ABC's Joss Whedon/Marvel Cinema Universe tie-in: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 1390 Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I disagree. Amell's acting is very wooden. Barely passable for television but he is very easy on the eyes.

Kaboom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1390 Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Why Coulson has to mention that he died in every episode? we get it! OK?

Ally McBeal boss is an alien! I knew it! LOL

I loved Peter MacNicol in this role - he was ab fab. I hope they use him occasionally.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #543 of 1390 Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I disagree. Amell's acting is very wooden. Barely passable for television but he is very easy on the eyes.

Wife and I both love Arrow.  But it's funny when we queue it up to watch she goes "time for the gun show!"   I get my eye candy in some shows and so does she.  Good times.  :)

Scott
post #544 of 1390 Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well not to digress into discussion about Arrow or the actors there, I was just trying to say that Marvel has cinema locked down and is by all accounts faltering with TV, while DC continues to falter on the big screen but does well on TV...and if they were smart enough to get their edge back for their overall cinematic universe, they'd tie in what they are doing successfully.

It's interesting that Marvel has also announced Netflix exclusive mini series for 3 characters and then a team movie for them. Maybe they thought network TV would work better for SHIELD, but maybe it would have been better served on the Netflix model instead....
post #545 of 1390 Old 11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I wouldn't say that the acting is particularly noteworthy on either show; Arrow just gives its cast better material to work with. I do find it hilarious that every SHIELD episode begins with a massive MARVEL logo (especially since Arrow episodes don't begin with a DC logo), just in case somebody doesn't know that Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is owned by Marvel. rolleyes.gif
post #546 of 1390 Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually surprised the official title is not something like "Marvel's Agents of Shield Brought To You By Verizon".... or whatever company you want to insert. Advertising is getting ridiculous as they figure out how to get into every moment we aren't fast forwarding our DVRs.

Side track: I read a review of the Xbox One that was largely favorable except the voice recognition. Aside from it just not doing the command you say, the actual commands are not intuitive. My point in this story is you can't just say "Open Redbox" to the Kinect. It won't recognize it. You have to say "Open Redbox Instant by Verizon".
post #547 of 1390 Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Side track: I read a review of the Xbox One that was largely favorable except the voice recognition. Aside from it just not doing the command you say, the actual commands are not intuitive. My point in this story is you can't just say "Open Redbox" to the Kinect. It won't recognize it. You have to say "Open Redbox Instant by Verizon".
See, I wouldn't put up with that. I'd just use the remote/controller. Then again, I also hate those voice systems that make you talk to the computer ("tell me how we can help you - say 'pay my bill' or 'upgrade my service'"). I just keep hitting zero until it gives up and sends me to a person.

I refuse to use words like "grande" in Starbucks. I tell them I want a large and stare them down until they give up making me use their jargon and pour the cup of coffee.

I'm officially over 40 now. I'm set in my ways and ready to slowly move out of the target market for advertising.

That's right, I said "large"....and I pressed "1" to get it....
UTV2TiVo likes this.
post #548 of 1390 Old 11-23-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

See, I wouldn't put up with that. I'd just use the remote/controller. Then again, I also hate those voice systems that make you talk to the computer ("tell me how we can help you - say 'pay my bill' or 'upgrade my service'"). I just keep hitting zero until it gives up and sends me to a person.

I refuse to use words like "grande" in Starbucks. I tell them I want a large and stare them down until they give up making me use their jargon and pour the cup of coffee.

I'm officially over 40 now. I'm set in my ways and ready to slowly move out of the target market for advertising.

That's right, I said "large"....and I pressed "1" to get it....

I think I love you wink.gif.

I too am over 40 and hate voice-activated anything. I can never get my Kinect to recognize anything I say (having a southern drawl doesn't help either, I'm sure) and calling the cable company is a nightmare. And I take my coffee large, not tall, skinny, etc. I want a cup of coffee, not a model smile.gif.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #549 of 1390 Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I once had a voice-activated toy car of sorts that was supposed to move forward when you said "start", except that it would also respond to "fart", while saying "Linda" would make it go into reverse. To this day I still can't take any voice-activated gadget seriously.
post #550 of 1390 Old 11-23-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Using voice to search in the mobile Google search app works pretty good, it's very handy too. Much better than Apple's Siri.
post #551 of 1390 Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay that made me lol. Sorry but I have to have my grande white mocha extra hot no whip.
post #552 of 1390 Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
:right click save as:

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #553 of 1390 Old 11-25-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Another crossover planned for Captain America 2: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111606

I'd like to see one of the movies have at least a post-credits scene featuring the team from the TV show.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #554 of 1390 Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

I'd like to see one of the movies have at least a post-credits scene featuring the team from the TV show.

Why? IMO, of anything there needs to be more crossover to the tv show. If I stuck around for a post credit scene afte Cap 2 for example and it was the Agents of Shield cast I'd be pretty disappointed. At least as it stands now. However, if it were a genuine set up to ultimately establish more crossover on the tv show then I'm game for that.

I was thinkin yesterday, during the anticipation of the shows premier I was excited and talked to my kids about it and how we could plan this weekly kind of thing to sit and watch it together. But they have no interest now I suspect because they don't relate any of it back to the movies. Again, not that it has to be a major superhero appearance each week but something their teeth into.
post #555 of 1390 Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I'm exactly the same way. And if the 'barrista' tries to correct me, I go into a whole tirade about how they've lied by calling their small size 'Tall' since it is clearly not tall at all, and that since we live in Southern California, they should know that 'Grande' means 'Large', not 'Medium', and that Starbucks doesn't get to redefine words for their own amusement. And then I carefully watch them make the coffee to be sure they don't spit in it.
UTV2TiVo likes this.
post #556 of 1390 Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I once had a voice-activated toy car of sorts that was supposed to move forward when you said "start", except that it would also respond to "fart", while saying "Linda" would make it go into reverse. To this day I still can't take any voice-activated gadget seriously.

I gave up on voice activated gadgets when Apple introduced the 840AV computer in 1993, and one of its big selling points was voice activation. Nice until you sat in an office with 5 other people, all yelling at their computers. That got REALLY annoying REAL fast. I don't think it was 15 minutes before we all turned voice activation off permanently.
post #557 of 1390 Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, that episode was really dark. Not in tone, I mean in actual light. It was very distracting. The only time it was really effective was the fleshing orange light when Tobias tried to take a swing at May. Well, pressing on... I guess I'm going to see this show through to the bitter end.
post #558 of 1390 Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:

Hmmm, that episode was really dark. Not in tone, I mean in actual light. It was very distracting. The only time it was really effective was the fleshing orange light when Tobias tried to take a swing at May. Well, pressing on... I guess I'm going to see this show through to the bitter end.

I agree that much of the episode was filmed in very low light but I liked it. That sort of thing can be very effective if you have a display with excellent black levels and watch in a dimly lighted room. I liked the episode for other reasons too. I was glad to finally get some insight as to why May is such a repressed hardass. I also liked that Coulson and Skye seem to be developing a mutual respect for each other. Thought the revelation of a sexual relationship between May and Ward was howlingly preposterous but two out of three ain't bad. smile.gif Actually there was another part of the show I disliked. The young actress who the poor bad guy was obsessed with was allowed to eat the scenery with far too much hysterical emoting. Meryl Streep would have a hard time pulling it off and that young actress sure as hell couldn't do it.
post #559 of 1390 Old 11-28-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Re: Ward and May. Well, that's Hollywood's answer to grief. Feel bad about something? Just have sex with the person nearest you; you'll feel better.
post #560 of 1390 Old 11-28-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Feel bad about something? Just have sex with the person nearest you; you'll feel better.

Not advice to follow when at a funeral.

Save that for the wake. biggrin.gif

post #561 of 1390 Old 11-28-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Re: Ward and May. Well, that's Hollywood's answer to grief. Feel bad about something? Just have sex with the person nearest you; you'll feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Not advice to follow when at a funeral.

Save that for the wake. biggrin.gif

It's that whole grieving process and being open and vulnerable that seems to happen sometimes. biggrin.gif

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #562 of 1390 Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The show is getting better. Having J. R. back certainly helped-they need a superhero on the team.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #563 of 1390 Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Okay that made me lol. Sorry but I have to have my grande white mocha extra hot no whip.

4 words. venti bold leave room. that's the ticket.
post #564 of 1390 Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Well way to TRY and leave some semblance of suspense with a cliffhanger then completely erase it with a preview of the spring episodes....

P.S. I'm not saying I was left in suspense as to either Coulson's or Ward's fates... just speaking the principle of the matter.
post #565 of 1390 Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

4 words. venti bold leave room. that's the ticket.

Am I going to need hospitalization after drinking this? My interest is piqued in ordering this...whatever it is.
post #566 of 1390 Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Well way to TRY and leave some semblance of suspense with a cliffhanger then completely erase it with a preview of the spring episodes....

P.S. I'm not saying I was left in suspense as to either Coulson's or Ward's fates... just speaking the principle of the matter.

Agree... the previews spoiled any suspense at the end of last night's otherwise reasonably decent episode.
post #567 of 1390 Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Agree... the previews spoiled any suspense at the end of last night's otherwise reasonably decent episode.

Grrr but then again I have come to expect this. Why can't they let people wait till the next episode! mad.gif
post #568 of 1390 Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 546
What, you guys really think the previews for next month's resumption of the show "spoiled" something? biggrin.gif You really thought Agent Ward was killed and Coulson was going to remain in his captor's hands? Seriously? Ya'll really need to stop getting out more and watch more tee-vee. tongue.gif
post #569 of 1390 Old 12-12-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Agent Ward. aka the worst person ever at picking a sniper position?

I'm also not in much suspense, but I intentionally do not watch previews or read the episode summaries DirecTV puts on the DVR to limit the amount of spoiling I get.
post #570 of 1390 Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It's like Chicago fire that also had a cliffhanger, they didn't have (or at least I watched) a preview for the rest of the season but we kind of known that the main character on the series isn't dying. Coulson is the main guy in this series.

(Well Six Feet under killed his main guy so..)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page