There was nothing in that scene to indicate that Jack considered "offing" himself.
You are outnumbered.

Not at all surprised to see Jack take a helo ride with the Russians. His fate was sealed when Heller told him he was given a full pardon. Jack Bauer doesn't mow lawns, garden, take care of grandchildren, or read books. Jack Bauer tortures, is tortured, and kills. Although, I can see the permanent finale of 24 coming to a close with Jack returning to the states and being greeted at the airport by Kim and her family. Minus the man-bag, of course.
phildaant likes this.
post #654 of 725 Old 07-17-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I definitely took that as a sign he was contemplating suicide.
phildaant likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #655 of 725 Old 07-17-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Although, I can see the permanent finale of 24 coming to a close with Jack returning to the states and being greeted at the airport by Kim and her family. Minus the man-bag, of course.
All I ask of Howard Gordon and his fellow producers is that he makes sure Kim runs out to greet Jack on the tarmac, wearing her trademark white "wife-beater" tee-shirt, preferably in slow motion, for old time's sake.

Just asking for a friend.
phildaant and SMHarman like this.
post #656 of 725 Old 07-21-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just binge watched the whole season after waiting until it was done. I absolutely loved 24 back in the day, but unfortunately I found this season to be pretty lacking. I haven't read any of this thread, but I'm going to go back after posting this. My brief impressions... well it is always fun to see Jack Bauer be Jack Bauer. But this was an extremely formulaic season for a show that used to pride itself on surprise and shock. Audrey was an absolutely unnecessary, wasted death thrown in as an afterthought, it felt like. There was absolutely nothing new this season. Even the cliffhanger ending has been done before. A corrupt agent, a government aid who did secret bad things, the death of Jack's girl, and over the top tech. It was all very unimpressive.

A couple of points of errata I want to mention. Watching the episodes back to back made it real obvious how much they fudge the time between xx:59:59 and xx:00:00. I can think of one example when Chloe was with Cross in the car at 59:59 and at the start of the next episode they were seated and eating in a café.

The tech situations really bothered me this season. Early on when Margot was using the drone to track Jack and her daughter in the car, it was ridiculous how quickly she was able to find them. Being able to hack into the drone's camera feed and loop the president, then get him out before the missile struck strained credulity more than even I could bear. And really just overall how complicate such an override device would be--arguing that it is even plausible--they worked remarkably quickly to program and hack things from public wifi.

Highlights were throwing Margot out the window and ashen getting samarai sworded to death. They keep finding new ways for jack to kill! Haha! I think William Devane stole the season and deserves Emmy consideration. One of the best monologues of the show's run at the end.

Looks like they are going to keep going, and I'm sure I'll watch because... Jack Bauer. But I can't say my overall impression of Live Another Day was positive. Maybe just...

Last edited by bpeacock22; 07-21-2014 at 08:24 PM.
post #657 of 725 Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 253
Anyone notice that one of the Tour de France leaders this week was Jack Bauer? Jack can do anything (except win the stage, but he came close)!!

But he was absolutely thinking about offing himself when he pulled the pistol, don't know how you can look at it any other way.
post #658 of 725 Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Anyone notice that one of the Tour de France leaders this week was Jack Bauer? Jack can do anything (except win the stage, but he came close)!!...
Show us please?
post #659 of 725 Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Jack Bauer don't need no stinking bicycle race to show he's the fastest man on the planet. All that wizzing around LA and London in virtually no elapsed time showed us that. Chile', please.
phildaant likes this.
post #660 of 725 Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
You are outnumbered.

Not at all surprised to see Jack take a helo ride with the Russians. His fate was sealed when Heller told him he was given a full pardon. Jack Bauer doesn't mow lawns, garden, take care of grandchildren, or read books. Jack Bauer tortures, is tortured, and kills. Although, I can see the permanent finale of 24 coming to a close with Jack returning to the states and being greeted at the airport by Kim and her family. Minus the man-bag, of course.
LOL! ...but Jack is getting older and he's gonna need to retire at some point. I remember Kiefer Sutherland once said this character will have to die to properly end the series (was it at the time of season 4 or 5?). I don't agree because after all he has endured, Jack Bauer the character has become a myth, a way to right the wrongs of our post 9/11 society, he's the glimpse of hope that's still here when all else fails. He can't die. Because he should have died so many times already throughout his "days"... In a way I see him like Batman, he's a "symbol" of hope in this f-cked-up society. Sometimes with a lot of collateral damage but the job gets done. 24 without him wouldn't be 24, unless another character (Kate?) can take over and be the same "symbol". But it would be ungrateful imo to let him rot in Russia. Looking back at those 9 seasons, he has done so much, not only for his country but for the whole world, it doesn't make sense. He deserves more. While I don't expect him to mow lawns or take care of grandchildren, I think this character deserves some happiness when they decide to retire him.
phildaant likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page