post #1 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Fox mulls '24' return
by Lynette Rice

No one wanted to say goodbye to Jack Bauer, so why not have him return?

Fox is in talks to bring back Kiefer Sutherland the long-running action drama 24 for a limited run. Since the network is revving up a division that will eventually churn out event miniseries like a remake of Shogun, a revisit to the successful 24 franchise could be just the ticket.

Insiders caution, however, that talks are early. If the dream becomes a reality, the series’ longtime executive producer Howard Gordon — who reportedly pitched the return in the first place and has since moved on to Showtime’s grown-up domestic terrorism hit Homeland — would return with the show.

Though the series ended in 2010, Fox’s sister studio 20th Century Fox didn’t want to see the franchise go away. There were talks to make the series into a movie but it never took off. Sutherland has recently starred in Fox’s Touch, which is not expected to return for a third season.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/09/fox-mulls-24-return/

Interesting. I would be for it, that is for sure!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kiefer Sutherland Will Be Back As Jack Bauer In New 24 Series
10 May 2013

24 is coming back, with original star Kiefer Sutherland down to reprise his role as Jack Bauer.

Deadline reported last night (May 9) that Jack Bauer isn't quite finished kicking ass and taking names, as FOX are apparently in the process of bringing back the 'real-time' action series 24 as a "limited series." Of course 24 would be nothing without it's lead man, and it looks as though Kiefer Sutherland has agreed to bring Bauer back to the small screen.

Following Deadline's report, 24 executive producer David Fury confirmed that the series has indeed been given the go ahead, sharing the news via his Twitter feed. Retweeting the original story from Deadline, he added: "Yep, I'm pulling double duty w/TYRANT. Whoo & Hoo!" Before adding, in reply to a question from a fan, that the reboot would be a "limited series" with 12 episodes altogether.

Kiefer Sutherland will be back as Jack Bauer

Since the show ended in 2010 following a successful eight season run, a movie version of the show immediately began to be written, with Sutherland keen to reprise his role the as anti-terrorist agent and Training Day's Antoine Fuqua brought in to direct. However Fuqua announced earlier this year that the project has been shelved and showed few signs of being brought back, with the announcement of a new series potentially ending the hopes of a film for good.

Sutherland has long maintained his commitment to 24 and often said that he will continue playing Jack Bauer for as long as he is ask, add that to the sheer number of people who would be interested in seeing a big screen adaptation of the series then maybe a 24 film isn't completely out of the picture. It haasn't been confirmed exactly when filming will start on the "limited series" or when it will air, but we'll keep you posted on the story as it develops.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/kiefer-sutherland-24-new-series-limited-anti-terrorist-fox-movie_3655247

post #3 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I’ve had my fill of, “Put your weapon down.” It ran its course and I couldn’t wait for it to be over. Sometimes its best to let a good thing die - Jack Bauer voice.

I have to wonder how much the incident in Boston helped to speed this up.
post #4 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I can see it now -

Jake! Jake!
Hey, Buddy....(in a mild voice) please, put your weapon down wink.gif

24 was an excellent show for its time but it should be allowed to RIP, IMO.

Steve
post #5 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"You're running out of time", "Damnit". Re-watching Jack on D Audience network... Season 4 starts Tuesday with the great Habib Marwan as Jack's foil, and President Weasel..
24 coming back... "Copy that"
post #6 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am kind of excited by it because they are saying a limited run so if it isn't a full season, it may be tighter instead of so many filler episodes where not much happens, etc. Might be a good format for it.

post #7 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
They should be able to come up with something a little more original, and have a bigger canvas to play with not having to worry about multiple seasons or cliff hangers. Dare I hope for something as compelling as cable tv offerings such as The Americans or Homeland?
post #8 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Fox mulls '24' return
by Lynette Rice

No one wanted to say goodbye to Jack Bauer, so why not have him return?

Fox is in talks to bring back Kiefer Sutherland the long-running action drama 24 for a limited run. Since the network is revving up a division that will eventually churn out event miniseries like a remake of Shogun, a revisit to the successful 24 franchise could be just the ticket.

Insiders caution, however, that talks are early. If the dream becomes a reality, the series’ longtime executive producer Howard Gordon — who reportedly pitched the return in the first place and has since moved on to Showtime’s grown-up domestic terrorism hit Homeland — would return with the show.

Though the series ended in 2010, Fox’s sister studio 20th Century Fox didn’t want to see the franchise go away. There were talks to make the series into a movie but it never took off. Sutherland has recently starred in Fox’s Touch, which is not expected to return for a third season.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/09/fox-mulls-24-return/

Interesting. I would be for it, that is for sure!

Only if it is combined with the original Star Trek: "He's dead, Jim. Jack Bauer is really dead." Episode #3 would be fine.
post #9 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This thread is a good enough excuse for me to post this for those 24 fans who may not ever come across this before.

CollegeHumor: 24: The Unaired 1994 Pilot
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3052195/24-the-unaired-1994-pilot

I crack up every time I watch this.
post #10 of 697 Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I am kind of excited by it because they are saying a limited run so if it isn't a full season, it may be tighter instead of so many filler episodes where not much happens, etc. Might be a good format for it.

When you consider that the majority of 24 seasons have been stories told in three chapters it should be easy to adapt.

There have been plenty of seasons where it peaked in the first chapter (preventing an assassination, nuke blowing up etc.) and then some other conspiracy angle was then revealed to keep Jack running around until the third chapter where they chase some other lead to the main bad guy.

post #11 of 697 Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
post #12 of 697 Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It was a good show but was beginning to seriously lack a fresh storyline as it was very repetitive the last few seasons, one season ends with Bauer saving us from big terror attack, then next season starts with him being outed by everyone in the Gov't that he just saved, until its too late then he swindles his way back in to save the day again, loved first few seasons. Will watch it when it starts again just hope it's more in depth and has a fresh storyline, maybe more continuous like Homeland on Showtime which I believe is produced or written by same guy that did "24"
post #13 of 697 Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8ter2 View Post

Will watch it when it starts again just hope it's more in depth and has a fresh storyline, maybe more continuous like Homeland on Showtime which I believe is produced or written by same guy that did "24"

I can't imagine they would air a higher quality product on broadcast TV. It would eat up the premium market.
post #14 of 697 Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Being a limited run (i.e. not an apparent full season, but more a miniseries), I wonder if they go the route that the movie was supposed to take - NOT have it happen in "real time"? Might not be '24" w/o the digital clock beep, but seeing KS as Bauer kick ass again may be enough for most.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #15 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

limited run, short season, whatever it's called, I'll watch it again smile.gif but I am glad they're not going to go the full 22-24 episode route. a mini-series kind of approach will be just fine.

Steve
post #16 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Liked: 19
A few more pieces of information from the various news items today about 24 (the Fox upfront phone call, Fox press release, interview with the producer, etc.):

* Definitely a 12-episode season (calling it a "limited series" sounds silly when there are plenty of cable shows with 10-13 episode seasons)
* Will probably premiere in May 2014 (as part of Fox's new attempt at a "year-round programming schedule")
* The 12 episodes will cover one day, just like the previous 24-episode seasons
* Each episode will occur in real time, just like S1-S8 episodes, but some hours will be skipped (which could mean a wider range of locations, with "travel time" being skipped -- or maybe that's when everyone eats, uses the bathroom and gets some sleep!)
post #17 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds like Kiefer is enthusiastic about playing Jack Bauer as much as he's allowed to do so. The ratings have always been good, haven't they? That means that we will be seeing 24 for years to come.

Like always, the show will be as good as the writing. Kiefer is a very good hero and the only limitations of the program will be the plotting - how far they wander into complete unbelievability and dopey personal stories and situations where Jack saves someone while putting millions at risk by doing so. Play it straight, writers, use a little common sense, don't irritate us, and this could be a long term winner.
post #18 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey now that Happy Endings has been cancelled, that means Elisha Cuthbert is available too!
post #19 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 19
Here are the averages (from Wikipedia) for S1-S8:

S1 - 8.60 million
S2 - 11.73 million
S3 - 10.30 million
S4 - 11.90 million
S5 - 13.78 million
S6 - 13.00 million
S7 - 12.62 million
S8 - 9.31 million

In 2013/2014, I'm guessing Fox would be thrilled with the S8 (or even S1) average in the overnights (I think that would make 24 one of the top scripted shows on the network).
post #20 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I hope they don't soften Bauer and keep him a badass. Even though it won't a true 24 season, its just great to have Jack back.

Quote:
24: Live Another Day, which will likely premiere in May 2014 and
run through the summer, according to Reilly, is being promoted as
an event series and will consist of 12 episodes rather than the
traditional 24.

"It will go in chronological order of the day, but it'll skip hours," Reilly told reporters.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/fox-announces-24-revival-american-idol-shakeups-141900014.html

Growing Older But Not Up
post #21 of 697 Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Awesome news!!! 24 was one of the best dramas on TV. The rebooted season of Touch was not bad, but I much prefer to see KS back in as Jack.
post #22 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 604
It's funny how a few years tend to make us remember '24' with rose-colored glasses. We were all pretty much tired of it by the end, long after the point where it had become a parody of itself. It started getting derivative by the third or forth season and that trend just got worse as the central and immutable conceits of the show circled the drain for years afterwards until its inevitable cancellation. It was a mercy killing, not unlike something Jack would have to do for the greater good.

That said, however, I'm really looking forward to its return (which says a lot about the caliber of broadcast TV in recent years). After a few years off, maybe the show will seem fresh again. And the first time Jack yells into his cell phone: "Dammit Chloe, there's no time!", I will happily raise a glass (remember the '24' drinking games we used to play? Me neither) and bask in the familiar warmth of Jack Bauer once again being the baddest bad-ass in the whole television universe. smile.gif
post #23 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I still view the last few seasons of "24" through fecal-covered glasses, but am willing to give this limited series a chance.
post #24 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just hope it is fast paced, with multiple story lines that are wrapped up quickly, not dragged out and they just miss the bad guy, or he just gets away at the last second. They need to keep it moving along.

Oh, and no Cougars. biggrin.gif

post #25 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

"Dammit Chloe, there's no time!"...and bask in the familiar warmth of Jack Bauer once again being the baddest bad-ass in the whole television universe. smile.gif

Chloe saved Jacks' ass so many times, he can't count them all eek.gif
as long as it doesn't become the parody of itself it was in the last couple seasons, it should be a lot of fun biggrin.gif

I still remember Katie Sackhoff playing the poor sap, then turning out to be a double agent & next baddest bad-ass in the whole television universe wink.gif That's the Katie we all knew & loved wink.gif

Steve
post #26 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Figured the title needed updating.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #27 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

It's funny how a few years tend to make us remember '24' with rose-colored glasses. We were all pretty much tired of it by the end, long after the point where it had become a parody of itself. It started getting derivative by the third or forth season and that trend just got worse as the central and immutable conceits of the show circled the drain for years afterwards until its inevitable cancellation. It was a mercy killing, not unlike something Jack would have to do for the greater good.

That said, however, I'm really looking forward to its return (which says a lot about the caliber of broadcast TV in recent years). After a few years off, maybe the show will seem fresh again. And the first time Jack yells into his cell phone: "Dammit Chloe, there's no time!", I will happily raise a glass (remember the '24' drinking games we used to play? Me neither) and bask in the familiar warmth of Jack Bauer once again being the baddest bad-ass in the whole television universe. smile.gif

Season 8 got off to a slow and predictable start but exploded into one of the best seasons of the franchise after the first half. I'm also looking forward to this as I haven't watched much TV since the end of 24.
post #28 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

We were all pretty much tired of it by the end, long after the point where it had become a parody of itself. It started getting derivative by the third or forth season and that trend just got worse as the central and immutable conceits of the show circled the drain for years afterwards until its inevitable cancellation. It was a mercy killing, not unlike something Jack would have to do for the greater good.

I streamed the show (all eight seasons) virtually one season after another as I never watched when it aired. My take is the quality of the seasons bounced around to a large degree and wasn't linear. For some reason I remember more of season seven's details. Whether it's because I enjoyed it the most or the least I can't remember... but it sticks out for some reason. smile.gif 

post #29 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The character of Jack Bauer never got old.

What did get old was CTU constantly hiring moles (and not the more useful burrowing mammal), the dumb and annoying c-stories (the body in the wall for example), Jack always having to go rogue because nobody ever listened to him and the story structure that always meant that the middle was mostly just an excuse to keep Jack running around until the main bad guy was revealed.

post #30 of 697 Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I still remember Katie Sackhoff playing the poor sap, then turning out to be a double agent & next baddest bad-ass in the whole television universe wink.gif That's the Katie we all knew & loved wink.gif

I remember Katie Sackhoff as one of the worst things about the final season. Another stupid double agent plot and the ridiculous boyfriend distraction that created one of the dumbest loose ends in the show history.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page