ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
The fact that many if not most of us are sticking with the show is the most interesting quirk of it all. I posted before that if this show had no Marvel tie in, I'd surely be out by now and I get the feeling I wouldn't be alone. After all it has happened in the past with other programs, even established ones that had a good first season and dropped off in the second. But there is obviously some real potential with AOS and we all want it to get there. But I think the real carrot is some eventual tie in(s) to the big screen along the way. We all want it to work. They just need to get on with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Agree this was a step in the right direction, my favorite episode so far. Going to give the credit to Jed and Marissa though, it didn't really seem much like Joss' style to me.

The downside is that as the writing improves the shortcomings of the cast grow more obvious. The tech geeks show promise and Gregg is fine but the others still seem bland and unconvincing. They are clearly going for the ensemble feel of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, even Dollhouse, but so far haven't been quite able to pull it off.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #453 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I liked the skydive rescue but a little unrealistic since the plane would have traveled several miles before he jumped making it next to impossible for him to catch up to her. eek.gif

But then it is what it is and I enjoyed the episode. smile.gif

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #454 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I thought this was the best episode by far because it centered on the characters. Loved Agent Ward's grabbing the parachute and syringe out of Fitz's hands and leaping out of the plane. Very cool...

Robert Clark
post #455 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'll prefer watching this show when it hits bluray....watching it on ABC HD here in NYC is horrible, both audio and picture quality suffer. Has the show been renewed for another season? I hear ratings are in free fall...
post #456 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Has the show been renewed for another season? I hear ratings are in free fall...

No tv show would be renewed this early. It isn't even through it's first run of ordered episodes.

It was picked up for a full season so barring a complete disaster it will be on thru May. If it was to be ax'd after just one year we probably won't know until March at the earliest and probably more like May.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #457 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

No tv show would be renewed this early. It isn't even through it's first run of ordered episodes.

It was picked up for a full season so barring a complete disaster it will be on thru May. If it was to be ax'd after just one year we probably won't know until March at the earliest and probably more like May.
Sleepy Hollow was already renewed for season 2 and it's not through its first run, So it has happened.
post #458 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

That's not true at all.

It's actually becoming far more common - especially on cable - to renew a show after only a few episodes. There have even been instances where a show has been renewed before even the first episode aired based on testing feedback.

The idea is, the earlier the renewal, the more chance people will settle in to watch with some assurance they aren't going to be left hanging. It's even more importantant on highly serialized shows where people might not tune in if they think they won't see a resolution.
post #459 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Marvel better cut their ties to this thing before it drags down the whole franchise. Who ever thought this would be a good marketing tool should be fired because it will eventually have such a bad effect that "Big Screen Marvel" will have to counter with more marketing not less.

No one cares about these fugitives from a police procedural drama template. This is bad, really bad. It's almost like they went into the trash to pull this out after Stan Lee and Jack Kirby left the room when they decided the characters had to be more and they came up with the X-men.
post #460 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 192
^^Thats insane about renewed shows. I can't say I've ever watched a cable series so I definitely wouldnt know about that. Rob Owen is the tv critic for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and every spring around my birthday (late April) he starts his Keep or Cancel poll and feature story. Between that and the shows I watch always being renewed late in the year I assumed even among a popular series that was the norm.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #461 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Think this could have been a better production if they had gone the cable route as opposed to the network route?
post #462 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Think this could have been a better production if they had gone the cable route as opposed to the network route?
Doubtful.

ABC = Disney = Marvel. If keeping it all in the company doesn't get a budget and quality of story to help promote the movies, then it's not going to happen if it get passed off to some cable network with far fewer potential viewers.

Honestly, fo me, it's not the lack of stars or even superheros that spoils it for me.

It's mainly the complete lack of compelling writing. Superheroes or not, the stories suck.

Second in line is that I don't give a damn about one single main character in the show. They could all fall out of the plane without parachutes and replaced with the cast from "Twin Peaks" and it couldn't get any worse for me.

"We've got quite a mystery here: an empty plane and several bodies on the ground. There's a connection here, but to figure it out I'm going to need a damn good cup of coffee and a slice of pie. I'll take the blueberry that's been altered gamma radiation...it looks angry..."

Right now, I have two episodes sitting in the DVR I keep passing over for other stuff. Too many more and I'll likely just delete them and cancel the series record.
post #463 of 1390 Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Now this weeks episode is more like it! I thoroughly enjoyed that one and felt it was more along the lines of what I expected all along. Sure there was still some cheesy moments and I still don't have total buy in of the characters but everything about this episode was vastly better! I can actually say, I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.
post #464 of 1390 Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Disney’s Marvel and Netflix Join Forces to Develop Historic Four Series Epic plus a Miniseries Event Based on Renowned Marvel Characters

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/07/marvel-developing-four-original-series-for-netflix/214054/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #465 of 1390 Old 11-07-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
lets hope they were smart enough to make a deal that allows characters to cross over to other series this time. No more of the X-men / FF exclusivity movie contracts.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #466 of 1390 Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I can't say I've ever watched a cable series so I definitely wouldnt know about that.

NEVER watched a cable series? Uhm, just so you know, you have been missing the best the television art form has to offer. And you can catch up with most of it via DVD or Netflix if you don't want a cable subscription.

Back to S.H.I.E.L.D. - This week's episode was MUCH better. Better pacing, better characters, better story, better action, nice tie in with 'The Avengers'. This is how the show should have been right out of the gate.
post #467 of 1390 Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

NEVER watched a cable series? Uhm, just so you know, you have been missing the best the television art form has to offer. And you can catch up with most of it via DVD or Netflix if you don't want a cable subscription.

Back to S.H.I.E.L.D. - This week's episode was MUCH better. Better pacing, better characters, better story, better action, nice tie in with 'The Avengers'. This is how the show should have been right out of the gate.

Agreed. It should have been the pilot

post #468 of 1390 Old 11-09-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
This series is sinking fast...I'm just about done.

I could care less about these characters.
Coulson doesn't do anything for me with his robotic personality.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #469 of 1390 Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

That's good, so you're saying there's still hope, because they haven't hit rock bottom yet? biggrin.gif
post #470 of 1390 Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

That's good, so you're saying there's still hope, because they haven't hit rock bottom yet? biggrin.gif
Uhhh....well, yeah...I guess.tongue.gif

post #471 of 1390 Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This series is sinking fast...I'm just about done.

Coulson doesn't do anything for me with his robotic personality.

The jury is still out for me, but I see where you're coming from...

The thing is, that brief scene of Colson at the end showing his unease and confusion about what actually has happened to him, made the character deeper and more interesting than all that had come before. If they pursue that angle the series could still save itself.

post #472 of 1390 Old 11-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Shows based on movies tend to do well but fail weeks after the pilot airs.
post #473 of 1390 Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Shows based on movies tend to do well but fail weeks after the pilot airs.

You mean like M.A.S.H.? How about Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The Odd Couple? Friday Night Lights? Highlander? La Femme Nikita? Terminator: SCC? The various Stargates?

The truth is, the only thing guaranteed regarding a series based on a movie is a higher initial sampling based on name recognition. After that it succeeds or fails on its own merit - see above. Those were all very good shows, better than the movies they were based on in some, if not most cases. The jury's still out on this one.
post #474 of 1390 Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

The jury is still out for me, but I see where you're coming from...

The thing is, that brief scene of Colson at the end showing his unease and confusion about what actually has happened to him, made the character deeper and more interesting than all that had come before. If they pursue that angle the series could still save itself.
It's possible, but I don't know....
They need to re-work all of the characters IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Those SOME were all very good shows, better than the movies they were based on in some, if not most cases.
FIXED.tongue.gif

post #475 of 1390 Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I am not going to subscribe to Netflix just for those shows... so I'll have to wait. I don't otherwise have a need for Netflix, so I'll pay attention to reviews and see if they come out on home video at some point.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #476 of 1390 Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Since cutting the cable Hulu+ is making up the difference and where I'm watching these shows WITHOUT BANNERS! They seem to be the Avis of streaming ("we try harder") as they responded quickly to my report of "Dracula" throwing an error when trying to stream it with the Chromecast (now fixed). I watch most of the few network TV shows I watched on cable on Hulu except for CBS shows which I can also watch either by going to their site and playing it in Chrome and "chromecasting" it to my set. Or using one of my Android devices with HDMI out and using the CBS app except they hold back shows longer than they do on desktop. There are still ads but far fewer than you would get on broadcast TV (let's see how long that lasts).
post #477 of 1390 Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Half way into tonite's episode the wife let out a big sigh and said "I'm tired of this sh!t....delete it from the Program Manager."
I found I couldn't think of a good reason NOT to....

I'm done, boys....good luck with this.

post #478 of 1390 Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Lots of clues in this episode about Colson and another Tahiti reference. Hmmm....

I also liked the call out to Black Widow and Hawkeye. smile.gif

post #479 of 1390 Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Lots of clues in this episode about Colson and another Tahiti reference. Hmmm....

I also liked the call out to Black Widow and Hawkeye. smile.gif

Yeah that was nice. Now it seems Colson is starting to see he has a automatic response to Tahiti...
post #480 of 1390 Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 74
So what's next? Skye is either the daughter of an Agent or even a Superhero? mmm

I liked this 2 man team a lot, the 2 women team not so much

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page